Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
rppatil

Samsung Mpower TV S239

We cant play music in the background in even the self proclaimed Muzik series! Also it does not support 3.5mm headset.

Hi. Apple iPhone also does not have a 3.5 mm jack. It has a circular slot too, but is smaller in diameter than a normal 3.5 mm jack. There is a conversion adapter available in market, whose one end is compatible with the iPhone and the other end with the 3.5 mm jack. Using this, we can plug-in any headphone and listen to music from iPhone. What type of slot exists in Samsung for headset/earpiece? Is it similar to the one in iPhone?

The one I was talking about, Mpower Muzik 219 have Samsung's own proprietory earphone and slot. The mid and higher range ones comes with the standard 3.5mm headset and its fitting slot.

We cant play music in the background in even the self proclaimed Muzik series! Also it does not support 3.5mm headset.

Hi. Apple iPhone also does not have a 3.5 mm jack. It has a circular slot too, but is smaller in diameter than a normal 3.5 mm jack. There is a conversion adapter available in market, whose one end is compatible with the iPhone and the other end with the 3.5 mm jack. Using this, we can plug-in any headphone and listen to music from iPhone. What type of slot exists in Samsung for headset/earpiece? Is it similar to the one in iPhone?

The one I was talking about, Mpower Muzik 219 have Samsung's own proprietory earphone and slot. The mid and higher range ones comes with the standard 3.5mm headset and its fitting slot.

Other than SCH-S379, 3.5 mm jack is available in no other mobile. Even the latest models like Duos SCH-W259 & the MPower TV-Phone SCH-S239 haven't got it. So, I posted this question.

Yup it is not available in many. Have it with my latest acquisition - Samsung mPower txt m369 :)

Always CDMA hadsets are of poor quality else cost will be very higher.

CDMA customers doesn't get value for the money in handsets......

Do they provide a CD of PC studio along with the phone? I plan to shift from my Samsung muzik 219 to S239 Mpower.

Yes CD is provided along with Handset.

Always CDMA hadsets are of poor quality else cost will be very higher.

CDMA customers doesn't get value for the money in handsets......

Comparison of CDMA and GSM has always been a debatable topic. Technically, CDMA offers far superior voice clarity and security. Once, a GSM phone was hacked in India. Hacking CDMA phone is next to impossible and none has hacked a CDMA system till date. CDMA is a patented technology : for every CDMA handset, royalty needs to be paid to Qualcomm. Hence, the increased price of a CDMA handset. Yet, new CDMA handsets are flooding the market, with good features and at affordable prices (thanks to LG & the aggressive Samsung). So, I do not feel your statement is completely true.

Edited by digitallogic

Yup it is not available in many. Have it with my latest acquisition - Samsung mPower txt m369 :)

Even my Samsung Metro TV M519 has 3.5mm Audio jack and Background music playback.

But, the pricing of Samsung Mpower TV S239 is unbeatable for it's huge screen.

If i had come across this mobile phone while i was planning to upgrade, i would have chosen this.

Edited by raghugs

Guys,

I am planning to buy this phone (Mpower TV S239) soon. I have a few questions:

1. Some people have observed that only signed apps can be installed on this handset. I guess nokia phones have some security setting for signed apps which can be turned off that allows installation of unsigned apps. have you people tried to find such security setting in your S239? Is it really there or not?
  2. It was said earlier that S239 has same port for charging & data transfer (USB). Does it charges itself when connected to PC as a modem? its actually a helpful feature :)
  3. Linux users, have you tried this phone as modem with linux? please mention the linux flavour/version and the method to connect it.

Thank you all

Nimod

Guys,

I am planning to buy this phone (Mpower TV S239) soon. I have a few questions:

1. Some people have observed that only signed apps can be installed on this handset. I guess nokia phones have some security setting for signed apps which can be turned off that allows installation of unsigned apps. have you people tried to find such security setting in your S239? Is it really there or not?
  2. It was said earlier that S239 has same port for charging & data transfer (USB). Does it charges itself when connected to PC as a modem? its actually a helpful feature :)
  3. Linux users, have you tried this phone as modem with linux? please mention the linux flavour/version and the method to connect it.

Thank you all

Nimod

*I have installed few unsigned apps by copying them on memory card and they are working fine.

*Yes it charges itself when connected to pc.

*Haven't tried yet on linux but I think it will work. Will confirm later.

thanks for your replies rahul_99.

I still need to know if this phone connects well with linux as a modem.

Thank you all.

thanks for your replies rahul_99.

I still need to know if this phone connects well with linux as a modem.

Thank you all.

Yes the phone connects well with linux as a modem. Tested on Debian lenny. Modem was autodetected by Network-Manager.

Let me know if you want more info.

Thanks

Can any one tell me how to install java apps in memory card, it shows the option to install in memory card but always failed to install, and success to install in phone memory?

&

Also i want the video converting properties to play the video in phone?

Thanks.......

Yes the phone connects well with linux as a modem. Tested on Debian lenny. Modem was autodetected by Network-Manager.

Let me know if you want more info.

Thanks

Thanks buddy,

I am sorry for this late reply.

I had an exam today and didn't touch my laptop for past 3 days :)

I had made all my plans for this phone but, someone posted information about a Rev A device here.

I guess i will go check this Huawei phone first. Hope its really OMH.

I visited a local shop which quoted 5200 for this mobile is it a good buy for this price or would it be wise to spend another 1000 or so and buy the Mpowertxt please help me decide

I visited a local shop which quoted 5200 for this mobile is it a good buy for this price or would it be wise to spend another 1000 or so and buy the Mpowertxt please help me decide

i live in delhi, and a shopkeeper was willing to give me this phone for Rs 4800. Find out if you can find a better (than Rs 5200) deal in chennai.

regarding comparison with MPower Txt, check their individual specifications at official site.

With Mpower TV S239 the cam is just 1.3mp which improves to 2mp with Mpower txt M369.

Internal memory from 85MB to 104MB

The screen size from 2.2 to 2.4

Both got the hyped Mobile Tv application by Apalya, as is the case with EVDO Rev.0 connectivity.

Having a QWERTY keypad is advisable for frequent texters.

In my opinion, at 1000 bucks extra, Mpower txt M369 is a worthy upgrade.

Hello Everybody

What are the downsides of Samsung MPower TV when comparing to Metro TV?

I was able to observe following negative points about this mobile phone.

• Inferior Camera
  • Media player won't play in Background
  • Some java applications may not work

Is the keypad backlit available for Menu buttons??

Is Keypad inferior to Metro TV? (It is already bad in Metro TV)

Are they any more negative points about the mobile phone when comparing to Metro TV?

Hi Raghu...

You say the keypad is bad in Metro. May I know in which way? I haven't tried this kepad.

I checked the dummy of MPower model. The keypad is hard. The keys are small so I guess its a struggle to type smses..:(

The keys in Samsung Metro TV is small and are not individually laid, so it is little difficult.

But may not be as hard as Mpower TV.

Hi guys

Using Samsung Mpower TV 239 for the past one month ever since ported to CDMA from GSM. I needed a basic phone with following requirements:

1) Bar type

2) Good battery life

3) Good phone memory for contacts

Fortunately, this phone meets all my expectations. I am a heavy user as far as making calls is concerned and this phone's battery lasts almost two full days (even after keeping it on during night). The phone also has a contacts memory of 2000 which is sufficient for me. I tried downloading Opera Mini and it gave me good response to Facebook and Twitter. Now I am trying Snaptu. I wish to try mobile TV and will get EVDO activated on my number soon. I have a small problem with this phone. I have configured Gmail on it but when I try to download my mail,

1) it starts downloading the oldest mail first

2) it gets rebooted every time after downloading a few mail.

Apart from this, there are no issues. The phone is really sleek and cute, the call quality and network has no issues. The keypad is a bit problem as it is quite hard. One shortcoming which I see in this phone after using Nokia for years, is that if you receive a call from a number which is not in your contacts list and you wish to add it to some person already in your contact list, you can't do it. You either create another contact profile for the person or you have to edit the person's profile in your phone and key in the number.

I purchased this phone on 16/4/2011 for Rs.4900 from QRS,Trivandrum after analyzing the user experiences mentioned in this forum. Good CDMA handset but not the best one as compared to GSM phones at this price range.

Pros:

1. CDMA EVDO connectivity is very good. Peak speed attained while testing is 1.5 - 2 Mbps with Reliance EVDO enabled OMH sim card.
  2. OS of the phone is quick responding.
  3. Display is so large which attracts everyones attention easily.
  4. Design is good and stylish.
  5. Camera is good but it can be 2 MP for this price range.
  6. Voice clarity and network reception is good.
  7. Phonebook and sms storage capacity is very good. Additionally sms can be saved in memory card, so virtually unlimited sms storage.

Cons:

1. Keypad is not good for heavy sms users.
  2. Music player doesn't have background play option.
  3. Video playback and recording is available only at resolution of 176 x 144 which is very poor comparing to display size so pixelization is visible while playing videos.
  4. Mobile TV option is waste because of poor video playback resolution.
  5. FM reception quality is poor.

Edited by sankar89

Hey needed a good silicone case of Samsung Mpower S239....

Can anybody plz give me any link... or can courier me.... whatever may be the charges ready to pay it............

And also needed sites from where i can download themes...