Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kepal

Airtel upgrading GPRS to 3G?

I am using Airtel Corporate connection where i am enjoying unlimited GPRS @ 100/-,Just now i recd. SMS from Airtel-CC that soon you will receive new Airtel Settings & save that as default settings & suddently my GPRS disconnected.

my wild guess is Airtel may upgrading 3G for corporate customer :rofl_200: any idea about such upgrading?

No.........3G sill dream in GSM (non bsnl)

@Genius ,buddy aapne to hamara sapna chaknachur kar diya, atlease i could have sleep well with such a wonderful dream...... :'( :Equivocado:

3G will start with all operators in next 3-4 mnths

since morning it's again working without changing any settings. Strange SMS isn't it?

if it was true

then by just changing parameters 3G wont work

u will also need to change your sim card to 3G sim card

^^ oh is 3G dependent on SIM - never knew that -- :Confuso: :Confuso: because as we shifted from GPRS to EDGE change was not required.

:previous:

BSNL Ka pamplet ya add dekna

upgrade to 3g Sim

if it was true

then by just changing parameters 3G wont work

u will also need to change your sim card to 3G sim card

BSNL is migrating existing 2G users to 3G merely by asking them to send respective messages. So, how does it work? I mean they are using 3G on a 2G sim, right? Could you shed some light into that aspect?

In 3G transmission, voice communication is transmitting in GSM bands (same as 2G) and data (including VGA - 0.3 mega pixel - video while video calling) is transmitted through WCDMA (wideband CDMA, also known as UMTS -Universal Mobile Telecommunications System) band. It surely requires an upgraded sim [technically known as USIM (Universal Subscriber Identity Module), pet name 3G sim] is required. What kepal got from Airtel is not 3G, but may be a upgraded GPRS settings.

^^ Does it imply that those who have a 2G sim and get the so-called 3G settings from BSNL (to migrate from 2G to 3G), cannot make video calls?

Edit - Please ignore this query, since I found out the relevant answer by myself. Thanks for responding, though! :)

Edited by ipkonfig

YOU NEED 3G SIM

EXISTING 2G SIMS PE 3G WONT WORK

Scenario 1: You have 2G sim. You wish to use 3G on your 3G enabled phone.

Remedy: The service provider will send you the relevant settings. You can start using 3G on your 2G sim. However, video calling will be absent in this case.

Scenario 2: You have 3G sim. You wish to use 3G on your 3G enabled phone.

Remedy: Once again, ask for the settings. Since you have a 3G sim, you can use voice + video services. :)

Edited by ipkonfig

Scenario 1: You have 2G sim. You wish to use 3G on your 3G enabled phone.

Remedy: The service provider will send you the relevant settings. You can start using 3G on your 2G sim. However, video calling will be absent in this case.

Hi,

Sorry to say.. Whatever is said above is purely crap.

I have 2G bsnl sim (Tamilnadu). Migrated to 3G just by sending message. I am using the 2G sim in a 3G enabled handset.

I AM ABLE TO DO AND RECEIVE VIDEO CALLS.

So video calling is possible using 2g sim provided ur handset supports video calling (Some recent Nokia handsets support 3g but not video calling facility)

Edited by siva1983in
  • Like 1

^^ No. Perhaps you were using a 3G sim already. Cellular providers nowadays give away 3G capable sims. We just need the appropriate settings to utilize voice and video services. I am speaking about the scenario back when they gave away 8k and 32k sims.

It pays to do some homework on a subject before citing it as "crap"!

Besides, you are unknowingly challenging the opinion of the other experts in this field such as Dr. Mufaddal. Please do read what he has posted in the thread.

Edited by ipkonfig