Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
sgiitk

Open Cdma Samsung

Saw the advt in the TOI about a Samsung Handset for both Reliance & Tata. It mentione something like an OMH SIM card being used.

What is this card? How does it differ from the RUIM card? Is it specific to Samsung? What is its availability and pricing?

Does it indicate a trend that CDMA will become as open as GSM?

OMH SIM card is the new RUIM card for CDMA OMH (Open Market Handsets) such as the new Samsung OMH Mpower 699 handset which will store all the data & voice settings for network on the SIM card itself not the phone as previously in CDMA

This will help consumers to change operators just like GSM consumers :)

Edited by techlive

Do the old RUIM cards work on these phones?

maybe only for voice & sms but not for data

Thats good news. Another limitation of CDMA being done away with. I remember all the troubles I had to take to save all my numbers to new CDMA sim on the same phone.

just bought dis handset in delhi.. you need to upgrade your old simcard ( RUIM) which costs arnd Rs 100. All functions work including data after the upgrade. Reliance does not have OMH simcard and the reliance ppl dont have any idea abt OMH. They don,t even kno abt the handset. I bought it and took to a reliance store and they were arguing that this is a GSM handset and Not a CDMA handset!! Idiots!! but just ask for a new simcard and voila!! it works like a charm!!!

Cheers

@Narayan, where did you get this? how much you paid for it? and whats the handset model number etc.?

just bought dis handset in delhi.. you need to upgrade your old simcard ( RUIM) which costs arnd Rs 100. All functions work including data after the upgrade. Reliance does not have OMH simcard and the reliance ppl dont have any idea abt OMH. They don,t even kno abt the handset. I bought it and took to a reliance store and they were arguing that this is a GSM handset and Not a CDMA handset!! Idiots!! but just ask for a new simcard and voila!! it works like a charm!!!

Cheers

why u din't shown them that this is having ESN/pESN.

I have one doubt that ur old sim din't work with handset, but newer one is working for voice+data service???

i think u have purchased F699?

@moneyboy - Do I surmise that all newer RUIMS are OMH or there is still a catch! If so one need to simple cange the RUIM 5o a new one and is in business for any Open Market Handset.

Edited by sgiitk