Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
me_saket

Samsung Corby Speed CDMA Launched

As a samsung corby Speed user I was successfully able to connect to EVDO through Ubuntu. I am sharing installation details of modem which may be useful for some.

http://iyappan.wordpress.com/2010/04/22/how-to-install-and-configure-reliance-mobile-broadband-with-samsung-corby-speed-sch-f339-%E2%80%93-on-debian-gnulinux-etch-or%C2%A0ubuntu/

I am plaining to buy new handset(CDMA) i am bit confuse which one to buy i have selectd 2 handset

Samsung Duos Touch W299 and samsung Corby TV

price wise both are almost same

i use more sms's which one will be better

activated the Broadband on my newly bought corby speed, its been 4 days 12 callls to cc still i'm not able use the EVDO :(

I am plaining to buy new handset(CDMA) i am bit confuse which one to buy i have selectd 2 handset

corby is no good for sms

go for W299

I find corby very good for smsing.

1)can store 1000 sms

2)can send(forward) sms to entire phonebook contacts (many groups) in one go

3)can back up sms to pc

4)user friendly interface.

Also use the EVDO for High speed surfing(on mobile & PC),TV,youtube,orkut,facebook,tweeter etc

activated the Broadband on my newly bought corby speed, its been 4 days 12 callls to cc still i'm not able use the EVDO :(

Try to register a complaint thorough rcom website.

Where to go in Mumbai to upgrade firmware?? Any near by area in Opera House, Charni Road or Lamingtone Road?

Is 2 months Live TV free or any hidden charges are there on it?

Can't Say Its' Reliance!!!

I find corby very good for smsing.

1)can store 1000 sms

2)can send(forward) sms to entire phonebook contacts (many groups) in one go

3)can back up sms to pc

4)user friendly interface.

agree.. typing on touch screen is a bit problematic but besides that it is very good for sms freaks....

5)can send sms to recent contacts too as there is option to select recent contacts while adding names.

Is there a firmware upgrade available for download or do I have to take it to Samsung store?

Is there a firmware upgrade available for download or do I have to take it to Samsung store?

It is better to upgrade firmware from the Samsung store which happens in 10 minutes.

Can anyone confirm the usage charges for Mobile TV in Corby. Customer care repeatedly says they are not aware about this. :confuse: :confuse: :confuse:

the firmware upgrade has to be done at samsung service centre , coz the samsung studio doesnt allow online updating of cdma corby so there is no other option

mobile tv charges on reliance are as per usage charge which is 60p/min

though there are over 20 channels

and each channel has few programmes list which have preview suscription of 0rs

there is also one hollywood movie channel and espn mobile tv

Where to go in Mumbai to upgrade firmware?? Any near by area in Opera House, Charni Road or Lamingtone Road?

Is 2 months Live TV free or any hidden charges are there on it?

Can't Say Its' Reliance!!!

well it took me too much time to search for samsung service centre in this region

i got mine done from MASTERCARE near curry road

there is a samsung service centre at lamington road

SADHWANI & COMPANY

377,LAMINGTON ROAD, NEAR NAAZ CINEMA MUMBAI, MAHARASHTRA

just tell them u need sw upgrade for mobile tv , they know whats that

@ankur

Thanks for details reviws, and ur effort.

13 hrs is low, even not 1 full day :NOTriste:

wat about group sms??

good to see that it support .vcf for phonebook.

plz revew inernet, get OMH sim from dealer.distributor. etc

sorry sorry sorry... That was a typing mistake... it was supposed to be 23 hours

this time when i charged it fully, battery lasted for about 22 hours with medium usage again (my medium usage means 2-3 hours of songs playback on earphone, 30 minutes of sending messages to friends. and 15-20 minutes call time... it may be considered heavy usage also.. :P )

Group sms is supported... just like other phones we can send msg to a group of contacts (groups can be created in phonebook)

MTS's OMH sim not available in our area... :(

I am getting 3 Days Full Backup on Battery

3 days ??? :confuse:

does it remain in standby mode all the time ?? or u use it also ??;)

Guys....i will have to take back my sentence on the battery life made earlier..only for the 1st charge i got 2.5 days.....now i am not even getting one day battery backup with full charge...that too, i only make or receive calls (not more than 60 mins of talk time). i neither play mp3 or fm nor browse....battery backup seems to be a major issue....added to it the charging time is very high ; close to 4 hrs...so, pls purchase this phone only if you are not worried abt battery backup...

When i bought Corby Speed CDMA, i had battery problem for few days, charging was taking too long and after 1 day the battery was discharging fully.

Here is what i did to correct the issue:

1. Switched off the phone then removed the back cover and took out the battery. Then cleaned the contact points on the battery and phone by rubbing them with a pencil eraser(rubber) wiped the contact points clean and then pressed the battery into position firmly.

2. Gently pressed the memory card slot to release the memory card. Cleaned the contact points of memory card thoroughly with pencil eraser(rubber). Then insert the card back and press it gently to lock position properly and closed the back cover.

3. Switched ON the phone and allowed it to run till the battery was fully drained and phone automatically switched OFF. Then charged the phone fully in the OFF state.

Since then my phone is retaining the charge pretty well, for normal use the battery is now lasting 3 days aprox.

It is a good idea to thoroughly clean the contact points of battery and memory card when you buy a new phone.

Note

-----

Allow the cell phone battery to fully discharge once a month and then charge it fully while the phone is switched OFF, this helps the battery to retain charge well.

the firmware upgrade has to be done at samsung service centre , coz the samsung studio doesnt allow online updating of cdma corby so there is no other option

mobile tv charges on reliance are as per usage charge which is 60p/min

though there are over 20 channels

and each channel has few programmes list which have preview suscription of 0rs

there is also one hollywood movie channel and espn mobile tv

does the new firmware support the higher video resolution say greater than 176x144? or its still the same

^^^

i dont think so

anyways i find the phone to be ok for normal use , not so bad

mobile tv is what makes this phone worth

^^

video Quality is good for mp4 at bitrate of 200kbps,FPS=15,Aspect ratio=1.222(176x144).

I am using above settings for my fav videos in corby.

^^

video Quality is good for mp4 at bitrate of 200kbps,FPS=15,Aspect ratio=1.222(176x144).

I am using above settings for my fav videos in corby.

yes but for larger videos the play back is not smooth. converted a full movie which was of about 90 mb the playback wasnt smooth.

i have upgraded to corby tv. its good...

Edited by bjagad

Hi all,

I m new to rimweb and find this forum to be extremely useful. I m "forced" to go for corby Tv cos i wanna change my handset and there are not many better options for CDMA users. Before i go for this change i wanted to clarify few things. pls help.

1) Can Yahoo messenger be installed on corby??

2) Is qwerty keyboard available to key in IM's while using messenger? Also how convenient is this keyboard? (size of keys is not an issue as i hav thin fingers).I m more concerned abt the response of keys.

3) Does this phone support stereo bluetooth headset?? Since the phone has common socket for headset and charger (real stupidity), I cud figure out the only way to listen to music on earphones while charging the phones is by using stereo bloetooth headset.

4) Can i use new OMH sim on my old handset ( spice c810) for making calls. It can come handy if corby's battery drains out cos i hv big doubts on its battery backup.

Kindly share ur experiences so that can take my decision.

Thanks.

you cant expect playback of larger videos to be smooth

the processor on corby is just tooooooo sloooowww

thats why i said for normal usage its a good phone , u cant demand much from it

For me tv is good.

High speed surfing and downloading on phone and on pc is quite good.

Smsing is very good.

I love fav contacts and photo contacts features.

Battery back up is more than a day with lot of smsing and surfing.

Other features are ok .

For me its a value for money phone(but with EVDO)

@sandy29

omh sim can be used with spice

2. Gently pressed the memory card slot to release the memory card. Cleaned the contact points of memory card thoroughly with pencil eraser(rubber). Then insert the card back and press it gently to lock position properly and closed the back cover.

i also just removed the memory card and re-inserted it.. and wwwhhhooo... battery started to last longer... :SI:

Is EVDO useful for WAP/ Surfing on Mobile.