Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
rajanmehta

The Truth Behind Led TVs

Differentiating LED from LCD

Either way, manufacturers - and that certainly includes Samsung - are marketing the new technology simply as 'LED' without pointing-out that it's simply an update to existing LCD panels.

"For Samsung it is important that LED is differentiated from LCD," said the spokesperson. "Whilst the key part of the technology (the panel) is the same, the backlight is obviously entirely different and manifests a greatly superior picture when compared to CCFL-backlit LCDs.

"Samsung invests a vast amount of engineering and R&D into LED technology, which is why it is treated as a premium product above LCD - and why they are positioned separately."

Henderson at Philips thinks the industry should be completely clear about what an 'LED TV' really is. "As an industry we need to take ensure that the benefits are clearly explained and communicated, particularly at point of sale," he says. "Consumers need to understand that the benefit of LED applies to LCD TVs."Manufacturers love LED tech because it commands a premium; the sale of flatpanel TVs has long been a commodity market with tiny - and shrinking - profit margins and prices; analysts at DisplaySearch report that the average worldwide price of a LCD TV have fallen by 24 per cent since 2008.

Cheap LED TVs

LED-backlit LCD TVs premium prices are quickly shrinking. "LED panel prices are falling even faster than CCFL," says David Hsieh, Large-Area LCD Research Team Leader at DisplaySearch. "Panel makers are expecting to grow their shipments through the end of the year as LED panel prices and end-market retailer prices of LED LCD TVs fall rapidly."

With LED prices crashing, there doesn't seem much point buying a traditional LCD TV without LED backlighting of some kind, but which type should you head for - Edge or Direct?

Henderson sums it up nicely for us, saying: "If you want an exceptionally slim TV with excellent picture quality, contrast and power consumption, then buy a LED Edge lit set. If you want a slim TV with exceptional all-round performance, go for a direct, local dimming set."

Read more: http://www.techradar...0#ixzz1545XaqAr

Edited by dkaile

Dhirajbhai just recently bought an LCD and not LED. Saved good amount of money due to the smart buyer he is. See here http://www.rimweb.in...post__p__204328 :Contento: Good sound info you shared.

I had been a tech freak for so many years and bought everything latest (and supposed to be the best) at earth-shattering prices. I can hardly believe today that i bought a 20Gb 5" Hard Disk for Rs 20,000 or the first multimedia kit from Creative containing a 4x CD-Rom, Sound Card at Rs 16,000. Energy of the youth i suppose. (Though don't consider me old at all, Grey Hairs of earthy wisdom after all this years).

It does not make any sense to blow hard earned money behind maturing non mass market technologies and feel the pockets of manufacturers. Current 3D TVs are another example.

Happy that many people got the correct idea to make a rational judgement. :SI:

Dhirajbhai just recently bought an LCD and not LED. Saved good amount of money due to the smart buyer he is. See here http://www.rimweb.in...post__p__204328 :Contento: Good sound info you shared.

I had been a tech freak for so many years and bought everything latest (and supposed to be the best) at earth-shattering prices. I can hardly believe today that i bought a 20Gb 5" Hard Disk for Rs. 20,000 or the first multimedia kit from Creative containing a 4x CD-Rom, Sound Card at Rs. 16,000. Energy of the youth i suppose. (Though don't consider me old at all, Grey Hairs of earthy wisdom after all this years).

It does not make any sense to blow hard earned money behind maturing non mass market technologies and feel the pockets of manufacturers. Current 3D TVs are another example.

Happy that many people got the correct idea to make a rational judgement. :SI:

Dear Rajan Bhai

Your Story is being repeated by many others .This is electronic nostalgia we must avoid . Actually it is just hype created by media .You could have saved 40000 and better donated to Vivekanand Foundation for educational or hospital fund

:previous: While I am not in disagreement about what you have suggested, let us also look at the other side too - people who buy latest products are also financing development of these new cutting edge (at that time) technologies. If nobody bought the stuff at that (premium) stage, how would products reach the mass market/mainstream stage, which is when they get cheaper.

:previous: While I am not in disagreement about what you have suggested, let us also look at the other side too - people who buy latest products are also financing development of these new cutting edge (at that time) technologies. If nobody bought the stuff at that (premium) stage, how would products reach the mass market/mainstream stage, which is when they get cheaper.

Of course sir but let Americans do it and waste their dollars and become more bankrupt Edited by rajeshkatiyar
  • Like 1

very nice info

nice article.

Any similar pointers on 3D TV technologies ?

I slapped my screen thinking your ant was crawling ON my screen :rofl_200:

Very Nice Information.

Pls. suggest a 32" TV for my newly renovated Flat.

:previous:

recently brought sony bravia 32" LCD

model no BX320 (latest compared to Bx300)

LCD TYPE : non HD/HD ready

Price paid Rs17700( purchased from dubai shop: Sharaf DG

Connection type : TATA SKY standard STB( non HD)

Prons : 14 different video format support,

FM radio, various input connection socket

cons : need good music system for full MOVIE/THEATER experience.

:previous: Is that including shipping to India?

^

bx300/320 prices in indian grey market is about 21k

Any suggestions for an economical 32" LCD with really good sound ?

I don't want the clutter of external speakers.

^

none of the good brand lcd's have good booming (aka loud) sound... though newer samsung models (2011 range) are coming SRS Surround dolby sound, still none can match a pair of good old wooden speakers....

Good post Rajan. Let me add a few points - I am all for the LED technology, since it saves quite a bit of power. Even the screen does not get as hot. In this regard the full matrix ones may be even better.

White LEDs are deficient in certain colours, so the colour rendering may not be that good. You are creating a white back lighting and then blocking out some light to deliver the image.

I have a somewhat old (1996) 32" LCD TV, and new LED laptop (you will never get 8+ hours otherwise).

@arun

I personlly buyed and carried it with me. so no shipping charge

@dheeraj

where doese grey market LCD are avialable? is it in Nehru market, NEW delhi?

does they provide bill/warranty?

On behalf of Dhiraj (as he share some info) :)

Grey Market LCDs/LEDs/Plasmas available in Gaffar Market (Karol Bagh), Delhi at very tempting price.

They do not provide bill and warranty, if you know the seller and have good rapport with him, he can give you testing warranty for 2-3 days to one week.

thanks for the info....

Friends i need some suggestions from u.... i am bit confused.... I got a gift voucher worth rs 70000. For that i can buy only one lcd tv....

so suggest me a model for this range.....

i need good quality pic and sound.... i plan to switch reliance digital dvr now i own normal rel digi dth....

thanks in advance......

No suggestions???? :Decepcionado::NOTriste: :'(

^

I bought Samsung LED 40" 2011 model UA40D5000 for 45.5k (grey)

• Like 1

Purchased 32" samsung LED 5000 series @ 33.5k gaffar mkt.

Sony's similar model was available for 36.5k

Samsung's looks is better than sony. Features are same.

Userinterface of Sony is better.

Samsung's remote is crappy looking like local chinise remote.... But who cares when you have Tata sky.

But overall not bad when compared.. price tag n looks of samsung is better. So I picked samsung.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk