Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Arun

Updated: Pesky SMSs/Calls: Major relief to users from March 21, 2011

Hi friends,

Just now I received a SMS from Reliance on my postpaid number saying..

Dear Customer, as per TRAI guidelines with effect from 1-Feb-2011 you can send upto 100 msm per day. Thank you. Reliance

I am using Postpaid Plan with Re: 11/Month SMS pack (1p/sms).

Wasting my time with customer care, i better thought I would get satisfactionary replies from members of our community.

Want to know how far is it true? What will happen to those SMS packs users who get like 10k/20k SMS free(from other service providers).

Yeah, I got same sort of msg on all my Reliance CDMA, GSM n even Airtel.

Airtel, while right now has not announced any relief in SMS pack despite a limit of 100 msg per day. So until today, I used to get 21,000 msgs/month for Rs. 88 [NCR Circle], now I guess, I'll have to shell out 88 rupees for only a mere 3000 msg per month which is not at all enough for a student. All thanks that I have 3 connections to depend upon.

what I'm wondering is ... will the limitation apply for PAID SMS as well ? i mean SMS's that are not bundled with any offer :P

It will probably. I received an SMS from Facebook SMS that I need to de-register from Do Not Call registry to continue receiving SMS from February now.

Well, one more month of pesky calls/SMS is awaiting:

TRAI pushes back deadline for checking pesky calls to March 1

Monday, January 31, 2011, 20:00 IST

Press Trust of India

Mobile subscribers looking for respite from unsolicited marketing calls and SMSes will now have to wait for another month, as telecom regulator Trai has extended the date for implementation of guidelines to check the pesky calls to March 1.

The delay is on account of change in allocated series from ''70'' to ''140'' for telemarketers, who have now been given time till March 1 to adhere to the new rules on pesky calls.

"On January 31, 2011, DoT has communicated a fresh numbering series beginning with the number ''140'' in place of''70'' number series. Communicating the same to all the access providers and carrying out the required changes would require time," Trai said in a statement.

In view of the new series, telecom operators will have to effect a number of technical changes like configuration ofnetworks and putting in place filtering solutions to stop Unsolicited Commercial Calls (UCC).

"Therefore, the Authority is compelled to change the dateof implementation of operationalisation of the ''Telecom Commercial Communications Customer Preference Regulations,2010'' to March 1, 2011," the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (Trai) added.

Earlier, it had set a deadline of January 1, 2011 for operators to implement the UCC or telemarketing guidelines.

This was, however, extended to January 31.

As per the new order, customer preference registrations would begin from February 10, which would be effective within seven days.

Unlike the previous guidelines, which only provided for a''Do Not Call'' Registry, the new regulations give customers different options to list under the ''fully blocked'' category(Do Not Call Registry) or the ''partially blocked'' category.

The second option will allow subscribers to receive SMSes in the categories chosen by them.

Meanwhile, the registration of telemarketers has started on January 15.

Operators, who were facing difficulties in implementing the filtering mechanism mandated by Trai, have been seeking extension of the deadline until March 31.

"However, Trai did not grant this request but provided an extension only until January 31 for implementation of the filtering feature," said GSM operators lobby COAI Director General Rajan S Mathew.

That deadline, however, has now been pushed back by a month to March 1.

<< updated topic title, hope I don't have to next month also! >>

:previous:

The following are the official press releases on the subject

http://www.trai.gov.in/WriteReadData/trai/upload/PressReleases/792/prcnit31jan11.pdf

http://www.trai.gov.in/WriteReadData/trai/upload/Regulations/101/regulation31jan11cnit.pdf

Registry::

http://www.nccptrai.gov.in/nccpregistry/

As per the new order, customer preference registrations would begin from February 10, which would be effective within seven days.

I'm unable to understand the meaning of 'which would be effective within seven days' in the above statement.

Edited by kesav

Why is it that facebook is sending sms that it will not send sms unless we de register ourself from DND list

This thing is too bad Now I will have to de register from DND to receive the sms I want as well as the SMS I dont want then what is the use of DND

tomorrow bank will also do the same thing

Service providers should have a DD(Do Disturb) list also so that we are not put to any inconvenince

• Like 1

I also got a similar message from Facebook.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

Someone who is currently registered in Do Not Call Registry will be considered in Fully Blocked List and won't receive any pesky SMS/Marketing Calls.

The New Regulations allows for Customer Preference in various categories wherein you can choose 1 or multiple categories from which you want to receive messages.

Facebook and all others are probaby sending the messages for de-registering from DND due to this reason.

Customer preference registration is beginning from 10th Feb and you can make your choice there after de-registering from DND.

Please go through the following PDF files which gives the complete idea of the new process and all doubts will be cleared.

FAQs.pdf

Guidelines for Customer.pdf

How to Change Preference.pdf

How to De-register information customer.pdf

How to Register complaint.pdf

How to Register Preference.pdf

Thanks Rajan. You are doing great work

Telemarketers to get new landline number series this week

NEW DELHI: The government is likely to issue new numbers for telemarketing calls originating from landline phones to help customers recognise unsolicited calls, in line with the separate series for mobile telemarketers.

The new number is likely to be issued this week. The Department of Telecommunications (DoT) has already issued a number series starting from '140' for calls and SMSes made from mobile services of registered telemarketers.

"We are in discussion with senior officials of DoT. The number series has to be issued by DoT... (It) will be done by Monday, or latest by Tuesday," a TRAI official told PTI.

The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) has come up with regulations to curb the menace of unsolicited calls and SMSes sent to telecom subscribers.

The regulation will come into force from March 1, 2011, after which customers registered in the do-not-disturb list will get relief from pesky calls and SMSes from telemarketers. The regulator has asked the DoT to issue a separate series of numbers for both mobile networks and basic phones of telemarketers to help consumers differentiate between calls coming from telemarketers and others.

The DoT, in a communication to TRAI, had said the new series of '140' cannot be used for both basic and mobile services.

"Levels for basic services will be allocated after resolving the issue of caller line identification (CLI) for telemarketing operations using basic services," it had said.

The official said, "All the issues regarding basic phone service has been resolved."

However, telecom marketing companies do not seem prepared. On conditions of anonymity, a telemarketing firm said it was yet to receive the new series of landline number.

"There are few days left when our existing telecom resources will be withdrawn. We are worried for our business. Telecom companies are not issuing us basic phone connections as they say that they are yet to receive new numbers from the DoT," one representative of a telemarketing company said.

In a recent notification, the telecom regulator had asked telecom companies to withdraw telecom resources, including existing telecom connections issued to telemarketers, by February 28, 2011.

Economic Times

TRAI Pushes Marketing Calls And Sms Guidelines To March 21

Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) today extended the deadline for implementing new rules to effectively arrest pesky commercial calls and empowered consumers against unwanted calls and SMSes. Now the new deadline is March 21.

The whole drama started in December as we shared in TelecomTalk when TRAI come with its first of its kind of amendment to regulate unwanted calls.

TRAI said that the delay in allocation of a uniform number series for fixed line telemarketers by the Department of Telecom as the main reason for the latest deferral.As per the new announcement the regulation to stop Unsolicited Commercial Communication will be effective 21st March, 2011 with this subscribers will have all right to opt which service to opt and which not to.

The regulation provides that the customer preferences would be effective within seven days from the day of opting it.

To control telemarketing calls (DoT) has now allocated a new separate numbering series starting with the number ‘140’ for telemarketing activities prior it was 70 so communicating the same to all the service providers and carrying out the required changes would require time.

Therefore, The Authority has to change the date of implementation of operationalization from 21st March 2011

source :: http://telecomtalk.info/trai-pushes-marketing-calls-and-sms-guidelines-to-march-21/57789/

Official Links

http://www.trai.gov.in/WriteReadData/trai/upload/PressReleases/799/prcadiv28feb11.pdf

http://www.trai.gov.in/WriteReadData/trai/upload/Regulations/102/newregulation28feb11cadiv.pdf

Dear Admins/Mods,

Kindly update the new date in the topic title.....

Edited by kesav

The next numbering series will be 280 - first it was 70, then 140, so the next number in the series should be 280, then 560 and so on. This way, TRAI will ensure that this scheme also does not see the light of the day. HA ha HA ha.....

It looks like the delay in adopting new series is purposefully delayed by the incumbent telecom operators.

Since the number series is changing to "140", there's clear fear among key landline operators like BSNL, MTNL & Airtel.

They fear that there'll be mass exodus to Reliance and TATA due to their better tariff.

After all, the land line telemarketing corporate segment is the highest ARPU segment.

Most of the corporates are stuck with existing operators inspite of very bad service and tariff only to retain their numbers.

When they know that due to introduction of new series, their number is going to change, they're planing to shift to better operator.

Has the maximum limit of 100 SMS per day for all users been implemented by trai?

I got a call from reliance telling me that.

Sent from my HTC Hero CDMA using Tapatalk

:previous:

I don't think so, as the date has been extended to Mar 21, 2011. Till then, one can send more than 100 SMS' per day.

^^^

Ya, I can still send more then 100 sms per day from my Vodafone mobile.

Tele-marketing companies and operators uses DoT as an instrument to delay further.....

There seems to be no end to unwanted calls and messages from telemarketers in sight, as the ban on such communications is set to be deferred for the fourth time. It seems unlikely that the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (Trai) would resolve its dispute with the department of telecom (DoT) over issuing a new number series to telemarketing companies using landline phones.

Trai had earlier demanded a separate identifiable landline number series, in line with a new mobile series for telemarketers, but DoT has clearly said it would amount to breach of security at the telephone exchange level.

"Most of the work in case of landlines is done manually. Fixed-line network is not automatic like mobile networks. Identification in case of fixedline is done through manual process," said a DoT official.

While deferring the ban on unwanted calls and messages from telemarketers for the third time, Trai had announced a fresh deadline of March 21 late last month.

A DoT official explained that in the present situation if any call originates from a landline then it can be identified based on the STD code - the initial digits - and then the levels (digits following the STD code), which differ from exchange to exchange within a city.

If the identifiable series of '140' is used, it will impact the numbering system being used for allocating new connections.

Also, it will be difficult for security agencies to track calls as it will display a uniform code instead of the STD code for connections across the country, the official said.

"There will be extra capacity in each exchange as telemarketers are not present everywhere. A person with wrong intention will be able to plug into a network manually and run away after misusing the network," the official said. The DoT official said that it was also not commercially viable for telecom service providers to upgrade exchanges in all parts of the country.

DoT has asked Trai to re-consider its demand and bring changes in the way it wants to implement regulation on pesky calls and SMSes.

Telecom operators have also been pushing for deferring regulation on telemarketers as they have their commitments with the telemarketers.

The business of bulk messages is worth over Rs 335 crore in India, with over 16,800 crore bulk messages being sent to mobile users every year. Of this, over 12,000 crore messages are sent by Tata Teleservices alone (71 per cent market share).

source :: http://businesstoday.intoday.in/bt/story/trai-and-dot-tiff-to-delay-ban-on-unwanted-calls-again/1/13726.html

It's utter non-sense to quote manual switching as a reason for delaying.

Rather DoT must use this as an opportunity to move to automatic switching for all exchanges.

Another reason quoted is also not futuristic.

When TRAI is working hard on Number Portability in landline, the use of STD code to identify the exchange location is certainly not the future.

Identifying exchange based on STD code is also irrelevant due to upcoming fixed-mobile convergence on which TRAI is formulating regulations.

In nutshell, futuristic numbering system will not have any signature to identify whether the number belongs to landline or mobile.

It'll also not have any signature to identify the exchange or the circle to which the number belongs to.

With future in focus, DoT can use this "140" as an opportunity to force operators to upgrade their system in anticipation of landline number portability, inter-circle MNP and fixed-mobile convergence, the services on which TRAI is highly focussed to bring to live at the earliest.

• Thanks 1

The business of bulk messages is worth over Rs. 335 crore in India, with over 16,800 crore bulk messages being sent to mobile users every year. Of this, over 12,000 crore messages are sent by Tata Teleservices alone (71 per cent market share).

No wonder most of those highly irritating SMSes that get thru to me despite DND are from Tata Tele! cursing.gif But how come Tata have garnered 71% market share??

I get messages telling me I am on DND so the companies cannot call me. What is the point of DND if it only applies to calls and messages still come.

• Thanks 1

TRAI has postponed the implementation of NEW Pesky Calls Regulations Indefinately NOW...Which was supposed to be Starting From 21st March 2011..

No Time Frame is Given When it Will Come Info Force...

What a Waste of Time... Again the MNP Drama repeating...It may be year's before Operators allow this to happen..

Relevant TRAI Notification

5th Amendment V2 .pdf

Edited by rajanmehta

Ha ha ha hee hee hee:-(...:'(

DoT vide letter No. 16-5/2009-AS.III/(Vol. IV) dated 31st January, 2011 has provided "140‟ number series to be allocated to telemarketers for mobile network. However, number series for fixed network are still not allocated. The matter has been taken up on urgent basis to allocate number series to telemarketers for fixed network. Access Providers have indicated that it will not be possible to provide all the resources to call centres from mobile network only due to high traffic originated from such call centres. Due to non availability of numbering resources from fixed line network from DoT date of implementation of relevant clauses of The Telecom Commercial Communications Customer Preference Regulations, 2010 has been extended upto 21st March, 2011 through the forth amendment to the regulations on 28th February, 2011 . However, till date DoT has not allocated the numbering resources for telemarketers from fixed line network. This new numbering series will be required to be implemented by all Access Providers before allocation of resources to telemarketer. For this purpose time will be required by Access Providers to change the configuration in their system and test the new series. No time frame has been specified by DoT as of now. Accordingly, relevant clauses of The Telecom Commercial Communications Customer Preference Regulations, 2010 (6 of 2010) dated the 1st December, 2010 have been amended.

Blame lies with DoT not TRAI according to pdf.

:ranting:

Tareekh pe tareekh....they postponed it indefinately now. :angry:

Absolutely exasperating. :angry: