Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
dkaile

Lets Discuss Wwan / 3g Networks

I am opening this topic to discuss various WWAN/3G (2G may also be discussed optionally) options that are available to us for connected mobility solutions for our Laptops/PC's.

We were previously discussing this topic here -

go for bsnl 3G; that will be better/cheaper option; will post review soon of their 2G/3G download speeds as soon as my 3G modem reaches me from us....

Edited by dkaile
<< Topic Split >>

^^ But, 3G is not available in all the circles.

btw, what is the tariff ?

230/- unlimited for 2G and about 3K unlimited for 3G.... but speed difference right now between 2G and 3G on bsnl is only 20% .....LOL.... but still the cheapest.... and they r promising 3.6MBps speeds on 3G.... launched here in Meerut... I tested and got about 30Kbps speed on 2G sim and 36Kbps speed on 3G sim... practically... so right now equivalent to bloody 256Kbps connection only...

Dear friend

Please inform what modem you used for 3G access. Is it worth to buy Sierra 3.5G unlocked modem for Bsnl.

Thanks in advance

Babulu

Got my Sierra 3G Card; tested for a while on Reliance GSM sim; internet working fine except I was facing problem that it was disconnecting every 1 minute or so on apn rcomnet; maybe some settings problem; will update after using bsnl 2g/3g sim...

Update 1.0: changed sim from RGSM to Idea and voila.... no internet drops; settings came automatically; stable 20KBps connection; RGSM s**ks (hetal, r u listening... lol); typing this from Idea connection on my Dell Studio 15...

BUT golly my jolly... I was charged nearly 60/- for a half hour browsing session... so its back to bsnl unlimited plan for the time being...

Edited by dkaile

friends

I am using AT&T Sierra air card 881 with aircell pocket unlimited internet and working fine.

BABULU

^

Grt; I am also on Sierra MC8775 mini pci card; kindly elaborate tariff rates, speeds u r getting (Test it www.speedtest.net ) and apn settings....

Edited by dkaile

I have seen the webpage in which it shows the sierra card... But in the picture, the sim card slot is not being shown?? is this card supposed to be programmed? and in which port does this card go in our laptop?? pcmcia??

Also do these type of cards come with factory built in any of the laptops/netbooks around?

^

These cards are now standard the world over; no netbook/notebook comes without them; their speeds range from 3.6 MBps (like this model) to 7.2MBps; only in India they are not as standard. Your notebook should have provision to install these cards, only then can you use them; Most newer notebooks have the provision; Its a PCI card and goes into the mini PCI Slot on the laptop. I opened the back cover which gave me access to the hard didk, ram, Wireless Lan card, Bluetooth Card and one slot was empty for WWAN; In this WWAN slot this mini pci card was installed. The SIM slot in such notebooks is also provisioned for which provide support to attach WWAN card. It was below the battery in my case (Dell Studio 15); I just pushed in the card, attached on screw to fasten it, attached the antenna cable (also already provisioned for), closed the back cover, installed the sim, installed the drivers and 3G watcher program(which I had already downloaded) and voila u have internet on the move on ur laptop....

Interesting feature... since im planning to get a netbook for myself, ill have this in my wishlist....

Update 2.0: I have taken Aircel prepaid connection with unlimited gprs for 98/- per month!!!!! Total cost 198 (TT 110 free + 98 gprs); Activated & Connected immediately; download speeds were 130Kbps; initially the connection was dropping, but became stable by night end; tested for abt 2 hours continuous use; also have taken 3G Bsnl sim today; Total cost 180 (60 for sim + 120 first recharge will give me Total 6GB free in first month (1GB in day + 5GB in night 11-7)) but as we all know bsnl, it will take 2 days to activate....lol

Edited by dkaile

Update 3.0: Well my BSNL 3G is operational. here is the speed test result -

667982595.png

So that means its equivalent to a 512 Kbps broadband connection. Not the 2-3MBps we were hoping. But its bound to increase in the future as its just launched this month. I paid 60/- for the prepaid sim and another 120/- in which I got 20/- Talktime and 6GB of Free Download for a month (1 GB in the day and 5 GB in the night (11-7)). Rest its rate is 1p per 10KB that works out to be 1Re. per MB.

Edited by dkaile

Here are some images of the WWAN Modem and how its attached to the Dell Studio 15/17 -

post-18748-12622714875_thumb.jpg

post-18748-126227154173_thumb.jpg

what is WWAN??

:previous: Wireless Wide Area Network

For computers without mini pci card slot, you can go 3G with the USB modems available from Micromax who incidently are also the official partners of bsnl/mtnl to provide 3G modems; it costs abt 3.5K in meerut; whereas i got the above sierra card for just 1.5k from hong kong through ebay.com... they shud seriously think of lowering the costs for mass penetration...

For computers without mini pci card slot, you can go 3G with the USB modems available from Micromax who incidently are also the official partners of bsnl/mtnl to provide 3G modems; it costs abt 3.5K in meerut; whereas i got the above sierra card for just 1.5k from hong kong through ebay.com... they shud seriously think of lowering the costs for mass penetration...

bsnl are allowing any 3g data card activated on their network???

^

Yes, they are bundling Micromax usb data cards as I have posted earlier along with free 3g connection for abt 3.5K....

Can we insert/fit one of these WWAN card in the netbooks like Samsung N120 etc ?

There is huge cost difference between the USB modems that are available on ebay and the ones available in the Indian markets. In fact Micromax's is only one 3G USB modem easily available in the market that can be used with MTNL/BSNL 3G networks. If some seller on this forum can import 3G USB modems in bulk, then it can be a huge opportunity to make some money. These WWAN cards will be even cheaper if imported in bulk.

Somehow I prefer USB modems over the internal cards that can be fitted inside a laptop because a USB modem can be taken out and used on any desktop/laptop in the office or home without much hassle.

Edited by starnet

As on date only MTNL and BSNL offers 3G service. Both of them offers 3G SIM which functions on any 3G device that support SIM.

@starnet

cant be sure about Samsung N120, but u need to look for a mini pci card slot on your motherboard to be able to install wwan card (look at posted photos) like the one i got from ebay; also there needs to be a provision for installing sim card; afaik most newer notebooks have both;

i have started using mtnl 3g on my HTC hermes and im just loving the speed

its way better than my airtel broadband

Latest Result BSNL 3G Location-Meerut, UP (West)

683380876.png