Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
parin

Turn Your Laptop Into Wifi Hot Spot

Nice share parin.....+1 from me

WOW.... :thumb: +1 for your efforts bhai.. People really needed this.. :)

Good Find Parin Bhai !!!

So if u r using wired Internet no need to have a router, may be the range will not be to good

We were using this method in our hostel in our college days... just care that always enable security otherwise everyone in that range can use it and ur speed will b terribly slow...

Excellent useful post Parin. +1 for your efforts.

@harshal... i was talking abt speed bro... the pc's connected through this method are terribly slow....

@parin.. nice post parin bhai... this is the only way to use internet in hostels where only one connection is provided in each room...and also if miyan bb has only one datacard n both wants to use net; husband can use this option :-) :-P

Edited by amit.shippie

Miyan BB Wali Bat sahi hai

Actually at home we have only one laptop

So now i can at-least surf on my phone while my wife is using laptop

This was an inbuilt feature in windows & i was searching for a software to do this

but finally got to know this method & though it will be useful for lot of people

Nice find Parin bhai .

"Connectify" can also be used for the same and it's easy to use .

NIce pick - +1

Thank you Parin. I was thinking of getting a wireless router from MTNL as we have a unlimited bb connection and Two laptops and a PC at home. I haven't tried so far. But going to try today or tomarrow.

Kindly note that this requires 1 way traffic of wifi of your laptop i.e. if you are already connecting wirelessly to a network on your laptop, this solution will not work to create a hotspot (e.g. if you are thinking to use your laptop to extend the range of your wireless connection by using it as a hotspot); u need a different source of internet connection i.e. from a wired connection or a usb dongle to use your laptop as a hotspot... JFYI...

:previous:

Lets say you have a built in wi-fi adapter laptop through which you connect wirelessly to a network.

Then you put an additional USB Wi-Fi Dongle in the laptop and configure it for internet sharing.

Can you not extend the range of your wireless connection or create a hotspot by this method?

USB Wi-Fi dongle may turn out to be cheaper than range extender or additional Wi-Fi Routers.

Great Share dear Parin.

+1 from me also. :)

Rajan if ur source is a wifi connection, I don't think its possible.

:previous:

Can you not extend the range of your wireless connection or create a hotspot by this method?

USB Wi-Fi dongle may turn out to be cheaper than range extender or additional Wi-Fi Routers.

Putting another adapter dose not increase range for sure specially dongle for that you need a big antenna one that comes in router, it has to be one with wired lan

Putting another USB WiFi dongle does work (configured with a different subnet) as you can connect the 2nd PC/notebook to this WiFi dongle subnet and the 1st PC/notebook is connected to your normal wifi network. This does effectively increase the range if the normal wifi network doesn't reach the 2nd PC but reaches the 1st PC. Offcourse you need to enable sharing/forwarding/proxy between the two networks on the first PC/notebook

However, Connectify, mentioned by Tushar is the best option as it enables you to have a normal wifi hotspot rather than Ad-Hoc.

Some devices (like Palm Pre) which do not connect to ad-hoc networks can also connect.

Plus you can have multiple connections unlike simple ad-hoc mode which is peer to peer ie only 1 device will connect to it.

However, connectify only works with the newer wifi chipsets/cards which have this capability (usually not more than 1-2 years old). In these chipsets win7 also allows you to set up normal hotspot like a wifi router.

Thanks Amit Connectify makes it more easier

Here's the download link

This will work on Win7 only

Edited by parin

Kindly note that this requires 1 way traffic of wifi of your laptop i.e. if you are already connecting wirelessly to a network on your laptop, this solution will not work to create a hotspot (e.g. if you are thinking to use your laptop to extend the range of your wireless connection by using it as a hotspot); u need a different source of internet connection i.e. from a wired connection or a usb dongle to use your laptop as a hotspot... JFYI...

Bhai, kya hai? Why do you need to setup ad-hoc if laptop sees another wireless for Internet, then your adhoc peer would also see it!!! LOLz. It happens Bhai..Newton se bhi aisa hota tha. Tum bhi to hamare Newton Ho. Cheers.

Regards,

Deepak

^

mere hoshiyaar dost... pehle mera jawaab theek se padne ki koshish karo phir apni akal ladao... :Riendo:

Edited by dkaile
  • Like 1

Hi Parin & all,

I could not make this setup work with my ipad.

I have a lenovo laptop with wifi and a reliance broadband+ data card.

The ipad is able to locate the wifi hotspot created by the laptop, but cannot access the internet through the USB data card connected to laptop.

Looking help to troubleshoot.

Regards