Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Honest

Micromax's First Android Phone Coming Soon ! Andro A60 !

7000/- for Android mobile is really like a steal deal. But then what about the SHAPE...???

Mujhe toh Genius Bhau ki 36-28-24 yaad aa jaati hai. :rofl_200:

:Sorprendido: :Sorprendido: :Sorprendido: :Sorprendido: :Sorprendido: :Sorprendido: :Sorprendido::Sorprendido: :Sorprendido: :Sorprendido: :Sorprendido: :Sorprendido:

2_1_2_3_4_5_6_7_8_9_10_11_12_13_14_15_16_17_18_19_20_21_22_23_24_25_26_27_28_29_30_31_32_33_34_35_36_37_38_39_40_41%5B1%5D1253454263.jpg

:Sorprendido: :Sorprendido: :Sorprendido::Sorprendido: :Sorprendido: :Sorprendido: :Sorprendido: :Sorprendido:

Bro just dont bump into Shoaib Malik :rofl_200:

shoaib_malik_narrowweb__300x416,0.jpg

Micromax Andro A60 is actually rebranded "ZTE Penguin". For that matter even Dell's 2 new recently launched Android XCD28 & XCD35 are rebranded ZTE Racer and Blade. All this handsets are manufactured by ZTE, a Chinese Company. Added this info here just for all to know that brand like Dell is also simply picking up ZTE existing handsets and marketing under their own brand name particularly in some Asian countries.

So the Quality Difference perception between Micromax and Dell may not hold true for atleast this type of handsets. Of course the specs and features will vary between model to model. Point is if the feature set is similar, the manufacturer is same ZTE, should we unnecessarily pay a brand premium? Some premium is valid for Dell's warranty support compared to Micromax.

Do your research and spend wisely.

Edited by rajanmehta

@ Kartik

Kuch nahi hota ji yeh update dhekho....Soheb ji ka

post-24516-0-54760600-1291444072_thumb.j

aur Kamal ji ko to aaj kal chutti mili hai - i guess auntie has gone for Tirth yatra.

A major drawback from android versions lower than 2.2 is the Secondary camera for Video calling. Now in India 3G is implementing by telecom operators, but most of the android 2.1 phones doesn't have second video camera.

My vision towards Android: In the upcoming future, Google Android will become most common OS in the world and may be google can send any bugs to the android equipments which is shown in English Films.

If someone Buy in rimweb,can someone put the review of this handset,about battery life

If someone Buy in rimweb,can someone put the review of this handset,about battery life

aur Kamal ji ko to aaj kal chutti mili hai - i guess auntie has gone for Tirth yatra.

Dear Genius Bhau.....aap toh bus ekdum Genius ho. Aap toh Astrologer ho. Aap toh Gyaani ho, Antaryaami ho.....Aap toh Mahapurush ho, Mahapurush. :multi:

Actually you are very correct ke mujhe aajkal chutti mili hai. Magar apki Aunty Tirth yatra pe nahi gayee hain, mujhe he bhej diya hai usne Tirth Yatra pe samjho. :winko:

Yes, she thrown me out of the house. Ab kehti hai tumhara wajan 100 kilo se badhke 105 kilo ho gaya hai. Saara din ghar baithe khaatey PEETEY daruze4.gif rehte ho. Bolti hai, ke ghar mein ab tabhi entry milegi jab wajan 100 se kamm karke aaogey. :ranting::boxing:

Kya bataaun Genius Bhau, meri toh bahut buri haalat hai aajkal. I'm out of my own house. :( Tumhari Aunty ne meri aisi ki taisi karke rakhi hui hai. :catfight::bash:

Did you believe, I'm writing this post right from the Parking Yard of the railway station. Uff...Kitne Machhar Hain Yahan.... :cursing:

:sleep3: :sleep3: :sleep3: :sleep3: :sleep3: :sleep3: :sleep3: :sleep3:

@Rohan

My dear friend, we will put the review of this handset very soon in this thread. :)

Micromax Andro A60 Review

Quick Look:

Good

Small and light

Runs Android 2.1

Great connectivity options

Low price

Bad

Resistive screen

Plasticky design

So-So

Camera

Full Review:

Wait and expectations with the Micromax's first Android phone were pretty high when it was launched recently and has it performed to those expectations, we will find out in our review. In this review we will look at every aspect which makes Micromax Andro – A Hit or a Flop.

We first heard about Micromax's Android dream back in October, and then the rumor about Diwali launch. But finally we have Micromax Andro A60 and it is retailing for a dirt cheap price of Rs 6,999, which also makes it the most affordable Android phone in India.

Hardware:

micromax-andro-review-1.jpg

As a budget Android smartphone, and being touted as the first Android for many [at least in the TV commercial], Micromax Andro is a pretty decent looking phone. It's smaller than many Android devices and lighter too, so it fits and feels nice on your hand. And, interestingly, all my friends and colleagues, who have seen Andro – have liked the looks. Although, its back cover feels plasticky, you cannot ask for more in this price and yes – that Android figure on the back cover just adds more to the feel of it being an Android phone.

Coming to buttons, there is a D-Pad, three touch sensitive buttons, and two more buttons, which do a lot of stuff including one, which acts as the camera button as there is no dedicated button for that. On the left side of the phone is the volume-rocker, on the top 3.5 mm headset jack and on the bottom the micro-USB port. And finally we have a 3.2 MP camera, about which we will talk later.

-Display – Let's talk about one thing that disappoints me the most – the resistive display. Andro comes with 2.8 inch display with 240X320 resolution. The use of resistive display across the manufacturers have gone down, and apart from some smartphones including HTC Tattoo, LG Optimus, which came almost a year back, there are very less resistive screen Android phones right now in the market. Even Huawei Ideos, which will be priced similarly, has a capacitive display.

-The problems with resistive display start as soon as you buy your phone and switch it on for the first time – touch screen calibration. It takes multiple attempts and you start getting irritated and if you have not calibrated it rightly, you will have problems using touch all the time – like you will try to press 'Z' on the virtual keyboard and 'A' will appear.

-Using the default Android keyboard on Andro is a big pain, but the presence of Swype is a big respite. Although you might not be able to make use of Swype's true capabilities, but it provides a clean keyboard, which is useful in normal typing in portrait mode.

micromax-andro-review-2.jpg

-In other usages, touch screen can be problematic at times, but once you get used to it and have low expectations, things can be adjusted. And we Indians are so used to adjustments.

Leaving Display saga behind, let's talk about the processor. Micromax Andro comes with a 600 Mhz processor, which provides a good experience and is a true value for money. Even the pre-loaded racing game Speed Forge 3D works smoothly.

In overall daily use, Micromax Andro will not disappoint, you unless you start expecting a N1 out of it. Call quality is good, voice comes loud and clear. There are ample number of connectivity options – including Bluetooth, HSPDA, Wi-Fi and GPS.

We could not confirm the exact size of internal memory, as according to Micromax, Andro A60 has 150 MB of internal memory, but we could easily see 182 MB free in our test unit, while some apps reported even over 200 MB of free memory. Well, that's good for users; you will have a lot more space to install apps.

Software:

-Android 2.1: Thank goodness, it comes with Android 2.1. While it might not get the FroYo sweetness, but unlike other budget phones, Andro does not leave you with obsolete Android 1.5/1.6. The presence of Android 2.1 gives you improved Web browser, as well as native support for Microsoft Exchange. There are also the user-interface tweaks that were introduced with version 2.1 and you get the stock Android UI.

-Pre-Installed Apps: Micromax has pre-loaded a few apps considering the memory limitations. There is Root Explorer, Speed Forge 3D, RSS Reader and the usual Google Apps suite. There is one thing interesting here that Root Explorer is actually a paid app, which provides access of system files on a rooted phone, so why has Micromax put in that. When we asked them, it is the normal file explorer for them, and you cannot play/edit with system files, but we were able to copy system files and even take out app installer files from system/app folder. So, if you are one of those geeky types Android users, you can do a lot with Andro.

Camera:

-Micromax Andro comes with a 3.2 MP camera, which performs decently in outdoor shooting, but indoor shots can be seriously underexposed. So, do not expect Andro to replace you compact camera . There is no dedicated camera button either.

-Video recording quality is so-so, although the sharing via YouTube, Bluetooth, Messages and Gmail options are straightforward ways of distributing the content online and to your friends.

Battery Life:

-Micromax Andro scores on the battery life. We did not expect much from the 1280 MaH battery, and it seriously outperformed. If you are not much of a heavy user, it can go for two days easily, and even to the third day. For heavy users, it will not disappoint you either, but you might need to charge it daily to avoid any intra-day battery blues.

Wrap-Up:

-Finally, the wrap up. Despite its resistive screen, and other flaws, we still are quite impressed with the phone and in this budget seriously one cannot expect more and if you have more money to spare, there are other Android smartphones as well in the market to charm you.

-But as the company is targeting the first time Android users, we know they won't complain with what they are getting with Micromax Andro. Andro is more than value for money and is the right buy for those who do not want to spend a fortune for just trying Android.

Update: Oh..we missed accessories. Micromax Andro comes with a 2GB card, charger and headset in the box. Headset works fine but we would have been happy if it was a little more louder. Even on the full volume, it is sometimes hard to hear at noisy places.

Update 2: As some commentators wanted to know about Wi-Fi, and accelerometer sensor. Yes, Wi-Fi is a problem, after being connected for a long time, it stops working and you have to reconnect to get it working. Accelerometer sensor works fine, we had no problems with that.

Source:Androidos

Micromax Andro A60 Unboxing Video

Edited by rajanmehta
  • Like 1

Good Rajan good work bro

+1 for the review of this handset dear Rajan Brother. :)

@Shadab Symbian is almost 10 year old OS, and not much improved, look at android its 100 times better

By the way i did not like the shape of the phone , it looks like a electronic shaving machine.

Java....................No

confused.gif confused.gifconfused.gif

Well u never know.. some developer out there may have developed a "Shaving app" also for android... ;)

Following is the review by PcWorld

Pros:

• Inexpensive
  • Bundled 2GB microSD card
  • Wi-Fi, 3G & GPS Support
  • Cute Looks; Lightweight

Cons:

• Touch Response Is Bad
  • Phone crashed a couple of times; Apps restarted too
  • Bad Camera
  • Unattractive Resistive Display
  • No FM Radio

Features

The Andro A60 looks set to impress with some decent specs. It’s powered by a 600MHz processor and has 150MB of internal storage. A nice bonus is the 2GB card bundled with the phone, so you won’t be running out of storage space anytime soon. Imaging is handled by a 3.15MP auto focus camera without a flash. The A60 also supports Wi-Fi, 3G and GPS.

micromax_andro_a60_11_jpg_15465.jpg

The A60 runs Android 2.1 and as a result supports Google Mobile apps such as Gmail, YouTube etc. You can also download apps and games from the Android Market to meet your needs.

Design & Usability

Let’s get the good things out of the way first. The Andro A60 looks cute and is small enough to slip into your pants pocket. It’s also very light and its build quality is solid in spite of completely relying on plastic. The Micromax utilizes a central D-pad and a call-receive and call-end button apart from three touch sensitive buttons, all of which are placed under the screen.

micromax_andro_a60_12_jpg_16611.jpg

The screen measures 2.8-inches diagonally and although a little small, fits among the other budget phones available in the market. However, the screen is of especially poor quality with terrible viewing angles and a tiny 56K color output. As a result, you see plenty of color banding and even the most saturated images look dull.

The Andro also might just be one of the least usable phones I’ve reviewed in recent times and falls in with ignominious company such as the Acer beTouch E101. The resistive touchscreen is awful to use and it just doesn’t work well with the Android UI. I mean, here I am used to quick swipes and brief taps to get things done in an Android phone and the A60 comes around and forces me to gingerly tap on everything without knowing if something will happen. The keyboard was also practically unusable until I calibrated the touchscreen at least four to five times.

Browsing, Multimedia etc.

Although the Android 2.1 browser has some neat features, the Andro’s small screen and off-kilter touch UI means that usability is low. However, I have to admit that browsing using Wi-Fi at this price-point looks like a good deal. If only, the touch interface worked better.

micromax_andro_a60_13_jpg_20156.jpg

The Andro is pretty good at playing music and the audio output is loud and clear. It uses the default Android music player UI which is plain to look at but easy to use. There are no extra sound customization options and the Andro doesn’t have an FM radio either.

The Andro’s 3.15MP camera is decent for shooting casual shots but if you’re looking for good amount of details in images (especially indoors), then you’d better look elsewhere. Outdoor images look sharp with the right amount of colors. One big issue I had with the camera is that it’s claimed to be an auto-focus camera and the “auto-focus” part never comes into play. In the entire duration of my tests, the lens didn’t make any effort to focus on a subject so I don’t really know how it’s supposed to work as an auto-focus camera.

Bottom Line

Granted at6,699, the Micromax is really affordable but should it really be your ‘first Android?’ Quite frankly, no and if you can’t afford to spend about 2K for the Samsung Galaxy 5, then you’d be better off with a phone like the Sony Ericsson Cedar. The Micromax might just completely put you off the Android mobile OS instead.

micromax_andro_camera_outdoor_300_jpg_25883.jpgmicromax_andro_indoors_300_jpg_16745.jpg

Images shot outdoors and indoors with the Andro A60.

^

Angry birds also doesnt play properly; just tried...