Diabetes

30 members have voted

1. 1. Are you Diabetic

• Yes
    • No
    • Dont know - never got checked

Diabetes by clinical definition:

4. Glycated hemoglobin (Hb A1C) ≥ 6.5%

According to WHO Definition and Diagnosis of diabetes mellitus and intermediate hyperglycemia Recommendation 7 HbA1c - can not / Should not be used as a diagnostic criteria : many misguided / non-updated clinicians do it but here is WHO recommendation

Recommendation 7

Currently HbA1c is not considered a suitable diagnostic test for diabetes

or intermediate hyperglycaemia.

The following Table summarises the 2006 WHO recommendations for the

diagnostic criteria for diabetes and intermediate hyperglycaemia.

Diabetes

Fasting plasma glucose ≥7.0mmol/l (126mg/dl)

or

2–h plasma glucose* ≥11.1mmol/l (200mg/dl)

Impaired Glucose Tolerance (IGT)

Fasting plasma glucose <7.0mmol/l (126mg/dl)

2–h plasma glucose* ≥7.8 and <11.1mmol/l (140mg/dl and 200mg/dl)

Impaired Fasting Glucose (IFG)

Fasting plasma glucose 6.1 to 6.9mmol/l (110mg/dl to 125mg/dl)

2–h plasma glucose* <7.8mmol/l (140mg/dl)

* Venous plasma glucose 2–h after ingestion of 75g oral glucose load

* If 2–h plasma glucose is not measured, status is uncertain as diabetes

or IGT cannot be excluded:

You can read full article PDF here: http://www.idf.org/webdata/docs/WHO_IDF_definition_diagnosis_of_diabetes.pdf

Live free in Diabetes - read / understand / educate

swing.jpg

hiii vinay ...need ur suggestion...my fathers age is 55 and he is diabetic ..it came 357 in fasting this weak in diabetic test..can u suggest me the diet plan which he can follow..nd some needful suggestion...

Dear Friends I was diagnosed with pre-diabeties 2 months ago sugar level 120 in fasting. I was 120 kg 6 feet and my age was 25. I used to lead a very bad lifestyle sleep at 4-5 am get up at 2-3 pm. I used to smoke around 30 cigarettes daily and i used to eat like there is no tomorrow. Drink 5-6 650ml beer bottles at a time 2-3 days a week that too with large quantity of fried snacks. So when i found out my sugar levels i woke up and have completely changed my lifestyle. sleeping at 10-11 getting up at 5 in the morning and going for jogging. 2 months ago when i tried to jogg i was not able to run for even 2 minutes. but with time my leg and lungs got stronger and now i easily run for 30 mins approx 4.5 kms in 3 sets of 10 mins(i walk for 5 mins in between). I have just drank 3 beers in 2 months and am down to 3-4 cigarettes. I have completely stopped outside food i.e fast food and sugar and sugar related products.

With these efforts i have lost 11 kilos in 2 months and also my sugar has come to 99. People who want suggestion as to what to eat and what not to eat I would like to say

1) Instead of having 3 large meals try to have 6-7 small meals in interval of 2-3 hours.

2)Sugar is not the culprit in increasing sugar levels CARBOHYDRATES increase sugar levels and sugar which we use our homes is 100% carbohydrates. Buy a pack of GLUCON-D and see for urself 100 gm glucose is 100 gram carbs.

3) carbohydrates are also of 2 types one is simple and it increases blood sugar very fast these are our table sugar,white bread,white polished rice, pasta,potato and almost all fast foods these should be avoided at all costs(maggi,noodles, every thing that comes in a packet, all biscuits,chips, etc)

4) second type is complex carbohydrates which has FIBRE in it and is ok to eat in limited quantities. these are whole wheat roti,whole grain bread,brown rice and all vegetables,oats, all bran wheat flakes etc. you should eat these.

5) eating fibre is very important for diabetics as limits foods ability to rise blood sugar levels.

6) Chickpea a.k.a Chana a.k.a Bengal gram can be a exellent food for diabetics for breakfast or snacks. Sprouted chana has water,protien,good carbs and fibre in it I reccomend making it your primary cereal. all lentils and pulses are also good, kidney beans a.k.a rajma is also good, you can also eat nuts almonds, peanuts etc. Non-veg eaters can have eggs in a big way and chicken and fish also.

7) Friends we all have a habit of eating less veggies and pulses or daal in our meal compared to rice or roti. Change it eat 1-2 roti and big katori of daal and big servings of vegetables DO NOT FORGET TO INCLUDE BIG SERVING OF SALAD IN UR MEAL*( onions,tomato,lettuce,raddish,peas,carrots,etc)

8) soft drinks is what even fruit juices should be avoided YES EVEN FRESHLY SQUEEZED JUICE. Eat whole fruits instead. juicing removes all fiber from the fruit.

9) Milk should be limited to 500 ml daily. NOT more

Exercise is also very important if you are below 30 you should atleast walk and try to run. If over 40 should walk only for 40-50 mins daily (Brisk walking)

These are some things which i would like to share with you. I have just typed as things have come to my mind so if there are some mistakes please forgive me just trying to help:)

• Like 3

^ ^ ^

Great efforts and nice share. Not very easy to suddenly change one's lifestyle and put through such rigorous discpline which you successfully did. I have seen diabetics who are unable to do so for years. Guess you understood the dangers at the right time and put up a spirited effort. You will prevail. All the best. Keep it up.

• Like 1

@ Abhi:

Get a HbA1C (glycosylated hemoglobin) done

he needs 3000 cal diet max in 5-8 divided meals - best get a pro dietician for it - read it

@ Chitranjan

Great Job man - keep this up and limit your weight loss to max 5-6 kg a month not more else u will tax your liver

take this as a long term goal nothing immediate

what ever you have written up is just superb

• Like 1

Nice share Chitranjan :hi2:

• Like 1

@ chitranan

Keep it up buddy, to your effort are great and success is even greater

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

@ Rajan bhai, Vinay bhai, Akash bhai and kshah bhai Thank you so much for supporting me. It is support and encouragement from fiends and family that keeps me going. Will try to share more of my experience in losing weight, running and controlling sugar in coming time. :signthankspin:

@chitaranjan sharma,

Great Effort, Buddy.

Keep it up and remove Diabetes from your system, you are going great.

For people who have just been diagnosed with DM, this is one terrific way to reversing DM - by following a good diet, good exercise plan and most importantly, a very good sleep pattern.

Many people get DM due to irregular sleep patterns and the resulting stress.

Keep it up and thanks for sharing your experience here. It will definitely enlighten and motivate many here.

:signthankspin::clap1::clap::rockon:

good news - after 1 year of dieting my doctor allowed me to stop taking glycomet daily to reduce my blood sugar!

as a side effect of the low carbs / low sugar diet i also lost 9-10 kg over a year ...

bad news is that while my bad cholesterol has also come down, its still high enough to continue my daily medication

Daily i get patients saying i am controlling to fullest still my sugar elves are high, on asking them further i find out that what ver they are doing as controlling is wrong. i am listing few points in no particular order - please explain this to people who have diabetes around you.

- I am not taking sugar and rice

we should understand that body can derive energy only from glucose and no other source - WHAT ever you eat be Fat or carbohydrate or in special circumstances protein so it doesn't matter what you eat it gets converted to glucose

all diabetic people should control their calorie nothing else - intact if given a chance i would rename it to be - disease of excess calorie not excess sugar

for real life example 72 year man said since last 15 years i have constant sugar high with medication and strict control i asked him his diet, he said i eat limited - i said go on tell me. this is what he told:

Break fast: 1 plate poha + glass chai with milk

Lunch: 6 roti + sabji + dal + extras

Evening: snacks + chai

Night: 4 roti + sabji + dal

apart from this occasional snacks around the day

now you all tell me is this a diet for diabetes 72 year man which he clames to be under strict moderation, without sugar and rice

he is eating as he is 24 and high sugar is bound to happen - hell 6000 cal diet when he is supposed to have 2500 cal one.

majority do this mistake so - fellas ask them to write it down and do a cal chart - remember diabetes is all about access calorie not sugar

Girl%20dislikes%20vegetables.jpg

wanted to write more but - time gone

let me answer them if you have doubts

• Like 2

Girl%20dislikes%20vegetables.jpg

ऐसी तस्वीरों से भी कैलोरी का व्यय हो सकता है!! Through Invisible Exercises!!!

Doctorsaheb recently i came across this info. Is this good to follow?

There is a thing called Glycemic Index. It's a measure of the power of the food to raise blood sugar (glucose) level after being eaten. High Glycemic Index (More than 50 GI) foods are considered as a Bad add on to a diabetic patients diet. For Example, Replacing High GI bread (White) with chappati is a good option as they are calorically similar but the GI content in chappati is low.

As i understand this is not related strictly to how much sugar a particular food contains but how speedily it converts to sugar after being eaten. So may be helpful for people with high sugar levels to cut down on Bad Add On.

Attached images of both FOOD: Good Add On and Bad Add On

24o34mv.jpg

2ptnvyx.jpg

• Like 1

^^ Yes GI is a very good and not very recent concept - there has been papers on it,

there are food the shoot sugar like anything and there are some that does not - but again its difficult to predict this for a common man and even for a pro.

plus we eat mixed diet that even create more confusion - there are no guidelines to follow it AFAIN - its still working stage.

for all who have limited knowledge lets stick to cal method - although the chart is helpful what you have given but you can't have a chart for all you eat.

Thanks for the useful information Daktar Babu. :) +1

Diabetic people should care a lot about the diet they are taking.

Remember......You Live Only Once !

post-8210-0-76035700-1325970736_thumb.jp

Dear friends 8 months of diet control and jogging has made me lose 38 kilos. Sugar 2 hr after breakfast has come in 90s. Posting a few before and after pics.

post-52105-0-63147200-1335329631_thumb.j

post-52105-0-33350400-1335329636_thumb.j

post-52105-0-69680900-1335329638_thumb.j

post-52105-0-34196200-1335329640_thumb.j

post-52105-0-07350200-1335329663_thumb.j

• Like 6

^^^

Truly inspirational.

What an amazing transformation ! You look like a totally different person.

:previous:

share us your diet and exercise regime !

Recently on business tour, I met a guy from Jofhpur, who reduced 50Kgs in 3 years. He followed strict diet like avoiding sugar and sweets and reduced alcohol. he also walks/jogs daily for about 10Kms...

^^ thats wonderful Chitti

keep it up

Thank you friends.

@Inception I try to eat 2000-2200 calories in a day divided into 4-5 meals. breakfast is generally 2 pc brown bread with peanut butter and a bowl of wheat flakes with milk. Lunch consists of 2-3 rotis with 2 vegetables, 1 katori dal and 1 katori dahi with papad and salad. dinner again 1-2 roti 1 vegetable 1 katori daal and 1 cup milk. Apart from this i have 3-4 cups of tea with marie god biscuit and 1 table spoon mixture or roasted peanuts. I use sugar free in tea and milk etc. In evening i eat 5-6 egg whites and 1 complete egg(boiled). Once in a week i eat 1000 extra calories in fast food anything i want(pizza,samosa,burger anything).

For exercise i go jogging in the morning 5 times a week sunday is off and one random day in week i choose as per my wish. These days i run 5-6 kms and walk 2 kms but i started by walkink 1 hr in the begining and then slowly slowly i built my stamina and leg strength.

'' GIVE YOUR BODY 1HOUR AND YOUR BODY WILL GIVE YOU BACK 23 GOOD HOURS'' Start exercising today its never late..:)

• Like 1