Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Arun

Updated: Pesky SMSs/Calls: Major relief to users from March 21, 2011

+1.

What a relief for everyone...

After updating the implementation date 3-4 times in the topic title, Finally Arun or Other Moderators Can Modify The Topic Title Once and For All..

"Updated: Pesky SMSs/Calls: Major relief to users implemented from September 27, 2011" :Sorprendido:

:pleasantry: :pleasantry: :pleasantry: :pleasantry:

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

What a relief for everyone...

But does the story begin the other way?

Yesterday I received an SMS from Axis Bank stating "From Sep 27, you may miss SMS updates from Axis Bank if you have registered o Do Not Call list, SMS STOP DND to 1909"

For getting essential Netsecure Code for making online transactions, I have to have my number de-registered from DND :sign_omg:

And from Letsbuy.com I received an email today stating,

"Dear Customer,

This is to inform you that as per TRAI’s new regulation you will not be receiving our SMS or calling services from 27th September 2011 onwards for the following:

• Billing and Payment
  • Dispatch and Delivery

Although, our delivery partners will be able to SMS/Call you for any enquiry.

To avail Letsbuy’s undisputed and hassle free services, subscribe to our alert services NOW! Just SMS “START 6” to 1909. On sending this code your SMS/Calling services will be activated and you will be able to avail our services again. You will receive all the information and alerts regarding order update, shipping, deals, discounts, delivery, billing, payments, special offers and more."

TRAI today announced exemption for following categories from the limit of sending 100 SMS per day per SIM.

• Dealers of the Telecom Service Providers and DTH Operators for sending request for electronic recharge on mobile numbers;
  • E-ticketing agencies for responding to e-ticketing request made by its customers;
  • The social networking sites - Facebook, Twitter, Orkut, LinkedIn and GooglePlus to its members pertaining to activities relating to their accounts based on their verifiable options;
  • Agencies providing directory services – Justdial, Zatse, Callezee, Getit and Askme.

Relevant TRAI notification attached.

TRAI Exemption Notification.pdf

It is not clear but the essential banking messages for online authentication does not fall under the barred category.

But promotional messages will be under DND.

All essential banking messages will be re-routed and shall be available to all customers.

Just we do not know as yet when it will be properly implemented.

thats the bad part. it is blanket ban sort of. I do not receive any SMS form my bank and other facilities like commodity and forex which i have subscribed. there should be proper mechanism whereby I can decide from which I can receive.

though I am receiving SMS from credit card co. its wierd.

I just received sms from Axis Bank for one of my online transaction. That means essential banking messages will be available to its customers. :)

Essential services will continue to be exempted under the ban. The problem is that service operators are working in the fear psychosis of the average Indian customer and making them unsubscribe to the DND services under some garb or the other. There is no way that a bank can state that normal SMS which they are supposed to send once you withdraw cash or carry out a credit card transaction falls within the purview of DND and therefore would not be sent. Hope consumers stop falling prey to these foolish games.

I usually get SMS alert from HDFC Bank for Credit Card transactions, but not receiving from today. I have done the partial DND subscription earlier by opting for Communication / IT category.

I did not get SMS for ATM withdrawal from ICICI Bank.

Maybe it will take a couple of days to streamline their system.

Did not got any sms for adverts, not even any sms from my bank,,,,

Got sms from Yes bank for withdrawal

Bank alerts not affected by curbs on pesky calls, SMSs

Times News Network | Sep 28, 2011, 01.06AM IST

Banks have said that transactions alerts are unaffected by the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India's ban on bulk SMSs which came into effect from Tuesday. However, customers who registered with the national 'do not call' registry will not receive updates and information on special offers.

Trai's orders bar service providers from sending unsolicited SMSs to users registered under the erstwhile National Do Not Call list, which has been renamed the National Consumer Preference Registry. It restricts marketers from sending promotional messages between 9 pm and 9am.

Trai on Tuesday said it is also planning to impose five paise termination charge per SMS from October 15 on service providers on whose network commercial SMSs originate, to make it further difficult for those who broadcast millions of SMSs in a day.

A spokesperson for Axis Bank said that the alerts that customers receive every time they transact on their credit cards or withdraw cash from an ATM would continue. However, general messages informing customers of deals would not be available if they are registered under 'do not disturb'. He, however, pointed out that there was a facility for even DND customers to receive SMSs specific to banking by opting for SMSs from that category.

Banks, railways, and airlines have been allowed to send messages only as long as it pertains to a customer transaction. The regulator has also allowed registered educational institutions to send SMSs regarding students to their parents.

Mobile phone users have been allowed to make their do not call instructions industry specific by opting to receive messages from one of nine industries, which include banking and finance, real estate, education, health, consumer goods and auto, television, IT and tourism.

Want To Send More Than 100 SMS

Courtesy: ET http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/news-by-industry/telecom/want-to-send-more-than-100-smses-read-this-text/articleshow/10189572.cms

NEW DELHI: If the telecom regulator's restriction allowing only 100 SMSes a day is ruining your late-night messaging spree with your friends (after all, you need each one of them), fret not.

There are several options that offer a richer communication environment, unlimited messaging, and, are available for free. All you need is a smartphone, a free application and a basic data plan that can start as low as 99 per month.

A slew of applications - both proprietary and platform-agnostic - are available in the market. The best-known is the BlackBerry Messenger, known to all fans of the brand as BBM. Two people with BlackBerry phones can chat for free with each other no matter where in the world they are, and that too, in an encrypted environment.

This was the feature that had raised the hackles of India's home ministry and dominated the headlines earlier this year. Like many other messengers, BBM offers emoticons, real-time delivery and read receipts, among other features.

Apple is expected to offer a proprietary messaging platform in the upcoming iOS5 operating system. Called iMessage (obviously), it will connect users of iPhones, iPad and iPod Touch. With this, Apple fanboys might restrict their social interactions to other Apple users.

But at a time Android devices and other platforms are steadily eating into proprietary smartphone monopolies, cross-platform messenger apps are rising in popularity.

These apps are free and unhindered and offer many additional features such as group chat, multimedia messaging and push notifications. The only two requirements are that you need to have a data connection on your phone and your friends need to have the same app installed on their handset.

Here are a few of the popular ones.

Kik is completely free and available for iOS, Android or Windows phones. With Kik, you get real-time delivery and read receipts when you send a message to a contact. It also allows you to have a group chat or share photos with your contacts.

LiveProfile is totally free too and available for iOS, Android and BlackBerry devices. Besides offering unlimited messaging, it also integrates with social networks such as Twitter and Facebook to figure out which of your friends are already using it. PingChat is available for iOS, BlackBerry and Android. You can send regular text, photos and video messages for free to up to ten people at a time.

Since RockeTalk is available as either a Symbian or Java app, it works on almost any device - including most smartphones and feature phones. It does regular data and photo messaging, but RockeTalk is different from the others because it includes communities where you can browse content shared by others.

Finally, WhatsApp has support for iPhone, Android, Symbian and BlackBerry. There's one key difference between WhatsApp and all the others. The others use a PIN, username or some sort of unique identifier - you have to add friends you want to chat with. WhatsApp reads the address book in your phone and automatically identifies which of your contacts is using WhatsApp - because each account is linked to a phone number and SIM card.

That's also why WhatsApp is not supported on the iPad and iPod Touch. WhatsApp is also the only messenger that's not completely free - you get one year of free usage, after which you pay $1.99 for every year of unlimited usage. Other advantages include support for offline messages location sharing and complete chat history.

Edited by KumaarShah

Today morning, I got a payee confirmation SMS on my mobile from ICICI Bank in spite of being in DND fully activated category. :)

It is not clear but the essential banking messages for online authentication does not fall under the barred category.

But promotional messages will be under DND.

All essential banking messages will be re-routed and shall be available to all customers.

Just we do not know as yet when it will be properly implemented.

as clearly indicated within the PDF uploaded at post 95 transactional sms are excluded from the ban.

2. Which messages are categorized as Transactional Messages?

Transactional message means an SMS containing only—

a. Information sent to its customer(s) by the Bank or Financial Institution or InsuranceCompany or credit card company or Access Provider or depositories registeredwith Securities and Exchange Board of India or Direct to Home Operators pertainingto the account of that customer(s);

b. Information given by Airlines or Indian Railways or its authorized agencies to itspassengers regarding travel schedules, ticket booking and reservation;

c. Information from a registered Educational Institution to its students or their parents orguardian

d. Any message as may be specified by the Central or State Government or bodiesestablished under the constitution or directions of the Authority or any agencyauthorized by the Authority, from time to time is "Transactional message

passwords for online transactions are definitely in the above group. 

also Rajan ji has indicated additional exempted categories

Edited by commonman

the banks therefore has no right to claim that the normal trasaction related sms would be blocked by DND.

they are just trying to fool their customers into stopping DND so that the banks can then sell the database for commercial purpose.

so far HDFC and AXIS banks have been found to have sent such misleading sms. ICICI [my primary bank] did not send any such sms to me atleast.

other members can also update on other banks.

letsbuy, shoppers stop and other similar co. are also adopting same tactics.

Funny how some online SMS services are trying desperately to get this 100 SMS ban monkey off their back. Received following mail from WAY2SMS.. They are asking members to write to TRAI.. :haha:

Dear User,

As many of you may be aware, the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) recently issued new regulations on the SMS industry in India. These regulations are designed to significantly curb the sending of unsolicited commercial SMSes to consumers.

Consumers across the country have seen great relief from telemarketers . However, these regulations have significant impact on legitimate personal messaging services such as way2sms.

TRAI new SMS guidelines & Impact on way2sms users

1. Way2SMS users are not allowed to send SMS between 9PM to 9AM

2. Way2SMS cannot deliver your messages to your friends who are on DND(do not disturb) registry.

3. TRAI new regulations wont allow us to send messages with your mobile number as sender.

TRAI has categorized messages as Transactional and Promotional. Unfortunately, they haven't addressed "Personal Messaging" category. This made us to fall under Promotional messaging even though way2sms is used to exchange personal messages withfriends, relatives and known people.

We have received close to 12000 Feedbacks so far and we know, 20 million other way2sms users are also in trouble due to the new SMS regulations.

Due to the TRAI new SMS regulations, if you are not comfortable considering your "way2sms messages" as "promotional messages" , you can always write your feedback to TRAI at helpline@nccptrai.gov.in

We seek your understanding as we continue to employ our best efforts to ensure smooth functioning of the way2sms platform.

We regret any inconvenience caused to you.

Best Wishes

Way2SMS Team

Want To Send More Than 100 SMS

Courtesy: ET http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/news-by-industry/telecom/want-to-send-more-than-100-smses-read-this-text/articleshow/10189572.cms

NEW DELHI: If the telecom regulator's restriction allowing only 100 SMSes a day is ruining your late-night messaging spree with your friends (after all, you need each one of them), fret not.

There are several options that offer a richer communication environment, unlimited messaging, and, are available for free. All you need is a smartphone, a free application and a basic data plan that can start as low as 99 per month.

A slew of applications - both proprietary and platform-agnostic - are available in the market. The best-known is the BlackBerry Messenger, known to all fans of the brand as BBM. Two people with BlackBerry phones can chat for free with each other no matter where in the world they are, and that too, in an encrypted environment.

This was the feature that had raised the hackles of India's home ministry and dominated the headlines earlier this year. Like many other messengers, BBM offers emoticons, real-time delivery and read receipts, among other features.

Apple is expected to offer a proprietary messaging platform in the upcoming iOS5 operating system. Called iMessage (obviously), it will connect users of iPhones, iPad and iPod Touch. With this, Apple fanboys might restrict their social interactions to other Apple users.

But at a time Android devices and other platforms are steadily eating into proprietary smartphone monopolies, cross-platform messenger apps are rising in popularity.

These apps are free and unhindered and offer many additional features such as group chat, multimedia messaging and push notifications. The only two requirements are that you need to have a data connection on your phone and your friends need to have the same app installed on their handset.

Here are a few of the popular ones.

Kik is completely free and available for iOS, Android or Windows phones. With Kik, you get real-time delivery and read receipts when you send a message to a contact. It also allows you to have a group chat or share photos with your contacts.

LiveProfile is totally free too and available for iOS, Android and BlackBerry devices. Besides offering unlimited messaging, it also integrates with social networks such as Twitter and Facebook to figure out which of your friends are already using it. PingChat is available for iOS, BlackBerry and Android. You can send regular text, photos and video messages for free to up to ten people at a time.

Since RockeTalk is available as either a Symbian or Java app, it works on almost any device - including most smartphones and feature phones. It does regular data and photo messaging, but RockeTalk is different from the others because it includes communities where you can browse content shared by others.

Finally, WhatsApp has support for iPhone, Android, Symbian and BlackBerry. There's one key difference between WhatsApp and all the others. The others use a PIN, username or some sort of unique identifier - you have to add friends you want to chat with. WhatsApp reads the address book in your phone and automatically identifies which of your contacts is using WhatsApp - because each account is linked to a phone number and SIM card.

That's also why WhatsApp is not supported on the iPad and iPod Touch. WhatsApp is also the only messenger that's not completely free - you get one year of free usage, after which you pay $1.99 for every year of unlimited usage. Other advantages include support for offline messages location sharing and complete chat history.

They did not mentiont huddle?

On selecting fully blocked DND service for my vodafone number,will i stop recieving talktime offers from vodafone?

^ ^ ^

Yes.

On selecting fully blocked DND service for my vodafone number,will i stop recieving talktime offers from vodafone?

Yes but if its a prepaid then ussd will be active

Taptalk on ™iPad 2

Okk m using prepaid,wat do u mean by ussd?

^^^^^^

The response you get saying the balance, which appears after finishing a call or when u check the balance...