Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
aplomb

MEID Registering Questions

hi..i hv been using gsm phones for many years now but after seeing some great cdma phones like epic,evo etc i don mind joining the cdma network..and i m also aware of superior voice clarity nd less conjusted network that cdma offers.

but i would like to know certain things ...i hv gone through many threads in this forum and hv a few questions before i get my first cdma smart phone :)

1. As far as i know epic,evo are all foreign handsets and i hv seen people using it...so how do u make it work...does reliance nd tata etc accept foreign meids ?

2. if rel nd tata doesnt accept foreign meids...i know ppl can get it into their database by good contacts...i don mind doin this...but what if later reliance figures out that its the meid of a foreign handset...what is the worst that they can do to the customer(thats me )...can they take legal action against me (is this illegal) ??

3. Once the meid of the handset is registered in their database...and in future i want to sell or change my handset then what should i do ? since the meid of my previous phone is already registered...how do i make them change my meid or if incase i want to switch over to handsets that use RUIM card...what do i tell them...will it be easy to shift/changeover ?

4. Lastly how do u verify that 100% the meid is registered in their database...do u call up customer care nd ask ?

Please bare me for my very limited knowledge about cdma phones...all inputs from members will be whole heartedly appreciated

Thanx..:)

Let me try to answer your queries as frankly as I "can" -

1. Reliance and Tata DO NOT officially accept foreign meid's but plans are afoot to make them do so shortly

2. Registering Foreign Meid's and clo*ing are 2 separate issues; while the latter is illegal (and is strongly discouraged), the former is "perfectly" legal

3. "Officially" Registered foreign meid's face no issues of resale or change of numbers; it can be done easily at any webworld by retaining your MDN (phone no.) to that particular meid; the mdn can be changed to a ruim one at any time and this meid then becomes free for use by any other mdn

4. You can send sms GETSTAT<space>"14 digit meid number " (without quotes) to 53733 (for reliance) and know the "official" handset's meid status on their network. Just ensure that your registered meid is the same meid which is printed on the back of the handset.

Hope that answer's your queries...

Edited by dkaile
  • Like 1

2. Registering Foreign Meid's and clo*ing are 2 separate issues; while the latter is illegal (and is strongly discouraged), the former is "perfectly" legal

Thank you for ur reply.

U said that rel nd tata doesnot officially accept foreign MEIDs...so that means that ppl get the MEID in their database by some means...good contacts right..? which means that reliance is not aware that the MEID has been added..{correct me if m wrong}....i want to know if in future some way or the other if REliance figures out that MEID is of a foreign handset..what action will they take...can they take legal action..i m js bit worried...

3. "Officially" Registered foreign meid's face no issues of resale or change of numbers; it can be done easily at any webworld by retaining your MDN (phone no.) to that particular meid; the mdn can be changed to a ruim one at any time and this meid then becomes free for use by any other mdn

does this hold true...even if the MEID has been registerd without them noticing its a foreign meid...will the webworld ppl come to know immediately that its a foreign meid ?

4. You can send sms GETSTAT<space>"14 digit meid number " (without quotes) to 53733 (for reliance) and know the "official" handset's meid status on their network. Just ensure that your registered meid is the same meid which is printed on the back of the handset.

what abt other operaters...can u call up customer care nd ask directly(is it advisable to do)...and i saw on the forum that MTS is officialy registering MEID...is this true ?

Hope that answer's your queries...

yes sir...it was of great help...appreciate ur quick response...thanx again

I cannot answer your queries further, but would like to assure you that this process is genuine (if done by the right genuine people) and handsets are listed as such in their database i.e. Samsung EPIC as Samsung EPIC... I hope that answer's your query...

Edited by dkaile

I cannot answer your queries further, but would like to assure you that this process is genuine (if done by the right genuine people) and handsets are listed as such in their database i.e. Samsung EPIC as Samsung EPIC... I hope that answer's your query...

What is the Difference between MSID and mEID wrt handset registrations.

^^^

MSID is your MIN number which is just like a phone number only its for system

and MEID is your phone serial number, on which your MSID will be activated.

you use any handset programed or registered your MSID remain same for particular number . MEID / ESN / RSN changes depending on handset.

• Like 1

Np...thanx for the all the useful info :)

i just want to be 100% sure before i do this...so anybody else who would like to give their inputs on this ??

Dhiraj ji has already provided you with the information that too more than needed.

Kindly dont expect any further info regarding the same!

^^

i agree...dhiraj ji has given very useful information.:)..but if u see post #3...i hv 2 questions which are still not answered...its just them i m a lil bit concerned abt this process...would really appreciate if someone could help me with those questions..:) Thanx :)

Had already posted a question related to this but my post was not approved. The MIN number of my HTC Mogul programmed OTA on Tata Indicom after ESN registration is not the same as the one on my old deactivated RUIM. So this raises the question - does the MIN number change whenever the ESN is changed or does it remain fixed. I ask this question because now that there are Akey related problems with registering ESNs/MEIDs with Tata Indicom, am I stuck with my Mogul till these problems are resolved?

^^^

MSID is your MIN number which is just like a phone number only its for system

and MEID is your phone serial number, on which your MSID will be activated.

you use any handset programed or registered your MSID remain same for particular number . MEID / ESN / RSN changes depending on handset.

Had already posted a question related to this but my post was not approved. The MIN number of my HTC Mogul programmed OTA on Tata Indicom after ESN registration is not the same as the one on my old deactivated RUIM. So this raises the question - does the MIN number change whenever the ESN is changed or does it remain fixed. I ask this question because now that there are Akey related problems with registering ESNs/MEIDs with Tata Indicom, am I stuck with my Mogul till these problems are resolved?

In case of Tata Indicom, MIN / MSID changes if you get your no. transferred from RUIM to Non-Ruim / ESN based handset or vice-versa .

But the MIN remains the same if you transfer your no. from RUIM to RUIM or ESN to ESN .

This is not the case with Reliance, MIN remains the same whether you transfer your no. from RUIM - RUIM or RUIM - ESN or ESN - RUIM .

In case of Tata Indicom, MIN / MSID changes if you get your no. transferred from RUIM to Non-Ruim / ESN based handset or vice-versa .

But the MIN remains the same if you transfer your no. from RUIM to RUIM or ESN to ESN .

This is not the case with Reliance, MIN remains the same whether you transfer your no. from RUIM - RUIM or RUIM - ESN or ESN - RUIM .

Yeah, had same experience with my Pixi Plus on Tata

For tata MIN change happens some time,

but for Reliance Its same all the time,

• Like 2

^ For Reliance, Sometimes MIN changes when its on 2K track and the handset is not compatible.

^^^

Whats the 2k track ? never seen this

I assume by 2K track you mean CDMA 2000. Correct me if I am wrong but AFAIK when CDMA based mobile services were launched in India, it was launched using CDMA2000 1xRTT and not cdmaOne. So where is the question of changing track from 2K. Also I do not think cdmaOne handsets are supported by Reliance or Tata (but then again I could be wrong). There is the possibility though that the initial handsets could have been based on cdmaOne but this would have caused a lot of problems for consumers even though CDMA2000 was backward compatible.

^ For Reliance, Sometimes MIN changes when its on 2K track and the handset is not compatible.

Correct me if I am wrong, the operators earlier provided 2G service using cdmaOne?

No Boss...

Now the MIN Starts from 20XXXXXXXXXXX

Earlier It was from 1XXXXXXXXX

There are many handset which dont support 2k MIN, then MIN Change itself.

Nice info amitji

Never knew that

Thanks

Sorry to bother you again, but I was under the assumption that MIN was a 10 digit number. Any idea when it changed to a 12 digit one.

No Boss...

Now the MIN Starts from 20XXXXXXXXXXX

Earlier It was from 1XXXXXXXXX

There are many handset which dont support 2k MIN, then MIN Change itself.

^^^

Still MIN is 10 digit, it must be typo

I have seen lots of min starting with 2 , but never seen 12 digit min.

Edited by ::Hitesh::