Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
ani_meher

Ladakh Calling

Are you coming to Ladakh?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Are you coming to Ladakh this year?

• Yes, we will have a lot of fun!
    • Yes, but not with you!
    • Not this year, maybe later.
    • Been there done that. No more Ladakh visits!
    • Not now not ever. Not interested in hills.

Ladakh, a dream of many tourers, remains the untouched beauty as ever. Ladakh is often called the Mecca of touring, you should do it once in your life!

I have planned a trip this year, coinciding with the Ladakh festival from 1st to 15 sept each year. This is the itinerary. As I am going by motorcycle, this itinerary is mainly focused on motorcycling. However, if you want to come with family, you can always hire a private car and join the fun.

28 Aug Day 1: reach Srinagar, collect the bikes and go for a shikara ride in Dal Lake.

29 Aug Day 2: Srinagar - Kargil

30 Aug Day 3: Kargil - Leh

31 Aug Day 4: rest in Leh and get the permits made (at the same time you can visit Thiksey, Leh Palace etc.)

1 Sep Day 5: Leh - Khardung La - Diskit/Hunder (Nubra Valley)

2 Sep Day 6: Nubra Valley sightseeing and by afternoon, start heading back to Leh

3 Sep Day 7: Leh - Chang La - Pangong Tso

4 Sep sun Day 8: Pangong Tso - Chang La - Leh

5 Sep Day 9: rest in Leh

6 Sep Day 10: Leh - Upshi - Chumathang - Tso Moriri (Korzok)

7 Sep Day 11: spend the day at Tso Moriri and if you want, move to Tso Kar in the afternoon

8 Sep Day 12: Tso Moriri - Tso Kar - Pang - Sarchu

9 Sep Day 13: Sarchu - Manali

10 Sep Day 14: Rest in Manali

11 Sep Day 15: Ride to Chandigadh

12 Sep Day 16: Chandigadh sight seeing and parcel to mumbai

Some terms for this trip:

1. Riding is a part of trip, not the reason of the trip. We will enjoy the rides, but not like we have to break records and backs. Usually one day of full riding will be followed by one day of full sightseeing.

2. Drinking and smoking will not be part of the trip. You can do if you want, but it's certainly not a part of the itinerary.

3. Budget will of course be strictly maintained , but preference will always be to keep hygiene and not just to save money.

In short, this thread invites adventure couples and even singles, who want to experience the culture and places, and not just roads. If you fit the bill, I am awaiting your posts in this thread.

I have booked Kingfisher tickets for Mumbai Srinagar on 28 Aug 2010, because I want to be in Ladakh while the festival is on. The bike will be parceled to Srinagar, and I will pick it up there.

This is not restricted for Mumbai Pune bikers only, anyone from all over country, who fits the above criteria is welcome.

Anyone company? :Chulo:

Edited by ani_meher
  • Like 2

Me probably in with Fiancee...

got to check her schedule and if leaves possible from office...

will update..

I am going to follow this thread very very closely... :)

+1 for you mate....

Watching this topic !

will fall in with my wife only if my boss gives me long chutti...

Edited by hitesh123

whats the expected budget ? A complete mumbai ladakh ride and back will work out to about 30k :) if anyone's ready to ride down from mumbai with me ... we can plan that as well :)

Flight tickets to Shrinagar cost 6800. Parceling bike from Pune to srinagar costs 3000rs. So in 10000rs, two persons and a bike will reach srinagar. Note that this saves two days of travel in train (3rd AC cost 1363 per person from Mumbai + 1400 minimum for bike luggage) then one day riding to Srinagar, which adds to two Mumbai-Jammu tickets + bike ticket + one night stayl in Jammu + 1 night stay in srinagar + 6 extra lunches and dinners and breakfasts. So actually you will end up spending more via the train + road route than flight + courier route.

We will be on road for 16 days. 500rs per day accomodation + 500rs meals + 200rs petrol for bike, it comes to 19200. Coming back will take up less, as we will be catching train/flight from CHD, so max 7000. So cost comes up to 36200, round figure stretching maximum to 40,000. The realistic figure will be around 35,000 for two, for 16 days holiday with everything included, home to home.

So 1000 per person per day for such beautiful trip is full paisa vasool I think :)

hmmm I'll still catch up with all at srinagar :) thinkin of riding down from mumbai :) love the roads too much to miss the ride again ...

also rather than just touching ladakh. .. i guess a stram down ahead of Khardung-la to the Nubra valley .. penag-tso and panamik are a must.

Also try to spend a while with the chang-pa tribes ... and collect wollen bounties from there :) camp a night on the banks of the penang-tso and capture the wild color changing landscape on camera - it'll be the most memorable experience if it can be plotted this way :)

cheers

karki

Ashok, guess you didn't read the itinerary! It includes Khardung la, Nubra valley, Pangong tso. Rest depends on inputs.

A small bump for visibility to new members and some addition. I am riding to Delhi and catch Delhi Pune duronto express on monday. This is the itinerary till now:

28 Aug Day 1: reach Srinagar, collect the bikes and go for a shikara ride in Dal Lake.

29 Aug Day 2: Srinagar - Kargil

30 Aug Day 3: Kargil - Leh

31 Aug Day 4: rest in Leh and get the permits made (at the same time you can visit Thiksey, Leh Palace etc.)

1 Sep Day 5: Leh - Khardung La - Diskit/Hunder (Nubra Valley)

2 Sep Day 6: Nubra Valley sightseeing and by afternoon, start heading back to Leh

3 Sep Day 7: Leh - Chang La - Pangong Tso

4 Sep sun Day 8: Pangong Tso - Chang La - Leh

5 Sep Day 9: rest in Leh

6 Sep Day 10: Leh - Upshi - Chumathang - Tso Moriri (Korzok)

7 Sep Day 11: spend the day at Tso Moriri and if you want, move to Tso Kar in the afternoon

8 Sep Day 12: Tso Moriri - Tso Kar - Pang - Sarchu

9 Sep Day 13: Sarchu - Manali

10 Sep Day 14: Rest in Manali

11 Sep Day 15: Ride to Chandigadh

12 Sep Day 16: Ride to Delhi

13 Sep Day 17: Get on the Delhi Pune Duronto train with bike for Mumbai

14 Sep Day 18: Reach Pune at 7am.

If I can cover Manali Delhi distance in one day, then I can have a spare day at Delhi for shopping/sight seeing. I think this plan covers all good spots and gives enough time to enjoy everything.

• Like 1

will be reading this thread with excitement .. wanna join this but wud not get time from work..

wud be looking fwd for some great pics here of this trip .

also will try best to join trip for a day in chandigarh ............

Guys,

Any help needed? Do lemme knw.

August is not the month for riding on road thru bike,car or any other mode. Roads are mostly blocked at zanskar & khardungla pass.

Alternate route will be leh from manali thru rohtang pass. Amazing journey dude!

@aviator: Surprising to see such input from someone who stays in Jammu! Its summer in august september in Ladakh, and in fact the best season to visit and photography. The tourist season peaks in August!

Very Nice Trip

I would had joined even with my bike

but i have kid

but if u are arranging same next year

i can join it

Do email me if possible for next year, in case i miss to have close watch on forum

parin11@gmail.com

@ani_meher - Man, m in mktg and do a regular trip around of the whole state almost every month. Have been in leh last week. Airfares were all time high, so thought of travelling by road in my Indica. Was stuck there for 4 straight days due to rains and snowfall.

No doubt august is the season and the roads "officially" close in september and october but i just wanted to give a word of caution coz if someone is struck midway down from kargil to Srinagar, u won't even get anything 2 eat except for a small shop that supplies maggi and tea some 70 Kms from kargil to Srinagar. Its might be summers in Ladakh but definately not in Zozila pass and khardungla! Well, the road is one sided most of the times coz of safety reasons.

Just keep 1 or 2 days extra in case u put up at srinagar.

U wanna come down, most welcome! Even i wud like to join you on the trip, !!