• 5. Kaspersky
    • 6. NOD32
    • 7. Panda
    • 8. ZA Security suite
    • 9. PC-Cillin suite
    • 10. Others....
    • 11. I don't need any Anti-virus s/w

what antivirus do u use ?

thers too many to list...so if u cant find urs, pls tell us about it & vote "others"

I have tried

1. Norton AV

2. AVG

3. Trend Micro

5. McAfee

But McAfee cleared all the viruses

nav 2005 is out since more than a month, and its superb.

it has built in firewall which stops all spywares, that was the most wanted feature ppl were waiting for.

NAV is very bad and it uses much of system resources.AVG does not detect many viruses.Mcafee is so far so good :)

nav 2005 is out since more than a month, and its superb.

it has built in firewall which stops all spywares, that was the most wanted feature ppl were waiting for.

17417[/snapback]

Really ?

NAV will now ROCK even more!!! (yeh to ab chun chun ke marega)

i just loaded mc afee.... & i must say i was a fan of nav always...but this is really good & system seems to be faster.. but will check more & see how it stands spyware

U guys heard of the Eicar Test ??

its a kinda simulated or mock virus thats used to check how effective ur anti-virus really is... its quite safe - its NOT a virus...

STILL I ADVICE U TO READ THE LINK PAGE B4 U D/L AND TEST-RUN IT...COZ THERES A NOTICE ON THEIR WEBPAGE WHICH READS "Important note: You download these files at your own risk."

it comes in 4 different flavours...progressively tougher to detect(for the AV app)...i have attached the fourth double_zipped version here...if u wanna run a quick test, d/l it and run ur AV scan on it...If ur AV can pick the "virus" inside the archieve, U've gotta winner !!

If ur AV does NOT detect this...then maybe u can try scanning the easier_to_detect_versions....OR u can do the sensible thing of getting a better Antivirus

eicarcom2.zip

I use NAV and it passed the above test and deleted the file and I have been using it for a long time and no problem

Sometimes back I tried protectorplus a antivirus software at protectorplus.com but it was not so good and it used to leave some virus then came back to my NAV

NAV 2004 professional is good but it utilizes too much system resourses and really slows down the computer. However it doesnt detect spyware and you have to use adware removers like adaware to remove spyware ---- this is really irritating.

Just for info - nav pased the above test.

Regards

Ananth

NAV 2004 makes the system really slow...

today i updated my sys with NAV 2005.. Its quite gud.. Anyways better

than the NAV 2004.. It does make my system tooo slow as it used to be with old one :D

I have tried using NAV and AVG.... I think NAV is the best.

My McAfee detected the Eicar test file (above) the moment I tried to unzip it. :D

As soon as I downloaded this eicarcom2.zip thru DAP, NAV2002 detected it as a virus... instantly.

what's the difference between option 1 and option 2 ? norton is a product of symantec ... why are there two options ? could someone throw light on this ?

Yes symantec makes Norton....

but for some reason, they like to product it as two seperate group of products...

like under the name "symantec", they have

Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition

Symantec AntiVirus Enterprise Edition

Symantec AntiVirus Scan Engine

Symantec Web Security

...and atleast a dozen more products !!!

And similarly, under the name "norton" , they have

Norton Internet Security 2005

Norton AntiVirus 2005

Norton SystemWorks 2005

Norton Ghost

....and so on.....

THOUGHT I COULD GIVE ATLEAST TWO OPTIONS....

I think symantec brand is for corporate software and norton brand is for home user. what ya say??? :clap:

AVG also passed all the test from that site. :clap:

exactly ganesh....'Norton' brand seems to be for home and "Symantec' brand for corporate users....

u've said it in a nutshell :rolleyes:

Thanks for the wonderful URL rEdshiFt. I've downloaded all the files and went with two stages of test.

1. Although I didn't have the Zip utility with me yet AVG Free Edition detected the files as virus but failed to heal or remove from the PC. Here it shows:

tFavg.gif

2. Later I installed the WinZIP9 and extracted the files from the .zip archive. I tried opening the files but AVG Free Edition has got the Resident Shield which detects the virus and shows three options for "Enable Access?"

Yes No Heal

among which 'No' is selected by default.

3. I ran the AVG Free Edition thereafter and it detected the virus effectively and prompted to move it to Virus Vault (Quarratine for NAV?). Here is the proof:

vDavg.gif

What I like most about AVG Antivirus Free Edition are,

: It's Free

: It's Strong and Effective in detection

: It's Resident Shield never allowed me to open a single virus in 3 years

: It is very small in size (8MB Installer)

: It probably uses the lowest resource among all the AVs iscussed here.

New Generation of AVG Free Edition to Replace Current 6.0 Free Edition. The next generation of AVG Free will be available soon! You may download the second release of the BETA Version with the Serial Number and post your comments thereafter.

The new Beta version automatically scans emails one after one, directly from the POP3 site before they are downloaded by email client. Here is the screen shot that appears over the System Tray while Outlook Express downloads mails.

avgM.gif

That's why I say it again, AVG Rocks!

Edited by Utsav

AVG sure is very good ...and best of all its free! Surprisingly only 5% people have polled for it ...I guess its just not very well known. And about the system resources thing - I have used it on my antique 200 MHz MMX machine for well over a year!!! So you can imagine. And no virus has ever penetrated my machine... They also release updates for virus definitions quite frequently.

I use McAfee on my new machine though ...as I got it from the vendour.

Edited by raccoon

ya I agree AVG is a good option but its real time protection is not up to the mark. I have tested a lots of Antivirus according to my opnion Norton Corporate edition is the best Antivirus.

has Anyone tried using Kaspersky Anti Virus....? its russian...

i've tried a whole bunch of AV and finally settled for this....the very best piece of AV I've tried....

DONT take my word for it...google on it and read a coupla reviews...

btw, the AV definitions are updated every three hours by default !! ( if v want, we can get new definitions Every hour!!!