Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
dkaile

Sprint Samsung Epic 4G - The Beast Is Here!

@doc_anurag - ur suggestion worked....

flashed the Midnight 5.2 ROM today - pretty straight forward, no issues found. Till now I have tried the following ROM's

Bonsai 3 (EB13) and Bonsai 4 on EC05

ACS SRF 1.0.2 and SRF 1.1.0 (themed with Emotionless Beast) on EC05

Midnight 5.2 on EC05

CM 7 (Alpha 1) on EB13

haven't had any problems with any of these ROM's, though my favourite is SRF 1.1

Is there any significant difference in the overall speed and responsiveness when compared to the stock rom. Most of them boast of removal of various bloat, no carrier iq etc....., but does it really make a big difference?

^

Some of the custom ROMs are zipaligned and png optimized which should theoretically improve speed when booting and when opening menus etc., especially if one has many applications installed.

WARNING - One of my friends on EPIC with Rworld username received a huge unbilled amount of 4825/- as he was continuosly crossing the data limits set on his Rworld plan, which did not reflect in his data usage but got billed one fine day, i.e. today... Just for everyone's information.... without malice or prejudice... @doc_anurag - pls watch...

P.S. - I have reverted back to MDN as username and password (i.e. back on my Netconnect Plan) :P

Edited by dkaile

WARNING - One of my friends on EPIC with Rworld username received a huge unbilled amount of 4825/- as he was continuosly crossing the data limits set on his Rworld plan, which did not reflect in his data usage but got billed one fine day, i.e. today... Just for everyone's information.... without malice or prejudice... @doc_anurag - pls watch...

P.S. - I have reverted back to MDN as username and password (i.e. back on my Netconnect Plan) :P

Dhiraj ji thanks for the warning, but i had switched from rworld to mdn as soon as my netconnect plan got activated. Will revert only if i cross my 500mb( highly unlikely), to use that extra 100mb.

Improve Your Typing Experience in Your Epic 4G With Impaled Keyboard...

More details...

• Like 1

Great find +.

Has anyone tried out Gingerbread? CM does not officially support Epic which is pity but team at XDA have been working on an unofficial CM GB ROM.

Great find +.

Has anyone tried out Gingerbread? CM does not officially support Epic which is pity but team at XDA have been working on an unofficial CM GB ROM.

Yeah, I've tried thw CM7 alpha 1 release which lavks support for camera,gps amd hardware acceleration.

But overall experience is too good, only thing that borhered me was the battery getting too hot while charging

^

There is an Alpha 4 out. Guess would need to wait for RC1 before it can be used as daily ROM.

Hai, I am new to this forum & joined this forum to know more about the Beautiful Samsung Epic 4G & its usability in India. I am very fond of this phone. I had almost bought this phone recently but restrained myself at the last minute for two reasons 1) it's a cdma phone with no sim slot, 2) not sure whether I can use it for data usage(which is one of the important thing for me), so I want to know more about this phone & its usability in India. As i read some posts in this forum, i got to know that we can use reliance evdo data network on this phone(but there is no particular information how to make EVDO work on this phone). Mainly I want to know two things about this phone, first & foremost How easy to change networks on this phone(as i can do with any other cdma phones with sim slot). In other words can I toggle between networks whenver I want as I can do with simslot featured cdma phones just by changing the sim card. I ask this question because in my area Reliance EVDO doesn't work(only cdma 1x speeds), so I have to use Tata Photon Plus or MTS Mblaze and also I don't want to be constrained to one network. So, please if any one has the idea regarding this please let me know. Secondly, if i buy this phone & take this phone to the people from reliance or Tata Indicom or MTS, can they make this phone(porting a number to this phone) work on their network fully(both voice & Evdo data).

Sorry if this is not the right place to post my quries.

Epic is beautiful no doubt. Perhaps the most powerful phone on cdma presently. If bought from one of the sellers on the forum here, the phone would be provisioned for activation with reliance. If you look hard enough you might find one with evdo data provisioned too. However, changing networks with it might not be entirely possible. So only if you're sure you want reliance call and data provisioned epic then search in the buy sell forum.

Battery Icon Mod 1.0

General Description

Battery Icon Mod is a general app (root required) for turning the standard battery icon into something more useful and more sophisticated.

Important

Make a nandroid backup, guide how to do this with Rom Manager here.

Only choose the version that matches your device and rom. Also make sure that the rom version matches your current rom.

sc20101229164305.png22705401.png

Credits

Folks at XDA.

Edited by dipanlahiri
  • Like 1

Dhiraj ji this one does not ship to India, what screen protector/pouch do you use?

Requires root

Battery Icon Mod 1.0

Only choose the version that matches your device and rom. Also make sure that the rom version matches your current rom.

sc20101229164305.png22705401.png

Epic Experience ROM is just AWESOME. I am getting around 45 hrs backup WITHOUT DATA and around 5 hrs of wifi

Gingerbread apparently confirmed for the Epic 4G by internal Sprint document

Source

A quick peek at an internal page at Sprint lets us know that the Epic 4G apparently will be seeing some of that sweet Gingerbread goodness, as build ED12 is being tested. It's an .rdf file, so the formatting in your browser leaves a bit to be desired (see for yourself via the source link) but the words "OSName GoogleAndroid" and "OSVersion Android 2.3" are right there in black and white.

It's been speculated that Samsung would have a much easier time developing Gingerbread than they did with Froyo, and we have already heard that the international version of the Galaxy S should be seeing Gingerbread sometime soon. And that's a good thing -- a lot of the behind-the-scenes changes take much better advantage of Samsung's Hummingbird chip and the performance difference should be pretty major. Of course there's no word or even an estimate of when to expect this..

Sprint Internal Document Link

GB coming soon? OMG That's really awesome. W2G Sprint and Samsung!

Battery circle mod flashable zip file for Epic stock EC05 only

If anyone wants battery circle mod for Epic on stock EC05, request me with the mod option you want (given here in battery tab) and I would create a flashable zip file.

If your ROM is not stock EC05 then you would need to give me the framework-res.apk of your ROM too (found in system/framework folder)

The Battery Icon Mod 1.0 application does not work for stock EC05 so I made mod through UOT kitchen and following the steps given here and here.

Sample of Version C, New charger

batfull16.png

Screenshot

snap20110416043257.png

Have attached the file which can be flashed in CWM2.5.x (tested on 2.5.1), please note this is at own risk and ensure to take backup of framework-res.apk and /data folders before proceeding. Please have nandroid so that if anything goes wrong you can revert.

Edited by dipanlahiri

I would request people to post the apps is separate topic going on here - , as these apps are common and can be used on most android phones...

Dhiraj ji yes the battery icon mod is an app and I would post it in the software thread.

But the above mod zip file which I made is only for Epic stock EC05 (post updated to reflect that). This I posted here so that any Epic user wanting to use the mod does not have to go through trouble of cooking the mod. The file can be directly flashed through CWM2.5.x.

Dhiraj ji this one does not ship to India, what screen protector/pouch do you use?

Dhiraj ji kindly let me know, thanks.

^

I am using neoprene pouch; u will need to search it on ebay for current listing; I got from ebay for around 2-3$ (dont remember exactly now)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Neoprene-Case-Pouch-Samsung-Galaxy-S-Pro-Epic-4G-L-/230559468805?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item35ae6a4d05