Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ananth001

USB Tether Working on Palm Pixi Plus

I've got USB tether (also mobile hotspot) working in Pixi Plus on Tata. This is what you need to do

1) First download and install Terminal app from Preware

2) You will need to use vi - the default editor in Unix ( try to get the basics of vi, on how to edit files usig vi - google /wikipedia is your friend)

3) Launch terminal on your pixi , and enter the following command : mount -o remount,rw / this enables read/write access to the system.

4)The next command will open a file in vi: vi /etc/network/options

You should see a file with 3 lines starting with ipforward=no. we want to change 'no' to read 'yes' using vi's commands, then save and quit ('esc' then ":wq" then enter).

5)Edit the if-down file: vi /etc/pmnetconfig/if-down move down (press 'j') to the line that reads ${LOG} "${ECHO} 0 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward"Add # to the beginning of that line. The next line should read ${ECHO} 0 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward Add # to the beginning of this line also. This prevents these commands from happening which disables the ip forwarding.

6)Now you need to create a dummy file so that PmNetConfigManager will write to it instead of the real ip_forward file. Start by creating a similar folder to keep it in.:

mkdir-p /media/cryptofs/fake/sys/net/ipv4 then ln -s /media/cryptofs/fake /fake n -s /

Now create a 0 byte 'ip_forward' file with : touch /fake/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

7)The next file to edit is much larger and is mostly not formatted as text. It is the actual PmNetConfigManager service. Lets make a backup copy: cp /usr/bin/PmNetConfigManager /usr/bin/PmNetConfigManager.orig

Now we have to stop the service so we will be able to save the changes. type: stop PmNetConfigManager

Now enter vi /usr/bin/PmNetConfigManager search for proc/sys (use /proc/sys) and change "proc" to "fake". Now after saving, PmNetConfigManager will use our dummy file.

You can now start PmNetConfigManager tart PmNetConfigManager

8) One last file to edit:vi /etc/pmnetconfig/if-up Goto the bottom line and add a line with iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o rmnet0 -j MASQUERADE and one with iptables –append FORWARD –in-interface usb0 -j ACCEPT then save and quit.

9) finally you should make the file system read only again : mount -o remount,ro /uand enable the USBnet ethernet device.Go to USB Passthrough Control and usbnet enable usbnet enable

your phone should restart and then your pc will detect a new hardware device an RDNIS ethernet gadget. Get the driver for Pixi from

"http://giotorious.org/webos-internals/usbnet-pre/blobs/raw/master/windows/usbnet-pre.inf"

After that finishes up, go to network connections and find the new "Local Area Connection X" (X will be a number) Right click it then choose properties, then find the "internet protocol (tcp/ip)" and click it then click properties. Configure the new ethernet device to use IP 192.168.0.203 with gateway 192.168.0.202, and DNS Server 121.242.190.180

Install 'freeTetherD - Network Routing and Address Translation Service' from Preware

That's it , you should be able to tether your Pixi Plus to your PC. Please take a backup copy of all the files mentioned above before editing them. Do your own research, I've only reproduced what I could gather from Googling. Gurus please correct me if I'm wrong somewhere.

Edited by ananth001
  • Like 1

That was a nice effort ananth to help the community +1 for that