Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kesav

Internet Explorer Market Share Dips Below 50 Per Cent

Internet Explorer market share dips below 50 per cent

Microsoft's share of the browser market has dipped below 50 per cent for the first time, according to the latest figures from StatCounter Microsoft’s Internet Explorer now has a 49.87 per cent share of the global browser market, the first time it has fallen below 50 per cent.

Although Microsoft’s browser remains the dominant browsing platform, rivals such as Google and Mozilla are snapping at it heels.

According to the latest figures from StatCounter, Mozilla’s Firefox web browser enjoys a 31.5 per cent market share, while Google’s Chrome browser accounts for 11.54 per cent of the market, up from 3.69 per cent in September last year.

“This is certainly a milestone in the internet browser wars,” said Aodhan Cullen, chief executive of StatCounter. “Just two years ago, Internet Explorer dominated the worldwide market with 67 per cent.”

The decline of Internet Explorer in Europe – where Microsoft’s browser now accounts for 40.26 per cent of the market, compared to 46.44 per cent last year – could be due in part to the browser “ballot box” Microsoft is compelled to offer computer users in the wake of a European Commission ruling.

The Commission order Microsoft to roll out the ballot box after deciding that the company’s practice of pre-installing Internet Explorer on Windows machines could be viewed as anti-competitive.

The ballot allows computer users to choose from a list of 12 web browsers, and is pre-installed on new computers running Microsoft's Windows 7 operating system, and is pushed to computers running Vista or Windows XP via a software update.

Microsoft is bound to observe the Commission's ruling for the next five years. The ballot system is available in all EU member countries.

source :: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/internet/8045872/Internet-Explorer-market-share-dips-below-50-per-cent.html

I'm just wondering why CCI(Competition Commission of India) cannot replicate what EU(Europen Union) commission has done.

Why can't CCI bring ballot box to India?...After all we say we're the largest democracy of the world...

:confuse::confuse::confuse:

Chrome simply rocks with speed, stability and ease of use. Good going :D

I had stop using IE from 6.0 version, nearly 3-4 year back

How about Opera...!!!!!!!!!!!??????????

I am using Opera

Why should they offer a ballot? Next they would want a choice in media players and so on. Linux distros come with pre installed firefox.

I have tried Internet Explorer 9 Beta. It uses your graphic hardware to render pages and is quite snappy. But by the time Microsoft comes out with Release Version, Firefox and Chrome will be again miles ahead of Internet Explorer.

Firefox rocks always..

IE always copies Firefox (starting from tabbed browsing). I'm a Firefox fan.

But recently Firefox is crashing sometimes, I don't know why. And some payment gateways have problems with Firefox (applets don't open) and some houses still consider IE as the standard browser and design their sites for IE only. Bitstream vernacular fonts don't get generated on Firefox.

Firefox rocks always..

But recently Firefox is crashing sometimes, I don't know why. And some payment gateways have problems with Firefox (applets don't open) and some houses still consider IE as the standard browser and design their sites for IE only. Bitstream vernacular fonts don't get generated on Firefox.

To the best of my memory, opera started tabbed browsing, In that sense firefox has also copied.

Firefox rocks always..

To the best of my memory, opera started tabbed browsing, In that sense firefox has also copied.

Both me and Tanveer are wrong, check it here.

Netcaptor was pioneer in tabbed browing (1997). Firefox was first to copy (September 2001) and then Opera (December 2001). Apple did it in 2003 and IE in 2005!

Netcaptor was pioneer in tabbed browing (1997). Firefox was first to copy (September 2001) and then Opera (December 2001). Apple did it in 2003 and IE in 2005!

I think, everyone learns from competitors. Nothing wrong with that...

If you look at firefox 4 beta, they have google chrome style tabs...

500x_firefox4_b2.jpg

I'm just wondering why CCI(Competition Commission of India) cannot replicate what EU(Europen Union) commission has done.

Why can't CCI bring ballot box to India?...After all we say we're the largest democracy of the world...

:confuse::confuse::confuse:

Its going to be quite sometime till India and Indians become aware of such things and start giving them any importance.

Something similar to the privacy issues discussed earlier... GirandoOjos.gif

as w3 school, IE shared is below 50% since Sept 2009.

check details

many developers across the world rely on w3 to determine browser usage.

i migrated to FF from IE since FF 2. i also used opera for some time may be 3 months or so and then back to FF.

but now i am using chrome 6 beta and loving it..

CCI cnat do anything. the problem is that most indian govt. tender sites simply support IE only. reason, ie version is 6,7 or 8. while other are still having 3 or 4 or so.. to my surprise, in many cases, TCS has provided them e tendering services.

Edited by csmart

Unlike Firefox, of which I am wary of in this regard, Chrome isolates tabs into separate processes so if one tab crashes, your browser still stays up :)

You can install and start using Chrome extensions without restarting your browser!! But at the end of the day, Firefox still is the king of extensions.

I use IE 8, IE 9beta, FF and Chrome. My experience with these are FF is the best, IE 9 although it claims to be the fastest, is actually the slowest. Chrome is good but my Dena Bank pages do not open. IE 8 is OK OK...

We still need IE for viewing banking and other govt. websites as they are tweaked that way.

^

I second that, same is the case with PNB!

We still need IE for viewing banking and other govt. websites as they are tweaked that way.

These are the only few sites for which IE will thrive for now. It is the handicap of the web-designers who design the sites for IE only. In that way they violate the designing protocol. A page should not be browser or device dependent.

And there are people who don't want to explore better browsers leaving behind IE, that's why there is still a considerable market share for it.

Most banks have fixed their websites to work with safari atleast. Probably with pressure from Mac users.

These are the only few sites for which IE will thrive for now. It is the handicap of the web-designers who design the sites for IE only. In that way they violate the designing protocol. A page should not be browser or device dependent.

And there are people who don't want to explore better browsers leaving behind IE, that's why there is still a considerable market share for it.

Such sites are now optimized for firefox too.

^^^

I think all sites are not yet optimized. For example the payment gateways don't initiate process in FF. And many vernacular sites produce garbage when opened in FF or any other browser (they are designed for IE only).

^^^

I think all sites are not yet optimized. For example the payment gateways don't initiate process in FF. And many vernacular sites produce garbage when opened in FF or any other browser (they are designed for IE only).

That's right. 3D secure gateway fails on FF (at least on FF4 Beta6 that I use.)

it may be some other issue. i used to make payment thru citibank and other bank credit cards on FF without any problem. the problem with few bankers and govt. tender sites. they simply do now want to support any other browser but IE. and in most cases, TCS is culprit. they handle the back end for these banks and govt. institutions.