Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Ganesh

Why 140 Character SMS ?

Well guys, i have got this phone now and its a fantastic buy for 4999.since it has a speakerphone, a downloaded movie clip plays as a small tv.and its display is good and bright.only drawback is 140 char sms. :rolleyes:

Well guys, i have got this phone now and its a fantastic buy for 4999.since it has a speakerphone, a downloaded movie clip plays as a small tv.and its display is good and bright.only drawback is 140 char sms. :rolleyes:

16422[/snapback]

140 characters is toooooooooooooooo less!!! :lol: I'd say this combined with RIM's much higher tariffs for SMSes pretty much makes it inappropriate for avid SMSers!

On my RD 2030 anything sent above 160 chars from a GSM just dosent get thru to me! Besides GSM people with concatenated SMS capibility don't really check the lengths of the messages they are sending ...and if it exceeds anything beyond 160/140 chars, it simply wont get thru to you ...and you might miss an important message! Whats more, the person at the other end even gets a 'message sent' messge!!! So think before you buy something like this guys!

Edited by raccoon

SMS is crippled.but there are others man.

if you take all other tariffs, rim is still best.u dont need to send sms at 1 rupee,just make a call at 99 paise to another mob. :rolleyes:

Lol ...calling is calling & SMS is SMS ...they are not always substitutes for each other! I don't know how you say RIM has the best tariffs ...andyway it depends on individual usage. Maybe good for those who use their phone only for calls. Anyway, that has been discussed elswhere; and a tariffs related discussion would take us way off topic...

On my RD 2030 anything sent above 160 chars from a GSM just dosent get thru to me!

16434[/snapback]

I have seen that we can recieve SMS which are 160 char from GSM on 5130. It's simply (and unfortunately) that the length checker doesn't allow U to forward or create a mesage beyond 140 characters. Another downside for SMSer is that the ΒΆ (carriage return) is missing from the symbols option so U can't create multi screen SMS.

What exactly is a "multi screen" SMS? Are you reffering to the fact that SMS with images made with symbols sent from GSM phones come up garbled on RIMs (another major drawback of RIM! :clap: ). I guess that could have something to do with the carriage return symbol...

Edited by raccoon

in have strange thing in my mobile it send and receive only 140 char sms but other mobiles use 160 char , so i receive message cut in 140 char ......i hace LG 2130 . does anyone has this problem ???

ajay

Ya ajay this prob is there in lg 5130 also but i recieve sms in 160 char only when forwarding does it get cut

This is a big prob :angry: in Lg. There is another post on rimweb abt this

Yup, LG RD 2130 supports send/receive SMS with 140 chars

LG RD 5130 supports send with 140 chars and receive with 160 chars

Its not a bug or something, but the phones were designed like that. You should have reviewed the handsets before buying !

Same is the case with LG 6130 as well.. I wonder where did LG, Samsung or rather RIM get this weird funda of 140 character sms? :rolleyes:

You guys are forgetting another major problem with Reliance! That being, if a GSM user sends you an SMS which is bigger than 140/160 characters, the message simply will NOT get thru to you ...neither truncated nor in parts! Nothing!!

I think I replied in another post that it could be their(RIM) policy to decrease ratio of sms going offnet (sms jokes etc constitute bulk of this category & are usually >140 chars) as compared to on net(for whcih they is no ADC etc) to maximize their profit.

Now thats really sick! :confuse: What if all operators start doing something like that??? I think such a move will be counterproductive for RIM - people who SMS a lot simply dont even consider buying a RIM!

Its really funny that landline has more characters for SMS than a mobile I know lg 110 is wireless but it remains more as a landline

<_< Can anyone throw a light on problem with 140 char problem? My bro had a nokia GSM phone and he increased the SMS capacity with some code by dialing it. B) Is it possible with reliance phones? I have got Samsung 191 and LG 6130. It will be a great help. :confuse:

My bro had a nokia GSM phone and he increased the SMS capacity with some code by dialing it.

U can't increase SMS capacity.

There are no such codes available even for GSM phones.

On my RD 2030 anything sent above 160 chars from a GSM just dosent get thru to me!

16434[/snapback]

I have seen that we can recieve SMS which are 160 char from GSM on 5130. It's simply (and unfortunately) that the length checker doesn't allow U to forward or create a mesage beyond 140 characters. Another downside for SMSer is that the ΒΆ (carriage return) is missing from the symbols option so U can't create multi screen SMS.

16444[/snapback]

Yea.. most of the sms I receive are 160 char long..whenever I try to fwd these sms, only half the sms comes on the screen. Then I need to shorten it and then send.... such a pain in the neck! :help:

Some1 mentioned abt the "carriage return". I want to note here that in a 2030 i could view 'certain' msgs that came from GSM mobiles with proper carriage returns. But couldn't fwd them the same way. It would switch to the earlier line.

But in the case of LG6130, the carriage return does come when the msg is Forwarded as well. But i dont know how to manually add it while creating a new msg! can somebody help?