30 members have voted

1. 1. Are you Diabetic

• Yes
    • No
    • Dont know - never got checked

Friends,

Since long I wanted to start this discussion and today is the day,

I have taken this topic because:

• According to WHO every fourth diabetic in the world is an Indian. According to WHO projections, the 30 million to 33 million diabetics in India will go up to 40 million by 2010 and 74 million by 2025.
  • WHO has issued a warning that India will be the Diabetes capital of the world.
  • Many of our family friends are diabetic and many more will become in time
  • Treating diabetic is a lifelong affair it's not single shot you have to follow it on daily basis
  • Nearly 95% of all patient that I come to know who are literates too, don't know anything about the disease, and are surrounded by myths.

pageimageDiabetes.jpg

I shall try to cover all topics which are necessary for diabetic education - I shall request members to read and catch hold of a single diabetic patient and inform him so as we have at least some awareness about the disease.

please post your queries along I shall answer them as I have time.

Topics:

Definition by WHO:

Diabetes is a chronic disease that occurs when the pancreas does not produce enough insulin, or when the body cannot effectively use the insulin it produces. Hyperglycaemia, or raised blood sugar, is a common effect of uncontrolled diabetes and over time leads to serious damage to many of the body's systems, especially the nerves and blood vessels.

Source

Definition Explained:

Body requires energy to do all most all functions, this energy comes from glucose (sugar in broad term) any food we eat has to be in glucose form of has to be converted to glucose. this glucose then get absorbed (transported) in cell for its utilization (to get energy) this uptake of glucose is facilitated by Insulin.

Insulin in a hormone (complex Chemical) produced by pancreas, so if pancreas is damage or there is no insulin or there is diminished insulin sensitivity of cell for glucose uptake, there will be excess sugar in blood, this forms basis of diabetes.

Image for explanation

let's have some queries in this then we shall have diagnostic criteria (Next to come).

• Like 7

Good initiative...

I am marginal and proper exercise saved me in time... daily exercise routine is the best fight back...

Edited by dkaile
  • Like 2

^^ Yes Excercise in combination with a healthy diet, is one of the best things; the person can do to take care of himself, if he/she is suffering from diabetes. Due to exercise, the glucose is metabolized (digested) in the body and thus normal blood sugar level is maintained. Exercise increases the body efficiency, because it increases the tissue sensitivity to Insulin. Here more amount of glucose is forced out of the blood stream and into the cells where it is utilized for the production of energy. Hence, this condition reduces the level of glucose in the blood.

Factors that help:

• Increases circulation in arms legs
  • Help loose weight
  • Can reduce medication even eliminate it
  • Reduces stress - Stress is a important contributing factor of diabetes

itr__1244113656_brisk_walking.jpg

Tips:

• Exercise minimum 30 min for 5 days a week (Brisk Walking)
  • Keep your self hydrated (drink water) dehydration increases sugar
  • Your feet can take a pounding. Always look them over for sores or blisters before and after you exercise. Make sure that your workout shoes fit well and are comfortable. Wear soft, absorbent socks.

• Like 1

good start:clap:

• Like 1

I would like to suggest substuite for equal and sugarfree for those Diabetis people who consume a lot of equal & sugarfree.

You can use the leaves of Stevia Plant.

Stevia is the only natural sweetner available in the market. Stevia is a south american native sweetner plant of sunflower family. It is used for sweetening for centuries in Paraguay and has been in use since last 400 years across the world. It is the only sweetner which does not have any side effect.

It reduces the calories from your food which make it a suitable replacement of sugar for calorie concious as well diabetic people. It is also being found by people that the regular use of stevia helps in reactivating the insulin secreting cells in pencreas. The raw stevia leaves are around 35 - 40 times sweeter than sugar, stevia extract are sweet upto 300 times of ordinary sugar. The stevia is safest low calorie sweetner without any side effect. Stevia and steavia powder extract are marketed in many countries across the globes.

I have Stevia plant at home and my parents add the leafs while making tea.

U can make a paste of the leaves and add it to you food replacing sugar.

Stevia plant should be easily available at your nearest nursery and doesn’t

Cost much may be (Rs 30-50) depending upon your city.

I hope this information will be useful.

Please pass it to people who are Diabetic.

If you have any question please post me, i will be happy to answer back.

I would also like to Thank Genius for starting the topic and providing

Information.

• Like 1

^^^ Thanks Akash for kind words and passing information i had herd of the plant but never knew it can be so easily grown, there is wonderful information here in this site

as far as possible all artificial sweetener should be avoided, have honey, date syrup, gud instead.

• Like 1

^^^ Thanks Akash for kind words and passing information i had herd of the plant but never knew it can be so easily grown, there is wonderful information here in this site

as far as possible all artificial sweetener should be avoided, have honey, date syrup, gud instead.

I completely agree with you regarding artificial sweetener it should be

Avoided if not possible to avoid it please keep the use to minimum.

Honey is a very good substitute.

And I would request please not to consumer Coke light & Diet coke as

They claim its 0 cal. It should be avoided.

Please try to follow Genius tips to control Diabetics.(Specially people

who take insulin injections)

Please also try to avoid over riped fruits if possible.

Please eat Jamun Fruit.

Jamun is a healthy fruit with absolutely no trace of sucrose. It is therefore, the only fruit with minimum calories. Not only the fruit, but the seed and also the leaves and bark of the jamun tree are believed to have medicinal properties. Many scientific researches have shown that dried alcoholic extracts of the seeds of the fruit given to diabetic patients on a regular basis showed a reduction in the level of their blood sugar and glycosuria

The acidic, sour, sweet, and soothing fruit is used to treat diabetes, diarrhea and ringworm. The fruit also has blood purifying properties.

• Like 1

I have Stevia plant at home and my parents add the leafs while making tea.

U can make a paste of the leaves and add it to you food replacing sugar.

Thanks for this info buddy! Will search for stevia plant in Pune, if not for medicinal use then for sheen novelty!

• Like 1

Thanks genius and akash for inforamtion You gave me yet another work to find out stavia plant and grow in my factory land. If not more I am looking for atleast few plants to grow. I have access to about 15000 sq. mtr of agricultural land where they grow tobacco, so if possible I will hire few thousand meter of land and grow stavia.

• Like 1

Living with diabetes blog

Top 10 diabetes myths

By Nancy Klobassa Davidson, R.N., and Peggy Moreland, R.N.

I been looking at articles from a number of popular diabetes magazines and other resources about diabetes myths. Each one seems to have its own list of the top five or 10 diabetes myths.

I decided to develop my own list of the top 10 diabetes myths that I've heard as a diabetes educator at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn. I'll reveal five this week, five next week.

Here goes (drum roll).

I have borderline diabetes or just a touch of diabetes.

Either you have it or you don't. Two fasting blood sugar readings over 126 milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL) or 7 millimoles per liter (mmol/L); a random blood glucose over 200 mg/dL (11.1 mmol/L); or an A1C of 6.5 percent or higher are all considered diabetes.

I don't know why I got diabetes, I never eat sweets.

Just about everything you eat is converted into glucose — sugar — so for most people with type 2 diabetes, what you eat is not as important as how much you eat. When you overeat, you're adding extra calories your body doesn't need for energy, so your body will convert these extra calories into fat. Being overweight is a predisposing factor for developing diabetes.

I can't eat carbohydrates; it makes my blood sugars go high.

Of course they do — even people who don't have diabetes will see an elevation in their blood glucose after eating. Carbohydrates should be approximately 50 percent of your daily food intake each day. Carbohydrates are your fuel, without them you will have little energy.

If I have to go on insulin; that must mean my diabetes is really bad.

You know, insulin has gotten a bad rap through the years. It's the blood glucose control that determines whether you go on insulin; if diet alone or diet along with oral or noninsulin-injectable diabetes medication(s) is not controlling the blood glucose, insulin is necessary.

Insulin causes complications of diabetes.

Again, insulin has gotten a bad rap. Insulin is a natural hormone and is probably one of the safest medications around. Insulin helps control the blood glucose, which in turn slows down or prevents diabetes complications.

Your thoughts? What are some of the diabetes myths you have come across?

Have a great week,

Nancy

Simple care for diabetic patient

high sugar levels:

the fluctuating sugar levels are not at all good. if level shoots up from perosn's "normal values" it means some sort of infection/illness in the body. if it is not controlled, even after increasing insulin doses or medication, it means there is infection in the body. the best is to contact your doc as soon as possible. delay will ensure longer recovery from ailment and complications. this prolbem gets worst when person is also suffering from arthritis. During this period, it is advisable to check sugar levels almost 5 to 6 times a day. this will give broad idea to doctor and it helps in long term.

Low diabetes:

Symptoms of low diabetes/sugar level (below 70 and worst if its below 50):

1. high perspiration: patient starts perspiring when diabetes goes below required limit.

2. unable to speak properly

3. person may start speaking irrelevant. its like when a person do not what is he saying.

4. blurred vision (very very seldom)

5. be calm and do not panic.

most patient will start perspiring profusely. it is advisable to check the sugar level immediately if possible. give sugar immediately in any form. it can be a chocolate, sweet or just sugar. if person is not properly speaking, then dissolve the sugar may be 2-3 spoons in a glass of water and give it. at times, if person in unable to speak properly then chances of biting own tongue increases. also put a spoon in the mouth so that he cannot chew his tongue accidentely. it is very common to happen as person generally looses his control over the body due to lack of sugar.

Keep in mind that brain requires sugar to function well. so even if sugar increases for time being, never hesitate to give more sugar when level drops drastically.

IF BY ANY CHANCE SUGAR LEVEL DOES NOT INCREASE, RUSH THE PATIENT TO HOSPITAL WITHOUT WASTING ANY TIME.

the best way to control diabetes is exercise, proper food habit and monitoring. monitoring not only your food, but also your routine, blood pressure, food and sugar level.

1. monitor your sugar level on daily basis (in initial stage)

2. follow the medication without a miss

3. always get your quarterly glucose level checked (irrespective of what doc say).

4. monitoring your kidney functions and eye functions - these 2 organs get affected most by diabetes.

5. never postpone routine check up or any ailment. consult the doctor immediately

6. Psychiatrist - consult if patient behavior changes after consulting the doctor. there is nothing wrong in it. i've seen in Mumbai, many docs advising the patient to consult psychiatrist. this helps them to cope up with the ailment and live more positively.

there are various machines available that can work as "artificial pancreas". these devices pumps insulin in your body continuously and are connected to your 24x7. no hassles and makes life more simpler. they are expensive but are really good. its called "pump" common parlance.

paradigm-revel.png

ask your doctor whether it is needed or not. my bro is using for almost 4 years now.

rule of thumb for diabetes, DO NOT PROLONG DOCTOR VISIT FOR ANY AILMENT. BE IT FEVER or HIT BY A NAIL IN LEG OR ANYTHING. for diabetic patients, healing is always longer.

I am not writing to threaten anyone, but to get ready for emergency and to be calm. these are from my personal experience. one of my brothers is diabetic and was hospitalised twice in the past. recently he got major eye infection and we could not find the cause. result, he was given steroids. so you can imagine what wrong it can do and also if you prompt, everything can be avoided or cured on time.

Also make sure, your doc is good. he should not be experimenting but providing proper guidance.

I am sorry if post is not in proper order.

Edited by csmart

how to get stevia seeds of good quality?

how to get stevia seeds of good quality?

For stevia there is one company in pune who sells saplings.

Santosh Agrotech

At Post Kharadi Tal, Shirur, Near Esser Petrol

Pune, Maharashtra, India - 411 026

Some are in gujarat and in rajasthan as well

For stevia it is said to not feasible unless we has specific kind of land. So I dropped idea of cultivating it in factory land. However its worth trying for business as well as regular useage.

Edited by kshah

Let me add a bit - Diabetes can be of two varieties:

1. Type 1 or Juvenile: This is mostly from birth. The body is incapable of producing insulin. So injection is the only fix available.

2. Type 2 or middle age: This is very rare in youth. With time the insulin production declines. Moderate diabetes can be controlled by diet. Otherwise meditation is necessary - ideally in combination with diet control. Here medication is used to boost natural insulin production.

Last week I and my wife got tested for blood sugar levels (fasting and non-fasting). Luckily we both don't have diabetes. :)

I already started excersise on Genius Babu's tips, so will ensure that it will not happen to us in the future also. :)

^ =-O

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Let me add a bit - Diabetes can be of two varieties:

1. Type 1 or Juvenile: This is mostly from birth. The body is incapable of producing insulin. So injection is the only fix available.

2. Type 2 or middle age: This is very rare in youth. With time the insulin production declines. Moderate diabetes can be controlled by diet. Otherwise meditation is necessary - ideally in combination with diet control. Here medication is used to boost natural insulin production.

The major factor here is hereditary. You cant escape from this "gift". :hi2:

i have type 2 and got my sugar down from 250 to 120 in less than a year [10-11 months] on a diet controlled by my wife

[without any excercise though obviously more exercise is better]

i even lost 10 kg in 10 months on that 'substitution' diet that i had posted about last year in this forum

now i can even stop taking my sugar reducing medicine [glycomet]

my dad has type 2 also

i've also reduced from 2 to 1 diet coke daily which my wife is also opposed to

:boxing:

A couple of additional points:

1. Yes, hereditary factors are important in Type 2 Diabetes. One parent 20%, both 80%.

2. Strict diet control can do wonders. An Uncle of mine was diagnosed as a diabetic when he was about 50. Now he is only 93. He has controlled his diabetes totally with diet for the past 40+ years. But very few of us can manage his discipline.

the fluctuating sugar levels are not at all good and similarly constant high levels means some sort of infection/illness in the body. when sugar levels remain high, even after increasing insulin doses or medication, it means there is infection in the body. the best is to contact your doc as soon as possible. delay will ensure longer recovery from ailment and complications. this prolbem gets worst when person is also suffering from arthritis. During this period, it is advisable to check sugar levels almost 5 to 6 times a day. this will give broad idea to doctor and it helps in long term.

My friend this is not true: High levels of Sugar can be a cause of Recurrent Infection but Infection causing high Sugar not true, if you have some Good MEDICAL reference let me know.

When Sugar level falls first thing to do is go down o floor with legs slight up, DON'T GIVE ANY THING ORALLY - the body will respond and generate some glucose on emergency, then it can be given ORALLY

I already started excersise on Genius Babu's tips, so will ensure that it will not happen to us in the future also. :)

Good to know it - Thanks

The major factor here is hereditary. You cant escape from this "gift". :hi2:

DOnt play BLAME game - its not true

now i can even stop taking my sugar reducing medicine [glycomet]

Diet and Exercise should go hand in hand, for medication reefer to your doctor who has prescribed.

medication_safe.jpg

2. Strict diet control can do wonders. An Uncle of mine was diagnosed as a diabetic when he was about 50. Now he is only 93. He has controlled his diabetes totally with diet for the past 40+ years. But very few of us can manage his discipline.

Yes thats great - requires lot of will power

"My friend this is not true: High levels of Sugar can be a cause of Recurrent Infection but Infection causing high Sugar not true, if you have some Good MEDICAL reference let me know."

apologies. wrong wordings. i meant, if levels are normal and then jumped and cannot brough down with inceased medication, then it can be infection in the body.

When Sugar level falls first thing to do is go down o floor with legs slight up, DON'T GIVE ANY THING ORALLY - the body will respond and generate some glucose on emergency, then it can be given ORALLY

how would you know whether body is generated glucose or not. how much time one should wait before giving something orally? i've seen what happens when it drops below 60 or 50. further I have consulted 3 renowned doctors of South Mumbai and all had advised it.

please explain your basis or source, it can be helpful.

how would you know whether body is generated glucose or not. how much time one should wait before giving something orally? i've seen what happens when it drops below 60 or 50. further I have consulted 3 renowned doctors of South Mumbai and all had advised it.

please explain your basis or source, it can be helpful.

When patient is Unconscious or Semiconscious and not able to talk/swallow then nothing Orally

if he can sit down and is conscious then oral glucose can be given

Body produces glucose by use of Glycogen and Epinephrine by a complex cycle you can read here

Also Cortisol an emergency chemical plays a important role

http://www.unitedhos...poglycemia.html

NOTHING should be given on lying down or differed conscious state. withing 10 min body will recover.

MOre reading here:

http://clinical.diab...t/24/3/115.full

Please consult your dr also in south mumbai his message is not clear to you.

BTW: a diabetic should always keep a lolly pop , candy handy

lollypop.jpg

Edited by Genius

Good Sharing Genius Sir

Though my Aunty got detected for diabetes recently..

but hearing the news of being detected made her little nervous for few days.

She has Controlled her diet very well so now she is fine,

Diabetes by clinical definition:

1. fasting blood glucose level ≥ 126mg/dL

2. Postprandial/random blood glucose level ≥ 200 mg/dL

3. Associated symptoms

4. Glycated hemoglobin (Hb A1C) ≥ 6.5%

• Like 2