Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
sgiitk

Oldies Who Are New To Smart Phones - Bb

I am a long term mobile user (since 1999 on GSM, and since the original DAPO on CDMA). I have just acquired my first smart phone a Blackberry 8330 from Hitesh. He has been very supportive but I would like to learn on my own I have some queries.

1. What information resides on the phone and is not lost if the OS has to be reloaded?

2. What information comes as part of the OS and can be loaded/reloaded? Also, changes or is lost on a reload

3. What is the procedure for a. changing the splash screen from Verizon to Reliance, and b. Reloading the OS on a BB? I saw these once but have been unable to locate these again. Please either guide me to the exact thread(s), or give a beginners guide.

4. Software required for these and other operations. Please post or PM me.

I could not find any place to post this, and I hope I am not in the wrong area. If so mods please move this topic to where it should belong.

Sir,

1) Only data in memory card is retained - the right way is to take a backup using desktop manager and then do OS wipe and u can restore all data even call logs and your personal settings after that.

2) basic OS with applications related to phone and some optional apps as per version of OS used.

3-4 even i have to look for.

Good DAy

@Genius: Am I right in assuming that the OS files are also overwritten when a backup is taken, even though by the looks of it they are in a different location.

Thanks for the prompt response. I am trying t understand the game at large. It is too easy to get one of our resident guru's to come on and 'fix' the system.

OS dosen'tgets backup, In backup u get Phone Book, Messages, Profile Settings, Some more pre loaded software settings are backed up

@parin: It still leaves me confused.

Let me take an example : I have a BB with service no. (MDN) x, MIN (SL_S in BB parlance) y, and UIM ID as z. I have taken a backup, and then somewhere the phone is bricked. So how do I get it back in business?

Another point: I know how to change the MDN and MIN but not UIM? I guess the latter is in the 'grey area', s maybe a PM will be the better way for that.

here are

GOLDEN WORDS

ITS VERY VERY DIFFICULT TO BRICK BLACKBERRY NORMALLY

( UNLESS YOU ARE PROGRAMMING RADIO , WHICH U WONT ANYWAYS)

so donot worry about not been able to restore bb

i have restored weirdest of bbs

Just reload the OS hope fully it will start working, if ur no is already programmed

@mufaddal: reassuring words indeed, esp. to the father of a brand new MCh!

@parin this means the firmware which contains the identity information is either preserved or info restored from the backup sets this right (I guess from the OS area).

@konquerror: UIM is the term used by Hitesh when he asked me to get info out of my 6275. He asked me to get the UIM and the MIN and send him the former. Then I was asked to program in the MDN and MIN. I did not find MIN and while on line with my son (has a Hero) was told it should be the same as SL_S. Worked!

I am as lost as at the outset.

I still want to remove the Verizon splash and replace with the Reliance Screen. Procedures for i. changing the UIM, ii. replacing the Verizon splash screen with Reliance (I have downloaded the set of files posted by Hitesh), and iii. reloading the OS.

Also, I am told I have to make some change in case I decide to sell my 6275! What is needed?

U can download the OS from here========>> https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=2417DC8AF8570F274E6775D4D60496DA

Install it on your computer

Wipe your phone with BBSAK Download Link

Now Load the OS

After the OS is Loaded Just restore ur backup with the help of Desktop Manager

Hope ur phone will start working

Thanks parin. What I have is 4.5.0.175 on 3.4.0.55 and what I find is 4.5.0.172. I guess the difference is between Verizon and Reliance splash screens.

to load splash screens u need to load vsm files

for that u need mfi

to load splash screens u need to load vsm files

for that u need mfi

Thanks.

But I am not a geek, so what you say is Greek to me!?

Where does one get the vsm files (esp. pertaining to BB8330) and what is mfi and where do you get it. I recall seeing a post of yours about doing this on the 'worldphone'. I guess the same technique should work. Can you please provide a link as I was unable to find it.

I have bbsak - Hitesh installed it for me when getting the phone up.

Edited by sgiitk