Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
ravi_patent

Laptop Buying Advice

Dear friends

i need your valuable advice regarding a laptop toshiba satelite c650 m5010 (https://www.toshiba-india.com/laptop/satellite-c650D.html#prod).my budget is below 25k and am i not a gamer.

basic web access and ocaasional movie playing are my needs . the model i have choosen is a non os one and costs 21750.

what os i can install(ubuntu or boss or win 7?) ..will the availability of drivers an issue..

i belive that this lappy will be chrome os compatible too .

have you heard about any issues reg this model ..

Thanks in advance

Edited by ravi_patent
  • Like 1

Dear friends

i need your valuable advice regarding a laptop (https://www.toshiba-india.com/laptop/satellite-c650D.html#prod).my budget is below 25k and am i not a gamer.

basic web access and ocaasional movie playing are my needs . the model i have choosen is a non os one and costs 21750.

what os i can install(ubuntu or boss or win 7?) ..will the availability of drivers an issue..

i belive that this lappy will be chrome os compatible too .

have you heard about any issues reg this model ..

Thanks in advance

Sirji,

From where are you getting this kind of rate.

Even i want one.

Deepak

The laptop you have chosen is a perfect one based on your requirements. This model has only Windows 7 Drivers available from Toshiba and not XP. So if you intend to install XP, there will be issues. You may get generic drivers for various devices from manufacturers for XP but still you may not get all the drivers.

Chrome OS is not yet released. However it is not meant as a full fledged OS for Laptops and Desktops but targetted at Netbooks and other devices where people will use it mainly for web browsing, web based applications etc. There is no concept of local windows software installation in Chrome OS. One cannot say whether it will support your laptop's hardware as and when it is released.

Ubuntu you can always install and new version of Ubuntu is releasing on 10th October 2010.

I have not come across any issues for this laptop. Moreover Toshiba's products are of a certain standard and as far as quality is concerned i will put it above Acer, Dell and HP.

• Like 2

I am also seriously getting interested for this model (seeing its price) for my kids; I saw its adv in paper today, I was going for a Dell Mini one, but this seems much more lucrative... I will use it with Win7 that i have got...

@Ravi - let me know if we can strike a bulk deal for better pricing...

@rajan - all xp drivers are available on toshiba's site - https://www.toshiba-india.com/laptop/DriversDetails.aspx?product=Notebook%20Computer&series=Satellite&model=C650&cat=0&os=0

Edited by dkaile

@Dkaile

The link which you are mentioning is C650 series which are all Intel Models and for which Windows XP Drivers are available. Just click on C650 series and it will show all intel models.

This particular one is C650D (The same which is loading when you click Ravi's original link. See in the address bar of browser, it mentions C650D) which is AMD and for which only Windows 7 Drivers are mentioned on Toshiba.

thanks to one and all for the advice

i have bought yday itself (immediately after rajan's valuable advice confirmed my instincts bcoz i was getting the pre tax rate of 21750 with bill from toshiba exclusive showroom..i was told that this rate is only valid for 1 day!)..any how i am going to the shop today evening and get back to you on any possible bulk pricing

Edited by ravi_patent

@Ravi. You just got a fantastic deal!! Owe a party to me mate :Contento: Happy for you.

Now if you can put 2 GB more RAM from the money saved from your original budget of 25K, Install Win 7 and this will Rock. Performance gain from additional 2 GB Ram will be worth it. 2 GB DDR 2 Laptop RAM will cost you approx. Rs. 2300.

Its available for 22850/- net all inclusive after taxes at Meerut and not less then that... it has case and mouse free; headphones and bluetooth dongle thrown in free from the dealer.... btw this does not have inbuilt bluetooth, but still seems a good deal;

as far as actual build quality goes, maybe ravi can comment better whether it is worth the price, as he is actually using it...

@rajan - I think u r right as xp drivers are not available for this particular model...

@dkaile

lat 2 days were too hectic to have a feel of the lappy .moreover this is first one..so i will need time to give feedback..

@rajan mehata

ygpm

Dear friends

after buying lappy , i was offerd a tata photon plus postpaid with 3 months commitmnet for 1100/- upfront device cost..will this be usefull to any of you..if so i will enquire further in this regard

I have finally been able to get the price fixed at 22500/- all inclusive with case, mouse and original bluetooth dongle (yes, its supplied directly by toshiba). The Tata Photon Offer is also officially listed on Toshiba's site along with all their notebooks and is available to all. I hopefully will be buying it for a friend first by tomorrow and then think about one for my kids if I like it. Will then post a detailed review...

@dkaile : Why are you paying Rs 750 extra? The official price for the stuff you listed is 21750, except for that bluetooth dongle. You will get one from outside for 50-100 rs.

@ani_meher

The ad you posted mentions in the last line in small letters, "Taxes and Octroi Extra". So this Rs. 750/- will be for taxes.

Anyway i liked your quote, "For people envying ravi:" :Contento::Contento:

Edited by rajanmehta

Finally went to Toshiba Showroom; really liked the fit and build quality of the demo piece of this C650D model; Cool Carbon grazed finish; I would say EXCELLENT VALUE for your money; Placed order of 2 pieces @22,250/= inclusive of all taxes (1 for my kids and 1 for a friend who too thought it was a steal at this price); will have it in hand on Monday (as roads closed due to commonwealth games closing ceremony)....

Edited by dkaile

Just received the 2 laptops yesterday and I must say I am greatly surprised how Toshiba is giving such a good laptop at this price. It is comparable to My Dell Studio 15 in screen clarity which I must add is more than double the price of this one... I have loaded Windows 7 Ultimate on it and it is rocking like hell...

What I liked -

- Textured Black Finish

- Great Keyboard with separate Numeric keypad (missing in my Dell Studio)

- Great 15.4" widescreen; superb clarity

- Aero works superbly with AMD's patented in built graphics

- No lacking in speed; 2 GB ram suffices and 250GB sata is also without complaints

- Dual core AMD has come as a surprise in performance; donno why people are blindly for Intel

What I didnt like -

- Speakers are a bit tinny in quality

- No HDMI port (but most wont need it), no esata, only 10/100 lan (no gigabit),

- Only 2 USB ports

Overall, I must say that if anyone's looking for a full powered budget laptop, you just cant go wrong with this Toshiba... 5 Star rating with 2 Thumbs up....

PS- I have also recently loaded Ubuntu Netbook version on my Acer Aspire One recently - http://www.ubuntu.com/netbook - It is working just great and suffices all needs of surfing, music, divx playback, open office (inbuilt) etc.

For This notebook or your desktop, do give the Ubuntu Desktop version a try - http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop - Great interface and does everything now...

Edited by dkaile

Dear dhiraj

thanks for the insightfull review.

this being my first lappy i am not aware of the intricate stuff you were pointing out

@Dkaile

Try the following in Windows 7 for improved audio level.

1. Go to Control Panel, Open Sounds, Select Playback, Speakers, Properties, Enhancements Tab and enable Loudness Equalization option.

2. In speaker properties, advanced select the default format as 16 bit, 48000 Hz(DVD Quality)

Additionally download DFX Audio Enhancer, find a c***k for trial version to full version and see the sound even better after above in Windows Media Player. This has always worked.

• Like 2

^

Thanks Rajan... This works... though i didnt like dfx; its quite enhanced even without it...

@dk at price it seems really good deal.. man for 22k what else you can get and that too toshiba. toshiba is not well trusted brand in India, but u know in US, its considered as one the rugged laptop.

This toshiba lappy with LED screen

^

Yes, it comes with a 15.6" LED Backlit (16:9) 1366x768 Trubrite HD screen