Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
copperco2

All about Tikona

I was returning from Mumbai, some days back and when i switched on my laptop, it caught signal from tikona. networks. Never really heard of it here or for that matter any where else.

Any body heard of it!!

• Like 2

Yes, heard of it once on either NDTV or CNBCTV18... http://www.tikona.in

Available in few cities only for now

I heard about Tikona Broadband from one of my colleague. He was contacted by some sales guys from the same company and they were offering Broadband connection. Not sure wireline or Wimax kind .But they were offering some good plans and they were giving Router as free with Connection.

Edited by aeroamit

well i get good coverage of this network in my house

never tried it though

They have a fabulous system of giving out a free (to use) Wifi router when you take the subscription. They claim it is based on "4G" technology and instead of giving you internet through a USB plugin, it's through this Wifi router.

They had installed their equipment on our society terrace. But there was some supposed issue in payments they were to make to society, so currently it is not working in our building. Eager to try it out though.

they provide wi-fi internet. have good plans. but never tried. they marketed sometime back.. but not aggressively..

Seen same brand bus shelter adverts, they claim 4G network Speed.

Wireless broadband .

"Build using the 4G OFDM wireless technology

they have 2Mbps plan with bill limit"

They provide free modem(router),

Free antivirus,

Plans starts from Rs 299 for 1GB to Rs 1249 for 7gb. @2Mbps.

Unlimited plans are also available Rs 499@150Kbps, 599@300Kbps, 799@600Kbps.

available in chennai, but seems expensive and no match as compared to good old bsnl. Ofcourse Tikona is wireless whereas bsnl is wired. still.....

available in chennai, but seems expensive and no match as compared to good old bsnl. Ofcourse Tikona is wireless whereas bsnl is wired. still.....

I am using Tikona C299 plan which has a limit of 1000MB. I am going to close this connection.

They are big cheaters in calculating the Data transfer. They calculate the data transfer rate in MBs without any decimal places. Just logon and logout will show the 1MB consumption.

Just open 3~4 websites like gmail, paper and bank site and close it.Data transfer will show some where 7~10 MB.

Opened and closed irctc site for 10 times and closed due to irctc server problem. It consumed 24 MB.

My last two months usage is showing online as 667 MB & 975 MB.where as bill is showing 795 MB & 765 MB respectively.

I have complained to CEO also. No use. i am waiting for BSNL connection to my building.Once I got a BSNL, i will close the Tikona.

Edited by rkburra

I am using it in Mumbai. If u dont have 80% of signal then dont go for it. They will give the connection if u have atleast 30% signal. but dont take it. I took the connection and now Its shower then old age dial up. and most of the time you get Timeout error. I had given a complaint on Jan 20th till now the problem is not sorted. CC always will tell us it will be sorted in next 24 hours. No action taken.

If you have good signal then Go for it.

In Ahmedabad New Wireless internet provided by SPIDIGO. Tikona type of service.

i had applied for connection from tikona. the main reason was that my entire house will wi-fi enable without any cost to me. further i they had offered unlimited plan with sufficient speed. but the problem is that there were limited signal and they cannot installed it.

when i called CC, they themselves suggested me to take refund.. weird.. but now it think its better that i opted out. further, the represntative hwo had come to my house, visited next day again and ask me to give him references. surprisingly, his cell is off since then....

I've set up my entire house as a wireless hotspot ... Have an extension from my cybercafe (Airtel Broadband) and 3 different routers 2 for the 2nd floor rooms and one for the terrace room (3rd floor).... It probably costed me initially in the setup cost for the routers - and I get overlapping signals from each of my WPK2 / PSK protected routers - but the connectivity is splendid - and the best part - the plan works really economical.

I had tested Tikona's service at my place - they have a limitation ... The router fit in your area will work only there .. Its not really a wireless plan outside the location where the router is fit .. I can't carry it to another place in mumbai - where there's Tikona coverage and use it either. ..

They have a long way to go in these fronts .... IMHO a broadband+ plan with a reliance dongle and WiFI share from the laptop to work like a MiFI device will be a lot better than using Tikona :)

cheers

karki

^^^ superb idea  :Riendo:

It would be real fun if these wifi companies like tikona can provide seemless coverage all over the city..

but me sure, once they plan to do the same, companies like reliance or tata would come out & complain about breach of their license conditions !!!  :rofl_200:

@karki / anybody else willing to help

I need help in setting up multiple routers as you have done. I have Airtel broadband which I have connected to a Netgear WiFi router on my ground floor. But problem is that it's signal does not reach my Children's Room with full blast on First and 2nd Floor and internet connection keeps dropping in those rooms.

Let me know how I can attach 1 more router to get a pan house signal throughout my house... looking for a simple and most cost effective way to do that...

Edited by dkaile

@karki / anybody else willing to help

I need help in setting up multiple routers as you have done. I have Airtel broadband which I have connected to a Netgear WiFi router on my ground floor. But problem is that it's signal does not reach my Children's Room with full blast on First and 2nd Floor and internet connection keeps dropping in those rooms.

Let me know how I can attach 1 more router to get a pan house signal throughout my house... looking for a simple and most cost effective way to do that...

let me assist you... :P

firstly, the placement of the router should be opposite. which is to say that for best connectivity, the router should have a bird's eye view of the area it needs to cover. so move it to the top floor of your house, placing it centrally. avoid placing on a glass surface or near an iron mesh etc.

try this and post back your findings... nahin to aur batayenge... else call my helpline ;-p

^

Not possible to move my router as of now, as that would require cabling... I have already placed as high as possible on the GF room; I get excellent connection in my basement office below that room and also my personal bedroom right above that room;

I need that its wireless signal somehow be amplified (by another router or some other option) so that I can get a better coverage in the remote room on first floor (of my children)...

Kindly suggest minimum cost solution. Another Netgear Router costs just 1.5K and I am willing to invest in that... But how to configure it, is the ISSUE at hand...

Dhiraj

You can try WRT54G or WAP54G (hope numbers are right one is router, another is access point) & place it at a location where it will get the signal from wifi router & connect. It will again repeat the signal, which you can use at other locations, where the signal is not available from main router. In case of WRT54G( router) you don't have option for repeating signal but in WAP54G ( access point) you have option for repeating signal. You can flash you second router with DD-WRT & there are so many options.It also has option to scan any open networks & latch on that. You can increase the signal strength also. Due to external antenna,It can connect to weaker signals also, to which a laptop can't connect. Its mobile you can move it with ease as no cables are attached. I had a old WRT54G, flashed it with DD-WRT & using it at my house since long & works perfectly In repeater mode you save trouble of cabling between two routers. For more inf on DD-WRT & flashing the routers, you can visit http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

anil

Edited by Anil_S

use access point. it will solve your problem. no need to hardwire access point to the router. if you use any router you need to hardwire it. i had discussion iwth LinkSys tech support staff for similar problem. see the attached file of chat with the CC...

LinkSys.txt

use access point. it will solve your problem. no need to hardwire access point to the router. if you use any router you need to hardwire it. i had discussion iwth LinkSys tech support staff for similar problem. see the attached file of chat with the CC...

True. But with out flashing you need Linksys both sides. With Flashing with DD-WRT it becomes easy

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Autoap

Edited by Anil_S

@dj

Why not on glass surface?

glass surfaces are known to be bad reflectors for wifi signals... glass, iron, walls... these you should essentially avoid.

honestly the higher your router goes the better it covers below. i can second with posts above that open source firmware flashes greatly enhance usability of these routers... i had a great experience pairing a ddwrt with a tomato mod... deadly pair !

You have couple of options:

1. Flash your current router with ddwrt/tomato but you have to check whether your model is supported for these opensource firmwares or not.

2. Buy a repeater. You can buy a belkin g router (available for 1.3k) or another netgear router and use it as repeater. I am not sure about netgear but i'm using belkin g router and there is an option of using it as repeater. Check screen shot below:

routerq.png

anything new for tikona, my friend is using it and has an unlimited plan he seems satisfied with that......