Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Greatest

Wireless Broadband – 3G Or Evdo What Is The Choice?

We at India have been watching a tag-of-war between mobile operators on basis of voice call and SMS tariffs for a while; it also put its feet in the desk of VAS to cut down the ARPU and net profits of mobile operators in an overcrowded market which brings mobile phones to the masses.

But we never saw the intense tariff war on internet or data segment in spite of about 373 companies having ISP license from TRAI out of which 99 are category A ISP (i.e. they can offer Internet services over all India). In 2004 Broadband Policy was announced with directions for the growth of Broadband which was defined as always on connection with minimum speed of 256 Kbps. It is fact that on wireline broadband segment BSNL is still the king, making its landline business still viable. But we need affordable Mobile Broadband.

In mobile broadband market we presently have only two technologies available – EVDO from CDMA operators (Tata Photon+, Reliance Netconnect Broadband+, MTS MBlaze, BSNL EVDO and Virgin vFlash) and 3G from GSM operators (BSNL and MTNL covering the nation). Private GSM operators who won 3G licences will roll out 3G high speed data services shortly, as spectrum allocation hopefully will be in coming September.

I am often asked “what to choose 3G or EVDO?” and this question comes only for Internet access while on move, but as I am comparing these two technologies I am covering other conveniences of them also.

Have a look into the exclusive Comparison:

mtnl-3g-data-card.jpegWireless Broadband

EVDO ( CDMA ) (Tata Photon Plus, Reliance Netconnect Plus, MTS, BSNL EVDO, Virgin)

3G ( GSM ) (BSNL and MTNL – currently offering 3G)

Connection speed Download speed is upto 3.1 Mbps, upload speed upto 1.8Mbps At present download speed upto 3.6Mbps & upload speed upto 384Kbps which can be upgraded to 7.2Mbps and then 10.2Mbps. BSNL/MTNL already starts selling wireless modems supporting 7.2Mbps, even some handsets (eg Nokia C5) is capable of supporting 10.2Mbps speed.

How to access Mostly using USB data card, only Tata Indicom offers such speed on mobile also. But you can call, SMS using the data card (if supported) from your computer

Handsets and 3G Modem (USB or PCMCIA interface), Laptops/lablets with 3G SIM slot. Services apart from internet access Only Mobile TV Video calling is not available though Tata Indicom launched Photon+ on mobile.

Mobile TV, Video Calling – as SIM is coming with modems also. While TV thing does not impress me, Video calling on 3G is coolest thing to enjoy.

Device Cost Reliance, MTS, BSNL modem Rs 2299, while Tata Photon+ modem costs Rs 2499. Apart from BSNL other EVDO operators don’t have option to use unlocked/outside purchase. MTNL modem costs Rs 1799 While BSNL’s modem comes around Rs 2000 which supports 3.6Mbps, the modem supports 7.2Mbps costs

Handsets Fewer choices and only Tata Indicom offers EVDO on mobile. A lot of choice is there. Entry leval Nokia’s 2730 Classic offers 384 Kbps seeped and comes at Rs.4200 while Sony Ericsson Naite comes around 6000 bucks with a support of 3.6Mbps bandwidth.

Coverage Compared to 3G, EVDO has limited coverage, while EVDO is not available speed will be as per 1X service (153.6Kbps) 3G have awesome coverage, BSNL is doing an awesome job to cover most of the places before private operators put their footprints in 3G market. Without 3G, you can still get internet access with 2G network (144 – 240Kbps)

Tariff This is well diversified, for eg BSNL EVDO unlimited comes at just Rs 650/month While other EVDO operators (all are private telcos) have no unlimited or night-unlimited plan.

3G comes cheaper than EVDO. Unlimited data comes for Rs 2500, MTNL Delhi offering it at Rs 1800

But before you go for these things, know your needs first. If you need to access Internet on move on large scale try to get BSNL EVDO, if available in your working area. If you are using a 3G handget go for 3G – it is excellent one. But you sometimes need this wireless thing and don’t have 3G handset or connection I recommend MTS Mblaze, it comes with prepaid packs with lifetime validity, just use once in 180 days and it will be active.However MTS is not the cheapest in terms of tariff plans.

Interestingly most users of EVDO are not happy with the customer care services, and speed with their EVDO connection. Wireless speed depends on various factors like distance from EVDO towers, congestion of network, spectrum allocated to the operator etc.

In BWA auction Mukesh Ambani promoted Reliance Industries owned Infotel Broadband becomes the only pan India basis operator accept BSNL. As it is reported they will initially roll out WiMAX, followed by Long Term Evolution (LTE). The first phase of WiMAX will show the speed upto 23 Mbps and the second phase of WiMAX (802.16e), will deliver 50 Mbps. LTE release 8, will offer a hopping 270 Mbps download and 62.7 Mbps upload speeds. May be we will not get such speed, but still can dream for 10Mbps wireless connection in coming years.

SOURCE

I think some GSM lobby has 'paid/bribed' them to write good about GSM... in reality, CDMA is the best...

Comments from actual users of both..

only Tata Indicom offers EVDO on mobile.

Not correct

A lot of choice is there. Entry leval Nokia’s 2730 Classic offers 384 Kbps seeped and comes at Rs.4200 while Sony Ericsson Naite comes around 6000 bucks with a support of 3.6Mbps bandwidth.

both are worthless sets

Coverage Compared to 3G, EVDO has limited coverage, while EVDO is not available speed will be as per 1X service (153.6Kbps) 3G have awesome coverage, BSNL is doing an awesome job to cover most of the places before private operators put their footprints in 3G market. Without 3G, you can still get internet access with 2G network (144 – 240Kbps)

EVDO coverage is far more than 3G at present. and 1x speeds are much better than EDGE

EVDO is definitely cheaper nowadays in comparison to BSNL/MTNL’s 3G

BSNL gives EVDO @ 750 p.m. without tax, MTS MBLAZE is available for 999(Broadband speeds only upto 15gb) ,both unlimited as such.

BSNL 3G is way to costly @ 2500.

Hence kindly correct that EVDO is cheaper as of now.

EVDO is better any time, 3g in GSM will be on bandwidth which has poor coverage area hence more capex to give good coverage.

Evdo works on 800 mhz which has better penetration than 3gsm.

moreover evdo easier to deploy, operators just have to upgrade the channel card and the software.

For 3GSm Operators have to lay parallel network to 2g.

Evdo is time proven and more consistent.

America is the best example where AT & T is still struggling to give good service on their 3GSM while Verizon and sprint are provding consistent speed on their EVDO rev a network.

Edited by suvirajshetty

In Kerala, BSNL 3G has less coverage area compared to EVDO of private providers. BSNL is providing 3G with one or two 3G equipped towers in major towns and coverage and signal strength are very insufficient, in rural areas even the BSNL officers are not heard about 3G.

In Tamilnadu, definitely BSNL 3G covers more places than EVDO.. this is true on paper.. Practically, inside the so called 3G covered areas, even inside chennai city, very very often the signal switches over to 2G because of very low signal strength.. But EVDO is great.. Wherever they say EVDO will work, there u will get 100% reliable EVDO service.. But 3G .. not reliable.. Easily switches over to 2G

What I think is that .. BSNL has just fitted a 3G transponder in all its existing towers.. Thats all..

BSNL 2G operates at 900MHZ everywhere..

whereas 3G is around 2100 MHZ

So the towers required to cover a similiar area compared to 2G is atleast triple the number... So definitely insufficient..

So EVDO is the bright choice.. Reliability wins..

^^^ Based on various observations and reviews on the internet, I personally feel, it is based on area-specifics... At some places, 3g GSM wins, whereas many other places EVDO wins...

My need to start this thread was to make people (atleast rimwebians) aware that if you guys are planning to use or buy a new/upgrade your existing connection for wireless broadband, kindly do a reality check before going for any operator..

I hope this thread might have helped many people.. More discussions on this technology also needs to be carried on.. Do provide your valuable comments..

Is it TRUE that the download speed of EVDO reduces drastically, if few (say upto 10) users are downloading (means ALL trying to download heavy files or movies) using signals from the SAME tower???

Gurus please explain whether this is TRUE or a mere hype... :GirandoOjos:

Edited by KanagaDeepan

It's true for all wireless or wired technology as every one has limited bandwidth available per bts. For wired ADSL too this is true.

:previous:

It is called as Contension ratio.

That means X Amt of Bandwidth is allocated to maximum Y number of customer.

contention ratio 1:20.

1 unit of bandwidth is allocated to 20 users.

1Unit = 1Mbps or 2Mbps or X Kbps.

It is done so that all user are not using data simultaneously. so operator can save cost on infrastructure.

Thanks KShah Ji... :signthankspin:

If that is the case, then EVDO is definitely better than 3G with better indoor coverage and availability (EVDO thru USB data cards are available from all CDMA players now, but only BSNL is available for 3G now)..

Guys , What about wimax, BSNL started wimax in Punjab region , they said one wimax tower has 17 KM Range , and i m using it , I have indoore CPE and i m 9 KM From wimax tower and get one bar inside my house and half bar outside my house , speed is 2mbps , i got 220 plan

Evdo is any day better than 3gsm due to stability and better coverage due to 800 mhz.

Wimax is still in initial phase of implementation but certainly future belongs to it. It will be then known as LTE

^

Wimax and LTE are 2 totally different technologies.... though both are known as 4G....

Though both of these wireless technologies are intended to offer ubiquitous broadband at multiple megabits per second.

Mobile WiMAX is an IEEE specification also known as 802.16e and designed to support as high as 12Mbps data-transmission speeds. It uses Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiple Access, which transmits data by splitting radio signals that are broadcast simultaneously over different frequencies. These signals are immune to interference and can support high data rates.

LTE was developed in the Third-Generation Partnership Project as the natural progression of High-Speed Packet Access (HSPA), the GSM technology that is currently used by carriers such as AT&T to deliver 3G mobile broadband. LTE is a modulation technique that is designed to deliver 100Mbps per channel and give individual users performance comparable to today's wired broadband.

So no prizes for guessing which one's winning.... 12Mbps vs 100Mbps...

Edited by dkaile

Wimax is Time Duplexed

LTE is Orthogonal Frequency Duplexed

but in india 2.3 Ghz Spectrum Auction is Sequential Spectrum and LTE is made for india on 2.3 will be TD-LTE (Time Duplex LTE same as Wimax but more Flexible)