Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
dkaile

Verizon HTC Incredible - The Beefed Up CDMA Nexus 1

UPDATE YOUR INCREDIBLE TO FROYO (Android 2.2)

Official OTA download link from google (for non roooters) - http://android.clien...elease_sign.zip

Instructions-

Rename the file as update.zip; copy to root of sd card; power down phone (also remove battery and then reinsert); boot into recovery (Hold down the "Volume Down" button as you power the phone back on); A screen should appear showing your phone's system searching for various files. Scroll down to "recovery" using vol down button and press the "Power" button to select it.

When you see the triangle with an exclamation point symbol, press the "Power" and "Volume Up" buttons at the same time.

From the menu that appears, use vol keys to move to "Apply sdcard:update.zip." Push Power button to select it. Update will start and take several minutes.

When the screen displays "Install from sdcard complete" select by vol key "reboot system now" and wait for the phone to power back up. It may reboot itself instead of asking you to do it.

REMEMBER-

Took a while, and many people PANICKED when it froze at the new Droid eye splash screen (after the DROID voice and a splash showing all the features of the Dinc), but after waiting for what seemed like an eternity, it got past it and went to a screen that counted up to 100%. At 25%, it came up with a screen that said "Congratulations, you have successfully updated your HTC phone to version 3.21.605.1 (the build number). After that, it completed the countdown and booted to your home screen and your system info shows Android version 2.2 in Software Info!! SO BE PATIENT..

Look around and confirm that all is well, then reboot. After this you can remove update.zip from the /sdcard directory.

PS - First off, ensure that you have the Stock 2.1 ROM with first OTA, it WILL NOT work otherwise. software/Build version should read as the following: 1.22.605.2 to proceed with this update...if it is 1.22.605.0, the update wont work...

Also as far as we know, it cannot work in clockwork recovery!!!... You should be on Stock Recovery. For people who have rooted and are on clockwork recovery from unrevoked, follow instructions here - http://www.rimweb.in...1/page__st__338

This Update DOES NOT WIPE YOUR PHONE. Your phone will turn on as usual. You will have all of your apps, all of your settings, all of your ringtones set, the same wallpaper set, everything exactly as before. You will notice some changes they made to text messaging, changing the keyboard and many other things. As well as speed.

and Yes, it works even if you are S-off; just ensure that you unroot and get back to stock before proceeding; Its recommended to root first to get s-off (for future purposes... LOL), then Unroot then back to stock; then first ota then this Ota update...though I have just got news that there is NO need to root as the root process for the new ota is also on the way, so dont worry about s-off...and go ahead and update...

STATUTORY - This link and instructions are given in good faith; though nothing will go wrong if you follow instructions properly, I am not responsible for anything;

Edited by dkaile
  • Like 4

I got my speaker of htc incredible fixed and i am so happy about it , it was simple i went to a local mobile shop and fixed a O2 speaker to my incredible and it matched well you cannot make out the difference. So people out there if you have a problem with your rear htc incredible speaker change it with a O2 speaker instead and it hardly cost you Rs 250/-.

Also i would like to ask Mr Dkaile how do you understand whether your incredible is rooted or not because i too want to update to foryo but i am unable to update it because when i browse to my about phone and check system updates it says Your system is up to date. So please help should i follow the procedure what you have given in this post for updating by downloading the file what you have given the link for that is if only i could find out if my phone is rooted or not.

@dhiraj bhai:

thanks a lot for the link and instructions...have successfully updated my incredible to froyo...was done in less that 5 minutes and did not face any issue at all while updating.

would post my experience with it soon.

thanks again dhiraj bhai...you made my incredible, even more incredible

Manuj

One more succesful upgrade to stock 2.2 , thanks to DK. (Actually I had removed the CityID bloatware earlier. So had to root again, move CityID apk and the jars back to where they were moved from. Then again installed stock recovery and then started the update)

Android Version 2.2

Build 3.21.605.1

Radio 2.15.00.07.28

1X working

Market working

Camera working

USB Wired tether working

But Youtube has started buffering, whereas earlier in stock 2.1 youtube videos used to play in a single shot without buffering stops

^

Thank You ananth001 for giving me a "-1" for helping you/others out :Equivocado: (I presume you did it by mistake)

@andy - why are u so afraid; ,max that will happen is that u will loose root... thats it...

Its a painless process, however its not possible for me to spoonfeed... u need to take ur own risks in life...

• Like 1

Updated my incredible as well.

Thanks Dhiraj jee for the detailed instructions to do so.

extreeeeemly sorry Dhiraj bhai - that was stupid of me - clicked the wrong button accidentally - I really do regret this.

BTW I think it will do good if you edit your posting asking those who upgrade to delete 'update.zip' from the sdcard , once the upgrade is over. Reason I'm saying this is that after upgrade I went to bootloader to check the hboot version without deleting first the 'update.zip' file, and it started running the update without any prompts whatsoever, and I had to jack the battery out. Again when I switched on the phone it started continuing with the update , I had to again pull out the battery, put the sdcard in another handset and delete the update zip file. Nearly had a heart attack, but as they say 'no excuses for ignorance'.

Sorry again and thanks a lot.

ananth

^

Thank You ananth001 for giving me a "-1" for helping you/others out :Equivocado: (I presume you did it by mistake)

@andy - why are u so afraid; ,max that will happen is that u will loose root... thats it...

Its a painless process, however its not possible for me to spoonfeed... u need to take ur own risks in life...

• Like 1

^

no need to edit, as you have already contributed your valuable input... as should others...

now, is it ok to flash the clockwork mode recovery and install superuser apk.

^

no need to edit, as you have already contributed your valuable input... as should others...

^

We will have 1 step root and clockwork recovery etc. for this version of hboot also soon... so wait.. Its in late stages of development and will be with you in week-10 days... along with full s-off to follow...

I have updated the Update Post with detailed instructions... SO ENJOY ALL...

Edited by dkaile

Thnx DK, u really respond fast

I would like to thank Mr dkaile for his inputs on foryo 2.2 i have successfully installed the same and using it....

But only thing is now when i click any videos in browser the browser shuts down... so videos not playing in browser...

I know life is all about risk but when your new to rooting hve to cross my finger and jump ha.....

Done, on Froyo now with Incredible :D

For ROOTED Users wanting to get back to stock and then back to Official 2.2 OTA and also keeping their S-Off and then GET ROOT BACK with superuser permissions-

NOTE 1: This assumes that you've got ClockworkMod recovery already as part of your rooted phone. If you're not rooted, you might as well stop reading right now as you won't have to do most of this.

NOTE 2: In all cases below, when you are told to download a file, download it using your computer, not your phone. I would download each file into a separate folder named somewhat descriptively. There's a reason for this... in at least two cases, you will have two different files with the same filename and you'll want to know which one is which. Then, after downloading the files and renaming them if necessary, connect your phone to your computer with the USB cable and copy the files to the root of your SD card as needed. This way, you can be a little more organized plus have extra copies of everything in case something goes wonky.

*** A. PREPARE BY TAKING YOUR PHONE BACK TO STOCK (MOSTLY) ***

1. First, before you do anything at all, go to Unrevoked Forever public:forever [RootWiki] and apply S-off. Just follow their directions.

2. If you haven't installed a custom kernel, you can skip this step. If you had a custom kernel, hopefully you followed the installation directions and did a Nandroid backup. You'll want to restore that backup from ClockworkMod Recovery to get the stock kernel back. I'm not 100% sure if this is necessary depending on which kernel you had but it can't hurt.

3. Go to Adrynalyne's site Stock HTC Incredible Recovery Image Just another blog and get the stock 2.1 recovery image (PB31IMG.ZIP).

You need to put this file into the root (i.e. not in a folder) of your SD Card, make sure the file reads PB31IMG.ZIP and not PB31IMG.ZIP.ZIP. Boot into hboot by turning off your phone and then hold the volume down button and the power button until it boots into hboot. Once in hboot, it should ask you if you want to apply the update, click the volume up button to apply the update. Once it is down, it the volume up button to reboot the phone.

You now have a stock 2.1 phone with no root, but with S-off.

*** B. APPLY THE OTA UPDATE ***

Instructions already here -

*** C. LET'S GET ROOT BACK! ***

1. Go back to the Unrevoked Forever site public:forever [RootWiki] and download this file: http://downloads.unrevoked.com/forever/recovery/clockworkmod/PB31IMG.ZIP (You'll notice that this is the same filename as the one you downloaded from Adrynalyne's site, which is why I suggested putting them in separate folders on your computer, remember?).

2. Copy this file WITHOUT CHANGING THE NAME to the root of your SD card. It'll ask you if you want to overwrite the existing file, and you do want to.

3. Unplug your phone from your computer and reboot your device into HBOOT by removing the battery, inserting the battery, pressing VOLUME DOWN, and pressing POWER (just like you did above).

4. When prompted "Do you want to start update?", press VOLUME UP for Yes.

5. When prompted again "Do you want to reboot device?", press VOLUME UP for Yes.

6. You now have ClockworkMod Recovery back.

7. Now, download the following two files: http://bit.ly/su234ef and MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service. You'll have two more files: "payload-update.zip" and "su-2.3.4-ef-signed.zip".

8. Plug your phone back into your computer and copy these two files to the root of your SD card.

9. Unplug your phone from your computer, and turn your phone off (pull the battery out and reinsert).

10. Press and hold the Volume Down and Power at the same time to boot into HBOOT.

11. When the white HBOOT screen appears, use the volume button to move down to "RECOVERY".

12. Press the Power button to select "RECOVERY".

13. Once in recovery, choose "install zip from SD-Card", then choose "payload-update.zip".

14. Hit the power button to go back to the previous screen.

15. Choose "install zip from SD-Card", then choose "su-2.3.4-ef-signed.zip".

16. Hit the power button to go back to the previous screen.

17. Select "Reboot device now".

Congratulations! You now have a fully rooted 2.2 Froyo Incredible, and you didn't have to wipe your data... it's right where you left it. The only quirk some have found so far is that they had to reassign their custom ringtones.

• Like 2

Thanks again DK. So I'm back to CWM recovery with superuser rights. Only problem now is that after removing bloatware like CityID using adb I lose 'EPST' and am not able to "##778". Is there any way to regain EPST?

thanks and regards

ananth

my journey with rimweb is been gr8 like earlier was just seeing whats happening on this site and was following, slowly started upgrading to imported handsets and now even learnt how to upgrade software of handsets and even root and unroot stuff i am really thankful to all those on this site my journey from industralist to rooting and unrooting of handsets only possible through this site....there are other sites but be Indian and stick with indian is my funda....

one more thing so far nobody is able to solve one problem on my htc incredible whenever i dial a isd nos with 00 it dials with + added with it so my cell does dial the nos it says please check the nos you hve dialed....

so any help would be appreciated

So, just when I was ready to install this update.zip, I got official OTA Notification;

So ignored it at first; switched on wifi, went back to Settings-About Phone-Update and chose to update; Took about 5-10 minutes on wifi; it downloaded the 93mb file and rebooted perfectly into Froyo 2.2...

Seems I am the first one to get official OTA update here (who actually updated over the air)... All settings etc. remained as it is...

What I saw NEW in 2.2 -

- Its snappier and much quicker

- New apps - 3G Mobile Hotspot, App Sharing, Amazon MP3 (bloatware), Flashlight (great app), and some other bloatwares...

- I can now see 720p recording option in camcorder

- Lots of new widgets; specially liked the NEWS widget, Sync All, lots of new calculators, many new android widgets also added like Power control etc.

- Music Widget is snappier and remembers last folders after reboot (a bug in 2.1)

- New Messaging App, better, with photos, attachments etc.

- Wifi draft N support; more towers visible in wifi now

- Flash 10.1 support

- Nexus One Live wallpaper

- Voice Dial over Bluetooth now works

- Takes longer to charge but has IMPROVED battery life

- Gmail UI is updated

- New startup screen with DROID sound

- Ability to save apps to sd card

- I find enhanced sharpness of pictures and the icons in camera now rotate with screen orientation

- You can't press the menu button to unlock the phone anymore. Sliding the bar is the only way now - BAD

- Your screen now turns in every direction but upside down after 2.2

- 1x sign now remains always lit, only arrows dim out when not in use

- Now you have to click Menu>Exit to leave the car panel menu; does'nt go out just by clicking back button

- Lots more pattern lock options including numeric or password code lock

- Peep is not working properly; some authentication issue; Twitter app is having issues; Android 2.2 seems to have broken twitter. (EDIT- Its a twitter authentication feud issue not a 2.2 issue; will get solved soon)

- Holding down the home button now gives you 8 recently used apps instead of 6

- New Caller ID Photo screen

Edited by dkaile
  • Like 3

HTC Peep or FriendStream Not Working on HTC Sense in 2.2? It's OAuth's Fault

Thats why Peep and Twitter for HTC Sense is NOT working since I updated to Froyo yesterday on My Incredible.... Its become applicable as of 31st August'10...

Twitter for Android though is working perfectly...

it’s HTC’s fault! Twitter made it known last year that they were moving to OAuth. HTC has had plenty of time to ensure that it’s users wouldn’t be adversely affected by this and yet they din nothing. The joy of finally getting Froyo on my Incredible was marred by this BS because I use peep as my Twitter client since it already comes pre-installed.
This is the HTC response to my question about when this would be fixed ( pretty lame); I understand your concern about not being able to access Peep. Due to a change to Twitter’s authentication scheme Peep, Twitter for HTC Sense and Friend Stream can’t connect. There’s currently no ETA for a resolution. In the mean time you can download another Twitter application from the Market.
Edited by dkaile

Nice review DK Bhai.. :thumb:

Check your heart rate with your free Android phone app

Soon Stethoscopes will be history; You must have read the app for iphone; this android app was there even before the iphone app...

Hey Mufaddal/Tanveer/Other Docs.... this one's for you...

Edited by dkaile

:Contento: :Contento:

:rofl_200:

^^^

Now you can check patients any where without your stethoscope :Contento:

as it is in my place everyone borrows my stetho , so good now , i can ask them to buy android phones , lol

anyways its just a fun app , nothing much

show off to people and make them jeaous

Friend Stream and Peep is back and running on all versions of android....

Testers Note on 2.2 -

- 3G Mobile Hotspot is useless on 1x as it works only with 3G

Edited by dkaile

Enable / disable safe mode - HTC DROID Incredible - Safe mode is a method that allows the device to run without non-essential applications. This is beneficial for troubleshooting 3rd party applications. So dont go for Factory Reset immediately if your device starts giving you some trouble. First trouble shoot the applications by going into safe mode.

How to do get in and then out of Safe Mode - http://search.vzw.com/?do=viewdoc&id=31062&p=5269&supportview=1

• Like 2