Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
rajanmehta

Mobile Phone Sales At An All Time High

Source: Techtree News Staff, Sep 29, 2010 1320 hrs IST

It's a known fact that India is one of the fastest going mobile phone markets in the world. The growth in the sales of mobile handsets too has been consistent over the past few yeas and has reached an all time high in the last quarter.

According to advisory firm IDC, 38.63 million mobile handsets were sold during the period of April-June 2010. This is a growth of over 6.3 percent quarter on quarter.

As expected, most of India's sales come from low-end, high volume handsets. While Nokia and Samsung still hold on to the No.1 and No.2 positions, according the report, Chinese manufacturer G'Five is at number 3 - garnering 7.3 percent of the market share. Nokia and Samsung hold 36.3 percent and 8.2 percent respectively. Micromax Mobiles and Spice Mobiles are at the 4th and the 5th spot respectively. What has come as a surprise to us is the growth of small players like G'Five and who are now right at the heels of far bigger players like Samsung and Nokia. Other erstwhile biggies like Motorola, LG and Sony Ericsson, who used to prominently feature in the top five list of the yesteryears, are no longer up there.

The report also adds that multi SIM handsets are getting popular by the day in India. In fact, sales of dual SIM handsets have increased from accounting for less than 1 percent in 2009 to garnering over 38.5 percent in a span of just one year!

We wonder what took Nokia so long to introduce its dual SIM handsets in India. They are obviously late to the party with arch rival Samsung already having a plethora of dual SIM options. Going by the rate at which these small players are advancing, who knows if you see Micromax, G'Five or Spice ending up as the top phone makers in the country in the years to come.

Wow this is interesting :) I was under the impression that the order is Nokia - Samsung - Micromax.

g-five has made a good presence in low range . high volume - less prices - copy cat seems to be their mantra

This is interesting... Didn't even think og G'Five being the 3rd highest grosser in sales... :Equivocado: My accountant has it, and I hate the handset..

About 40% of the sales is dual/multi SIM... WoW! Didn't expect that.

g-five has made a good presence in low range . high volume - less prices - copy cat seems to be their mantra

Exactly, my friend... G'Five has a model called E71, which looks 100% same (battery cover, size, camera compartment, keys layout, audio port, volume keys, SD+USB flap-cover, D-PAD, Dots on back metal-cover, I MEAN EVERY-EVERY-THING) as E71.. Even the Nokia's original BP-4L sits as comfortably in battery compartment.. But the cost of the handset is just Rs2500 :Ohhhh: .. Seems they somehow got the die-cast thrown as worn-out from NOKIA factories and they use for their products...

If NOKIA didn't launch some good mid-end DualSIM (G+G and C+G ALSO) + DualStandby handsets (atleast at par with c3, E52, 3120c), they may even lose to G'Five, imho.. I have never dreamt that these rebranded chinese $hit phone manufactures are about to overtake SAMSUNG (who is NOT AT ALL hesitating to launch new products for all segments incl C+G handsets) now..

Edited by KanagaDeepan

I too was very surprised to find G Five at 3rd spot.

But this establishes the fact once again that India is a unique market and value for money is the overriding mantra for millions of people. However hard the marketing machines of multinationals try to extract price premiums for their similar products, people are loathe to pay the same if they are going to get the same or even better features at a lower price point.

Edited by rajanmehta

look other way around. the majority of Indian population is in lower income group. this people cannot afford handset worth 3000/- and such situation, cheap chinese mobiles and indian handset prevail. we argue for quality, but what if you cant afford.

there is also other class of people who can afford, want quality but never want to pay.

take an example for an AC. why samsung/LG with 2-3 star rating are sold like hot cake. even though they consume more electricity, people prefer them as they cost more. if you buy a 5* rated ac, you will cover the cost within a year depending on use.

report is untrue.

Trying to show Gfive's postion as hyped

Gfive has actually tageted the low end consumers with damn cheap phone & have won the race