Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ani_meher

Table Fans

This may come across one of the stupidest thread! I am planning to buy a table/tower fan for my kitchen, because there is no fan there, and it gets damn hot. But this will be the first fan ever bought by me! So advise needed by friends on following:

1. Which is better? Table/wall mount/tower fan?

2. Which company? Is Bionaire any good for tower fan? Even Usha makes tower fans.

3. I like the tower design because it takes very less space, and can be stored easily. Also it is easy on the eyes. Any drawbacks?

4. How much money should I be spending for getting a good lasting quite fan?

^^Anil

Yes you got it all right Correct

1) Tower

2) Cinni

3) Yes you can move it - LOL

4) Quoted money + any party you wanna throw for this advice

Hey Genius, you can consider my other money saving thread as party from my side to RIMWEB friends :) happy savings!

Is it not possible to put a ceiling fan in your kitchen?

Tower and Pedestal will be a nuisance in kitchen where constant movements are there.

Hope you have consulted Home Minister first otherwise be ready for some tough words later on when this thing will come in her way :rofl_200:

I stay in a rented house, that's why can't pop in a fan in ceiling. Besides, tower/table fan is portable, so I can take it with me. In Pune, usually fans are needed only 4 months a year, rest of the times it is cool enough. But when they are needed, they are needed badly!

Dear friend ani_meher, tower fan has only low air flow strength, it is intended to use in a air conditioned room as a personal fan and kept near to the person. It is a low noise fan and low wattage (=power consumption), and have some fancy looks, price is higher. Usually this fan is used only in shops and offices. You can see a cashier in a shop keeping tower fan in his table. Some models coming with remote control. You can buy a tower fan only if intended to use by a single person, also standing/sitting near to the fan.

If you have enough space in kitchen you can use a pedestal fan. Pedestal fans are two types (1) low speed (2) high speed. High speed pedestal fan is intended to use in show rooms and big shops. It has very high air flow strength, one fan kept in a corner of show room will cover almost all area of the show room. Pedestal fan used in home is low speed type. You can easily identify a low speed and high speed fan by looking its blades (leaves). The shape of the blade tells its speed. If the blades are broad it is a low speed fan and if the blades are narrow it is high speed fan, please see the pictures for example. Some times the shape of the blades are sickle shaped in high speed fan. The revolution per minute (RPM) of low speed fan is 1440 and high speed fan is 2800. Air flow strength, sound, vibration, wattage and price is high in high speed fan. Again low speed pedestal fan is divided in to two (1) Metallic body (2) Plastic body. Plastic body is the best for home use - light weight, portable, shock proof, rust proof, low price etc.

If you have no space in kitchen you can go for a wall fan. Which is also two types same as pedestal fans that is low speed and high speed. Only difference between pedestal fan and wall fan is wall fan has no stand, required to mount the 'motor-blade-control panel assembly'(that is the upper part of pedestal fan) in wall. In other words the wall fan and upper part of pedestal fan are the same. To fix a wall fan all you have to do is put a nail or screw in the wall (caution- have sufficient strength to support the weight of the fan and its vibration) and hang the fan in the nail, like fitting a clock in the wall. Other things to remember is put the nail in a position that fan will give air flow in the required direction and a power socket is near to reach the length of the fan's power chord.

Different types of table fans are available in the market. But it requires a stool or table or like furniture to use. So it sacrifices the use of a furniture. Its price is less than pedestal fan. Buy a table fan only if you have a non using table or stool and also you have sufficient space in the kitchen to keep this table/stool.

Ceiling fan can not use in kitchen because the airflow of ceiling fan is multi directional. Multi directional air flow will extinguish the flame of the stove. Even if you are using a flmeless furnace like induction cooker, ceiling fan will throw the fumes, steam and odour of chilli/masala etc in to your (=cooking person's) face. Also the utensils will not heat up as cold air is flowing to the direction of heating vessel and removes the hot air and heat from the flame. Will cause the wastage of fuel, loss of time and the sufferings. So it is foolish to put a ceiling fan in kitchen. Use only unidirectional air flow fans like pedestal/table/wall/tower fans in such a direction that the air flow will not touch the flame area.

"almonard" is the leader in pedestal fans, but most of the models they have are high speed type (http://www.almonard.co.in/). "crompton greaves" is the leader in ceiling fans, their pedestal/wall fans are good quality.(http://www.cglonline.com/cg/avs/home/fans/portable/pedestal/fan-pl/fans-tropic/) "orpat" is another company with very cute looking pedestal fans (http://www.ajantaworld.com/F41018/orpat_home_appliances_and_telephones.html)

The price of pedestal fan/tower fan is Rs. 1,500 - 5,000

Table / wall fan is Rs. 750 - 2,000

I think you can take the correct decision by reading my reply

post-60936-085231600 1286295260_thumb.gi

post-60936-092887700 1286295281_thumb.jp

Edited by KAPILKDEV
  • Like 1

Hope you have consulted Home Minister first otherwise be ready for some tough words later on when this thing will come in her way

@rajanmehta, not home minister it is "ministress in home" :Contento:

@ani_meher, sorry ani_meher it is only for joke. :winko:

Ceiling fan in better option,

It is not problem for Moving is less compact than tower fan. After removing wing of fan it is compact than tower fan.

Dear friend ani_meher, tower fan has only low air flow strength, it is intended to use in a air conditioned room as a personal fan and kept near to the person. It is a low noise fan and low wattage (=power consumption), and have some fancy looks, price is higher. Usually this fan is used only in shops and offices. You can see a cashier in a shop keeping tower fan in his table. Some models coming with remote control. You can buy a tower fan only if intended to use by a single person, also standing/sitting near to the fan.

If you have enough space in kitchen you can use a pedestal fan. Pedestal fans are two types (1) low speed (2) high speed. High speed pedestal fan is intended to use in show rooms and big shops. It has very high air flow strength, one fan kept in a corner of show room will cover almost all area of the show room. Pedestal fan used in home is low speed type. You can easily identify a low speed and high speed fan by looking its blades (leaves). The shape of the blade tells its speed. If the blades are broad it is a low speed fan and if the blades are narrow it is high speed fan, please see the pictures for example. Some times the shape of the blades are sickle shaped in high speed fan. The revolution per minute (RPM) of low speed fan is 1440 and high speed fan is 2800. Air flow strength, sound, vibration, wattage and price is high in high speed fan. Again low speed pedestal fan is divided in to two (1) Metallic body (2) Plastic body. Plastic body is the best for home use - light weight, portable, shock proof, rust proof, low price etc.

If you have no space in kitchen you can go for a wall fan. Which is also two types same as pedestal fans that is low speed and high speed. Only difference between pedestal fan and wall fan is wall fan has no stand, required to mount the 'motor-blade-control panel assembly'(that is the upper part of pedestal fan) in wall. In other words the wall fan and upper part of pedestal fan are the same. To fix a wall fan all you have to do is put a nail or screw in the wall (caution- have sufficient strength to support the weight of the fan and its vibration) and hang the fan in the nail, like fitting a clock in the wall. Other things to remember is put the nail in a position that fan will give air flow in the required direction and a power socket is near to reach the length of the fan's power chord.

Different types of table fans are available in the market. But it requires a stool or table or like furniture to use. So it sacrifices the use of a furniture. Its price is less than pedestal fan. Buy a table fan only if you have a non using table or stool and also you have sufficient space in the kitchen to keep this table/stool.

Ceiling fan can not use in kitchen because the airflow of ceiling fan is multi directional. Multi directional air flow will extinguish the flame of the stove. Even if you are using a flmeless furnace like induction cooker, ceiling fan will throw the fumes, steam and odour of chilli/masala etc in to your (=cooking person's) face. Also the utensils will not heat up as cold air is flowing to the direction of heating vessel and removes the hot air and heat from the flame. Will cause the wastage of fuel, loss of time and the sufferings. So it is foolish to put a ceiling fan in kitchen. Use only unidirectional air flow fans like pedestal/table/wall/tower fans in such a direction that the air flow will not touch the flame area.

"almonard" is the leader in pedestal fans, but most of the models they have are high speed type (http://www.almonard.co.in/). "crompton greaves" is the leader in ceiling fans, their pedestal/wall fans are good quality.(http://www.cglonline...pl/fans-tropic/) "orpat" is another company with very cute looking pedestal fans (http://www.ajantawor...telephones.html)

The price of pedestal fan/tower fan is Rs. 1,500 - 5,000

Table / wall fan is Rs. 750 - 2,000

Wow!!! Wow!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

What a fantastic reply Kapil. Comprehensive, Simple, Containing everything.

If every member at RIMWEB shares his/her knowledge in respective fields like Kapil, We all will be a very happy lot!!

+1 to You.

Thanks for your suggestions guys!

Dear friend ani_meher, ...

Thanks for the superb reply! I really appreciate the time taken to answer the query :)

@ani_meher, sorry ani_meher it is only for joke. :winko:

I know bro. It's no problem.

All in all, I think my choice is now reduced to wall fan or tower fan. I am still keeping the tower fan option open, because I read on a site that there are two types of tower fans, the smaller ones work as you describe. The taller ones are sufficient for a whole room. But wall fans are now certainly on my list.

Any idea as to what company I should stick to? Above mentioned Cinni, doesn't operate in Pune. How are Usha, Bajaj, CG etc?

Also, there are these two fans by Usha:

tower_fan.jpg

Rs. 1995

other_dynamo.jpg

Rs. 1350

Extra powerful motor for higher air delivery

Powder coated steel parts with anti-corrosive treatment for longer life

Can be used as a table fan, a wall mounted fan or a ceiling mounted fan

U can go for Cabin Fan as it wud be more convenient...........

And Bcoz of table fan there may be some also at it would be near stove............

There are many options in cabin fan nowadays

From your mentioned brands (cinni, Usha, Bajaj, CG) Crompton greaves is the best in quality. Identify the Crompton greaves symbol, it is 'G' left half of G is coloured blue and right half green- please see the image. There is a fraud company named as "Chennai Group", which makes fans in the name "CG fans" and symbol is "CG". Don't make mistake with Crompton greaves's symbol.

Tower fan has low noise and low vibration and cute looks. I don't know the air flow strength of the tower fan you given in the image, usually tower fans and box fans are low strength air flow type. Before buying this model check the air flow strength and if seems sufficient buy it.

The second fan in your image is a multipurpose fan, can be used as a table fan, or wall fan or ceiling fan (in low height room, where the ceiling fan blade will hit the hand if raised, this multipurpose fan can be used safely as its blades are covered in wire cage and nothing will happen if hand touched the fan). The shape of the blades says that it is a high speed fan that is 2800 RPM. It has high air flow, high noise, high vibration. I think it will give very high air flow than you required in your kitchen. In other words you will feel the air flow like a storm. This type of models usually come with single speed that is without a speed regulator. Speed can be regulated with an external speed regulator same like the ceiling fans. It can be rotated and tilted to any angle. It has no self oscillation, fixed to a particular direction only. I think than selecting the second fan, consider a low speed multipurpose fan (see the image), it will give you the required air flow, no need to fix an external regulator, sound and vibration will not disturb you and low price.

post-60936-055010500 1286345650_thumb.jp

post-60936-006784600 1286347403_thumb.jp

Here is an update. 2 days ago, I had a function at Mumbai house and needed fan on short notice. I tried searching CINNI fans, but unfortunately it was not available. So I bought Usha Magic Air fan. Surprisingly, it is not mentioned on the Usha website! But the fan is good. The RPM was 1400. There were other fans available having RPMs of 2800. But this was the only fan having metal blades. I saw the replicas of CINNI, and really liked the minimalistic designs.

After reading online reviews, it seems Crompton Greeves, Khaitan fans have bit quality issues, but Usha had none. So that's it. Thanks for the very informative replies friends :) I am sure many people will find it helpful.