Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
cdma evdo

Bharat Berry Services Launched Officially

Bharat Berry

Indian firm launches an alternative to BlackBerry services

Fri, Oct 29 06:46 PM

Jaipur, Oct 29 (PTI) An Indian firm today launched a software service saying that it provides an alternative to the controversial BlackBerry services that have run into rough weather with the government over interception of its data. The new service, called ''Bharat Berry'', was on testing mode for the past few days and the state Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot formally launched it here today.

"The issue that the online usage of BlackBerry phones cannot be monitored by the government will be fully-solved with our service ''Bharat Berry'', a country made compliant product designed keeping in consideration with all necessary Indian laws and works with all BlackBerry and other phones," Data Infosys Ltd founder and CEO Ajay Data told PTI here. He said in order to enable access to the services, including emails, users will be charged100 per month, and to ensure access and synchronization of calendar and contacts, they will have to pay50 per month.

The Bharat Berry software can be purchased online and downloaded from the website. "The service provides advanced push-mail on BlackBerry handsets and ensures that the user remains connected to email, calendar and contacts through the servers hosted in India," said Data.

"It also provides over-the-air (OTA) synchronization of calendar and contacts to outlook, so there will be no need to take backup of attach with the computer," he said, adding that the unique service was developed with months of hard work. Bharat Berry works through a mix of its very advanced email server known as XGeNPlus and open source technologies.

Besides, unlike BlackBerry, which has servers outside the country making interception difficult, Bharat Berry''s servers are hosted in India, in compliance with security demands. "Unchecked terrorist activities are the major concern of security agencies, as it can escape detection by using BlackBerry''s coded services.

We are providing a concrete solution to the problem that has left lakhs of BlackBerry phone users in limbo," Data said. The conflict between BlackBerry and the government has created uncertainty for users.

The government has given RIM, the Canadian firm that provides BlackBerry services, time until end of January 2011 to give its intelligence agencies full access to all the its services. There are around one million BlackBerry subscribers in India.

RIM offers the BlackBerry services in 175 countries. PTI SDA TA SA.

Will this turn out to be a joke - Bharat berry instead of time proven and secure Blackberry services? I dont think it will have many takers unless RIM fails to break ice with Govt and the users are forced to switch over or face termination (which is unlikely to happen)

Amazing, they are trying to market a less secure service as a better option than a far more secure service (at least currently)!! :GirandoOjos:

Only the daftest subscriber will want to subscribe to something like this...

Edited by raccoon

Very Interesting !!

Let us hear it from experts on its robustness, usability & security rather than passing trivialising comments on the onset.

:previous: Robustness and usability may be top notch or otherwise, but security (for the subscriber) goes right out of the window. About that there can be no 2nd opinion. And surely that is not trivial for most subscribers... or is it? ... I'm not sure anymore, as most here seem to be dead against their own and other's privacy. :Equivocado: Edited by raccoon

So on foreign BB's now pushmail is possible with this software

Edited by parin

:previous: Robustness and usability may be top notch or otherwise, but security (for the subscriber) goes right out of the window. About that there can be no 2nd opinion. And surely that is not trivial for most subscribers... or is it? ... I'm not sure anymore, as most here seem to be dead against their own and other's privacy. :Equivocado:

My dear friend, I never meant your comments on security as trivial but your comments are making this new invention as trivial. Let us not pass judgement so quickly.

Edited by kesav

if parins comments are to be believed,

we can use BB services using this s/w?

it would be another lifeline at least for CDMA users

Will this be another success story a la Bhuvan, ISRO's multi crore answer to Google Earth?

It is just like any other push mail on TCP, works without BIS,

3 months free trial available, after this Rs 50 per month charges are applied.

Just Out Of Curiosity will this app be only for Blackberry devices. or can be installed on others to.

Just Out Of Curiosity will this app be only for Blackberry devices. or can be installed on others to.

Only on BB devices.

Visit their homepage - link is available right at the top of the first post.

Secure or not - but at least a temporary relief/solution for CDMA BB users.

Blackberry rocks... I dont think this will make any difference to BB market.

The biggest advantage for blackberry was for people always on the move- Roaming around the country & internationally. Without paying any extra Data Charges/ Roaming charges. I don't think thats possible with BhartBerry.

Just out of curiousness...why use the word "Berry". Are they trying to make us belive they are using same encryption & technology.

:previous:

I presume it is because they also can say BBM - Bharat Berry Messenger instead of the original BBM apart from the Blackberry versus the Bharat Berry...:rofl_200::rofl_200: And plagiarism is something we are number one in the world (maybe)

Edited by KumaarShah

Berry is used becoz this software runs only on blackberry (as of now), also while using it feels like using blackberry services.

but after using this software for a while, i think this is nothing big, it is just another software like funabol.

Also BharatBerry is using funabol code for there software, so it is not fully indian.

Still this is better option tha funambol as they have restrictions, Rs 50 is quite nominal which come to Rs600/year,

as long its costs half as much as blackberry, individual users will try it out

but corporate users will stick to their company provided / reimbursed services

i think that almost 3/4th of BB users are corporate in india at least

I am using bharatberry since few days,, and it work great. I dont think security is an issue.. what security you are talking. Blackberry is pulling emails from our/your server through pop/imap . In most cases password from blackberry server travels unencrypted, our emails are not encrypted and available without any decryption.

Contacts / calander / task and notes are synced by bharatberry sync client just in 2 minutes , i have 700 contacts. Its free till feb and after that they plan to charge 1$ (50/- ) per month. which is nothing , its definitely worth trying.

I will support Bhartberry even if its less secure (which some people here seems to think so without trying and sharing their experience about security). I think its unfair

Blackberry is great and there is no doubt about it, but i am loving bharatberry and now bharatberry software is available on Nokia phones too.

Data Infosys offers 'BharatBerry' service to Nokia

JAIPUR: Data Infosys today said it would offer BharatBerry service, which the company had claimed provided alternative to the controversial BlackBerry services, to Nokia handsets.

BlackBerry services have run into rough weather with the government over interception of its data.

"we are offering the software for Nokia handsets also, which offers more advanced push mail with over the air (OVA) backup of contacts, task, calendar and notes. It also provides sync to outlook," Ajay Data, CEO of the company, said here today.

The issue that the online usage of BlackBerry phones could be monitored by the government would be fully-solved with our service 'Bharat Berry', a country-made compliant product designed keeping in consideration with all necessary Indian laws and works with all BlackBerry and other phones the company had claimed.

"The service is free up to February 2011, and after that, the users will be charged Rs100 per month. While to ensure just synchronisation of calendar and contacts, the user will have to pay just half of that (Rs50)," he said.

"In our quest to bring down the cost of accessing emails and offering security to PIM (Personal Information Manager) data and making it available to every class of society who needs email, we will be now making available the BharatBerry software available for Nokia handsets (Symbian S60 3rd edition)," he added.

The service on BlackBerry or Nokia handsets ensures that the user remain connected to email, calendar and contacts through the servers hosted in India," Data said.

The BharatBerry service was launched by Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot last month.

At present, the software is targetted on Nokia and Blackberry handsets and by next month, it would be supporting all major mobile handsets based on Android, Windows mobile and J2ME, which will cover all major handset companies, Data claimed.

Source Economic Times

^^^

That will be good for Nokia Symbian phone users. :)

But already FREE_PushMail service is available for most E-series (Nokia_Messaging) NOKIA mobiles right... But good for N, X and C series ones...

^^^

Yes Kanaga, Free Pushmail service is there from Nokia and its really awsome. But its limited to only 10 Accounts. Thats why Bharat Berry for Nokia Symbian phones could be helpful if one have to configure more then 10 mail accounts for push mail on their handsets. :)

I dont think security is an issue.. what security you are talking.

Its free till feb and after that they plan to charge 1$ (50/- ) per month. which is nothing , its definitely worth trying.

I will support Bhartberry even if its less secure

Blackberry is great and there is no doubt about it, but i am loving bharatberry

Looks like your all for Bharatberry..

Naam bhi same, City bhi same, not a Reliance user..

Agentwa ho kaa ?

:previous:

The member IP address also shows "Data Infosys" as the ISP :grin: #selfpromotionfail