Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kesav

South Korea Leads In 3Rd Annual Broadband Study

South Korea tops the broadband leadership ranking for the second year in a row:

•Broadband quality in South Korea is ranked the highest and has set a new benchmark for the world

•Average download throughput is 33.5 Mbps, an increase of 55% from 2009, average upload throughput is 17 Mbps, an increase of 430%, and average latency is 47ms, an improvement of 35% vs. 2009 figure

100% broadband penetration

The following are the dismal figures of India in comparison,

•Average download throughput is 984 Kbps, an increase of 32% from 2009, average upload throughput is 452 Kbps, an increase of 32%, and average latency is 145ms, an improvement of 46% vs. 2009 figure

4% broadband penetration

Read complete data http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/2010/prod_101710.html

post-6930-024529400 1287677338_thumb.jpg

post-6930-066103200 1287677364_thumb.jpg

Shame on India. Shame, shame, shame!   :NOTriste:

But we love waiting for everything, so we can also enjoy the World Wide Wait (www).   :Chulo:

:Equivocado: Kya yaar.. India is such a shame.. Kuch karo babus..

Shame :NOTriste:

:Equivocado: Kya yaar.. India is such a shame.. Kuch karo babus..

Babus are already doing so much. They are busy in making and saving the money through corruption. Why did they want Broadband. Unnecessary headache if technology improves.

Shameless babus and bureaucrats. They never change and don't expect India change.

:previous: Right but who elected them? The people who elected them are more responsible for the mess than the babus...
  • Like 1

My thoughts are on the same line raccoon. Rep'ed :) but it wont be fair to compare SK with India as SK is a tiny nation with around 5 crore people residing, so achieving 100 per cent broadband penetration is not a big deal but we face a herculean task with our anywhere-above 100 C population! It is for the same reason US doesnt make it to the top 10. Also in SK they have attainted an enviable level of development in all spheres so they can now spend billions of dollars in perfecting their broadband infrastructure. Lastly, they are a model for a fully functional democracy and not a gimmick that we so religiously cite :( but yeah as you guys said, I think I will never be able to love my BSNL 2Mbps broadband like before after reading this of SK's 37 Mbps! :D

My dear Karthik, please don't give lame execuses for not doing what we should have done.

Below is the list of countries which are greater than size of India.

DL --> Download

UL --> Upload

L --> latency

P --> Penetration

RUSSIA::

5 times the size of India

Communist, Quasi democracy

DL - 5.5 Mbps, UL - 3.3 Mbps, L - 92 ms, P - 19%

CANADA::

3 times the size of India

Vibrant Democracy

DL - 6.1 Mbps, UL - 716 Kbps, L - 61 ms, P - 81%

CHINA::

Poupulation greater than India, Communist, No democracy

DL - 2.3 Mbps, UL - 1.1 Mbps, L - 187 ms, P - 29%

USA::

Vibrant Democarcy

DL - 9.6 Mbps, UL - 2.1 Mbps, L - 44 ms, P - 75%

BRAZIL::

2.5 times the size of India

Democracy similar to India(messed up with corruption)

DL - 2.3 Mbps, UL - 449 Kbps, L - 110 ms, P - 21%

AUSTRALIA::

2.3 times the size of India

Vibrant Democracy

DL - 5 Mbps, UL - 564 Kbps, L - 82 ms, P - 68%

Every country above have their one set of problems like Russia (transition from cumminust to democracy, disintegration of USSR), China (raising concerns of human rights violation, population) , Brazil ( corrupt politicians), USA ( struggling to raise out of recession)

Do we stand anywhere near any of the countries above in any of the parameters?????

Size doesn't matter as long as you've will to do something.

Edited by kesav
  • Like 1

well sometimes it does matter! :rofl_200: :rofl_200: :rofl_200: :rofl_200:

jokes apart... yes, curropution and will of not to do anything is why India lagging behind and is still counted in developing nation. Not only politics, but curropution is everywhere. Law/police/defence/corporates/general etc.. etc..

Try opening even a small industry. Bade saab ke dafter ke chakkar kaatate kaatate umar beet jayegi, par kaam snail ke pace se bhi dheere hoga! Few yrs back my cousin wasted about 1yr just to change the registered name of the plot he purchased for setting up a small industry in Himachal. Aaj tehsheeldar aye nahi, aaj aye to hai par kalam nahi uthyenge bcoz unke knee mein pain hai and all kind of excuses you can imagine of!

Absolutely. +1 for factual post with facts and figures rather than abstract theories.

On Speedtest.net, India is ranked at 138 out of a total of 185 countries in terms of broadband speed.

Just have a look at the list of countries which are ahead of India, makes a shameful reading. By the way Pakistan is at 128th Place.

Edited by rajanmehta

thanks for the new info Kesav :) but I was also comparing the population and attainment of 100 broadband penetration right. Dont misunderstand me, I am on better technology's side on any day and not with a non-functional government mechanism.

Broadband in India is defined as anything 256Kbps (Kilo bits per second). Lot of countries are moving towards 100MBps and Japan and Korea with Fibre to the Home (FTTH) (1G and 10G) are moving to even higher speeds we are still stuck at 256 Kbps and for higher speeds with ridiculous download limits.

TRAI had floated a consultation paper on broadband a while back. See here One of the questions in paper was

"Is present broadband definition too conservative to support bandwidth intensive applications? If so, what should be the minimum speed of broadband connection?"

I am quoting the final answer to this questions by top 3 ISPs. Sadly BSNL did not choose to comment on the paper.

RCOM

"The authority should not change the existing speed of broadband services and keep 256 kbps unchanged for both wireline and wireless networks"

AIRTEL

"it is recommended that the existing definition of broadband where the speed is 256 Kbps, should be replaced with at least 512 Kbps."

TATA TELESRVICES

"Minimum defined speed does not deter the delivered speed and as proven internationally, players will offer speeds based on demand requirements and competition. Thus, there is no need to define a minimum speed criterion"

Unless TRAI forces the broadband speed to 4Mbps, we are stuck at 512Kpbs.

• Like 1

TATA TELESRVICES

"Minimum defined speed does not deter the delivered speed and as proven internationally, players will offer speeds based on demand requirements and competition. Thus, there is no need to define a minimum speed criterion"

So they are actually admitting that competition hasn't really taken off and requirement neither. Really, competition hasn't taken off at all. Few months back I applied for connections from both RCom and Airtel (after getting fed up of issues with BSNL line and its higher tariffs) and both declined saying that its not feasible. So I am stuck with BSNL. Yes, Hathway does serve my area, but my experience with them has been GHASTLY to say the least. 

And this in an IT city like Poona. So forget about decent speeds without FUPs, I don't even have a choice to go to any other operator. If I want to change my mobile operator, I have 10 more more options, but no options at all for broadband!! And this is true for the vast majority of net subscribers. Really sad state of affairs.   :mad44:

OFFTOPIC

@raccoon

Check Tikona Wibro if it is available in your area. It is wireless. Does not have totally unlimited plans but have heard good feedbacks here in Mumbai. Moreover they first give a demo to your place so you can satisfy yourself whether a good signal is available.

Link For Tikona Tariff Plans for Pune http://www.tikona.in...cityid=1&mid=13

Edited by rajanmehta

:previous:

WiBro is South Korean name for mobile Wimax(802.16e) which Govt. has recently auctioned.

Tikona has started offering this service in metros well before the auction similar to Reliance's, TATA's WiMax.

But I feel somewhere I've read that these trial frequencies have been asked to be surrendered to DoT before the auctions.

If that is true, then Tikona has won only in Gujarat, Rajasthan, UP(E), UP(W) & HP. So I feel they've to close operations in other cities like Delhi,Mumbai,Chennai,Kolkata,Bengaluru,Hyderabad etc.,

Please shoot a mail to TRAI/DoT regarding the validity of Tikona's service in non-licensed circles before taking it.

Edited by kesav

OFFTOPIC

@raccoon

Check Tikona Wibro if it is available in your area. It is wireless. Does not have totally unlimited plans but have heard good feedbacks here in Mumbai. Moreover they first give a demo to your place so you can satisfy yourself whether a good signal is available.

Link For Tikona Tariff Plans for Pune  http://www.tikona.in...cityid=1&mid=13

Thanks, will check it out. But good feedback? I recall reading lots of adverse reviews on Tikona. Anyway, will consider it only if its cheaper than BSNL because as of now BSNL is working ok. Whats more I get waiver on rental because of BB.

Please shoot a mail to TRAI/DoT regarding the validity of Tikona's service in non-licensed circles before taking it.

And do they actually reply?? In the past, I'v never received a reply from TRAI at least.

TRAI issues Recommendations on ‘National Broadband Plan’

• Establishment of NOFA(National Optical Fibre Agency) and SOFA (State Optical Fibre Agency)
  • 10 Mbps speed with FTTH in JNURM cities(65) by 2014
  • 4 Mbps in 352 cities with FTTK (within 0.5 KM from residence) by 2014
  • 2 Mbps in the rest of India by 2014
  • reduction/removal of tax levies on CPE( modems, routers etc.,)
  • 75 million broadband connections by 2012, 160 million by 2014
  • n/w to be established at a cost of Rs. 60000 crore
  • Estimated revenue for NOFA and all SOFAs put together is Rs. 26000 crore/year

:clap: :clap: :clap:

It's good to see TRAI marching ahead with its job even during these trying times.

Let us pray that its customer-centric national building approach will not be diverted by the meaningless media and egoistic opposition.

http://www.trai.gov.in/WriteReadData/trai/upload/PressReleases/778/prcndiv8dec10.pdf

http://www.trai.gov.in/WriteReadData/trai/upload/Recommendations/124/Broadbandrecommendation08_12_10final.pdf

http://www.trai.gov.in/WriteReadData/trai/upload/Recommendations/125/Dotltr.pdf

Let us hope our politicians will concentrate on this mammoth task in hand rather than wasting their time on non-existing figurative 2G scam.

To achieve this stupendous milestone, TRAI, DoT, state govts should work in tandem parking their egos at rest.

Edited by kesav

TRAI's reply to comments raised by DoT on "National Broadband Plan".

http://www.trai.gov.in/WriteReadData/trai/upload/Recommendations/135/Reply_DOT_Broadband_modified.pdf

DoT is vehemently trying to protect BSNL by going against the TRAI's proposal of autonomous NOFA(National Optic Fibre Agency).

:bash: :bash: :bash:

If we allow BSNL to take up the tasks outlined in "National Broadband Plan", then we'll have our fibre only in 2025 instead of target 2014.

It's a mammoth task in hand, instead of DoT wasting time in raising objections, it's better for it to start the implementation.

Kabil Sibal, Where are you????

:bs_help: :bs_help: :bs_help:

Somehow, as a nation we don't have the habit of sticking to deadlines.

"Deadlines are deadlines and not guidelines"

Let us hope, for a change, DoT will complete this task by deadline 2014 without any extension.

Edited by kesav

In a stupendous move, DoT initiates the formation of NOFN(National Optic Fibre Network).

DoT sets up an Advisory Body under the Chairmanship of Hon’ble MOC&IT to advise on implementation issues and upstream i.e. with core and downstream i.e with access layer integration as well as on issues relating to non-discriminatory access of the National Optical Fiber Network (NOFN).

http://dot.gov.in/RFD/advisory_body.pdf

DoT sets up a High Level Committee(HLC) under the Co-Chairmanship of Shri Sam Pitroda, Adviser to PM on Public Information Infrastructure and Innovations and Shri Nandan Nilekani, Chairman UIDAI to steer and coordinate all activities related to the creation, implementation and management of the National Optical Fiber Network (NOFN).

http://dot.gov.in/RFD/hlc_order.pdf

Kudos to DoT & Kapil Sibal

:clap: :clap: :clap:

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Edited by kesav

Rural broadband connectivity by 2013

Of India’s six lakh villages, five lakh can expect to be on the rural broadband network by 2013, said telecom minister Kapil Sibal on Thursday. “We have set up a high powered committee. Sam (Pitroda) is chairing that committee, both he and Nandan Nilekani and I am told – Sam tells me – we’ll try and implement it in the next two years. Now, whether that happens or not, that’s our endeavour,” Sibal said.

This will be part of the National Optical Fibre Network (NOFN), under the National Optical Fibre Agency (NOFA), a central government owned company. Sibal said that there will be three stages in setting up of NOFN. “Stage one will be the laying of the optical fibre cable (OFC) network by BSNL and a private player. Stage two will be to get advisors from various expert bodies to execute it and stage three will be to allow a private company to manage the network,” he said.

The insistence on having a private sector player, both in partnering state owned BSNL in laying the optical fibre network and in managing it, stems from apprehensions expressed by Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) on having BSNL as the sole executing agency for NOFN.

TRAI, in its recommendations on the National Broadband Plan, submitted to Department of Telecommunications (DoT) earlier this month, said that the inclusion of BSNL in the high-level committee set up to monitor the implementation of the NOFN could lead to a potential conflict of interest if the state-owned telco was also the executing agency.

TRAI also notes that given BSNL’s loss making run over the last several quarters, making it the sole agency to execute the OFC network had the potential to divert the telco management’s attention from the company’s core business of providing telecom services. “Already, BSNL has been registering losses in the last few quarters and there is need for BSNL to utilize all its energies in restoring the health of the enterprise,” the TRAI recommendations state.

While BSNL’s financial results for 2010-11 are yet to be declared, it recorded a loss of Rs 1,823 crore on revenues of Rs 32,046 crore in 2009-10.

Moreover, the telecom regulator says in its recommendations that having BSNL as the executing agency for the OFC network could distort the level playing field vis-à-vis other service providers. “There is serious risk of anti-competitive behaviour setting into the network management,” the regulator said. It further suggested the setting up of a special purpose vehicle (SPV) for execution of the programme.

Sibal also hinted at taking heed of TRAI’s suggestion of making a provision for handing over traffic to other service providers in order to maintain a level playing field and competition. “These are policy issues and it’s not like the private sector will be excluded – it’s for the private sector to use this network. Ultimately the private sector will ride on it,” he said.

The National Broadband Plan had earlier set itself a target of 20 million broadband subscribers by 2010 but has only reached the halfway mark till date. It has now set itself an ambitious target of 75 million broadband connections by 2012 and 160 million by 2014.

source :: http://www.mydigitalfc.com/news/rural-broadband-connectivity-2013-246

Govt involvement and financial support is essential, particularly in rural areas, in order to drive broadband penetration:Study

MUMBAI: The total revenue opportunity from fibre-based broadband services is estimated to be approximately $32 billion across the four leading emerging markets in Asia–Pacific - India, Indonesia, Thailand and Vietnam.

However, to realise this opportunity, government involvement and financial support is essential, particularly in rural areas, in order to drive broadband penetration.

This is the conclusion of a recently released report from Analysys Mason entitled ‘Analysis of rural fibre deployments in selected Asia–Pacific countries: India, Indonesia, Thailand and Vietnam’, commissioned by the Regulation and Policy Committee of the Fibre to the Home Council Asia–Pacific.

Of the estimated $32 billion revenue opportunity, $29.2 billion exists in urban areas, while $2.7 billion lies in rural areas, primarily through shared access model.

The report was released at the sixth Annual FTTH Asia Pacific Conference in New Delhi by India’s Cabinet Minister for Rural Development and Panchayati Raj Vilasrao Deshmukh.

Releasing the report, Deshmukh added that while it is well known that there is immense business potential in the rural areas, adequate and updated data is often unavailable to corroborate the same. In this regard, he commended the efforts of the FTTH Asia Pacific Council to bring out this authentic and well researched report, which he said would be of immense use to policy makers and businesses in the region.

The report highlights the $3 billion opportunity in improving broadband access in the rural areas through shared access networks.

The study was conducted by Analysys Mason with a mandate to analyse the high-level economics of fibre-optic deployment, key enablers, challenges, government policies and regulations and funding support for providing broadband to rural communities in four Asia–Pacific countries. This study adds to the knowledge base of the FTTH Council’s Regulation and Policy Committee, which is frequently called upon by governments in Asia to consult on measures to boost fiber

broadband penetration and increase national competitiveness.

Fiber to the Home Council Asia-Pacific president Frank Jaffer said, “Within the greater Asia-Pacific region, there are over 2 billion people living in rural communities. Even for the 20% of rural households that have broadband connectivity, there are unique requirements for fibre deployments. For the remaining 80 per cent, the challenges to realizing high-speed connectivity are much greater. The FTTH Council Asia Pacific sponsored this study so that we advance the understanding of these challenges, and help propose fibre broadband solutions that make sense to rural communities throughout our region.”

Fiber to the Home Council, APAC chair, Regulation and Policy Committee Jay Teborek said, “The Regulation and Policy Committee has provided policy and implementation consultation to eight governments in Asia for their national broadband projects. In all these countries, the implementation of fibre to cover rural areas is a particularly difficult issue. This is true in both developed and developing economies, and our Committee wanted to enhance our ability to provide assistance to governments struggling with rural fibre planning.

“We designed the study scope to analyse rural market demographics, deployment obstacles, financial hurdles, and effective drivers for fibre penetration in Asia’s rural communities. We are pleased with the results. Our research partner, Analysys Mason, provides significant detail in these areas, as well as an insightful and powerful deployment forecasting tool which could allow governments to assess

deployment costs specific to rural fibre installations.”

In urban areas the major drivers for FTTx adoption are consumers’ use of rich entertainment services and broadband demand from enterprises. However, in rural areas, it is livelihood-enhancing services such as governance, education, healthcare and agriculture, which have a direct impact on the livelihood of the rural population that will drive the adoption of broadband services. To efficiently deliver these services, especially those based on shared access,fibre-based infrastructure is important. Analysys Mason expectsthe total FTTx opportunity in rural areas of the four countries to be about 12.5 million connections, from both shared and individual access.

Analysys Mason partner and director India Kunal Bajaj said,“Evaluation of the economics involved in providing broadband in rural areas across emerging markets indicates that there exists a significant business viability gap for service providers. This makes it important for the government to support this initiative for faster deployment. However, it is always a challenge for governments to determine the order of magnitude of investment required to provide universal access to broadband. An efficient way to estimate the required investment would be to map the fibre-optic deployment alongside the existing rural road infrastructure.”

To drive broadband adoption, various initiatives are required in the areas of infrastructure, affordability, and availability of relevant local content and services. A robust National Broadband Plan addressing all these aspects, and with active participation from private-sector players will be the key in increasing rural broadband penetration across these markets. While Thailand has already taken this initiative, India, Indonesia and Vietnam will need to focus on developing a framework to support universal access to broadband services.

source :: http://www.indiantelevision.com/headlines/y2k11/may/may218.php