Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Vishal Gupta

Firefox Tips-n-tricks

Guys!

I hv started this thread to discuss anything related to Firefox browser.

U can share here its tweaks, secrets, themes, etc.

U can also ask problems, that u r facing with firefox.

I have posted many tweaks, tips-n-tricks for Firefox at following link, so pls check them:

http://www.askvg.com/category/firefox/

Yes this does seem to improve the browsing speed!!!!

Can you please explain how the speed is improved by altering the settings as given above.

Is there any way we can toggle images on webpages as in Opera with just click of a button.

Is there any way we can toggle images on webpages as in Opera with just click of a button.
Deepu!

I've given three extensions link in this thread, in which one is for the same as u want.

4 u i'm again giving the link for an extension, that adds an icon to toolbar. By clicking this button (Or "Shift+B" shortcut) you can simply turn on|off images on all web-pages and (optional) autoreload current page!

https://update.mozilla.org/extensions/morei...&id=232&vid=914

Yes this does seem to improve the browsing speed!!!!

Can you please explain how the speed is improved by altering the settings as given above.

All it does is set Firefox to render the page as it's loading rather than wait until it's completely loaded and then render. If your computer can render the page at the same speed that it's downloading, it increases the percieved "load time" by half.

Thanks Vishal for the explanation... :lol::ph34r:

The link for image block was not working... Anyway I got it from the extensions website of mozilla. :D

But there is still a problem with this extension. Instead of blocking the image for just the current tab, it goes and blocks the images globally for all tabs.

Thats a problem. In Opera we can selectively block the images for just the tabs we want.

Thats one feature i would really like to see on Mozilla also...

Got Firfox.. Its better than IE.

THnx Vishal for that prefs.js patch..

Improved the speed much effectively

Firefox doesnt work properly with GMAIL

While in GMAIL the compose doesnt work properly, also we cant attach a file.

21902[/snapback]

Hi Ashok. Must be some quirk. I've been using firefox and gmail quite extensively from both, office and residence, and I've faced no problems. Tried the Mozilla Forums for a solution?

Firefox also , dosent work properly with Rediffmail,

whenever i try to forward something, the Address Book never opens!!!

yikes! :confuse:

yikes! :lol:

21925[/snapback]

I have also tried to open rediffmail, indiatimes site with firfox but it always opens Google search page for that. :confuse:

yikes! :confuse:

21925[/snapback]

I have tried it and works perfectly fine for me.. :lol:

Anybody else facing same problem with GMAIL?

Address Book in rediff opens fine for me.. I am facing problem with GMAIL compose page..

See the attached pic.

post-120-1103100071_thumb.jpg

I tried this myself.... For me there is no problem with Gmail too...

Everything works perfectly fine

Yeh mi screen was also the same, and when i clicked attach a file, it widened a bit more and thats in my earlier attached pic..

hey deepu,

plz attach a screenshot if you are getting GMAIL properly in FIREFOX..

21902[/snapback]

yikes! :lol:

21925[/snapback]

Both this works very perfect. pls check you have latest Ver1.0. and double check Java Script turned on in Options -> Web Features.

i downloaded this soft 2 days back only. So obviously i have the latest version.

My java is enabled, still not working..

Have any of you people been successful in getting the Yahoo formatting bar which shows up when you compose a new message ? Its visible when I'm using IE but has never shown up in Firefox. Any solution to this problem ?

Yah! When I opened Yahoo's email Composer in IE there are options to change fonts, colors and etc that do not exist when I open the Composer window in firefox as well as Netscape.

I don't see why those options are not available in browsers other than IE. I can't believe they require Activex but that is a major difference between the two browsers.

It may be some kind of formatting issue with the browsers themselves...

The browsers that ride a top of IE will probably all work and the ones based on Mozilla will probably all fail. Netscape and FireFox are kissing cousins so their results are similar.

I see nothing in the page's source to prevent eithor browser from accessing all functions. There are no Javascript errors in firefox or Netscape. It has to be a coding compatibility issue and they are only interested in satisfying the largest market share.

If you view the source for Compose in IE, save the file then paste it into Netscape you get the error:

Error: rteEditorComposition0 is not defined

21902[/snapback]

its working perfectly for me.. :D so is rediffmail :clap: .. the address book opens up in the new page and firefox isnt causing me any problems.. i m using FireFox v1.0. with Fedora Core 3 and Also WinXP Professional. :D

Edited by swaroop

Installed Firefox yesterday after having a very bad time with IE! It seems to attract all kinds of malware like a magnet ...one web site infected my machine with a trojan in the jar cache where even virus scanners souldnt clean/delete!! :clap1: Other things aside, just the security implications make Firefox a way better option.

No probs with that for me ...Im able to attach files too. :D And as far as .EXE files are concerned you can just rename the extention to something else and attach it. It worked for me.
i downloaded this soft 2 days back only. So obviously i have the latest version.

My java is enabled, still not working..

Unfortunately it dosent work that way - I downloaded a utility just yesterday and discovered that its an older version from the one offered on the parent site! Pays to double check...

However Sun JVM is making like diffiuclt! :clap1: I was using MS JVM until couple months ago and it was better, more stable and much smaller than thus bloatware from Sun! Unfortunately its no longer supported... I even uninstalled an older version of Sun JVM (some versions are incompatible) from my machine after installing Firefox as Java was just not working in Firefox; downloaded the latest #$%&@! 15 MB bloatware Sun JVM, but strangely SOME java enabled sites just dont seem to be working properly while others are fine. Anybody with this problem ...and hopefully a solution? :grin:

Edited by raccoon

To avoid getting timeout when viewing any web site in firefox:

Get this Mozilla Optimizer, it keeps the connection alive....

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Browser...Optimizer.shtml

Mozilla Optimizer improves the browsing speed in all browsers based on the

Gecko Rendering Engine (GRE) like Mozilla, Phoenix, Mozilla Firebird and

Mozilla Firefox as well as Netscape 6 and Netscape 7. All optimizations can

be applied manually, this tool simply automates this procedure!

U can also do the same manually, by adding following lines (replace if they already exist) in prefs.js file:

user_pref("nglayout.initialpaint.delay", 100);
user_pref("content.notify.ontimer", true);
user_pref("content.notify.interval", 100000);
user_pref("content.notify.backoffcount", 5);
user_pref("network.http.pipelining", true);
user_pref("network.http.proxy.pipelining", true);
user_pref("network.http.pipelining.maxrequests", 8);
user_pref("network.http.max-connections", 32);
user_pref("network.http.max-connections-per-server", 8);
user_pref("network.http.max-persistent-connections-per-proxy", 4);
user_pref("network.http.max-persistent-connections-per-server", 2);

Edited by Vishal Gupta

Anybody else facing same problem with GMAIL?

Address Book in rediff opens fine for me.. I am facing problem with GMAIL compose page..

See the attached pic.

Now the problem is solved! :cheer:

I found an extension for Java script, which solves this problem.

After installing it the compose problem in GMail was solved.

So try it!

JSLib Lite

But I havent found a solution to my problem! And I was just getting to like FF ;) In fact trying out Opera now, cus definitely cant put up with IE anymore. Its really coooool & really fast! And no JVM probs there! :) Have downloaded Maxthon too ...going to take that around for a drive next...

well i recently i had updated my firefox with 90% of the extensions in their addon site.. most of them were useful. like ad blocker and all....

GMAIL etc...

After that my gmail compose worked good....

the more the number of services to preload during Linux... the slower its gonna boot. so similarly the more the number of plugins .. the more the preload time... so tweakin would help firefox too ! .. u can uninstall any plugin with a single button - all done click ! .