Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
kshah

All about LG 5130

psarkar, can you please explain in what way battery is bad?

also please let us know wether you have upgraded your handset or you have bought a new prepaid or postpaid connection ?

try to share your valuable experiences of the newest handset with all so that it can help others decide.

:angry: Hey can u share ur experience of handset with us.

How r colours? games? ringtones?

Can u add pic frm PC to handset??? :D

:unsure: After going through 2-3 info. of LG5130 I have 1 query.

In 1 info. it shows that it is 56K CSTN colour display while in other info. shows it is 65K TFT Colour display.

TFT is better than CSTN so is any body sure abt. Display type is it CSTN or TFT??

hi! it's 65K CSTN as shown on the Reliance Web Site but i m also confused coz i also read somewhere in this forum that it's 65K TFT

:unsure:

Here it is mentioned that its a 65000 color CSTN display

65000 color CSTN display, 5 lines + 1 Soft Menu line + 1 Icon Line, supports graphics and animation.

Main LCD: 128 X 128 pixels

5 Wallpapers: 2 default, 3 downloadable through R World

And here they've mentioned that its got a "65K TFT big screen"
Announcing the launch of the dream product, S P Shukla, President, Products and Services at Reliance Infocomm, said, "This is an extension of the 'Freedom Offer' that aims to bring about delight to our valued customers. It has data as well as multimedia capabilities taking the mobile revolution a step forward. This feature rich multimedia colour handset with 65K TFT big screen makes it an ideal choice for video clips, exciting games and wallpapers that Reliance provides through its unique R World application suite. This is a wonderful opportunity for the Indian market to enjoy a colour 3G experience at such an affordable price."

On the same page in the headers, its mentioned that its avl "With speakerphone and a bright 65,000-colour big screen CSTN display"

Umm! Quite an interesting Observation, tezo!

With this i assume its jus a CSTN Display. Wht r the implications?

Experts advice awaited!

Active and Passive Displays

Color LCDs come in two flavors: passive and active displays.

Active displays, the most common type of which is thin film transistor or TFT, provide a sharper, clearer image and a broader viewing angle than passive displays.

Active displays accomplish this by, among other things, refreshing the screen more frequently. They use individual transistors that control each pixel of the screen, while passive displays use a grid of horizontal and vertical wires.

One downside to active matrix is that a typical Pocket PC's color display, which is quarter-VGA (QVGA) or 320x240, contains more than 200,000 transistors, making it costlier to fabricate than passive matrix. However, this trade-off seems well worth it. Bottom-line, active matrix displays are clearly superior.

However, recent passive displays using new DSTN and CSTN technologies, and an even newer technology called High Performance Addressing or HPA, produce sharp colors that rival active displays. And again, passive displays are much less expensive.

DSTN, or double-layer super-twisted nematic, is a passive display technology that uses two display layers. This addresses a color shifting problem associated with conventional super-twist nematic (STN) displays. Still DSTN is not considered as sharp as TFT.

CSTN, or color super-twist nematic, is a display technology developed by Sharp. Although the original CSTN displays suffered from slow response times and ghosting, recent advances in CSTN have made it a viable alternative to active displays. The latest CSTN displays offer excellent response times, a wide viewing angle, and high quality color that rivals TFT displays. And at about half the cost

:lol: Thanks chirag for the compiment.

Well I think it's CSTN coz after going through other info, and excel file provided at rimweb.com for handset comparision it shows 16-bit colour in LG5130 I am not sure weather it comes in TFT also or not. But I think it's CSTN but in VX6000 or RD6000 it is TFT display.

Reg.: Other feathres can some one come up with the review.

:unsure: Its 65K CSTN 4 sure now. Coz checked with LG website

http://www.lgmobiles.com/rd5130specification.jpg

i have a lgrd 5130

but i am not able to access the greetings option in rworld-> messaging.. do all 5130 owners face the same problme.

the greetings option is missing.. hence no wall papers

:) Hey abhi, u can download 3 wallpapers I think.

Can u please pass some info. abt. 5130, (review) how is the resoluation? Ringtones? Is it better than other GSM 65K handset like samsung c-100, Nokia 3120 etc.

Plenty of ppl r waiting for the review of LG5130

Hi abishekkalro

U can get MMS from someone and set the pic as wallpaper and test that.

If U want me to do so I can do (if U wish to gimme Ur No).

My 7130 can store 10 wallpapers I think.

Also U can see if the images are accessible from bitpim so that U can upload Ur own using data cable (if U have a datacable).

hey does 5130 has a bluetooth or Infrared port for wirelessly connecting the phone for data transfer

:P Nope that is 4 sure.(no irda, bt) U can only conn. through data cable but not sure weather u can upload wallpapers, ringtones in that using bitpim.

Simply because bluetooth and irda cannot support more than 115kbps data speed RELIABLY.also these are simple enhancements.its best to use cable always.less troubles and more reliability :):rolleyes:

I'm surprised that no full review of LG 5130 has appeared here. I'm not talking of specifications but how the phone feels and more importantly how does it work compared to other phones.

Hope I didn't miss any review that has been posted.

Can any 5130 users share their experience please ?

Regards

Umesh

Hi guys, i'm new here. I saw the 5130 at the webworld, and had an oppurtunity to play with it for a while. The speaker is much better sounding than the 2030, and it can actually play bass sounds without breaking up. The ringtones are far better. The guys there told me that the USB data cable shud be available soon, but didnt say nething abt ringtone download from PC. When i askd they just said "u can download from r-world".

The handset looks cool, the keypad is good for smsing and suits my fat fingers, the 4 way keypad works fine, and the set feels light. The screen has awesome clarity, the interface is crisp, and best of all there's no lag for menus like sony ericsson and motorola's cheap GSM color handsets. The OS can easily keep up with the user's key presses. The colors are vivid and the downloaded photos look fantastic. Didnt try calling, but the call quality should be as good as the 2030 (better if the dealer is to be beleived).

The 5130 seems to be really good value for only Rs. 5000, considering the 65k color screen and the functions offered. My friend just bought a Sony Ericsson T230 and it cost Rs. 5000. it has only a 4K color screen, and the menu lag is terrible. but currently, he has a low tariff of only 1ps/sec from BPL MOTS, and that kind of offsets it.

Why is it that reliance users cant send sms to BSNL cellone/excel subscribers? And what is the matter with the call quality? It is nowhere near that offered by GSM providers. I thought CDMA was supposed to provide more voice clarity than GSM. And the handsets are supposed to be 3G too. Still, Reliance offers the best handsets for the prices they charge.

Why is it that reliance users cant send sms to BSNL cellone/excel subscribers? And what is the matter with the call quality? It is nowhere near that offered by GSM providers. I thought CDMA was supposed to provide more voice clarity than GSM. And the handsets are supposed to be 3G too. Still, Reliance offers the best handsets for the prices they charge.

Thanks for the description!

The questions u've posed, are answered more or less on other threads in the forum. Do read thru the forums and reply accordingly to those threads.

Try n avoid irrelevant material to creep in and stay in line with the title of the thread! :) U'll save me alot of time!

Keep posting dude!

yes, i've used the LG 5130. fully... its really an amzing phone..

any questions on it.please go ahead & ask.

i've used it & sold it & bought a LG 7130 now.

am yet looking for a 2nd hand LG 7230. i also need another LG 7130 or a 2nd hand Kyocera PDA. I dont mind a G-Trand also actually(but this is my last choice)

I can add my comments about this handset, I am using it for around a month.

1. Display: HORRIBLE! Cannot see anything if you hold it under sunlight. Moreover, the display shuts down after the phone is idle for abt 1 minute. This is a very irritating bug, which renders this handset pretty much useless! (Not sure whether it is faced by other users). Anyway, it wuld be nice if LG fixes it in the next software upgrade.

Screen resolution is satisfactory (imo) ...

2. Voice Quality/Audio/Speaker phone: Good

3. Battery Life: Satisfactory, at least wrt my usage pattern (arnd 1 hr talk time + 2 days standby time + lots of downloads, movie trailers, songs, etc)

4. Address book: It has a whopping 300 capacity address book, but I guess it is quite useless if one has to press 4 keys to reach the there. Also, search is very very ( arnd 3 secs delay) slow. It would be easier to search manually. Lastly another irritating feature(!) here - suppose you have a some entries starting with R but none that starts with P & Q. So, if you press P in search, you would expect that it would take you to O or R, right! (after all that is how most other phones behave...) However, here you get a fullscreen message saying that "does not exist", stays there for another 5 seconds and takes you back to the top of address book.

Bottomline: Packed with lots of features, buggy software, HORRIBLE in terms of user friendliness and usability.

Thanks for you time ... and please reply back if you have any workaround regarding the problems faced by me...

I can add my comments about this handset, I am using it for around a month.

1. Display: HORRIBLE! Cannot see anything if you hold it under sunlight. Moreover, the display shuts down after the phone is idle for abt 1 minute. This is avery irritating bug, which renders this handset pretty much useless! (Not sure whether it is faced by other users). Anyway, it wuld be nice if LG fixes it in the next software upgrade.

Screen resolution is satisfactory (imo) ...

2. Voice Quality/Audio/Speaker phone: Good

3. Battery Life: Satisfactory, at least wrt my usage pattern (arnd 1 hr talk time + 2 days standby time + lots of downloads, movie trailers, songs, etc)

4. Address book: It has a whopping 300 capacity address book, but I guess it is quite useless if one has to press 4 keys to reach the there. Also, search is very very ( arnd 3 secs delay) slow. It would be easier to search manually. Lastly another irritating feature(!) here - suppose you have a some entries starting with R but none that starts with P & Q. So, if you press P in search, you would expect that it would take you to O or R, right! (after all that is how most other phones behave...) However, here you get a fullscreen message saying that "does not exist", stays there for another 5 seconds and takes you back to the top of address book.

Bottomline: Packed with lots of features, buggy software, HORRIBLE in terms of user friendliness and usability.

Thanks for you time ... and please reply back if you have any workaround regarding the problems faced by me...

When I migrated to LG form samsung. I had a same problem with that. May be it is standard with LG CDMA.

But Now it is not a big issue for me.

It is just like first u used Windows Media Player and now using iTunes.

Not a big issue. :)

Has anyone uploaded custom ringtones on 5130 ?

Does the audio/midib directory show up on newer bitpim 0.7 - older version of bitpim(0.6) atleast doesn't.