Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
mailgujarat

Which Is Better - 3G or EVDO?

Dear all,

please suggest..

which is better 3G or EVDO? which had a better speed.

thanks

whichever you can have at your disposal first and cheaper!!! :D

No Comparisons, at least in India where we don't have 3G till date except for BSNL/MTNL which are never comparable to anything.

Even after 3G Launch, I think EVDO will be always better, I think so as CDMa 1x is superior to GSM gprs.

I think we need a more honest debate about the question in this forum. I asked this same question but I've come to terms that the choice is that of the individual. CDMA despite its advantages is been poorly delivered by the operators here in India. The sheer dominence of the GSM players in the market will ensure that India will be more GSM centeric. Moreover, the recent move by the two CDMA majors of getting into GSM is a proof enough in itself. The CDMA guys provide you with unmatched value for money but they lack in the delivery. I think in plain technological and theoretical terms CDMA and EVDO are better but the sheer ubiquity of GSm will ensure that EVDO will always remain in the shadow. Look at the tremedous efforts some of the forum members are making to get the best handsets and accessibility to CDMA users which is what the operators should be doing.

I think EVDO is better CDMA technology is better but in the wake of the mobile situation in India you're better off with GSM/3G. I'm open to a debate on it though but I personaly think thats the point you should be thinking from.

i agree with you

i myself advise people to go for 3G , rather than turning their hair white waiting for evdo to come officially

I think that evdo scenario will change soon as once we have players like voda, doco and airtel introducing competitive 3g plans, reliance and tata will wake up and offer more flexible and easily accessible plans and options.... and as we all know and there's no debate to it that cdma is a better technology TILL LTE comes in... lol... but we are still quite far from that milestone...

Friends

EVDO will be limited to Metros only . So you can not compare these two . 3G will be

Available to all with better plans and better sets

This topic always comes up now and then and gets heatedly debated upon :) The answer totally depends on the version of EVDO you refer to in the question! - EVDO REV A promises download speed upto 3.1Mbps while EVDO REV B is the fastest with speeds upto 9.3Mbps and is currently being tested worldwide. And more importantly the speeds we drool upon are purely theoretical and varies drastically on a number of factors.

@Rajesh, I differ your post.. Aisa kisne bola ki EVDO is only for metro?? Arey here in Rajkot also we have EVDO.. ;) Rajkot is by no terms a metro.. we have metro shoes here though ;) Sad joke, I know.. lolz...

Edited by Greatest

EVDO is supposed to be better and stable than 3GSM. However, if some one ask me for Ahmedabad, reliance EVDO is very very poor. BSNL 3GSM is faster than reliance EVDO. At the same time 2.1 Mhz of 3GSM means coverage problem.

So in nutshell evdo is better if you are ready to remain stuck to poor handsets provided by both leading CDMA operators.

Our senior member Hetal is lobbying with reliance to open up evdo on imported handset, but let's hope reliance ever think in interest of its customers. If they do so, EVDO is any day better

than 3GSM.

Edited by kshah

I think that evdo scenario will change soon as once we have players like voda, doco and airtel introducing competitive 3g plans, reliance and tata will wake up and offer more flexible and easily accessible plans and options.... and as we all know and there's no debate to it that cdma is a better technology TILL LTE comes in... lol... but we are still quite far from that milestone...

Arey yaar jo 2G me nahin jage woh 3G me jagenge? We all are so adicted to reliance and cdma that we are giving excuses to ourselves since last so many years. Mental exercise jo milti hai. GSM is dull that way. LOL

^

2G mein they offered best according to me; lets the competition hot up in 3G, they will definitely wake up...

"A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush," is a proverb saying that it is better to stick with something you already have, rather than pursuing something you may never get.

EVDO one may never get.

3G GSM just 2 months away. Get it then.

Till that time ye sab technicalities ko chhodo!! Abhi to 1x sabse beheter hai bhai!! :SI:

whatever u say the reality as on date is

people want hi speed data on phones , and its so sad when people all over world use it and we still use gprs as bad speeds

we have evdo , but not all have it , and will get it anytime soon , atleast with advent of 3G in next 2 months many people will get access to 3G services , whethe crappy or bad coverage , main point is they will atleast be able to get it

as far as evdo goes , its anyday better , but whats the point onn dicussing whats better , point is to discuss of those thing which is available at this point to aam janta

3G in coverage has got more more points than coverage of evdo, 3G works even in villages :)

EVDO one may never get.

3G GSM just 2 months away. Get it then.

Abhi to 1x sabse beheter hai bhai!!

I agree. I've found 1X is highly stable in Indian standard as compared to GPRS or EDGE. And very few places are covered/going to be covered with EVDO signal.

See, my question about data usage is lying unanswered for 4days in EPIC vs EVO vs Incredible debate. When I asked whether anybody was using data on EPIC, nobody answered. Otherwise the thread was quite live.

It's astonishing to see that some people are using these high end handsets for fun only. Without data, such costly handsets' one half stay unutilized.

However steady and fast EVDO can be, with the present scenario of difficulty of activation of handset, non-availability of OMH super-high end handsets, easy availability of 3G, ease of change of handset in GSM (just take out the SIM and put it in another handset) will definitely play havoc in handset market of costly gadgets after the ensuing MNP launch. The sellers in RIMweb are already handicap of losing buyers from Tata subscribers base.

code division multiple access delivers all channel slots to the subscriber. Evdo is best data pack available on mobility. Reliance CDMA network is world's top mobile network after Sprint. I am using Reliance since 2004 like a dream, without any hiccups.

@Sougata

we didnt answer u in that thread , coz the answer already lies in the pics and screenshots posted on that thread

we all are using data nicely in cdma on imported phones , be it hi end or low end ,

i dont know why now a days people have started hating cdma all together

Fundamentally the topic header itself is wrong "3G or EVDO?"

Come on guys, EVDO is one of the 3G technologies.

It's like asking "4G or LTE", "4G or WiMax", "3G or HSDPA".

As per the information from all GSM service providers the 3G version to be launched in India is HSDPA.

Within HSDPA, there are different versions giving speeds like 3.6, 7.2, 10.2 or 14.4 Mbps.

I feel cities will be covered with 10.2/14.4 version and towns with 7.2 version. Villages nobody knows whether it'll covered in the next 5 years at all.

So I request admins to change the topic heading to "HSDPA or EVDO".

Now, coming to the topic, I feel HSDPA is better technology for cities and EVDO is better technolgy for towns/villages. The reason being HSDPA requires more towers to cover the area than GSM which in itself requires more towers than EVDO.

Hence when the towers are close to each other, automatically average farthest distance from tower for any device becomes very minimum which in turn provide better customer experience.

Deploying HSDPA is a high cost activity, hence dual tech operators will certainly go for EVDO coverage in towns and villages due its inherent requirement of less towers to cover more sq.km. Dual mode 3G handsets and USB modems is the only way forward.

As of today, EVDO coverage is very very high compared to HSDPA coverage. I don't think any operator will be ready to deploy HSDPA outside the district headquarters. They'll test the uptake for next one year before investing heavily on further expansion beyond district headquarters.

PS :: EVDO and HSDPA both works in CDMA technology

Edited by kesav
  • Like 1

^^^

I am using RCDMA from Sept 2003 purchased in DAPO offer but now after MNP I am planning to exit RCDMA.

Now I don't like CDMA because:

1. Handset Choice Limited. For High End handsets you need to wait for Hack/ Crack, courier and if it does not work another worry. Need to pay before getting Handset, some people even got refurnished instead of New. Purchasing handset is itself a Problem. Warranty is never applicable

2. Data Tariff Plan RCDMA data Plans (On Mobile) are costly even compared to RGSM. At home max use Broadband

3. Handset Resale Its very difficult to sale a used CDMA handset except if you are a Professional Seller.

In case of GSM handset options are infinite. Almost every shopkeeper offers you upgrade. He will purchase your old handset and provide a discount on new. YOu can see handset as well working Demo before making payment. YOu exactly know what you are paying for.

we all are using data nicely in cdma on imported phones , be it hi end or low end ,

i dont know why now a days people have started hating cdma all together

I'm a CDMA user from the date TataIndicom started service. I'm not a CDMA hater.I've used many handsets and now love to use my hTc Touch with 1X data and GPS. I just wanted to know about the success of the techies (also sellers) on data configuration, especially 1X, as people from most of the places in India will never see EVDO signal on their handsets in coming few years.

With just 5Mhz of additional spectrum what is expected???

Speed of 10Mpbs....where is the spectrum????

Dont have high expectation from spectrum deprived operators...

Edited by SUDYEcaZ

Guys i don't think 3G would be success till next 3 years and before that EVDO wud be launched in most towns in INDIA............

And even EVDO wud be officially allowed by the government........... with extra spectrum................

Just think even after getting 25Mhz around the world for GSM 3G network is not good wht wud Indian Operators do with only 10 to 15 Mhz Spectrum including both 2G & 3G.........

Infact I think after 2 years RIL Infotel will be a game changer...

RIL Infotel does not have a mobile license