Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
ami1

Palm Pre - Simple Meta Doctoring On Windows

This is just a rehash of the instructions here (http://www.webos-int...tion:MetaDoctor).

I have just made it simpler in line with my experience in doing it and i have given instructions only for Windows since most people are using that.

1. Install Cygwin: goto cygwin site and download setup.exe and run it (keep internet connected as it will download around 50 mb)

2. Click next next in setup.exe (note where it is being installed - usually c:\cygwin) till you reach the big page where you can select differents packages/apps for install with cygwin

3. On this page click on 'view' in top right corner so that view all/Full is selected/shown

4. We need to install the following packages

Python

Make

Patch

Git

Zip

Unzip

wget

One by one type the above package name in the search box and then identify the package you need (many packages will be shown for each search but we need only the main package) Even if you select a few extra ones it doesn't matter. Click on the first icon against the identified package so that it will get selected to be installed.

5. Once cygwin is installed, you can goto desktop or start menu and run it.

6. Copy the sprint standard ROM for pre or pixie into the folder C:\Cygwin\home\--username--\meta-doctor\downloads

(create the folder "downloads")

(--username-- will be your windows username or whatever cygwin has inside c:\cygwin\home)

ROM file needs to be named: webosdoctorp100ewwsprint-1.4.5.jar (or whatever is the version number, but in above format)

7. Open the file 'Makefile' with WORDPAD OR WRITE (not notepad as it'll clobber the end of lines and show one single line!)

Scroll down to the following section and uncomment the first three lines as below (remove #): You can also uncomment 4th line for preware install (it'll run when you connect data). For other lines use your own judgement or requirement.

Type pre and sprint or pixie and sprint etc. in the last 2 lines shown below as per your device. (by default it will have the text undefined there)

########################################

## START OF AREA FOR END USER CHANGES ##

########################################

# Uncomment the features that you wish to enable below:

BYPASS_ACTIVATION = 1

BYPASS_FIRST_USE_APP = 1

ENABLE_DEVELOPER_MODE = 1

# AUTO_INSTALL_PREWARE = 1

# ENABLE_TESTING_FEEDS = 1

# INSTALL_SSH_AUTH_KEYS = 1

# INSTALL_WIFI_PROFILES = 1

# DISABLE_UPLOAD_DAEMON = 1

# DISABLE_MODEM_UPDATE = 1

# ENABLE_USB_NETWORKING = 1

# REMOVE_CARRIER_CHECK = 1

# REMOVE_MODEL_CHECK = 1

# INCREASE_VAR_SPACE = 1

# CHANGE_KEYBOARD_TYPE = z

# ADD_EXT3FS_PARTITION = 2GB

# Select "pre", "preplus", "pixi" or "pixiplus".

DEVICE = pre

# Select "wr", "sprint", "verizonwireless", "bellmo", "telcel" or "att".

CARRIER = sprint

######################################

## END OF AREA FOR END USER CHANGES ##

######################################

8. Now Run cygwin from icon and You'll get a linux command prompt.

Type

cd meta-doctor

make

9. Wait till above completes and then go into the folder c:\cygwin\home\--username--\meta-doctor\build\--version--\ and copy/move the ROM image to where ever you want and rename it so that you can understand which version/changes etc it has.

10. Switch off your pre, connect usb cable to PC/Laptop, Hold the Volume Up button and then switch it on. It'll show big USB icon. Now double click on the ROM and let it flash the pre as usual.

11. Remember to backup your folders from pre usb drive before above and also you can copy palmdatabase files as mentioned in other topic to backup your contacts/email/sms/logs/etc. YOu can also use prebackup for backup of nearly everything incl bookmarks etc.

Edited by ami1
  • Like 3

@ami1

You are spreading quite a valuable actual user experience gyan!! :signthankspin: Keep it up.

Fear of returning to the same old handset compared to the current smartphone seems to have really inspired you :lol:

Now in what ways does this customised ROM will differ from the bypass treo/chinese ROMS which we find in every Pre/Pixi user in this forum?

If not much, then all our Gurus here can modify the Official Pre/Pixi ROM with indian usage in mind and upload it somewhere for their clients to play around safely with their handsets with the following,

-Data settings not affected.

-Profile Bypass.

-Later on ability to create Palm Profile so you can install free Palm Applications

-Any other danger area which they may be knowing.

Many users & clients will be willing to update to latest ROM but not everyone will play with a live handset due to fear of something going wrong.

Please gurus take this up to enhance your customer's experience.

I will request for Palm Pixi Sprint Latest Customised Indian ROM.

Thanks.

• Like 1

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

^^ Good article Bro +1

If someone wants to use a GUI tool for activation bypass, there's a official tool by Palm here (made for developers who want to develop on devices not activated on any service provider)

You have to run the jar after doctoring your pre and keeping it connected.

I haven't used it since it mentioned that you won't be able to use voice/data services etc etc. But it says one can always doctor again to reset everything. So if anyone is doctoring they can just try it out - it doesn't need linux or cygwin etc and is completely graphical.

^^^ Bhai sahab our Metadoctor is u -

सीधी बात बाकी सब बकवास

but after installing cygwin along with packages i cannot find the makefile, when i tried to search in the install folder there was many files named makefile but nothing has a code like above.. help!

but after installing cygwin along with packages i cannot find the makefile, when i tried to search in the install folder there was many files named makefile but nothing has a code like above.. help!

We need to use the Makefile in the folder "meta-doctor" (since we are running 'make' command in that folder, so it will use the makefile in that folder)

I'll also check on my home PC and tell you in the evening - i don't have this installed on laptop.

Thanks Ami +1 for this

need xxrak rom for palm pre ? caus my Palm Pre Show Offline !! If anyone has plz Upload it on Fourm ...

Have it at home. Will upload somewhere in the evening.

Meantime you can search for it on treo8 site.

Ami our Palm / Linux expert......

Not really Doc ! - my own Pre is offline since 2 months - after i tried to reprogram it.

Tushar has finally managed to get it fixed from some 'real' expert in Delhi.

Am waiting for him to get it registered with Reliance now.

Am stuck with using BB till he sends it to me.

Sorry losergang_jot, I only have various Qinray ROMs. No xxrake.

Now I remember i also tried to search for xxrake a lot when my pre went offline but couldn't find it. The links i found were not downloading.

Tell me if you need qinray ( i have the following: PalmPre_Rom_qinray_1.0.4_v3_source2 and PalmPre_Rom_qinray_1.0.3.treo8)

Most people/gurus i asked on the forum for xxrake said qinray is good to get it online but maybe hitesh/muffy etc may have xxrake somewhere.

Also search treo8 once more

also tried with this roms . after rooting pre show port in device manager and when i m connect set with cdma workshop its says Phone in download . is there any another way to connect set with cdma workshop for change meid or ESn also for read spc ??