Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
swaroop

All About Nokia 6255

Actually Chirag (and much to my surprise too) VB is right!!!

http://www.forbes.com/2003/05/15/cx_ah_0515txn.html

http://www.mobile.seitti.com/story.php?story_id=2708

http://www.business2.com/b2/web/articles/0...,533479,00.html

http://press.nokia.com/PR/200303/894975_5.html

----------------------------

Actualy (and I'm guessing here), since Qualcomm didn't "invent" CDMA technology, its been around since the 1930's or so and used to fire torpedos from subs, they probably dont have too many patents to cover it themselves!

And there is an international body that regulates the CDMA standards so Qualcomm loses out there too. But they do have a stranglehold on the chipset market. I think Samsung & LG (at least all the models in India) uses Qualcomm chips! Maybe even Motorola!

but interesting fact is, though nokia uses its own chipset, as mentioned every where, it still uses Qualcomm propeerietory AT command, especially AT$ ones

ok.. now i went to the WW near my house right now and they said the phone is available for 12621. I wonder why the WWE was quoting 15+ yesterday(as i mentoned earlier). This guy told me that the rate might be different everywhere and also said that "abhi ek ghunte mein rate 400rs bhudh gaya hai", thats wierd. Weren't rates in WWE always cheaper than WW? I guess they were selling it for 12221 earlier. He said that we got the phones yesterday (7-8 pieces) which are sold out. Unfortunately they had got the green bottlegreen one only. He had a dummy also. I was more interested in the black one which they weren't aware about.

Now for the good news. The advertisment ( a printout on an a4 sheet) which they had made clearly stated "Rworld compatible and mms ready". I guess they mean that like the kyocera, we can use rworld on the wap browser. But since they didn't have a working piece which they never have, i cant comment on that. Also, i think we get a 32mb card with it.

Hi

Can any1 tell me whether the mp3/aac player in this phone is stereo or mono? :help: I visited many websites regarding its features, including the official website, but nowhere I can find this. :(

Just now I called up the CC, they had no clue about the phone. :wacko: Can anyone tell me what's the price in Delhi? :help:

NetSavvy :P

Edited by NetSavvy

hey ppl, jus had first hand experience wid the phone.(well jus for 5-6mins and then battery went off)

first thing i noticed was the weight. alot heavier than my 6000.

screen was looking gud and the menu looked like my cousin's 7600 (yes, the odd shaped one) but i was seriously amazed by size and placement of the menu button, too small and b/w big 4 buttons.

i swiched on the camera, the screen refresh rate was very high, then swiched on the video camera. the video wasn't quite wat i expected , quite blurred mayb coz the protective cover wasn't removed.

also the designed din't appeal me much, too simple.

i switched on the radio the sound quality was absolutely gr8, also i noticed tat radio can be played with the loudspeaker also.

i couldn't figure out how to change the volume of loud speaker but till wat i heard it was nice too. the odd thing was that loudspear was placed rite above the battery where my figers kept covering it again and again.

but the most exciting thing was when i saw the r-world icon. but this was the most dissapointing thing also coz as soon as the r-world logo came the battery went off. but the guy assured me that r-world is fully functional.

also din't get the chance to use the bluetooth but im sure it'll work jus fine.

the guy told me that only the blue one is coming rite now.

when i asked the price he told me that its around 15000 mrp.

i said wtf?**** i called nokia care and gave the phone to him. on hearing that price was 12999/- he called up some higher auth. guy who confirmed that price was 12999/- + 4% service charge. which comes to 13520/-

dis is nough for now. ill keep u guyz updated

@net savvy - there was a media player present to play mp3 n acc. not sure bout stereo or mono though

Edited by gids

Hi Guys

I again called up the CC and guess what, they have all the info about the phone. It supports mp3 ringtones, so no more disappointment over 16-chord polyphonic ringtones. It has fully functional R-World (first Nokia CDMA to have it). It has a digital music player which supports mp3 and aac formats. A 32MB MMC comes bundled with the set. The memory can be extended upto 512MB.They don't have any info about camera (frame rate, mega pixels etc.). If any one finds more info, please put it up here.

Thanks

NetSavvy

basically nokia quotes the max memory suported as 64mb. but that is only because that is the max card they provide. However, even if u put a 2gb card, it will work.

Physical Overview

The Nokia 6255 has slightly more straight edges and right angles than most clamshell phone bodies. Even the base of the eternal antenna is squared-off to add to the effect. The visual impression is a good one and the dark grey section on the top panel contrasts with the light grey of the lower section to give the phone a smart appearance.

When closed, the 6255 measures a compact 47 x 85 x 26mm, with a 24mm extendible antenna. On the outside of the lid there’s a 22 x 20mm colour LCD that displays phone status and other information. It acts as a camera viewfinder and works with the caller photo ID function. It has a 96 x 65 resolution and supports 4000 colours. In the bottom left corner of the lid, the VGA camera lens is accompanied by the flash beam light. On the top edge you’ll find an on-off button, the antenna, a fitting for a wrist strap and a mini headphone socket.

On the rear there’s an external speaker (vibration alerts are also supported) and the battery cover that secures with internal clips. If you remove the battery you can lift a hinged cover and install an MMC Card for use with the MP3 player (thicker SD Cards aren’t compatible).

A 32MB card is bundled. There’s another slot for an auxiliary phone card not used locally. On the right edge of the lid there is a button that activates voice dialling, records a voice memo or snaps a picture, depending on how long you press it for or the mode you are in. On the right edge of the base there’s an infrared port. On the bottom edge there’s a port for the AC adapter and another for accessory connectors, such as a USB cable (optional) and a radio tuner headset (bundled). On the left side of the base there’s a volume button for audio playback and earpiece volume. Inside the lid the 65K active matrix LCD measures 32 x 41mm and has a 128 x 160 resolution. It is surrounded with a mirrored frame. The 6255’s shutdown time is around four seconds with start-up taking approximately 15 seconds.

Navigation

The keypad is coloured dark grey with the large keys mounted individually. The large white numerals have small lowercase alphabetic characters below them.

Symbols are used for all functions. The white lettering turns light green in low light and the backlighting is evenly distributed. Adding to the colour, bright blue backlit stripes separate the rows of keys and illuminate the two top soft keys. The call and disconnect keys are green and red, respectively.

The four-way navigation button has a central key for confirming and selecting choices. Below the four-way key there’s a shutter button for the camera. The keys all respond with a positive click and the menus are also fast to open and scroll. In some menu screens the 6255 will only display two options onscreen at a time, which means that you couldn’t see the full range of choices in one glance.

This seems somewhat anomalous, as there is plenty of screen space available and the text used is fairly small. The four-way navigation key has shortcut functions and you can also add your own to the phone. On the whole the 6255 is a fairly intuitive phone to use.

Calling

The Nokia 6255 is designed for connecting to CDMA 800, 1900 and AMS networks. Locally, it operates on Telecom’s 027 network. We found the earpiece volume control useful although it didn’t raise the volume in calls as much as we would prefer (headset volume was good, however). In normal use, we found the volume for the recipient of a 6255 call was louder using the built-in mic than the one in the bundled headset.

You can use an optional Bluetooth headset such as the Nokia HS-11W with the 6255 (although any Bluetooth headset will work with the phone). There’s a useful speakerphone mode available, too. The address book supports 500 entries with seven numbers, including an email and web address and text fields plus photo ID and distinctive ring.

You can synchronise entries with a desktop database. (For uploading contacts to the 6255 from your old phone, visit any Telecom store and they will assist using the instore Synapse system). The photo ID appears when you ring out as well as receive a call. Voice dialling works with the clam shell closed and is easy to configure from the address book. The battery’s standby time is seven hours, with a three-hour rated talk time.

Camera

The 640 x 480 VGA (0.3 megapixel) camera is basic, recording little detail in its images. The colours in our test shots looked quite rich, however, so the oil-painting effect actually enhanced the visuals from a colour perspective. There’s also a range of gallery effects (adding frames or clip art) and image adjustment options, such as setting contrast and cropping. You can use the smaller external LCD as a viewfinder for self portraits, but you need to activate it manually from the main menu. Among the camera settings is a night mode and a flash is built-in for low-light conditions – you’ll have to work to get the right exposure with the flash though. A range of image quality settings are provided for the small screen of a handset. Movie capture is supported and it has a useful pause function.

Messaging

The messaging client offers SMS and MMS options and includes MMS to email (with an email alert inviting the recipient to a Telecom web site for the full details). There’s browser access to Xtra mail, picture messaging, web text notices and instant messaging. (You can also use the phone as a fax-modem for a desktop email client.)

The 6255 uses quite small text in its messaging interface which means that you can see a lot on the screen. Although the text is small, we found the bold typeface easy to read and the T9 predictive input system easy to use. The messaging options menu provides quick access to images, message presets and symbols. Many phones display a small icon onscreen when sending an image through MMS, but the Nokia 6255 goes further and also displays the progress as a percentage. Nice.

Applications

The WAP browser displayed the sites we visited well. Images embedded in news stories loaded quickly, sizable chunks of data were obtained at once and pages scrolled quickly. The bundled headset is necessary for using the radio tuner function.

The tuner automatically detected a few stations and we were able to tune into the extra ones that we wanted manually with reasonable reception quality. The onboard audio player is compatible with AAC and MP3 file formats.

You can load audio files by USB PC connection, Bluetooth or infrared, or put them on the memory card before you load it if that is more convenient. As memory card capacities get higher and less expensive, a device like the 6255 is a good option for users who also want a portable audio player (although SD Cards are generally more common in higher capacities than those in MMC format). An equaliser function is provided with several presets that proved rather subtle in their variations.

A manual configuration option is available, too. Random and repeat playback is supported. You can skip tracks during playback with a button in the headset cable. The 2.5mm mini socket on top of the 6255 lets you use alternative earphones (to take advantage of the high-quality output from the player), but it would be useful to have a standard earphone socket on the phone or in the headset connection. Miscellaneous utilities include a world clock, to-do, calendar, conversion tool, calculator and timers. Java games bundled include car racing, pinball, a puzzle and a snowboarding game that’s not for the faint-hearted. You can download more, if required. In testing we found that the Nokia 6255 has enough processing power to support its range of functions.

Summary

The Nokia 6255 is certainly worthy of a look for business users – using Nokia PC Suite it can synchronise your phonebook, calendar and to-do list with your PC, and provide WAP browser access to Xtra mail, picture messaging, web text notices and instant messaging. The price point also includes a radio tuner and MP3 player that can make commuting or other idle periods less tiresome (an optional desktop audio base is also available).

Full Bluetooth support also opens up a host of accessory integration options – like headsets, carkits and speaker systems. Nokia supplies a useful manual with the 6255 but as the phone’s controls are mostly intuitive you probably won’t need to refer to it very often. Overall, the Nokia 6255 is Telecom’s most technically advanced CDMA clamshell handset – integrating an external LCD with photo caller ID and voice-dialling capability.

http://www.istart.co.nz/index/HM20/PC0/PV21902/EX245/AR27685

Hi

Thanks vb86. I have now got all the info I wanted to know. Now, I just have to buy the lovely beauty.

Thanks once again

NetSavvy

Thank God I waited for few more days...other wise I would now have a brand nu mp3 gsm handset and bang my head for missing 6255.

Frustrated by no mp3 rim handsets and with RWorld bringing more n more stuffs from M to E and U category with high prices(Rs.7 for one short video streaming..not even download) I'd almost decided to go for GSM but now i feel lucky.

Well guys my price for this handset is 12.5k. anyone interested can call me on 9324098544. will write phone review if got time. phone is too cool guys.

Well guys my price for this handset is 12.5k. anyone interested can call me on 9324098544. will write phone review if got time. phone is too cool guys.

35920[/snapback]

ANYONE SELLING IT IN PUNE ?

Its only blue color handset right now with every dealer.

Hi guys I have bought the Nokia 6255 and i must say that it is a relief after the no frills reliance handsets. It is a cool phone with all the right features making it at par with the high end GSM handsets(The camera may have been of a higher resolution though). One thing i have not been able to figure out is hoe to use the internet thru bluetooth. If anybody has any ideas please post them here. Thanks

Hi guys I have bought the Nokia 6255 and i must say that it is a relief after the no frills reliance handsets. It is a cool phone with all the right features making it at par with the high end GSM handsets(The camera may have been of a higher resolution though). One thing i have not been able to figure out is hoe to use the internet thru bluetooth. If anybody has any ideas please post them here. Thanks

35954[/snapback]

Hey wow. Can you tell us how the R-World support is? How's the quality of MP3, because that's the reason I am interested in this model. How about posting a review?

Amit:

A few questions:

1. How much did you buy it for? Is there any buy back offer for old handsets?

2. I already have a RIM handset so to change my number to the new phone how much does one pay?

3. Can the old handset be reactivated on prepaid/postpaid (I'm sure it can but just checking)?

4. Do you get all the features listed on Nokia's website such as WAP access (directly not through R World), MP3 downloads from your PC, R World, R Connect and the like?

A few questions:

1. How much did you buy it for? Is there any buy back offer for old handsets?

they r sayin they would reduce Rs 800/- for my old set.. (RD2030)..

2. I already have a RIM handset so to change my number to the new phone how much does one pay?

they say u cannot change ur number ( according to RWW - Sec 18, Noida). it was my priority too . i want to change my number
3. Can the old handset be reactivated on prepaid/postpaid (I'm sure it can but just checking)?

i asked the RWW guys to make my current handset blank . so that i can reactivate it with my new Postpaid corporate connection . they say that after u disactivate.. the phone cannot be programmed to another number. !

4. Do you get all the features listed  on Nokia's website such as WAP access (directly not through R World), MP3 downloads from your PC, R World, R Connect and the like?

wap access -> can we take the provider from some1 else (MSPs)?? .. i really doubt if such a thing is there in india..

Hi Guys

I just checked the Nokia India website. They have now put the Nokia 6255 in the "Current" phone models. One more thing, there is no data cable in the sales package. You will have to get a DKU 2 data cable for data transfers.

Keep updating this post.

Thanks

NetSavvy

Can some kind person who has actually bought it post the price and detailed review. Do not forget to mention after how much time while talking through the handset( not handsfree does it get hot.) and also the ergonomics.

Thanks.

Regards,

Mitul

Hi Guys

I have started a new thread on reviews of Nokia 6255.

http://www.rimweb.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4161

Please reply there with your reviews.

Thanks

NetSavvy

35971[/snapback]

Well, I think one thread is enough to keep all discussions related to 6255 in one place. It's Mod's choice now.

Amit:

35963[/snapback]

Mostly, Rs.22 for Handset change card(HCC). 99% sure about this.

Amit:

35963[/snapback]

Of course. Once it is deactivated, it's as good as unprovisioned handset, on which any GSK or HCC can be used to activate it with new or existing number.

Thanks for the reply Amit. You didnt tell me how much it costs and whether the WAP access is any good, i.e. can you go to Yahoo and other sites?