Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Arun

Mobile Number Portability service from November 25

The Hindu

Monday, November 01, 2010

Finally, India will see introduction of Mobile Number Portability (MNP) service — which allows a person to change his telecom operator while retaining his number — from November 25. “The launch of MNP services will start from Haryana licensed service area (telecom circle) on November 25, 2010,” the Department of Telecom (DOT) said in a statement on Sunday.

Pointing out that the introduction of MNP required upgrading the network and various other resources of service providers, the DoT said the networks were now technically ready for the launch of service. “To facilitate an orderly and reliable introduction of MNP services, a suitable migration plan has been evolved in consultation with mobile service providers,” it added.

Notably, Communications and Information Technology Minister A. Raja announced the new date of introduction of the MNP facility. So far, the DoT has missed three deadlines as neither the service providers nor the companies selected to deal with the service are ready with technical upgradation of the network and other telecom paraphernalia across various telecom circles.

But from November 25, mobile subscribers of the Haryana circle will have the option of changing their service provider without changing their mobile numbers. Gradually, the service would be made available in all 22 telecom circles in a phased manner for which the DoT will soon issue a detailed schedule.

A mammoth task

When contacted, Minister of State for Communications and Information and Technology Sachin Pilot said though there had been some delay in the launch of the service, it had been ensured that the service was provided to all subscribers sans any technical glitches. Keeping in mind the number of subscribers being added every month and rapid expansion of the telecom network, implementing the MNP was a mammoth task.

“The MNP will make the mobile sector more competitive as companies will be forced to upgrade and improve their services leading to more benefits for customers in terms of both quality of service and its cost-effectiveness,” Mr. Pilot said.

Due to the vast scale of the project, the DoT has divided 22 circles into two geographic zones. Each zone is further divided into 11 service areas that represent cities within the zone.

well it may not look good to wait again for 25 more days but TRAI's tagline is: better late than never

and you have waited for 3 years after all, so why not 25 more days

Edited by Nirvana

Why different thread, Arun? There is already 'most well known' thread on this issue. :Confuso:

well it may not look good to wait again for 25 more days but TRAI's tagline is: better late than never

and you have waited for 3 years after all, so why not 25 more days

Waiting for another 25 days is NOT AT ALL a problem.. It is the doubt and the possibility of yet another delay in MNP launching due to yet another lame reason is the worrying thing..

Hope they do not give another deadline for the launch on 24th November. :)

I am getting MAD for this MNP!!!!!!@@@@@@@@##############$$$$$$$$$$%%%%%%%%%%%^^^^^^^^^^^^&&&&&&&&&&&&&*************((())))???

Unless you are desperate to dump your service provider prudence says that wait for a month or two for the system to stabilise, before using it.

What is wrong in doing immediately?

One's investment is going to be Rs. 19 at the max.

One's worst case scenerio is one has remain with old operator.

It's not like new technology or new service which is going to affect individual economically or emotionally for making bad choice. In such cases, we can wait for feedback but not for these kind of simple and known outcome service.

@kesav; Two things

1. The worst case is that the first guy disables you and second does not enable you.

2. They will take some time for the modus operandi to be debugged and smoothed.

You pays your money and takes your choice. I am waiting to dump my BSNL postpaid for Airtel/Vodafone. Then one day I may do likewise to my Reliance.

It seems that RCDMA is ready for MNP. I sent message from my phone "PORT 9310634209" (sms format to change operator) and got reply

"Dear Reliance customer, your porting request code number is RDD4EVBL. The code is valid for 24 hrs. Thank you."

It will be nice to leave reliance as early as possible.

It will be interesting to see the kind of offers the operators give to the customers who jump stables. I think that they will reach a CONSENSUS and not compete to a cut-throat level which will dig into the already strained revenue. High ARPU users will be pursued of course.

Karthik bhai here is another reason to say bye bye to reliance (I forgot this to mention earlier)

In june there was offer that if we activate Ebill then itemised billing will be free, I did mistake (it seems like that) by activating Ebill.

the fool person activate itemised bill instead of Ebill. In next bill I was charged for it. I called up CC and got waiver for it also file a complaint that it should not happen again,

but look at the height of foolishness and carelessness of ****ing reliance, they are continuously charging me for itemised bill since then, and I have to called up CC every month to get waiver and to file complaint that it should not happen again, but has become a recurring process.

But now for october bill, there was another low for rcom. I called up CC as usual for the waiver of Ebill but the donkey answering my call doesn't know what is Ebill ?

shame on you Anil dhirubhai :huh::huh:

It seems that RCDMA is ready for MNP. I sent message from my phone "PORT 9310634209" (sms format to change operator) and got reply

"Dear Reliance customer, your porting request code number is RDD4EVBL. The code is valid for 24 hrs. Thank you."

sms has to sent to which number?? 5XXXX?

sms has to sent to which number?? 5XXXX?

send sms to 1900

Send the SMS to 1900

Did it in Mumbai Circle for Reliance CDMA and received the following response.

Dear Reliance Customer, Your Porting Request Code Number is RM*****R. The code is valid for 24 hours. Thank You.

So it seems Mumbai Circle Reliance CDMA ready for MNP :Sorprendido:

Edited by rajanmehta

I have one BIG doubt.. Now we are getting instant response for getting the code.. Whether this will be the same situation, when MNP has started??

What if the donor, doesn't allow response SMS with code to reach one's mobile?? Especially on seeing the validity of code is JUST 24 hours???

Just sent a sms to 1900 got a reply from 1901 instantly that '' your unique porting ID is AD23***9 and the expiry date is 11/17/2010''( i have masked the numbers in between with stars as i dont know if it can be misused). The bad thing though is that Airtel charged me rs10/- for this sms.

• Like 1

GSM players want number portability put on hold till Jan with a plea that the network usage remains at its peak in this festive season. :wacko:

Read this article.