Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Greatest

Landline Numbers May Have 10 Digits Soon

The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) has reject the proposal to move the mobile number from 10 digits to 11 digits and proposed that the existing 10-digit numbering scheme should be continued to avoid inconvenience to the customers that would accompany any move to shift to an 11 digit numbering scheme. Giving a two pronged strategy, TRAI has recommended that India should migrate to an “Integrated Numbering Scheme” for Fixed (land line) and Mobile services by 31st December, 2011.

In other words both fixed line and mobile phones will have a 10-digit number. This would make available enough numbers to cater to expansion of existing services and introduction of new services for the next 30-40 years.

This integrated numbering will also facilitate extension of number portability to fixed lines.Till the integrated scheme is implemented the dialling of intra-circle calls from fixed lines to mobile will be with ‘0’ prefixed.

This would enable exploitation of spare capacity available in the sublevels of existing Short Distance Charging Area (SDCA) codes, to the extent of about one billion numbers without affecting any telephone number or STD code.

SOURCE

"integrated number scheme & Number portability including landlines numbers" is very good. But remember this is "India". Good things will stay in papers, not come in to action :NOTriste: .

^

Why be so critical? India is amongst few successful countries in world who successful in implementing CPP regime. We also enjoy cheapest call rates in the world. Trai is unable to implement MNP on time - ONLY.

seems good move. but it should be across the country and not like current scenario where digits vary from major cities to b grade to towns to villages etc.. fix no of digit with minimum possible STD codes.. the best example is US where they have 3 digit area code and 7 digit number.

should be implemented faster as private cos are only in cities and may not oppose it. while rest of India, BSNL is there..

:previous:

Most of our STD codes are only 3 digits. The first digit 0 is the national access code. (00 is the international access code). Example 04856419971, first 0 is national access code, 485 is three digit STD code (area code), 6419971 is the seven digit phone number. When we call from foreign countries dial 00 the international access code first then country code 91 in case of India, then area code and phone number last. Now the number is 00914856419971. + symbol can be used instead of international access code. (+914856419971 is the same as 00914856419971). But in rare areas in India 6 digit phone number and 4 digit area code is also existing. Example 04862245307 where 0 national accesses code, 4862 is the area code, 245307 is the six digit phone number.

Edited by KAPILKDEV

:previous:

Most of our STD codes are only 3 digits. The first digit 0 is the national access code. (00 is the international access code). Example 04856419971, first 0 is national access code, 485 is three digit STD code (area code), 6419971 is the seven digit phone number. When we call from foreign countries dial 00 the international access code first then country code 91 in case of India, then area code and phone number last. Now the number is 00914856419971. + symbol can be used instead of international access code. (+914856419971 is the same as 00914856419971). But in rare areas in India 6 digit phone number and 4 digit area code is also existing. Example 04862245307 where 0 national accesses code, 4862 is the area code, 245307 is the six digit phone number.

Kaun si Duniya mein ho Janab. According to the last list of STD codes available with me, out of total 2645 STD codes in India, 2472 are of 4 Digits, 158 are of 3 Digits and only 15 are of two digits. There may be a variance of 5-10% in this list (which I doubt). So on an all more than 93% STD codes in India are of 4 Digit. Forget the small cities, towns and villages, even the STD codes at district level are in 4digits in most of the case.

Just see the attached file.

Regards

STD List.xls

Thanks for the STD codes list Tarun bhai..

I am also eagerly waiting for MNP on LANDLINES...

For sure, BSNL will be the huge loser, when MNP for landlines also comes with mobiles... Either they should start Prepaid Landline services or 1p/sec tariff on LL to save themselves from MNP..

Edited by KanagaDeepan

Thanks for the STD codes list Tarun bhai..

I am also eagerly waiting for MNP on LANDLINES... For sure, BSNL will be the huge loser, when MNP for landlines also comes with mobiles...

I don't think so in case of landlines, what are the options for MNP in landlines except in Metros where Airtel etc are giving service. And in those cases, already most of the customers have shifted to Airtel / Tata & Relaince FWP. If I see example of Delhi, most of the people had already opted for Airtel Land line (Also keeping there old MTNL with zeo rental) due to its good service / broadband connectivity.

Attaching a convenient excel DB for STD/ISD and Mobile nos. though its an year old, but still useful.

Tracker.zip

As it stands we are on 10 digits - Delhi/Mumbai/bangalor etc. 2+8, Kanpur etc. 3+7, Smaller towns 4+6! So what is the sturm und drang all about?

As it stands we are on 10 digits - Delhi/Mumbai/bangalor etc. 2+8, Kanpur etc. 3+7, Smaller towns 4+6! So what is the sturm und drang all about?

But that is with STD codes. Now if they convert landlines to 10 digit number, STD codes will still be required as the digit increase are not to avoid STD codes but to increase the capacity.

Regards

^^^ From the post posted by trai,I feel, they do not want to increase more digits (like 10 digit ll number plus std code).. What they are trying to say is, the LL numbers itself shall become like mobile numbers.. so if someone wants to call a LL from say Gujarat to Tamil Nadu, they will only have to put a 0 (zero) in front of the 10 digit ll number..

BTW, I was amazed to find out a few days back that my age old LL number (BSNL) which was not having the STD facility since the start, has suddenly been able to make std calls... I have not given any application also for the same.. Something must be cooking at bsnl now... Can others please check with their BSNL LLs if they are also having the same issue/problem/advantage?

BTW, I was amazed to find out a few days back that my age old LL number (BSNL) which was not having the STD facility since the start, has suddenly been able to make std calls... I have not given any application also for the same.. Something must be cooking at bsnl now... Can others please check with their BSNL LLs if they are also having the same issue/problem/advantage?

The STD facility was provided as default to existing BSNL numbers which were not on special tariff plans, when they started the One India plans. The General Plan which is applicable to most BSNL Landlines has One India plan and therefore also has STD facility. At that time BSNL requested users who did not want the STD facility to give an application to that effect.

hmmmm :Decepcionado:

I didt get std activated when one india plan started

i was on base plan, than automatically transfered to one india plan

Look at it this way. With 10 digits you will have 9,000,000,000 possible numbers (remember there will be no numbers of less that 10 digits. This should be enough to cover India.There should be no need for area specific numbers at all.

Not long back MTNL in mumbai has provisioned 95-level access for Short distance call to areas adjoining Mumbai as also to Pune.

That actually translated to 12-digits (5 + 7 as in 95250 + 7-digit).

Thankfully, they have again reverted back to old STD code system.

However, 10 digit unified system is good. And there is no need to substantially change anything. Just make STD codes part of the phone number and you are done.

It will be same as in mobile as starting 3/4 digits will identify location/circle.