Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Arun

Updated: Pesky SMSs/Calls: Major relief to users from March 21, 2011

Telcos welcome new Trai guidelines to check pesky calls

Mobile service providers today welcomed the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India’s (Trai) new guidelines for cracking down on unsolicited telemarketing calls and SMSes. But indicated that keeping to the January 1, 2011, deadline for compliance would be a challenge. "The Trai guidelines are in appropriate direction, giving customers a tool in hand to take or not to take a call. But we have to look at the implementation part of the regulations under the given timeframe," Rajan S Mathews, the director general of Cellular Operators's Association of India, said. Trai has said a penalty of up to Rs 2.50 lakh will be imposed for violation of the telemarketing guidelines, which could be followed by blocking repeat offenders' connections.

"Idea seems to be good, but now we have to see the implementation of the regulation under the provided timeframe. This is good with the consumer point of view," said Dilip Sahay, an Advisor at Association of Unified Telecom Service Providers of India. The new guidelines will come into effect from January 1, 2011.

A different set of numbers starting with '70' will be issued to telemarketers so that any unregistered subscribers can identify commercial calls and decide whether to accept or reject them.

Unlike the previous guidelines, which only provided for a 'Do Not Call' Registry, the regulations issued today give customers different options to avoid unsolicited calls.

The subscriber can now choose to be listed under the "fully blocked" category - which is akin to the 'Do Not Call' Registry - or the "partially blocked" category, in which case he will only receive SMSs in the categories chosen by him.

Trai has identified seven categories for telemarketing calls, including banking and financial products, real estate, education, health, consumer goods and automobiles, communication and entertainment, tourism and leisure.

Courtesy : Business Standard

TRAI delays the implementation of regulations to the aspect of security audit of the website to be created for the purpose....

:NOTriste: :NOTriste: :NOTriste: :NOTriste: :NOTriste:

http://www.trai.gov.in/WriteReadData/trai/upload/PressReleases/779/prcndi14dec10.pdf

http://www.trai.gov.in/WriteReadData/trai/upload/Regulations/99/regulationcndiv14dec10.pdf

• Sad 1

TRAI fixes 1st Feb 2011 as the new date.

Telemarketers to start registering from 15th Jan 2011.

http://www.trai.gov.in/WriteReadData/trai/upload/PressReleases/783/prcndiv28dec10.pdf

http://www.trai.gov.in/WriteReadData/trai/upload/Regulations/100/regulation28dec10cnit.pdf

Let us hope the new dates are not dragged further due to vested interests.

People are getting odd marketting SMS and calls once in a while even after registering in DND (and of course waiting 45 days) and they give up complaining, accepting it as a way of life. Telecos will run bankrupt overnight if the penalties are imposed.

Let us hope this one works well.

• Confused 1

Koi matlab nahi yeh DND ka

• Confused 1

Ya, even after registering for DND on many of my mobiles, I still recieve unwanted Sms / Calls.

They should change DND to..... DDM (DO DISTURB ME). Lolz. :P

• Like 1

Hello friends...

Sharing with you mail I had received from my Bulk SMS Provider. He says these rules will be effective from 01/02/2010...

Highlights :-

$ There will be two types of SMS --

(i) Transactional (only for Bank or Financial or Insurance or Credit, also Airlines or Railways also registered educational Institution to parents ,any other message specified time to time)

(ii) Unsolicited commercial communication ( Promotional)

$ Every Access Provider (Operators) shall maintain & operate a register i.e Provider Customer Preference Register (PCPR), its the new name of DND list at operators end.

$ Now this Register will be in two part Full Blocked (all the numbers in DND will come under this) other is Partially Blocked ( means will get the sms only from his preference category- 7 such categories ......

Category 1-( START 1 to 1909)--> Banking/Insurance/Financial products/ Credit Cards

" 2-( " 2 to 1909)--> Real Estate

" 3-( ' 3 to 1909)--> Education

" 4-( " 4 to 1909)---> Health

" 5-( " 5 to 1909)----> consumer goods and automobiles

" 6-( " 6 to 1909)--->Communication/Broadcasting/Entertainment/IT

" 7-(START 7 to 1909)---->Tourism & Leisure

" Also customer can choose multiple preferences eg. for Banking and real estate -- "START 1,2"

Changes Due to New Rules :-

# Fines Become too much ,,, 1st Notice - 25000/-

2nd Notice-75000/-

3rd Notice- 80000/-

4th Notice- 120000/-

5th Notice- 150000/-

6th Notice- 250000/- also can be black listed ,which will be for 2 years

Hello friends...

Sharing with you mail I had received from my Bulk SMS Provider. He says these rules will be effective from 01/02/2010...

Hmmm.....effective from 01/02/2010 ??? :Decepcionado:

It should be 01/02/2011. :)

<< Topic Merged >> :)

• Thanks 1

As per the Trai notifications, the Sms packs which offers more then 100 sms per day will not be available for renewal.

Also got the news, that MTS will be the first operator to follow this by withdrawing its 500 sms per day pack and reducing 150 sms per day to 100 sms per day for its Rs.16/- sms pack.

Soon, all other operators will also follow the suite by offering 100 sms per day packs or 3000 sms per month pack.

today i got a mail from my cluster office that now sms pack has been revised from 1st feb.

now no one can send more than 100 sms per day with any any pack.

for deatail see the attachment of mail.

post-41866-0-65495500-1296184742_thumb.j

:previous:

Sorry if this is :bs_offtopic:

Why not something similar for voice and data calls too? ---- like max 10 minutes for voice (you will not get head cancer, throat cancer, ear cancer etc, this way you see) and 10 minutes for data (your fingers, eyes, brain, wallet etc will remain forever good)

Similarly on RW, FB, etc etc also, we should have caps on max time spent, so that every one will get a chance to equal Kamalbhai's record of 6k+ posts (sorry kamalbhai, no offence meant).....

:rofl_200::rofl_200:

3 cheers to whoever wants to implement this....:clap1::clap::cheer:

Edited by KumaarShah
  • Like 1

I must say .. this is kind of annoying for SMS users who practically communicate all day thro SMS's. Especially in corporates - where stats and targets are often discussed over SMS :! My average comms with my team coach exceeds 100 sms / day!!

Hey bro, no rule will be able to prevent a genuine user to send more than 100 SMS' per day....

One can use multiple handsets to achieve what is required. Most users in India already have multiple SIMs / RUIMs for affordable voice calls. Now they can also use it for SMS' What say? :Contento::rofl_200:

Edited by KumaarShah

previous.gif That would be pretty inconvenient. Besides, many/most may be using a separate phone for work and for personal calling. Also one would need to spend more to activate SMS packs for more than one phone.

Cheer Up Fellas, Sometimes Pesky SMS Can Be Beneficial...Lol...Read The Story :Riendo:

Random carrier text message blows up a Moscow Red Square suicide bomber prematurely

Random-carrier-text-message-blows-up-a-Moscow-Red-Square-suicide-bomber-prematurely.jpg

As annoying as carrier's marketing messages might be, it seems that they served a good purpose in Moscow around New Year's Eve. An unnamed female suicide bomber, apparently part of the same group that carried out the terrorist attack at the Domodedovo airport the other day, was prepping something similar on the Red Square. Her husband is reportedly serving jail time for being a member of a radical terrorist group, and authorities believe they have been training with the aid of al-Qaida militants.

The explosives belt she had on, was linked to a cell phone, which is often used as a detonator in such terrorist attacks by a co-conspirator who sends a text message when the suicide bomber gets near the victims. What the group didn't plan for, was a random text message sent to the Russian carrier's subscribers, wishing them a Happy New Year.

This reportedly triggered the explosion in the safe house she was in, just hours before the woman could get to the crowded Red Square, where hundreds of thousands of Russians usually gather to ring in the new year. It might have been an even worse blast than the one in Domodedovo, considering how tightly packed people are at these events - think Times Square when the ball drops. Next time we get a carrier's unsolicited message, we won't be fuming with annoyance.

Source:phonearena

previous.gif Interesting, but leaves me with some questions - why would a suicide bomber need to have his/her payload detonated this way??? Can't he/she do it himself/herself? confused.gif Why on earth do you need remote detonation when the bomber can do it himself?

Another amazing thing is that they did not anticipate this scenario. Either they were super dense or maybe I am missing something?

Edited by raccoon

Received this sms today

BA-AWARD

congrats : your mobile number won for you 1000,000 GBP in the ongoing BBC mobile award held in uk. For claims contact Dr.Darvin Spencer. Email bbc-uk@msn.com

Never thought a mobile no. will win me a fortune and that bbc corp. was so jobless. Why cant the operator verify the content before sending bulk smses?

:angry:

Today I too received sms from Reliance that you can send only 100 sms per day from 1st Feb 2011 onwards.

@KumaarBhai

What an IDEA sirji. +1 :)

BJP's Telecom Cell launches campaign against unsolicited text SMSs, voice calls

The Economic Times l 28 January l New Delhi

The Bharatiya Janata Party’s newly constituted Telecom Consumer Cell has announced the launch of a campaign against the menace of unsolicited text SMSs and automated voice calls . Sanjay Bhalla, the National Convener of the BJP Telecom Consumer Cell submitted BJP’s memorandum of demands related to this issue to Dr JS Sarma, Chairperson of TRAI, today. The memorandum demands the implementation of a system that makes it mandatory for telecom service providers and telemarketer to pay telecom users for unsolicited text SMSs and automated voice calls.

In his meeting today with Dr Sarma, Mr Bhalla pointed out that, in the TRAI policy guidelines document for UCC (No 305-17/2010-QoS, dated 1 December 2010, on the setting up and enforcement of rules for Access Providers and Telemarketers with respect to UCCs, clauses pertaining to the penalties merely sp ecify that “....the penalty amounts shall be deducted from the security deposit of the telemarketer and deposited in the account as may be specified by TRAI, from time to time.....” (Schedule 4, Clause 10).

“Surprisingly there is no reference on compensating the telecom consumer for the inconvenience caused and the unsolicited use of the resource by the telemarketer. By law, the cell phone is the private property of the telecom user; therefore it is the consumer’s right to be paid for the usage of the private resource by a third party-in this case, the Access Provider/telemarketer,” says Mr Bhalla.

The BJP Telecom Consumer Cell has demanded that TRAI should issue a notification directing the Access Providers to directly credit the accounts of telecom users as per below:

• For Every Unsolicited Commercial Communication (SMS): 5/- (Rupees Five) per such marketing SMS

• For Every Unsolicited Commercial Communication (Voice Call): 10/- ( Rupees Ten) per such marketing call

According to Mr Bhalla, the system is technically feasible: “We have discussed this issue with several telecom providers and they do not see much difficulty in implementing this system.”

The mission of the Bharatiya Janata Party’s Telecom Consumer Cell is to be the voice of the Indian telecom consumer on all service and policy issues relating to telecommunications.

Will they(BJP's Telecom Consumer Cell) meaningfully take up issues listed in the topic and the post?

I appreciate this initiative but I prefer it to be rather multi-party cell.

Out of all the wishes, my priority is certainly on 'allowing VOIP between computers and telephones(landlines/mobiles) within India'.

TRAI has given recommendations to DoT some years ago but still DoT not able to find auspicious time to dust and open and read it.

This one small step has potential to create revolution in telecom sector and make voice to be charged in bits rather than in seconds.

Edited by kesav

what I'm wondering is ... will the limitation apply for PAID SMS as well ? i mean SMS's that are not bundled with any offer :P

Hi friends,

Just now I received a SMS from Reliance on my postpaid number saying..

Dear Customer, as per TRAI guidelines with effect from 1-Feb-2011 you can send upto 100 msm per day. Thank you. Reliance

I am using Postpaid Plan with Re: 11/Month SMS pack (1p/sms).

Wasting my time with customer care, i better thought I would get satisfactionary replies from members of our community.

Want to know how far is it true? What will happen to those SMS packs users who get like 10k/20k SMS free(from other service providers).

Edited by Honest
<< Topic Merged >>

<< Topic Merged >> :)