Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
parin

Help Needed To Make PC Dual Boot

Dear Friends

I was using Win7 64bit on my latop, but due to comaptibilty issues i needed Win Xp as dual boot

So i installed Win Xp on D:\

But after installation i am not able to boot Win 7

What can be the issue, can we resolve it or i need to do a full format to get Win7 back

Please Help

Hi

No need to format, by installing win xp you just have replaced booting sequences, you just need to put few files on drive C and edit boot.in

or just install Boot It NG. just few click and you are done.

• Like 1

Thanks hiteshbhai

Will try installin Boot NG & update the same

+1 for same

If you have access to Windows 7 Installation Disk, Boot from it.

Select repair your computer option

Select the Windows installation you want to repair. In your case it will be c:

Then on the system recovery options menu, select startup repair.

Dear Friends

I was using Win7 64bit on my latop, but due to comaptibilty issues i needed Win Xp as dual boot

So i installed Win Xp on D:\

But after installation i am not able to boot Win 7

What can be the issue, can we resolve it or i need to do a full format to get Win7 back

Please Help

Is this possible???

Installing WinXp on Win7...

Here we are talking about Dual boot of Win Xp & Win7

Virtually it is possible in Win7 Ultimate version to have win xp

Yez it is possible. There is software called bds edit (if I recollect properly) which will make it dual boot.

First install win 7 on xrive c then xp

on d. I will post complete process once n computer with all tools.

well it is always suggested that you should install lower version first then higher version means first install xp the install win7, other wise try to change the boot sequence as told by hitesh bhai ....

Read this - http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/8790/dual-boot-your-pre-installed-windows-7-computer-with-xp/

I think you look at this in that tutorial -

Create Boot Loader Once installation of XP is successful you can now go through and install the latest Microsoft Updates and drivers. You will undoubtedly notice that the machine is booting directly into XP at this time. This is due to XP writing it’s bootloader over Windows 7’s. To get both XP and Windows 7 as an option at the boot screen you can use the free utility EasyBCD 1.72 or their new 2.0 Beta.

well best way to make dualboot is to 1st install older verion inyour case winxp and then newer software in your case win7.

in case you have installed the win7 and then win xp simply boot the system using win 7 disk and then select the repair option try to execute the boot cfg command on the command prompt of repair window there you will see the option to recreate the boot sequence.

Thanks a lot dhiraj bhai

trying with EasyBCD 1st

Since in Boot NG i have to create bootable disk

All this hard work may not be required in majority of the cases when one wants to use XP alongwith Win 7.

Windows 7's built in XP Mode works very well with tight integration, runs all XP apps.

No zanzat to create partitions, then install xp, do the dual boot, install anti virus, drivers on xp and wasting a lot of space.

Earlier XP Mode worked only with Hardware Virtualisation Enabled CPU's only. And guess Intel hawked most of the Core 2 Duo Laptop CPU's without Hardware Virtualisation. Almost all of AMD's laptop CPU had hardware virtualisation since years.

Now with the update to Virtual PC, XP mode runs on Win 7 even without hardware virtualisation enabled CPU and works for all laptops.

Virtual PC for Win7 is not ata all good and not for us kind of guys - the only thing positive is it publish its application in Win 7 native programs list so you dont have to boot Virtual xp and launch Xp programs. how ever this can also be attained in 3rd party apps. MS Virtual PC has poor graphics support also.

look for Vmware or Virtual BOX if u need power also port management is easy in this.

AND yes coming back:

install XP first then win 7 or use what hitesh said. u have messed boot ini. BTW just go to Mycomputer>system property> advanced > startup and recovery in XP and see if it says start xp or 7 or giveg option of dual boot.

Just in case you want a shortcut, you can also run:

bootsect.exe /nt60 C:

This will boot you into win7 and then you can use Easy BCD mentioned by others above, to set up default boot and timing etc. for win7/xp/linux etc.

(replace C: with your win7 drive. bootsect.exe attached. bootsect.zip

This command rewrites the bootsector for win7 etc (/nt52 rewrites for XP etc)

Here's something FUNNY:

I always have win7, XP & at least 1 Linux Distro on all my laptops/PCs.

XP is only to fool office IT staff though. For doing their maintenance and installing/updating useless antivirus and MS Remote mangement tools etc. They do it once every month after which i never boot it and keep using win7 & linux with CNTLM proxy to supply Domain Credentials to the office domain controller.

They are very surprised that i have no files or history in Win XP even after so many years, and give me strange looks thinking that i am the biggest goof off in office who never touches his laptop at all ! :Contento:

Earlier I used to have a vmware xp copy running and paused for them but they implemented Hardware MAC based locking on the switch so i had to abandon that.

Sometimes they come & find PC Linux booted with win7 theme while I am little away from my laptop.

They will quickly sit down and start trying to search for Control Panel. Then they get really confused with PCLinux Control Centre and try to right click and open My Computer > properties - which is even more hilarious.

They they run a shell and type windows commands into it - checking and rechecking the spelling of ipconfig etc !

I keep looking from a safe distance. Finally they just tick on their Sheet that Antivirus updated etc and push off.

:Riendo:

Edited by ami1
  • Like 1

Amitabhji. The man with the mask. Enjoyed thoroughly. +1 to you. Please keep butting in more regularly. Riendo.gif

legend_of_zorro_ver1.jpg

Was able to solve the issue with EastBCD 2.0

Thanks Dhiraj Bhai

Also tried Boot it NG but was not able to understand what to to