Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Genius

Google Unveils New Smartphone, Nexus S

7aa8c897-1de9-dfd0.jpg

SAN FRANCISCO: Internet giant Google unveiled its second smartphone on Monday, the "Nexus S" made by South Korea's Samsung.

Google said the Nexus S, which follows the Nexus One, which was a critical success if not a huge commercial hit, is powered by "Gingerbread," the latest version of Google's popular Android operating system for mobile phones.

Google vice president of engineering Andy Rubin said the Nexus S would be the first Android device to ship with the new version of the Android platform.

It will be available in the United States from December 16 and in Britain from December 20.

Wow!!! Sorprendido.gif The phone to look for. Possibly the best choice in GSM Android!!

This will be sold also carrier independent, unlocked to be used on any GSM Network. FREEDOM. Unlocked Price will be US $ 529.

The Specs:

Connectivity

• Quad-band GSM: 850, 900, 1800, 1900
  • Tri-band HSPA: 900, 2100, 1700
  • HSPA type: HSDPA (7.2Mbps) HSUPA (5.76Mbps)
  • Wi-Fi 802.11 n/b/g
  • Bluetooth 2.1+EDR
  • Near Field Communication (NFC)
  • Assisted GPS (A-GPS)
  • microUSB 2.0

Display

• 4.0" WVGA (480x800)
  • Contour Display with curved glass screen
  • Super AMOLED
  • 235 ppi
  • Capacitive touch sensor
  • Anti-fingerprint display coating
Size and weight
  • 63mm x 123.9mm x 10.88mm
  • 129g

Hardware

• Haptic feedback vibration
  • Three-axis gyroscope
  • Accelerometer
  • Digital compass
  • Proximity sensor
  • Light sensor
Processor and memory
  • 1GHz Cortex A8 (Hummingbird) processor
  • 16GB iNAND flash memory

Cameras and multimedia

• Back-facing: 5 megapixels (2560x1920)
  • 720 x 480 video resolution
  • H.264, H.263 MPEG4 video recording
  • Auto focus
  • Flash
  • Front-facing: VGA (640x480)
  • 3.5mm, 4-conductor headset jack
    (stereo audio plus microphone)
  • Earpiece and microphone
  • Software noise-cancellation

Battery

• Talk time up to 6.7 hours on 3G
    (14 hours on 2G)
  • Standby time up to 17.8 days on 3G
    (29.7 days on 2G)
  • 1500 mAH Lithum Ion

Software

• Android 2.3 (Gingerbread)
  • Android Market
  • Calendar
  • Gmail
  • Google Earth
  • Google Maps with Navigation
  • Google Search
  • Google Talk
  • Google Voice
  • Voice Actions
  • YouTube

hmm looks like a good phone

ditching us again by not making cdma

Awesome specifications! And the softwares from Maps to Youtube are from Google's stable :D

@Rajan, The video seems very promising.. But voice based services are very much for the people in the states or kingdoms.. people like us in India would not benefit much because of our voice clarity/etc..

lagta hai Samsung is peaking and beating all others in hardware, and now with Google holding its hand its software side will also get a boost... but I like HTC too... they have better software development deptt....

My friend is a super distributor for samsung here he told me that Nokia will be out in a year and here it is; he is back from a company meet and he had mentioned great plans ahead, Samsung is sure to give many more surprise; sometime around new year.

Edited by Genius

^^^ Superb... Hope they bring in the Nexus S at an awesome awesome price...

isko dekh kar number portability karne ka maan kar raha hai.... lolz...

curved screen is oo la la

kahaan hai bhai mera importer aur mera credit card???

http://www.google.co...html#!/features

big-curved-phone.jpg

Edited by dkaile

Shape pasand aagayakya DK bhai, Lage raho

Good to see Samsung growing big in Handsets

feature wise its 95% Galaxy-S/Fascinate/Captivate/Epic (except for this outstanding curved screen)... but software wise, as they say on their website, its PURE GOOGLE...

Dhiraj: You are really goggling and oodling!

PURE GOOGLE Its like having pure Ghee in your meal !!!

before getting too excited, just remember that Tegra 2 is just around the corner...

Now more confuse with nexus-s launch, Samsung Galx-S? Desire? or nexus-S? or should wait for Desire HD to launch in india. :confuse::NOTriste: thanking god for delay in MNP

Edited by kepal

^

In sab mein, Nexus-S ka muqabla nahi hai... go for it asap...

mere liye to aap hi importer ho dhiraj, now 2nd problem about credit card that i have to search now as i told you earlier it's for my wife so have to complete task in 10-15 days only.

Go Google

lol

amazing phone... wonder why google dropped HTC?? samsung is making serious efforts to be the largest cell phone manufacturer... sammy also has android phone for less than 8k....

Probably you guys didn't notice in all the excitement:

- The phone has no micro SD slot. [has inbuilt 16GB memory, though].

- Plastic body. Those who have handled Nexus One and iPhone know how classy metal bodies feel... and how cheap plastic feels after that.

- No HSPA+. No AT&T 3G support. Deal breakers for lot of US users.

^

- does iphone have one (micro-sd card slot)?

- cheap plastic? have you handled one lately?

- open source in iphone?? or do u need to be stuck with itunes for ur life... lolz

- HSPA+ ?? in India?? who needs it... 3G to aa jaaye pehle yahhan par; its fully compatible with Indian 3G; and next step is LTE (4G); tab ki tab sochenge, as there is no handset for it yet (commercially) in the world, maybe Verizon's cdma iphone... lolz...

No micro-sd card is the only valid point but may not be a deal breaker for many wanting to taste gingerbread and all future updates from Android... I havnt used half of the 16gb micro sd card on my epic... lolz..

and gingerbread is taking apps to another level with special support for only inbuilt memory (read its full details)...

Edited by dkaile

Well, I wasn't using iPhone as the benchmark... I was using NexusOne.

NexusS is supposed to be NexusTwo, and it does not seem to be such a revolutionary device compared with NexusOne.

IMO, It's a step backwards in terms of 1) missing card slot, 2) no support for 3G on at&t, and 3) plastic body.

[No, I haven't handled a NexusS, but I'm assuming it's the same body as GalaxyS... which is not as impressive as NexusOne].

TMobile in US has a HSPA+ network and AT&T obviously has 3G. NexusS will be a disappointment for TMobile users, and deal-breaker for AT&T users.

You're right about keeping fingers crossed about commercial arrival of 3G in India... and then we'll know if NexusS at all works with the technologies and bands used by Indian operators.

No denying that Gingerbread is awesome... but it'll be available on the NexusOne as well. It will be snappier on NexusS because of a newer processor... we'll to to wait and see how much is this performance difference.

I was also hoping for a dual core processor, and a 'retina display' on 'NexusTwo'... but I guess I've taken it too far :)

- does iphone have one (micro-sd card slot)?

- cheap plastic? have you handled one lately?

- open source in iphone?? or do u need to be stuck with itunes for ur life... lolz

- HSPA+ ?? in India?? who needs it... 3G to aa jaaye pehle yahhan par; its fully compatible with Indian 3G; and next step is LTE (4G); tab ki tab sochenge, as there is no handset for it yet (commercially) in the world, maybe Verizon's cdma iphone... lolz...

No micro-sd card is the only valid point but may not be a deal breaker for many wanting to taste gingerbread and all future updates from Android... I havnt used half of the 16gb micro sd card on my epic... lolz..

and gingerbread is taking apps to another level with special support for only inbuilt memory (read its full details)...

^

Well for a 500$ device, the features seem more than sufficient; there's never going to be an end to the wishlist and 3 months down the line we will be talking of Tegra 2 (post#16) and LTE as standard on the newer devices; but as I have repeated this many times before, this is a vicious circle;

So as on date, Nexus-S seems the device to buy...