Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
parin

Turn Your Laptop Into Wifi Hot Spot

Thanks Parinbhai great solution for me.

Yes its true this hotspot only works with Iphone & Ipads,

i have tried on BB, HTC,Samsung, palm none of the handsets detects the hotspot created by laptop

Hi Parin & all,

I could not make this setup work with my ipad.

I have a lenovo laptop with wifi and a reliance broadband+ data card.

The ipad is able to locate the wifi hotspot created by the laptop, but cannot access the internet through the USB data card connected to laptop.

Looking help to troubleshoot.

Regards

Most mobiles do not connect to AdHoc (P2P) hotspots. For android there's a workaround (search on google) but not for BB, Palm Pre etc.

However, if your wifi chip is supported (most wifi chips not more than 1 year old are supported) then Connectify runs it in the normal router mode (and not adhoc) and then it will work with all mobiles like BB/Pre etc. For supported chips win7 also runs them in normal mode as described by Parin.

Even my laptop wifi is not supported though my desktop wifi is.

:previous:

ami it would be gr8 if u can write the workaround for Android

I saved lot of money with this information. Thank you very much.

Enjoy it

Connectfiy is amazing... I use it to deal with sharing BB+

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

For that u need to keep the Latop on everytime

I think a product like Sapido is gr8 for sharing BB+

Planning to buy it soon

Yes its true this hotspot only works with Iphone & Ipads,

i have tried on BB, HTC,Samsung, palm none of the handsets detects the hotspot created by laptop

I wish to disagree with this. I had tried similar method to create hotspot from laptop, on my laptop on WinXP almost a year back. It was SUCCESSFUL & I was able to easily connect my Asus P320 phone with it to surf internet. I did not used any software, just some settings was modified for which details are available from google

At presently, I don't have any handset with wifi so can't check & additionally shifted to WIn 7. So.. I guess, it is possible to connect even mobile phones to this laptop hotspot.

regds,

:previous:

ami it would be gr8 if u can write the workaround for Android

I once got the solution from DipanLahari ji in Android sub-forum for Galaxy S phones (incl EPIC)

Also Hetal ji knows the workaround (rooted phones ONLY) for all Android phones (found somewhere in google's site)...

I saved lot of money with this information. Thank you very much.

Interesting How much and How?

I was reading this article about making the laptop work as a Wi-fi hot spot. I have a Reliance Net Connect plus USB modem with which I connect to the net. The problem is, whenever I tried to use Connectify, I was not able to make any progress. While installing Connectify, if my internet was on, the installation would hang after a certain period. When the net was off, it would install but then I was not able to connect to the net after that as I guess the software corrupted the drivers. I tried to work around the same by first uninstalling connectify, then uninstalling my USB modem, installing connectify and then re installing the USB modem drivers but it simply did not work. The moment connectify was present in my system, my USB modem was disabled.

I have a Compaq Presario Laptop running a licensed version of Windows 7 Home basic. Can anyone tell me what the problem could possibly be?

Regards to all

I downloaded the connectfy software and tried to install,but it says it's for windows 7 only.I am using xp.What is the solution?

If u are using Win7 than just Create a adhoc connection that will suffice

I was reading this article about making the laptop work as a Wi-fi hot spot. I have a Reliance Net Connect plus USB modem with which I connect to the net. The problem is, whenever I tried to use Connectify, I was not able to make any progress. While installing Connectify, if my internet was on, the installation would hang after a certain period. When the net was off, it would install but then I was not able to connect to the net after that as I guess the software corrupted the drivers. I tried to work around the same by first uninstalling connectify, then uninstalling my USB modem, installing connectify and then re installing the USB modem drivers but it simply did not work. The moment connectify was present in my system, my USB modem was disabled.

I have a Compaq Presario Laptop running a licensed version of Windows 7 Home basic. Can anyone tell me what the problem could possibly be?

Regards to all

• Like 1

Yes I guess I will just do that. Anyway, I need another wifi device to make sure that my wifi settings work :P

The ad hoc connection is not recognised by Android mobiles as a normal wifi router so that will not work if you want to share your internet connection through your laptop. I did some research on this and came up with this solution that does seem to work for me.

First my configuration. I have a Google Samsung Nexus S 4G CMDA handset running Gingerbread. My laptop has an original Windows 7 Home basic with a wifi router in built. I browse the net using my Reliance Netconnect + USB modem. As I had explained in my earlier post, the moment I install Connectify, it would corrupt my modem drivers and I would no longer be able to connect to the internet. So Connectify was no longer an option. I did also try a software called "mHotspot" which you dont need to install but just run. This too did not work for me. Finally, after a lot of searching, I arrived at the following solution: -

(a) Make sure you have the latest drivers for your wifi router. Download if required.

(B ) Open the command prompt as an Administrator (for those who dont know, this enables you to work with Admin privileges in Command prompt mode, so that you can install, modify with complete freedom). For this, click on Start button, go to Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and click on "Run as Administrator". Enter the admin password if required.

(c ) Turn on the wifi router, if not already on.

(d) Type the following in the command prompt window: (without the quotation marks)

"netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=SSID key=password" (Here enter the desired name for the network in place of SSID and enter a suitable 8 character password in place of password

(e) The following would be the response:

The hosted network has been set to allow.

The ssid of the hosted network has been successfully changed.

The user key passphrase of the hosted network has been successfully changed.

(f) Next type the following at the command prompt again: (without the quotation marks again)

"netsh wlan start hostednetwork"

You wil get the following response: The hosted network started.

(g) Next go to Control Panel>Network and Sharing Centre>Change adapter settings

This will open all the connections available in your computer including your BB+ connection and the connection that you have just created. Right click on the BB+ connection, go to properties, go to sharing tab. Check the box which says "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection" and select the home networking connection that you just created in the box below that.

(h) Now you can connect to the internet. Turn on the wifi of your phone, search for networks. Enter the password that you had entered while creating the wireless network in command prompt and click on connect. You will now find that you are on wifi network using the internet connection shared through your laptop!

Edited by rahulsid

Also, Ad-Hoc connections are highly dependent on the drivers for the WiFi card provided by the manufacturer.

Intel is very unreliable in that are. Ad-Hoc mode works very rarely on Intel WiFi cards.

Hi Rahul,

I am getting this error message after typing "netsh wlan start hostednetwork"

Error msg:

"The hosted network could'nt be started.

The group or resource is not in the correct state to perfom the requested operation. "

Sent PM.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Hi Rahul,

I am getting this error message after typing "netsh wlan start hostednetwork"

Error msg:

"The hosted network could'nt be started.

The group or resource is not in the correct state to perfom the requested operation. "

same thing happened with me

Only Ad-Hoc connections are possible, which means Android Phones or Blackberry cannot be connected with it thru WiFi :(. Android devices and Blackberry cannot indentify/scan Ad-Hoc connections.

My old PPC6700 Windows Mobile 5 was capable of connecting to Ad-Hoc connections.

^^^

yes, there seems to be the problem with individual mobile OS. I had ASUS windows mobile with os 6, which was able to connect my laptop with this ad-hoc network.

However, my palm pixie plus as well as blackberry never got connected. but, I these observations are a year old & later on , I got a wifi router @ home, so never needed to do this..

Not all handsets support ad-hoc networking. HTC incredible 2 supports connecting to ad-hoc in Verizon ROM but does not connect to ad-hoc network in Chinese ROM.

Thanks for the excellent help...

Whatever...whenever....RIMWEB has the answers...was actually struggling to find a fix for this since yday...downloaded connectify...was planning to pay for it...but luckily, thought to google on good old friend...RIMWEB..rocks...

Thanks...

Now, I was able to find the wifi network on my phone...however, I am not able to get the internet to work on wifi on my android [ :(] Attaching the screen preview..please advice if I am missing something...

2moclu1.png

Thanks

Edited by theking