Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rajanmehta

MNP - Are you Switching your Mobile Operator?

MNP Are You Switching Your Mobile Operator  

75 members have voted

1. 1. With Mobile Number Portability Available, Are You Switching Your Current Mobile Operator

• Yes, I am Switching to a New Operator
    • No, I am Pretty Happy and not switching

Mobile Number Portability is now launched in Haryana and expected to be operational all over India by 20th January 2011. If we go by the media reports, internet buzz, it seems that majority of the mobile customers will switch to a new operator as they are not happy with the present operator. But will that be the actual scenario?

MNP Experience in most countries have been different and the actual migration has not crossed more than 5% anywhere. So what do you as an actual Consumer think?

Please participate in the poll and do post your comments regarding reasons for migrating OR not migrating. Let's get the real picture.

Thanks.

Yes, I will definetely port my Reliance CDMA number to MTS as soon as the MNP will be available in my city. Because there's a network issue in my locality, which Reliance is not sorting out from the last 1 year.

Will port my two Reliance CDMA numbers to MTS. :)

All these exercises are getting redundant. The voters will get confused just like other votes (loksabha or Bidhansabha) :Silbando:

There already have been similar votes earlier here, here and here.

Only change is the voting on whether a subscriber is leaving his current operator or not. This portion can be incorporated in the first voting.

I understand and appreciate the RIMweb member community to be smart and intelligent enough to differentiate between chalk and cheese!!

Though every voter's intelligence is rated very low by being not able to differentiate between loksabha or Bidhansabha polls, i hope You all can differentiate the context between the three poles mentioned.

One says Post MNP whether you will prefer GSM or CDMA- This was when MNP was not introduced.

Second Says which operator you will move to- This was when MNP was not introduced.

Third asks Whether you will leave Reliance when MNP is available- This was when MNP was not introduced

Now here we are talking about Whether you will change your operator now since MNP is already available and in the background of media reports that there will be massive migration of customers and actual low migration experience worldwide. This is an overall assessment of how much total migration we can expect and has no direct relevance with the earlier polls.

Every Voter in India is very intelligent and smart and political parties have understood this at their own peril.

^^^

Rajan ji I agree with you but Sougata have valid point here,

on MNP why these 2-3 different poll should be there, club all .

Rajan ji i have 4-5 number of R-cdma Idea and R-GSM

for this poll user should have only only number.as i may not change my two number of R-CDMA but will change Idea to R-CDMA

R-GSM to Idea or something like that. so this poll is not for my kind of users.

Edited by ::Hitesh::

@Hitesh. Thanks mate. Let's see the validity of the point

First the Forum allows maximum 3 questions in a Poll. So i don't understand how all 3 polls can be merged with this poll and still all the questions intact. Presuming more questions are possible, Let's see how the merged poll, questions and choices will look like.

1. GSM or CDMA what will you choose

-GSM

-CDMA

2. What Operator will you Choose

-Airtel

-Hutch

-BSNL & MTNL

-Idea

-Aircel

-Spice

-Reliance

-TATA Indicom

3. Which Generation of Technology will you Prefer

-GSM

-CDMA

-HSDPA (3G GSM) (7 to 12 Mbps Download in 5 Mhz)

-EVDO (3G CDMA (Upto 3.6 mbps download in 1.25 Mhz

4. I will change from my existing operator to...

-TATA Indicom

-Reliance GSM

-Aircel

-Airtel

-Idea

-Vodafone

-MTS

-BSNL/MTNL

-Uninor

-Loop

-Reliance CDMA

-Tata Docomo

5.Will you Leave Reliance CDMA Network For other operator When Mobile Number Portability is available

-Yes

-No

6. Which Operator You will Join if You will Leave Reliance CDMA

-Reliance GSM Services

-Bharti Airtel

-Loop Mobile

-Aircel

-BSNL

-Idea

-MTNL

-Tata Indicom CDMA

-Tata Docomo

-Vodafone

-Videocon

-Uninor

-MTS CDMA

-Any Other Operator

-I am not Shifting From Reliance CDMA

7. With Mobile Number Portability Available, Are You Switching Your Current Mobile Operator

-Yes, I am Switching to a New Operator

-No, I am Pretty Happy and not switching

Now Try Voting. Looks Pretty Easy Huh!!

And it does not matter whether you have more than 1 number OR Not. Simple Question is Are You Changing any of your number!!

Edited by rajanmehta
  • Like 1

@ Rajan, Baskaro Sudama - hard work bro +1

i would switch 1-2 of my number, more may be later...

mods, pls merge topic with already existing topic... same discussion is started again...

I may switch my operators every 60-90 days till I get good coverage and better data plan at my office and home. RCDMA network in Ahmedabad is worsening so may switch my Airtel No to MTS first then may be my RCDMA to DoCoMo or Idea who ever gives me better 3G tariff and network at these 2 locations

I am sticking to Reliance CDMA for the time being, unless Nexus-S or some Tegra-2 change my mind on seeing them... but then some clone of them will come on cdma too... :confuse:

@Kshah, even I was thinking of the same as per your points of shifting to a new operator. But then, something struck my mind. Now since MTS is started in Gujarat, we can buy one new connection and use it as a spare phone (im sure we guys have many idle phones lying somewhere) and check out the connectivity by calling fellow rimwebians (and disturbing them) or others or business LL calls, etc and checking its strength, etc.

Basically what I am trying to say is that, y wait until MNP and shift current number to a new operator and then test for quality. Instead buy a new connection and utilise its potential. Try everything, and then only in one jhatka, transfer your number to the operator which you prefer.

I am now testing the DCM network. Some of you friends might receive my calls just for testing, so be aware.. lolz.. Will be getting an MTS soon as I find time..

• Like 1

@Greatest +1

Yes. Kunal. Liked your smart idea about actually checking out the coverage in the areas where one is going to use the network. Very Practical, particularly when no one network is strong everywhere. Doing this before actually shifting your primary number is good otherwise again we will have to wait for 90 Days.

All these exercises are getting redundant. The voters will get confused just like other votes (loksabha or Bidhansabha) :Silbando:

There already have been similar votes earlier here, here and here.

Only change is the voting on whether a subscriber is leaving his current operator or not. This portion can be incorporated in the first voting.

^^^

Rajan ji I agree with you but Sougata have valid point here,

on MNP why these 2-3 different poll should be there, club all .

Rajan ji i have 4-5 number of R-cdma Idea and R-GSM

for this poll user should have only only number.as i may not change my two number of R-CDMA but will change Idea to R-CDMA

R-GSM to Idea or something like that. so this poll is not for my kind of users.

mods, pls merge topic with already existing topic... same discussion is started again...

My dear friends, you all are right that there are already similar polls organised on the forum regarding MNP. But two of the polls mentioned by Sougata Brother are very old. First was started in August 2007 and the Second was started in December 2009. And the Third poll was specifically for "shifting from Reliance or not". :)

Also merging very old threads is not a good option. Naya masaala ho toh interest bantaa hai. :)

Naya masaala ho toh interest bantaa hai. :)

I am buying these words !!!

by the way as i said in one of the polls, i am not going to leave R-CDMA,

may transfer !dea to R-CDMA, ( i dont have any Idea why i am with Idea)

R-GSM to docomo (coz like the DoCoMO song )

and then Idea (R-CDMA) will be my new number for rimweb

Edited by ::Hitesh::

My Dear Rajan might have missed my intended pun.

Anyways, it would be great if there was option for nested questionnaire. The first question should start with Y/N. If Y, then proceed to GSM/CDMA, if GSM then BSNL/AirTel/Voda/Uninor/DoCoMo..so on and if CDMA then RCDMA/Indicom/MTS etc.

In this way, whole picture can be obtained...how many numbers are going to get ported, to which technology and to which service provider.

My dear Rajan please don't get angry on me so easily. With the word 'redundant' I wanted to say that all the polls that took place could have been merged to make a fruitful one.

R-GSM to docomo (coz like the DoCoMO song )

LOL Hitesh ji, good reason I must say! Wonder how many Airtel users will switch because the new song is poor compared to the old one. Also Airtel rotated Videocon's logo, might be to attract Videocon mobile customers!

Found this on the internet: http://i51.tinypic.com/2dqms2g.jpg

I will stick with RCDMA because most of my home numbers are RCDMA for long.

I second the opinion of kshah and kunal.

RCDMA network is going to the dogs...

I also might switch over to DoCoMo or maybe MTS (not very happy with MTS' voice clarity)

@sougata,

Just how many members here really vote?

So far only 40 votes have been cast and even out of this 40, seven have already deleted their votes. 19 are yes and 14 are nos.

And even if 500 or 1000 votes are posted here, it will not be a result on which the entire nation also agrees.

And BTW, do all of you really think MNP will kick in in the remaining places? AFAIK, I think the Haryanvis have been made guinea pigs for the rest of the country by all the cellcos. They will tout the poor patronage of MNP in Haryana to the GoI and block the introduction of MNP for the remainder of the country. This is a possibility that cannot be ruled out. Unless Kapil uncle is very firm.

At the most, it can be a time-pass. Sorry Rajan, about this. Hope you don't mind. Am being blunt but then this is the truth at RW. Participation is very very sketchy always. :NOTriste:

Edited by KumaarShah

No poll indicates or represent trends or any thing. It's always a good time pass.indian polls and govt are best example.

P.s. ialways vote to keep my right to complaint alive. :-)

• Like 1

@sougata,

Just how many members here really vote?

This is what I wanted to ask but couldn't because my friend Rajan would take it otherwise. He takes great pain in designing (e.g. the one for voting for the Member of the year which also didn't fare upto his expectation. The mods put in the first page of the forum, requested everybody to vote, still only a small percentage of us bothered. There is only one way left, it can be made mandatory...you vote first to add a new post :Riendo: )

And BTW, do all of you really think MNP will kick in in the remaining places?

Mobile Number Portability: Not much of a game changer

The initial reaction of the introduction of MNP in Haryana indicates minimal churn in early days but Haryana circle represents only 1% of the total subscriber base and may not give a right indication. Less than 2% prepaid subscribers and 4%-5% postpaid subscribers in Haryana circle are expected to opt for MNP noting the current porting requests in 14 days. Tata Teleservices have got about 21% of the customers who have opted for MNP while for RCom out of the total movement on postpaid, 80% are port in (those who want to join RCom). In value terms, this is 73% of the total value of port-ins and port-outs (those who wish to leave RCom) put together. RCom has been concentrating on getting only high paying post-paid customers as ARPU in this category is equivalent to 10 pre-paid subscribers while Vodafone Essar is assertive on retaining existing customers and attracting fresh high end customers. Post pan-India MNP launch we might get a better view of its effects on different service providers and 3G launch at the same time would also play important role in MNP,” says Networth Stock Broking research report.

Source : Moneycontrol.com, Dec 08, 2010

No poll indicates or represent trends or any thing. It's always a good time pass.indian polls and govt are best example.

P.s. ialways vote to keep my right to complaint alive. :-)

^^^

same logic i used when I replied on honest

Naya masaala ho toh interest bantaa hai. :)

It is true that when ever MNP will be introduced, only 4-5 percent of mobilephone users will actually move from their existing operator to another initially. In a country with millions of mobile subscribers, the figure of persons opting for another operator using MNP may appear insignificant, but one should understand the importance of MNP per se and not judge the phenomenon by figures.

Firstly, in India, the concept of loyalty towards a mobile number is not accepted and assimilated by people, predominantly because people have the feeling that to change an operator for what so reason, there is no option but to change your number. So people hop from one operator to another, changing their mobile numbers and wasting money in SMSing others about their changed number. There are very handful for whom changing mobile number matters a lot, mostly due to professional reasons. This group has stuck to its operator for years together despite the shortcomings in service it might be facing.

So far, there has been no accurate data available with any government body or mobile phone operators on how many connections any individual in the country has procured in his life time and for what reason he did that. I am sure if any such study were to be conducted, one would realise that an average mobile user has changed at least two service providers to get better service or tariff plan and in the process has changed mobile numbers at least twice. I am also sure that the figure of such persons would be huge and not limited to 4-5 percent as is being claimed by mobilephone operators. Would you not treat this figure as a benchmark of the transition users are looking for?

It will take months, may be years together for majority of people to realise that changing mobile numbers to change your operator is a passe. Now they could move without changing their numbers.

More importantly, even if one presumes that less than 10 percent of mobile users would actually avail MNP, the system of MNP is still necessary for the sake of accountability of service providers. Let us for a moment presume that since only one or two percent population commits murders in our country and this figure being miniscule, government decides to withdraw any penal provision for murder. Will it be acceptable? The issue here is not about figures but general impact it would have on people. Same applies for MNP. The MNP system would keep operators under pressure to perform and now allow them to take customers for granted.

MNP would make them accountable to every customer and not just the creamy layer of high-billed postpaid customers. One needs to look at the larger picture here and that will ensure success of MNP.

• Like 2

So far, there has been no accurate data available with any government body or mobile phone operators on how many connections any individual in the country has procured in his life time and for what reason he did that. I am sure if any such study were to be conducted, one would realise that an average mobile user has changed at least two service providers to get better service or tariff plan and in the process has changed mobile numbers at least twice. I am also sure that the figure of such persons would be huge and not limited to 4-5 percent as is being claimed by mobilephone operators. Would you not treat this figure as a benchmark of the transition users are looking for?

It will take months, may be years together for majority of people to realise that changing mobile numbers to change your operator is a passe. Now they could move without changing their numbers.

post-28928-0-53774800-1291962801_thumb.j

There has been a definite survey on this by Neilson and Networth which I attach above.

The subscribers are ready to port for different reasons like brand value, better offers, better handset options,better Value Added Services, better network coverage or mostly for tariff.

Indian telecom market predominantly comprises prepaid subscribers (more than 91%). High-end subscribers are mostyly postpaid subscribers. However it is only possible if such high end customers are unhappy with their present operators regarding quality of services and network. Therefore with rise of MNP all operators are trying to improve the quality of services so as to retain their subscriber’s especially high end users. However, such high end users will not be attracted much by low tariffs because their mobile usage expense is much lower as compared to disposable income and that is why they would like to remain stick with their present operators.

Also with the 3G launch which will provide better voice quality, lower dropped calls and improved network along with enriched VAS experience which will be enough to attract high end subscribers.

In case of CDMA subscribers MNP is going to hit more due to boundaries of limited number of mobile handset. For a subscriber like me with great expectation on high-end handset will suffer if service provider like Tata Indicom continues with their policy (not being broad-minded at all).

To grab the opportunity through MNP telco’s have started aggressive promotions & marketing campaigns along with fresh offerings for new customers, such as:

• Idea started the advertisement “switch to Idea” and is also providing many attractive offers as well.

• Tata DoCoMo has launched a section on Mobile Number Portability. The offers include free talk‐ time and Free 3G services usage.

• BSNL is also offering free talk time of Rs. 100, and free unlimited GPRS for a month.

The survey by Neilson and Networth projects that the impact of MNP might be neutral on AirTel, Vodafone and Aircel and positive on Rcom, Tata and !dea.

Edited by sougatadc

With evdo being launched by Reliance in Meerut today, my chances of porting have taken a serious setback...