Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mukeshlst

Nokia Triggers Google, Introduces Free Navigation Service With Smart Phones

Nokia India today brings the good news for approx 25 million Nokia Mobile users in India with the launches of Free GPS based navigation access with all Nokia Smart Phones. Presently the new version of Ovi Maps, available on 10 Mobile phones with more existing models to be added soon. Nokia Ovi Maps is available for the Nokia N97 Mini, 5800, E52, E55, E72, E75, 5230, 6710, 6730 and X6 phones. Nokia made its advanced Ovi maps application free for all its smart phone customers across the globe. Nokia’s GPS based navigation provide turn-by turn directions to navigate in 84 cities across India and over a million landmarks can be viewed in 3D. For driving, the maps will offer lane guidance, while for pedestrians it even offers shortcuts such as through public parks. The Nokia customers could also use turn-to-turn directions for free in 74 countries across 46 languages.

According to the company, Nokia’s mapping technology offers several advantages over Google’s map Ovi Maps can live on users phone’s memory card rather than being continually downloaded to mobile phone, greatly reducing data traffic and letting navigation work even when the phone has no signal. Nokia Smart phone users can pre-load the maps and then set the Ovi Maps to offline mode.User can also view that in the offline option will be useful for those worried about data connection costs when traveling abroad.

The other features that come at free of cost with the Nokia navigation service include content from Lonely Planet, the world’s largest travel guide and Time Out, for all the 84 cities where the service is available in India. Users can also post their location to popular social networking site Face-book. Besides, customers in India can also avail digital guide to restaurants and also get weather updates for free when using Ovi maps.

A good move from Nokia. I have upgraded my OVI maps to version 3.03 in my 5800 Xpress Music and really amazing Nokia offering free voice guidance navigation.....clap.gifclap.gif

Before we need to pay for the voice guidance navigation and I havn't used OVI maps because of the charge, I have used Garmin maps . Now everything is free in OVI maps. But be aware may be Nokia expecting some from the users.. who knows...

But be aware may be Nokia expecting some from the users.. who knows..

^^^

I did not get this part ?

But be aware may be Nokia expecting some from the users.. who knows..

^^^

I did not get this part ?

First they will give everybody free usage of navigation as promotional offer. later we should want to pay for it. Until now they are charging for the navigation on Ovi maps, suddely they are offering it free. Whats the reason? Did they want to compete Google maps and Garmin Maps? Thats why I said like that.

Its about the market share. They have dealt a blow to NexusOne -which comes with free navigation, and all other smart-phone makers who rely on third party software (RIM, APPLE, etc). Its similar to Reliance's 50p/min move in the sat-nav market. Nokia can afford to do it as they own NavTeq - the biggest mapping company in the world, others still have to pay for mapping data.

And its not promotional - till yesterday new Nokia phones came with a 30-90 days free license, now they have made it totally FREE.

lol

and what about those poor souls who bought 1yr /3yr license of voice guided navigation navigation

^^^

the should get refund, or some choice of some other service.

but these corporates are biggest choor in market, they will never do this.

nokia has clearly mentioned that this licence is free for lifetime.

so do not make any dought. and enjoy...

really sad for those people who has purchased licence or navigation edition handset with extra cost...

i don't think Nokia will refund any money...Nokia didn't make any commitment about future licensing terms with those people...

nokia is worst in after sales srvice

they will not refund money

even if thy will announce some refund to people who bought license , they will do hundreds of nakhras to give them

cant help it bro. its the same case as in moto razr. htey launced the phone witha price tag of 30k but halved the price to 15k within 3-4 months .and they dint refund any .everyone's a thief in a different disguise

A good move from Nokia. I have upgraded my OVI maps to version 3.03 in my 5800 Xpress Music and really amazing Nokia offering free voice guidance navigation.....clap.gifclap.gif

Before we need to pay for the voice guidance navigation and I havn't used OVI maps because of the charge, I have used Garmin maps . Now everything is free in OVI maps. But be aware may be Nokia expecting some from the users.. who knows...

Hi

I upgrade my phone version from 30.01 to 50.01, prior to that I was using google maps and it was working perfectly fine....after upgrading my software it has stopped working. It says page is too large to open. I have also downloaded ovi maps but it is trying and trying, but no improvement...its only saying connecting to gps...but not connecting, can somebody help me to understand better...should I go back to the older version (If possible) am struggling without this map