Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
dkaile

Sprint Samsung Epic 4G - The Beast Is Here!

Number fixer seems to be good options. as days passes, i am finding more short comings of CM9. like there is no option for fixed IP or proxy setting on wi-fi network. On my office wifi, have to use either of them.

Well you are wrong this time sir :P CM9 (or underlying ICS) have such options , just shown in different fashion.

-After you add a new wifi network (or turn-on wifi radio to detect one) , touch the wifi's name to open details in it.

- if you scroll down , it has 'advaced' tab within options. When you check it, it will open few more options to edit i.e Proxy setting and DHCP/Static IP option.

From there you can assing static-ip and proxy to your wifi network.

- it took me couple of hours too first to figure out but got it after several trial and error. Not able to send you a screenshot as I have already came back to CleanGB rom (Cm9 was posing problems with Overclocking and GPU which I need for playing GTA3)

EPIC TIMEZZ

@dev of the two, which one is better. CleanGB or CM9, if you ignore GPU and overclocking. i do not use either of them. since you have used both, you know how they are.

Well .. if are a ****er for ICS experience like me and want to show off other driod fanboys that you have ICS on your phone then have no other option but CM9. Otherwise if you need stability and fluidilty in your device CleanGB has no match (until Randomkings Thunderhawk 3.4 comes to market).

To give you a fair idea about stability of CleanGB rom. I have OC'ed to 1.5 and GPU to 300 using samurai's kernel (which isn't the most stable kernel at all) as well as flashed some Ei22 based themes over it. Still the phone never rebooted randomly on me.

So , yes CleanGB really rocks if you are not really a ICS die-hard fanboys !!!

EPIC TIMEZZ

Hey Dev i wanna install CleanGB. I just downloaded the latest from XDA. i have upgraded my CWM to 5.0.2.7, as im already rooted all i have to do is a NANDROID backup in case something goes wrong. and do the data, cache and one more wipe like demonstrated on youtube by qbking77. and then flash this ROM. am i right. did i miss anything ? please let me know as this is the first time im installing a ROM. waiting for your reply. :)

Edited by VinodNayak

Yes , you got all points covered. After taking nandroid backup , clear Data, then clear cache follwed by Dalvik cache (from advanced menu) as shown in qbking77's video and you are good to go with CleanGB install.

Let me know if you stumble any issues...

EPIC TIMEZZ

Sweet !! Installed !! Its asking me to update to EL30. now i have no idea if i should update or not. Please advice.

i have a feeling that the battery drains faster on this one, maybe because of the downloads and installs. Had JuiceDefender

on my EC05, should i install that or can you folks suggest me a different one. thanks to all for the help.

Well one way to avoid this prompt (for upgradation to El30) turnoff your phone , select yes when the prompt for upgradation to El30 is shown. It will boot into recovery and fail as you are not on stock . NO worries , just reboot from the clockwork menu and you will not get that prompt again.

As far as battery life is concerned ,I don't think CleanGB s**ks more than stock. Well I'm not very concerned about my battery life , but to high performance while playing games and using apps. What is a smartphone for then ?

EPIC TIMEZZ

Lol very true @Dev. wanted to change the boot animation. i have the full version of ROOT Explorer. /system/media does not bootanimation.zip file.

i located a bootanimation(without any extension) in /system/bin but was scared to replace it with the a diff one. if you have any idea please help.

thanks again :)

Q: Where is the bootanimation.zip and how can I change the boot animation?

A: The stock boot animation is actually contained in the framework-res.apk file. If you want to use a custom boot animation, all you have to do is place your bootanimation.zip in the /system/media directory and it will play instead of the stock one.

-- This I got from cleanGB's XDA thread . Follow this step to have custom boot animation

EPIC TIMEZZ

Thanks @Dev, will give it a shot and let you dude.

Tried it. Did not work. After placing bootanimation.zip in system/media, I rebooted to find out there was no boot screen. It was just plain black. I checked the system/media folder, found a new zip file "sanim.zip". I rememer reading on some android forum, that certain android system had sanim.zip instead of bootanimation.zip. I renamed sanim to sanimold and bootanimation to sanim. The rebooted. Same thing. Nothing happend. So I moved the sanim and sanimold zip files to sd. Guess what? Everytime I MOVE the sanimold [orinally "sanim.zip"] the system automatically created one more in the same name (sanimold.zip). Tried to move it again. No luck. So I del the file (sanimold.zip), worked this time. Rebooted the phone to find the original cleangb boot screen.

Anybody got any ideas ? Regarding the sanim.zip ?

Edited by VinodNayak

The epic does not actually have a bootanimation, what is has is png files run in sequence to given an impression of the animation. The filename used to be bootanimation.zip till Froyo and is called sanim.zip on gingerbread. Please read about sanim.zip http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1312347 Ankur and I and had made some custom boot animations with the reliance logo earlier in the thread, they are basic but for testing you can download them and rename to sanim.zip and place in /system/media in rw mode, should work. There are many animations in XDA in epic themes folder you can get from there.

Thanks @Digitalnirvana. I tried the first Reliance bootanimation. It works fine. Figured out how to create a bootscreen using pgn files in sequence. Just do not have the time and paitence to create one. Thanks again.

I'm getting "can not connect to server" on youtube when click on any video in the list. Was working fine on froyo. Yahoo pushmail ain't working too. Anyone got any idea? Hotmail works fine on pushmail.

Anybody tried CM9 Alpha3?

after using Alpha 2 for few days, i am back on Marcusant V3. there is one major bug, in case of low or no signals, phone starts ringing. you have to restart 2-4 times in order stop it. this problem is documented here and expected to be solution will be in alpha 4. so i decided against alpha 3.

Phone starts ringing?

Sometimes I hear very very low phone ringing sound comes out from top speaker. But it goes away whenever I make a call.

So I generally make a call to customer care and hang up so that the sound goes away

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

U r ok with it then alpha 3 should not be a problem. It's very annoying when you are in a meeting.

abhi.r

it happens because of the notifications like msgs,missed calls etc that u missed, once u reboot or check all your notifications, u are good to go

ps: had the same problem and solved

U r ok with it then alpha 3 should not be a problem. It's very annoying when you are in a meeting.

Yeah, that very very low sound indeed is irritating when you are in a room with pin drop silence...

BTW my other concern with CM9 was Data warning notification. and Tethering (Wired/Wifi)... once the data warning pop up.. it wont let me tether.

Any solutions?

Alpha3 change log says that they fixed the Data warning... but it dont seem so.

@shadow how you solved the problem? on my phone, remains till I reboot it 3-5 times. also SMS alert reamins ON, till I read it or clear the notification from the bar.

For EPIC 4g, usb dongle for going into download mode (unbricking) when no other method works, can be done with this usb device. Tried on my epic and working fine. The same is available here http://www.ebay.in/itm/Micro-USB-Jig-Download-Mode-Dongle-UNBRICK-Samsung-Galaxy-S-Models-S2-S-II-/190628558634?pt=IN_Mobile_Accessories&hash=item2c6258f72a

Sivashankkar

• Like 1

csmart

yes, its resolved, when ever i receive msgs or have unnoticed missed calls when i switch off, it starts, and after i check all the notifications and reboot, its gone for good

i may have got lucky ?? anyway i reverted to EI22 again, that alpha build are getting on my nerves, ill alteast wait for a beta release

@Skssha sir that's only for those bricked phone where one can't go to download mode using the phone buttons. Some phone get bricked to a point where one is not able to use the phone buttons to go to download more.

The usb jig is a combination of resistors connected in a particular way, which when connected to certain phones, it goes download mode. ONLY FOR FULLY BRICKED PHONES.

Since the past few days I am unable to get data connection on the phone through Wifi. The Wifi connects but none of the apps are able to access Internet.

Data works perectly fine over 3G.

Any clues?