Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
sougatadc

RIMweb compatibility with Opera Mini

Opera Mini is quite good and it is considerably faster compared to Opera Mobile 10 or even Opera Mobile 9.7 beta. Internet explorer on mobile is not at all user-friendly which also lacks tabbed browsing.

I love Opera Mini for another reason, it allows opening of vernacular sites by enabling "Use bitmap fonts for complex scripts". By enabling this, I can open any Bangla site on my mobile (any other Indian language site can also be opened).

But Rimweb pages don't get displayed entirely on Opera Mini. This creates problem as at the lower side of the page, some entries get vanished. I'm attaching screenshots of my phone below (I could attach only the zoomed out first two pics to show the vanished threads/posts, the third one is of normal size, showing blank posts).

I never found any problem in browsing any other website.

Mods, please look into the matter.

post-28928-0-43999200-1288805858_thumb.j post-28928-0-66587200-1288805893_thumb.j post-28928-0-70278500-1288805912_thumb.j

Edited by sougatadc

Even I face the same problem, I thought it was a problem with my phone. I refresh the page and it shows fully. No idea about the reason...

Refreshing doesn't negate the glitch, in my case. :NOTriste:

Edited by sougatadc

Have you noticed that before this week also or from this week only? Just checking if it is to do with the last upgrade.

Have you noticed that before this week also or from this week only? Just checking if it is to do with the last upgrade.

This is an old problem, not a new one. When I installed Opera Mini in Aug'10 (new version, having 9 short-cuts on Start Page similar to Opera Mobile 10), I found this problem on our rimweb.in pages.

Opera Mobile 9.7 beta or Opera Mobile 10 can show all rimweb pages correctly. But they are much slower. Also Bangla pages cannot be opened on these two browsers, so I prefer Opera Mini.

I have checked with the developers and I got the update that the default skin is not optimized for Opera Mini. The "Mobile" skin is meant for Opera Mini browser. The default skin has complex code that Opera Mini may not render properly.

Yes. I too using opera mini with mobile skin to browse rimweb.it works perfectly. faster loading times too with mobile skin.

Edited by lijodavis

How do we change the skin settings in OM?

Scroll towards the bottom of any page and change the skin using the drop down.

Can the developers be requested to modify the script to make it browser independent?

@ arun,

I thought it was a setting in OM, but I presume now, that you mean Theme settings... So if I change from CleanCut to IP.Board Mobile, this rendering problem will be sorted out?

OT,

Will I also be able to reply from my mobile itself? Currently I am not able to reply from my mobile since a very long time. :Equivocado::NOTriste::confuse: And by the time I access RW from my laptop or desktop, the topic gets answered by someone or the other.

Edited by KumaarShah

@sougata,

When I refresh the page, 97-98% of the time it gives me the full page.

Today after you posted, I refreshed a particular page and I found that the bottom part was blank. I refreshed once again and the page loaded fully.

BTW, I am using CleanCut Theme. No idea if that will be of any help to you. And my mobile is a Palm Treo 800W running WM 6.1.

just now accessed rimweb from opera mini on nokia e50. Normal rimweb loads in full glory. No issue of any missing posts. And i have replied this in opera mini

just now accessed rimweb from opera mini on nokia e50. Normal rimweb loads in full glory. No issue of any missing posts. And i have replied this in opera mini

I'm talking about v. 5.0.3521 of March 2010 which has a very nice start page a la Opera Mobile 10. This version also allows to read Indian language sites on mobile. Which version you are using?

Anyways, there are surely issues with Opera Mini. Websites ought to be browser independent.

Can the developers be requested to modify the script to make it browser independent?

It is almost browser independent itself as long as it is the latest version of the browser. The default skin will work fine on most PC browsers and the Mobile Skin should work fine on most mobile browsers.

@ arun,

I thought it was a setting in OM, but I presume now, that you mean Theme settings... So if I change from CleanCut to IP.Board Mobile, this rendering problem will be sorted out?

Yes, there shouldn't be any problem with Mobile skin on Opera Mini

OT,

Will I also be able to reply from my mobile itself? Currently I am not able to reply from my mobile since a very long time. :Equivocado::NOTriste::confuse: And by the time I access RW from my laptop or desktop, the topic gets answered by someone or the other.

Yes, you can reply when using Mobile Skin on a mobile browser.

:previous:

:signthankspin: Arun for the clarifications.

The problem with Mobile skin is that all my devices - laptop or desktop also show the same skin when I access RW from them. Is it possible that a device should have a lock for a particular skin? Or any other way out for that?

Further when using mobile skin and accessing RW from my mobile, I do not see all the posts in a topic. But when I access RW from the desktop or laptop, I see all the posts in the topic.

And one more thing - fast reply or add reply from the mobile is not as refined as from a laptop or desktop. Maybe this is a glitch we have since we upgraded from IP.Board 2 to IP.Board 3 +. I remember I used to add or fast reply from my mobile very effortlessly.

@Rajan,

Which OM version you are using to add replies from your mobile?

And which skin you have used - is it IP.Board or Clean Cut or IP.Board Mobile?

@sougata,

Do you face any problems with replies on your OM?

@sougata,

Do you face any problems with replies on your OM?

@Kumaar,

Yes, I'm facing problem. Refreshing the page is bringing the portion I'm viewing, not the whole page. If I navigate lower portion, which was blank earlier, it requires repeated refreshing which is cumbersome. IP.Board Mobile skin also doesn't help.

Also, I used to reply from my mobile earlier regularly. Didn't reply from mobile recently after the updation. Now after you queried, I was trying to check it. I couldn't sign in from my mobile on Opera Mobile easily. The sign-in page was getting repeated. I was giving the username and password but the page was coming back again when I'm tapping on the 'Sign In' button. Finally, when it was working, i.e. when I got signed in, whenever I tapped on a 'Reply' button, in the next page I was signed out, so, replying from mobile was not possible. When I signed in from that particular page, and I tapped on a 'reply' button, I got signed out again. This is a new problem.

I also asked Rajan the same question you asked, which version of Opera Mobile he is using, he didn't reply.

@Arun

Mobile skin of IP.Board isn't helping. Please look into the matter. IE on mobile is working (signing in or replying is possible) but it is too slow and user interface, zooming, navigation is not good. I don't like to use.

Edited by sougatadc

:signthankspin: sougata for your replies.

Another thing you have omitted is that in IE mobile, you consume a lot of MBs as compared to OM. And now with the data plans being chargeable, every MB counts fully.<br><br>And by OM I mean Opera Mini whereas you have I think inadvertently mentioned Opera Mobile. I hope you also meant Opera Mini. I am not aware of Opera Mobile.<br><br>Yes one more thing I noticed while the page is loading and you try to scroll down, it ends abruptly and thus many areas of the page show as blank. You must wait for the entire page to finish loading. And you must set the image quality a notch down - I changed it from high quality to medium quality. When you have high quality images set, you also consume a lot of MBs which you already know, but also pages load very late. <br>

Edited by KumaarShah

The problem with Mobile skin is that all my devices - laptop or desktop also show the same skin when I access RW from them. Is it possible that a device should have a lock for a particular skin? Or any other way out for that?

Enable the Show Mobile View/Site (or similar) option in Opera Mobile. That will force you to use the Mobile Skin automatically on Opera Mobile.

Further when using mobile skin and accessing RW from my mobile, I do not see all the posts in a topic. But when I access RW from the desktop or laptop, I see all the posts in the topic.

Mobile Skin will show all replies (15 per page) in the topic.

And one more thing - fast reply or add reply from the mobile is not as refined as from a laptop or desktop. Maybe this is a glitch we have since we upgraded from IP.Board 2 to IP.Board 3 +. I remember I used to add or fast reply from my mobile very effortlessly.

The Mobile skin for IP.Board 2.x (called Lo-Fi) never had a reply option. If you saw a reply option in IP.Board 2.x then you were using the default skin. IP.Board 3.x has the normal reply option for Mobile skin if you are logged in.

Yes, Kumaar, I wrongly termed it Opera Mobile, it should be Opera Mini. I use version 5.0.3521. I haven't tried Skyfire recently. Actually, Opera Mini's this version is otherwise very good. As you have pointed out, it is quite light, requires less data and most importantly it allows to view pages in Indian languages (Bangla, Hindi etc).

Have you noticed, IP. Board's Mobile skin is also not error-free?

Did you face the same problem as I encountered while replying? Sign-in -> try to reply -> get automatically signed out.

@Arun

Mobile skin of IP.Board isn't helping. Please look into the matter. IE on mobile is working (signing in or replying is possible) but it is too slow and user interface, zooming, navigation is not good. I don't like to use.

Can you tell me what exactly is the issue when using Mobile Skin on Opera Mini?

@Arun

Can you tell me what exactly is the issue when using Mobile Skin on Opera Mini?

Signing in with Opera Mini is not easy. When I started checking on the replying option the sign-in page was getting repeated. I was giving my username and password but the page was coming back again when I'm tapping on the 'Sign In' button. Finally, when it was working, i.e. when I got signed in, whenever I tapped on a 'Reply' button, in the next page I was signed out, so, replying from mobile was not possible. When I signed in from that particular page, and I tapped on a 'reply' button, I got signed out again.

I was trying on normal skin and mobile skin both.

Edited by sougatadc

this is a reply using Opera Mini 5.01 on Nokia N82

Just tried the above reply and it went through, though I had to submit twice; but without having to re-login.