Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
KanagaDeepan

Android OS became Second in US Smartphone Market Share overtaking iPhone

The Android operating system continued to shake up the US mobile phone market in the first quarter, moving past Apple to take the number-two position among smartphone OS, according to the NPD Group. Based on unit sales to consumers last quarter, the Android operating system moved into second position at 28 percent behind RIM's OS with 36 percent and ahead of Apple's OS with 21 percent.

Good going Android :clap: RIM, enjoy the first position for few months, our Google is coming...

Source: HERE

Now if I say - Yeh to hona hi tha.... would that be an under statement....

Awaken all fence sitters and take the plunge... Goodbye to all the I(diot)Phones and Berry's....The windows are already shut.... Open the doors to the King...

Edited by dkaile

:previous:

:Riendo:

After so many years i am feeling satisfied by buying Nexus One. Last I bought Nokia 6265 in 2005-06 at that time our Rimweb members helped me a lot by providing good feedback & all were so desperate to know abt launching date of the same it was exciting time when i joined rimweb. Missing Mr. Schumi (rimweb-member)who i guess not using CDMA now.

npd-100510.png

Somebody said me that Android is more power hungry(drains battery quickly) when compared to iOS or Symbian.

Is it true?

i dont know whether it should be new topic or can continue here.

article on why iOS 4 is better than Android 2.2... i found it to be biased towards iOS..

Source

Android 2.2 Can`t Match iOS 4 Features: 10 Reasons Why

Google’s Android operating system is performing extremely well in the mobile market. In fact, the company’s market share continues to climb as RIM, Apple, and Microsoft are forced to look up and hope to even come close to catching up at some point in the future.

That’s not good for those companies. It also speaks to how far Google has come at finally delivering a product that people truly care about.

But that doesn’t mean that Android 2.2, the latest version of Google’s operating system, is the most desirable operating system on the market. Quite the contrary, the operating system falls short in many ways. When it’s compared to Apple’s iOS 4 platform, it’s hard for Google to even compete. Android 2.2 might be the best version of the operating system ever released, but it still has a long way to go to catch up to Apple’s offering.

Here’s why:

1. Google isn’t so big on software

Google’s real plan with Android is to dominate the mobile advertising space. It fully realizes that the best way to achieve that goal is by doing whatever it can to capitalize on the desire for touch-screen smartphones with the help of Android. That’s precisely why Google offers its operating system for free. But due to that focus on eventual mobile advertising dominance, Google falls short compared to Apple on software design.

2. Apple understands consumers

Apple understands what consumers want and how they will use a particular product. That comes through in all the products the company sells, including its iOS platform. Google, on the other hand, doesn’t seem to understand consumers as well as it could. It’s certainly doing a better job than most companies, but it still has a long way to go to match Apple. In fact, Google’s consumer understanding seems to be more Microsoft-like than Apple-like. And that could be a problem -- especially for its operating system—going forward.

3. Multitasking

Multitasking on iOS is a key reason why Apple has enjoyed such success in the mobile market as of late. For years, consumers were hoping for true multitasking. But for years, the company made no promises. But in iOS 4, multitasking is running on the iPhone. Because of that, Google has a long way to go to match anything Apple is currently offering.

4. Folders make it all OK

Apple’s iOS platform is better than Android 2.2 for several major reasons. But one of the minor things that consumers should think about is Apple’s operating system’s folder support. With little effort, consumers can quickly create folders, lump similar programs together, and more. It provides a rewarding experience. And it’s something that Google has a long way to go on in order to catch up.

5. Ease of use must come into play

In any evaluation between two operating systems, ease of use must play a role. After all, if a particular operating system is easier to use for the average consumer than another, it should get the nod. In this case, iOS 4 easily gets the nod. Apple’s operating system is simply easier to use. And it doesn’t suffer from the strange quirks that arise on Android due to vendors trying to tailor the user experience to their own products.

6. Responsiveness

One of the main issues with Android 2.2 is that the software doesn’t respond as effectively as it should to the user when compared to iOS. Does that mean there is a responsiveness issue with Android 2.2? Absolutely not. In fact, compared to other operating systems, it holds up quite well. But Apple’s platform is different. It’s just that iOS simply provides more responsiveness when users interact with it. It could be extremely difficult for Google to catch up anytime soon.

7. Too many variations

Because Android is an open platform, vendors that get their hands on the operating system can change it however they see fit. That openness creates an environment across the Android ecosystem that loses uniformity and provides variations of the Android operating system on different phones. The result is sometimes spotty performance that must be taken into account when evaluating differences between iOS and Android.

8. Apple’s App Store

Apple’s App Store is integral to the success of iOS 4. With hundreds of thousands of applications, Apple’s marketplace is the best place to find programs that appeal to both consumers and enterprise customers. Admittedly, Google’s Android Market has been growing at a rapid rate, but it has a long way to go to match Apple’s store.

9. iTunes integration

Whenever users pick up an iOS-based device, they can access iTunes from the product. That’s extremely important. It provides them with an end-to-end entertainment experience that isn’t so readily available on Android. After all, iTunes is the world’s top music store. If only Apple’s products have access to it, few could say Google’s offering can best Apple’s.

10. The tablet issue

Google has said that Android 2.2 is not designed for tablets. Apple doesn’t have that issue with iOS 4. Currently, iOS 3 is running on the iPad. But this month, Apple plans to offer iOS 4 integration with its tablet. When that happens, the company will prove that its operating system is the best choice for just about anyone trying to go mobile. Then the onus will be on Google to respond.

^^

ROFLMAO

Looking ahead to See Android to be No 1

I will not be at all surprised to see Android as Numero Uno. Hear that the BB-OS6 on Torch is disliked by many.

@ hitesh n DK

I see a sharp raise in market after Q3 2009 - is that time when we got 2.1

as i have used both and Do-nut is not so good.

@ Dr Gupta

OS6 may me good but average user dont know the full functionality of it to use, any way BB with out BIS is just a Phone not Samrt

android will win the first spot, the way android is capturing market it will definitely win and it should android is just awesome

dhiraj bhai: I do not understand what ROFLMAO is. I am sure there are a few others like me.

@Genius: I have hitesh special and am quite happy without BIS. I must however, confess I use my mobile 99% of the time to make and receive calls and sms. Do use the 'smart' part sometimes and works well. Also, by keeping the Network off I get a long (>4 days) battery life.

I know Android is the future, and I may switch to it in a couple of years. Will have to see what hardware is available, and then may even go GSM. The decision will be BB or Android.

I have a Nokia 5230 on BSNL (with 3G) and the boss is quite unhappy with it. My son (htc Hero - CDMA) and daughter-in-law (Samsung Galaxy 5) are already on Android. While he is delighted (except that Reliance 1X seems to be permanently off in Karnataka at the moment)she is unhappy with the touch interface.

So it a matter of taste.

Edited by sgiitk

:previous:Rolling On Floor Laughing My As* Off. :winko: Edited by harismahesh

@sgiitk : my roflmao had nothing to do with you or your post and was directed at csmart's post about the dime a dozen site's each pushing their own os's... they are basically to fool the neonates of technology who have not used all the os's to give a unbiased review... in android we have more than a thousand handset models now available all across the world and one can choose according to his/her likes and dislikes.. late starters (like you) will always be there for android but eventually even you too will see the brighter side of things... people's right to choose must be respected... as far as your comment about galaxy-s goes, yes, your d-i-l is correct; there is a lag in the indian model but that can be corrected by doing regular software updates / or using much better custom roms and using some softwares to speed up things (like auto process killers etc.); my brother is on the same in gsm with no lag at all.... as far as 1x goes, its operational all over india; you just need to know to push the right buttons...

edit : if u didnt know the meaning of roflmao, a simple entry in google search would have done that for you... my bad for not understanding your question...

quoted from a friend's post on buzz -

Galaxy S have

Wifi N

Bluetooth 3.0

Longest Battery life on Processor

Fastest GPU

Best in Class Super AMOLED Screen

Simultaneous 5 Finger Touch Screen

First DivX Certified Android Handset

First Handset which Plays MKV AVI DivX directly with GPU Accelaration

allShare (DLNA)

Lightest in Weight compared to all peers

Never get Heated like Snapdragons

And People says Samy come with Inferior Hardware

http://www.engadget...._medium=twitter

Samsung Galaxy S first smartphone to be Wi-Fi Direct certified -- Engadget

Just see

Desire Z with Keyboard weight 186 grams

EPIC 4G Weighs only 155 grams

HTC is still learning Super Composing Components

Edited by dkaile

dhiraj: I never thought it was at my post. Saw the abbreviation at a few places and could not figure it out Sorry that you thought otherwise. A Google search did not enter my mind - signs of ageing!