Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
cmahendra

How 2 Mod And Setup Smc 3G Wifi Router (Reliance Version)?

HOW 2 MOD AND SETUP SMC 3G WIFI ROUTER (RELIANCE VERSION) to use with PREPAID 3G DataCard?

Plus: Working Reliance 3G Wifi Router Settings

Timeline 6th July 2010

======================

01:00 pm) Bought 3G WIFI Router (Model:SMCWBR14-3GN) from Reliance Express at MRP Rs.3699/- in Mumbai.

01:10 pm) Recharged my PREPAID Reliance Broadband+ 3G (EVDO) Data Card with Rs.3000 for Prepaid plan 18gb/6months. Came back home.

04:05 pm) Connected USB 3G Data Card to SMC Router. Connected SMC Router to PC and switched on. PC Got Dynamic IP as 192.168.2.100

Opened SMC Configuration System in browser with address http://192.168.2.1

(Logged in with default username as admin and password as smcadmin)

Did following working changes in NETWORK SETTINGS >> WAN Section

1. Wan Connection: 3G

2. Backup Wan: None

3. Start Mode: Automatic

4. PPP Authentication: No Authentication

5. PIN Code Protect: Not enabled

6. Dial Code: #777

7. APN Service: internet

8. 3G Username: 9323XXXXXX << your datacard number

9. 3G Password: 9323XXXXXX << your datacard number

10.3G MTU: 1500

11.3G MRU: 1500

12.Connect Type: Auto Connect

13.CLICKED TO SAVE.

Trust me you dont need to make any changes. Leave everything else default. It takes a minute or more to save for first time and Voila!!! Information section started showing 3G CONNECTED!

MIN ERROR! Not able to browse any site

--------------------------------------

I was so happy. Opened another Browser window and saw Google page working but very few seconds GOT ERROR IN BIG FONTS as MIN ERROR! Not authorised or some message like that. Now could not browse. Tried several times and got same error.

05:00 pm) Called helpdesk at *355 and explained error, they said some engineers available at other number will help me. Called for few minutes but could not get through these new numbers for 30 minutes.

05:30 pm) Finally got someone on this number and talked with him about settings and error. He made following statement which was like BOMB-EXPLOSION to me

I AM ADVICED TO GET POSTPAID PLAN WITH MULTIUSER SETUP? OMG I'M SCREWED

----------------------------------

He said "The settings are ok but I need to get POSTPAID PLAN WITH MULTIUSER SETUP to use 3G Router with Reliance DataCard." THIS WAS LIKE A BIG BLOW ON MY NOSE. SCARED I LOST MY RS.3000/- as I know how good reliance is in refunding money.

He further asked me to go to Reliance Express and request them to refund my Rs.3000/- paid for PREPAID 3G Recharge and convert DATACARD into POSTPAID and go for any plan with MULTIUSER request.

I was nearly going faint. Said "Thanks" and hanged up phone. THOUGHT THIS WAS THE DEAD END.

EXPERIMENTING ON MY BRAND NEW SMC ROUTER

--------------------------------------

06:15 pm) With this new discovery I was feeling like being Stupid but then I started looking for my own options.

06:45 pm) After playing around for some time in SMC Management Window, I noticed the SMC FIRMWARE Version as showing following line

OLD FIRMWARE Version: reliance_smcmr3306a-1.0.1.8-INDr1865.ba

The word RELIANCE in this firmware caught my attention and was sure RELIANCE have modified the factory FIRMWARE with some SMART BUSINESS ORIENTED tweaking.

With other handy internet connection, I visited www.smc-asia.com and luckily found and downloaded new FIRMWARE for exact SMC model as given below...

NEW FIRMWARE Version: smcmr3306a-1.0.1.8-beta-EUr1885.ba

FIRMWARE UPDATE

---------------

07:00PM) Without giving a second thought flashed new FIRMWARE on 3G WIFI SMC Router from following SMC Options

MANAGEMENT >>> FIRMWARE >> Selected firmware file and uploaded in Router. Update took around 3 minutes and Router Rebooted.

Did all same above settings once again and saved. Switched off Router and Switched on...

SUCCESS! USING 3G ROUTER WITH PREPAID PLAN WITH NO MULTIUSER REQUEST

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I can use 3G Router for Internet Wired and Wireless connection on all connected PCs and wifi devices like... my Motorola Milestone, O2 Atom Life, etc. etc. with no restrictions with same PREPAID PLAN. Internet everywhere on each router connected devices.

This means reliance was actually cheating with customers (us) by forcing us to change our cheaper PREPAID plan data cards into costilier POSTPAID plans.

PROBLEM SOLVED

--------------------

Reliance tried to play smart with customers but with this simple trick I could SOLVE this reliance-made problem in just few hours.

HOPE THIS HELPS WHOLE INDIA.......COZ REALLY I DID NOT GET THIS SOLUTION ANYWHERE WITH SMC ROUTER

ALL SETTINGS AND FIRMWARE FLASHING INFORMATION IS CORRECT, BUT STILL YOU MUST DO IT ON YOUR OWN RISK. And yes, one also must have some courage to flash brand new devices in first few hours. I did flashed O2 Atom Life around 70 times with custom ROMS with different features and WM6.5 OS. Also unsuccessfully tried to ROOT Motorola Milestone (giving superadmin root access) in first 3 hours of purchase, but thank god no damage done. Anyways GOODLUCK TO YOU ALL.

PS: Writing this post with same 3G Router Connection of Relianc PREPAID 3G Internet.

EDIT: (17-July-2010) As per Devesh's advice I did upgraded to Firmware Version: smcmr3306a-1.0.1.10.ba found on USA site of SMC with no issue. CLICK HERE FOR HIS VALUABLE POST WITH MY REPLY.

post-8527-019519500 1278454018_thumb.gif

post-8527-071236600 1278568270_thumb.jpg

Edited by cmahendra
  • Like 7

Hats off man.Why these guys want to make us pay so much extra?

good sharing

good info

this will help man rimwebaian

gud one but are u taking abt evdo data card or is there any other 3G data card available in market !!!!

PArdon my ignorance; is Reliance officially selling these 3G-wifi routers ?

I don't see any info about the device on the rcom website....

+1 to you Mahendra Bhai for the good share. :)

gud one but are u taking abt evdo data card or is there any other 3G data card available in market !!!!

The same 3G Data Card sold by Reliance, Click on DEVICES on this reliance page But technically, all 3G cards even TATA PHOTON should also work with any 3G Routers in market with no issue.

PArdon my ignorance; is Reliance officially selling these 3G-wifi routers ?

I don't see any info about the device on the rcom website....

YES, Reliance is officially selling 3G WIFI Router with only one model from SMC "SMCWBR14-3GN". I got it from Reliance Express in Mumbai but many outlets do not have stock. They will make it availbale if you order for one. Yes nothing on rcom site, in fact I saw the Router BOX on sale in May 2010 in Reliance Express in Mumbai, when I went to recharge my 3G card.

But I will suggest, not to buy it from them for many reasons.

SMCWBR14-3GN (See image from first post)

PROS:

1) TWO WAN ports (usb and rj45) and FOUR LAN ports (rj45). Both WAN can be connected and working at the same time. Even WIFI can be used as WAN, just imagine, internet input through WIFI from another WIFI router. Isn't that cool. (not tested though its a feature and should work) will post result later after testing some other time.

2) Even you dont have USB 3G Modem, use it like standard router for your regular cable modem

2) Main unit and adaptor are both Lightweight.

3) Easy configuration through browser interface

4) Can be used as standalone switch or internet access point/gateway

5) DUAL WAN PORT, if first wan fails, the second (backup) wan automatically starts working, if connected and configured.

6) The internet sharing convinience is great with this 3G Router and there is no need to tell how beautiful the 3G service is in the heart of Mumbai city.

7) Another great convinience of USB DATA Card with 3G Router is you can take it from Home to Office and Office to Home. At least I do the same as my office is in next building to my home.

8) Generally you need to keep your laptop near window to get good 3G reception, else you get frequent disconnection, but here you can keep 3G router near window for good 3G reception and use your other WiFi devices almost anywhere in your home or office with Strongest WiFi signal.

CONS:

1) The modem is too bigger in size like TV SET-TOP-BOX.

2) And you already know how Reliance tried to mod it for making it restricted to POSTPAID 3G card user.

3) Router is not GIGABIT speed. Its 10/100mbps 10/300mbps.

4) Delicate and very thin plastic body, you can feel it. I am sure, if dropped in perfect angle by mistake, it will break into hundred pieces.

5) USB port can be used only for 3G Data card, I mean in other versions you can use it for PRINT SERVER.

You may do some study on other models in Ebay for other better and more features.

NOTE:

Just quietly buy any good 3G Router available outside in the market, Edimax, Trendnet, etc. Just search in EBAY as "3G ROUTER" and you will find many items to buy from. No need to tell Reliance about it and also no need to change any plan. It will work both on POSTPAID and PREPAID 3G cards.

+1 to you Mahendra Bhai for the good share. :)

Thanks a lot Honest bhai, Glad to see you again.

Edited by cmahendra
  • Like 2

post-2211-022663300 1279189920_thumb.jpgHi,

Thanks for the great post. I too was about to do the same. Update it with the latest firmware to break the idiotic lock which reliance has put on the router.

Now I do not need to do so, since you have already sucessfully done it.

However the latest firmware is : V1.0.1.10

http://www.smc.com/files/AY/FW_SMCWBR14-3GN_v1.0.1.10.zip

Can you upgrade the firmware and check if that works?

Now I think you can use modem of any service provider with the SMC router, so long as it is supported by firmware and not stuck with just Reliance.

The list of modems which are supported can be viewed in the attachment :

post-2211-052766400 1279189966_thumb.jpg

post-2211-022663300 1279189920_thumb.jpgHi,

Thanks for the great post. I too was about to do the same. Update it with the latest firmware to break the idiotic lock which reliance has put on the router.

Now I do not need to do so, since you have already sucessfully done it.

However the latest firmware is : V1.0.1.10

http://www.smc.com/files/AY/FW_SMCWBR14-3GN_v1.0.1.10.zip

Can you upgrade the firmware and check if that works?

Now I think you can use modem of any service provider with the SMC router, so long as it is supported by firmware and not stuck with just Reliance.

The list of modems which are supported can be viewed in the attachment :

Dear Devesh

THANKS A TON FOR YOUR POSITIVE RESPONSE WITH MORE SUGGESTIONS. I am proud of this forum to have people like you.

In fact, earlier I did not find this model in current list of BROADBAND ROUTERS in USA website of www.smc.com where you found the latest firmware. After reading your post I just searched google with exact model number and then only found the Product page with links to latest firmware download page.

Guess what, I gave it a try and simply wow! The new firmware working fine without any issue. Used for several hours and hours and internet connection is fine. Not dropping. No restrictions. Now my 3G router is with following latest version with many many bugs fixed.

Version: smcmr3306a-1.0.1.10.ba

Another Observation. Settings Intact after upgrade?: After updating the Firmware I did notice that the settings were not washed off. Generally it happens that due to hardware firmware upgrade the device goes to factory settings and you need to do re-setup of all values, example your 3g username password etc. But here I found that after update Router restarted and internet got connected without re-setting it. That was strange to me. Anyways all is well that ends well.

SO DEAR DEVESH, I CONFIRM THAT NEW FIRMWARE 1.0.1.10 IS PERFECTLY WORKING FINE ON SMC SMCWBR14-3GN. STILL REMEMBER, DO AT YOUR OWN RISK. And dont be afraid, my both upgrades were done in single shot with full success. Actually needless to say, but still wanna say, this post itself is written with same 3g router internet connection.

Tip: We should always be careful about exact model number of device before doing firmware upgrade.

Edited by cmahendra

+1 & 5*s

This info is really useful.. thanks for sharing.

Excellent! Again +1

+1 & 5*s

This info is really useful.. thanks for sharing.

Thank a lot pals! I will be around whenever any new info is available in this regard.

Hello i bought the SMC router thursday and i have added all the settings and updated to the latest firmware also. The 3g light on the wifi router is always on (means it is connected according to the manual) and also the blue light on the USB modem is blinking continuously(means its connected) . But after connecting to the wifi network from my comp i am unable to load any page. I dont know why this is happening? any suggestions?

Hello i bought the SMC router thursday and i have added all the settings and updated to the latest firmware also. The 3g light on the wifi router is always on (means it is connected according to the manual) and also the blue light on the USB modem is blinking continuously(means its connected) . But after connecting to the wifi network from my comp i am unable to load any page. I dont know why this is happening? any suggestions?

hi yashrocks

Assuming you got the same model 3g router I am using and I am also from mumbai like you. I confirm that there is no change done at reliance side. I am using internet via 3g router regularly with no issue.

REMEMBER: THE INTERNET STARTS FLOWING ONLY AFTER AT LEAST 1/2 MINUTES. Keep router in good position near window so it gets full/good signal.

Also check if you can surf when connected directly to pc or not. If yes, try going through the manual regarding three buttons on router I myself also got confused once. I think 3g light should be blinking when connected. Also check the status in router control panel at http://192.168.2.1

Hope you will also be able to use this router with some tweaking with buttons.

Hi cmahendra,

Thx for your post. have the same model 3G router.

According to the manual the 3G light should be always on this shows tht it is connected. Internet connection is connected accorning to router page but on wifi when I try to load any page it directs me to the router page and asks me to login.!! Any address it directs me to the router page! I think reliance has done some extra tweeking on the hardware of the router. Even after updating to the latest firmware i.e 1.0.1.10 I am getting directed to the router page everytime I enter any URL.

Has any one tried to Connect a Rel USB modem Huwaei EC1260 with Asus RT-N13u ?

Has anyone tried this router?? LINK

This router seller sells it as usb modems compatible with UMTS/HSDPA/CDMA. Is this a router which can support GSM as well as CDMA usb modems for 3G speeds??

:previous: :previous:

honest bhai we r using this router...chk the post by mukesh bhai(mgdelhi)..we took tht router from him...infact we wud rate this router as 7.5/10 ..since we noobs were able to set it with the just minor changes..infact after using router the diconnections which we were facing reduced to nil on bsnl 3g..

regards

@Abhishek, Thanks for letting me know that you have this router. Now I want to know if you are currently using bsnl 3g (which I presume is the GSM version of BSNL and not the BSNL EVDO), can you check if any CDMA modems work in this and give you connectivity?? CDMA Modems are issued by BSNL under EVDO, and also by Reliance under trade name Reliance Broadband+, and Tata under trade name Tata Photon+.

If you have any of these connections kindly check and if you dont have, my request is to see if any of your friend's are using it, to borrow for a few mins/hours, and test accordingly.

This way, even you shall know that the router is for both GSM and also CDMA compatible.. :)

:previous: :previous:

bhai we hv chked evdo modem which we took from amit bhai...working gud but on 1x since bijapur dosent hv evdo service ......we even chked ec325...all working smoothly no hassles whatsoever....

also the modem was fun as we had a gp of guys n we cud all connect to the wireless network with our lappys n cellphones without any issues....

regards

^^ Thanks a lot Abhishek, your help is really appreciable.. I am planning to buy some routers, which I feel might be able to sell it some fellow rimwebians, and help them make their house/office wifi.. :)

nice ...bhai even we were planning to take one more same model router as we were impressed with that router .....looks like we will take it from u... :Sorprendido:

^^ Stay tuned buddy... :)