Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
dkaile

Sprint Samsung Epic 4G - The Beast Is Here!

For those who are rooted and like to play with ROMs, this CWM 5.0.2.7 supported by ROM Manager. so you can directly install/update ROM without going into recovery or ODIN.

More details on XDA

go through review before updating and decide on your own

check out the video for how to update the CWM

• Like 1

^^^^

Whether this can be done for EPIC in Eclair too (with no number in it)???

Edited by KanagaDeepan

Yes. But should be rooted. listen the video carefully. You read the post our can also ask video creator

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Edited by csmart
  • Like 1

Updated to EI22 today, the most painless update ever. No need to reinstall anything, the radio stayed fine and data did not need to be reprogrammed.

Here is what i followed:

Was on Stock EC05 rooted with sprint bloatware removed

Downloaded this rom put in on my sd card and and installed it via recovery http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1339579 ( i used update 3)

Got EI22 on the phone with all my apps and contacts preserved. Even the home widgets did not get affected. But the modem remained as EC05 so next step i flashed this zip via recovery. http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1339401

So now running a clean near stock GB with the latest modem.

I was rooted with Stock EC05.

Used the above method. Simply a breeze. In less than 5 minutes was on EI22 - with all desktop and other app settings in tact. No bugs thus far. Have used the latest version, 6 I guess, of Mostly Stock

The GPS fix is fab - especially in this ROM. I get a fix in a few seconds at max - which used to take minutes on end earlier. What a shame that Samsung takes so long to get the latest s/w for the powerful hardware they provide.

I am facing strange problem while travelling in train. If connect charger to the phone, touch stops working. the bottom buttons work fine. but there is no response to touch. I use same charger everywhere. Only in trains, I found this problem. everywhere else, there is no prob. did anyone face this issue?

^ ^ ^ unstable power supply?

^

Exactly, its the case of overdose of power..

The charging circuit cuts power to save the battery from any harm..

When I bought new Evo 3d, the charger came along gave similar problem. I verified that power supply was not consistent and thats the screen locked itself..

ok. may be power in coaches fluctuating.

Edited by csmart

You might also face the same problem if you use any local chinese low cost chargers instead of original or oem quality.

tried no of times upgrading to EI22 with OTA update notification, but it stucks in between and never upgrades, hence continue to be on ec05 on my rooted samsung epic. Need help...

tried no of times upgrading to EI22 with OTA update notification, but it stucks in between and never upgrades, hence continue to be on ec05 on my rooted samsung epic. Need help...

You CANNOT get OTA update when you are ROOTED.

Better you flash EC05 Stock ROM and then get OTA update to EI22 and then root your phone again.

OR

Use Legendary ROM or ACS ICS.5.5 ROM which are custom ROMs and can be found in XDA website under Samsung Epic 4g section. (Prolly those two ROM are the best customized ROM out there, will surely give them a try when i find some spare time soon).

I personally like Stock ROM and then I root it remove the bloatware using Titanium Backup. I feel Touchwiz is more subtle than ADW Launcher or go Launcher.

If you want a rooted phone and still want to maintain stock i recommend this stock deodexed rom

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1339579

PS: If you are using this then will need to flash an updated nubernal kernal or any other kernel as video recording is broken with the included kernel.

I have non-rooted phone and did an OTA Gingerbread upgrade sometime back. The update was smooth and kept all apps and contact intact. I am facing few issues though -

GPS - My location doesn't get refreshed. Say i open Google Maps or Waze with GPS on, the apps recognise my location. But as i start moving on the street, my location remains the old one. Or something absolutely away from the actual location. This was very smooth before the upgrade.

GPS - Sometimes the GPS symbol is on despite me switching it off and closing all apps using GSP. This i guess uses up the battery lot more but goes away on a reboot. Found a solution on androidforums, but i have a noob question on this : Will this solution at http://androidforums.com/epic-4g-support-troubleshooting/444295-gps-locks-up.html work without altering anything in terms of registration with Reliance?

Data connection speed and availability - I can't really suggest that this is because of the upgrade. EVDO is activated on my phone. Since last few weeks the data connection has been intermittent and slow. This could be a Reliance issue but i am not sure. Has anyone else in Bangalore faced slow connection.

Charging light - When charging completes, the charging light (blue) doesnt go off for a while even after switching off the power supply. But when i unplug charger from phone it immediately goes off. But this is something one can live with.

I never faced such problem. but I am rooted and ACS ICS ROM.

I have non-rooted phone and did an OTA Gingerbread upgrade sometime back. The update was smooth and kept all apps and contact intact. I am facing few issues though -

GPS - My location doesn't get refreshed. Say i open Google Maps or Waze with GPS on, the apps recognise my location. But as i start moving on the street, my location remains the old one. Or something absolutely away from the actual location. This was very smooth before the upgrade.

GPS - Sometimes the GPS symbol is on despite me switching it off and closing all apps using GSP. This i guess uses up the battery lot more but goes away on a reboot. Found a solution on androidforums, but i have a noob question on this : Will this solution at http://androidforums...s-locks-up.html work without altering anything in terms of registration with Reliance?

GPS is a known issue with the Gingerbread update. You can try the solution you have mentioned and it wont affect your Reliance settings in anyway. In fact what the solution does is install a custom recovery and then flash the GPS fix.

U can always get root and then install the fix along with other fixes ( like removing the sms log from the phone log etc), if you are up to it.

I never faced such problem. but I am rooted and ACS ICS ROM.

I think nearly all the roms have had the gps fix built in from the beginning.

Edited by doc_anurag

Wipe the phone and check. I never faced GPS problem. When I faced, I wiped clean the phone and it is fine now.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk

Now cynagenmod 7 officially on Epic 4G.. This is MTD ROM. PLEASE ALSO SEE MTD VIDEO (NEXT POST) BEFORE INSTALLING AND MAKE SURE YOU ARE OK WITH IT.

for details click here to go to xda-developer forum

How to install video

Edited by csmart

MTD video

Review video

i was on stock rom for a long long time, but now my phone became very slow.

even dialer takes too much time to show up :(

so was thinking to switch to some custom rom with custom kernel.. need advice to pick one..

After going xda forums i picked three roms.. gurus please advice which one to choose..

CM7 + Samurai Kernel

Legendary ROM + Sumarai Kernel

ACS ICS ROM + Samurai Kernel

^^^ I am on ACS ICS ROM ver 5.5 with Samurai kernel. though the development for the same has been discontinued. it is good ROM. There minor issues like takes time to refresh home screen. but then it is manageable. otherwise good ROM.

Do not use ver 5 of ACS ICS as you cannot capture video.

• Like 1

Thank you Csmart.

+ 1 for you once I login through my computer.

I have uploaded ICS ACS ROM v5.5 for Epic. Whoever is interested can download it from here.

LINK UPDATED.

They have removed from xda and hence i've psoted here.

Video on how to isntall..

Edited by csmart
  • Like 2

Hi,

I am currently using Epic on ACS ICS Ver 5.5 and intend to move to CM7 official ROM.

Can anybody share there experience of CM7 official ROM.

Also,Please help me know that how can I change to CM7. Is it required to Odin back to stock EI22/EC05 and then Install the zip of CM7 or can I install CM7 directly from ACS ICS Ver 5.5.

Thanks.

^^^ i've already posted video and xda link for the CM7. i guess, camera has some issues, but not sure.

check this post

http://www.rimweb.in...post__p__252347

Edited by csmart

Thank you Chirag bhai.

:-)

Gonna try ACS ICS on sunday.