Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
NC_User

Using Windows NetConnect+ on Windows XP

Hi guys.

I have purchased a Reliance NetConnect+, I have configured it and have been using it for about 2 months.

But I seem to have made some mistake, as my download speed seems to get throttled all the time. For example: if I watch a video at youtube, my speed is around 300 kbps, but if i watch 2 videos at the same time then the download speed is around 600 kbps, and for 3 videos its around 900 - 1 mbps.

similarly with file downloads, if I download from one source, the download speed is around 200 kbps, but if I download multiple files or use download managers to download from multiple source, then my speed goes as high as 2 mbps.

Because of all this I haven't been able to utilize even half of my 20 gb(10+10)DL limit.

Any help in solving this issue would be very helpful. :help:

You are under a wrong impression. If you watch 3 youtube videos and getting 1 mbps, Reliance is not throttling your speed. When watching 1 youtube video and getting 300 kbps is also O.K. if you are watching Non HD videos.

The speed of downloading a single file from internet will obviously differ based on the location of the server, its bandwidth, no. of users connected etc. When you are downloading multiple files from different sources, your net connection will download it simultaneously utilising the full data bandwidth available for your particular internet connection speed which in Reliance Netconnect+ theoretically is 3.1 Mbps.

Download Managers again utilize technologies to download the same file from different locations if available together and so naturally the speed is higher as it is connecting to different servers at the same time.

Do an Internet Speedtest http://www.speedtest.net/

DO it atleast 3 times during the day, Morning, Afternoon, Evening. If the results are anything between 1 Mbps to 2 Mbps, Everything is in order.

You are under a wrong impression. If you watch 3 youtube videos and getting 1 mbps, Reliance is not throttling your speed. When watching 1 youtube video and getting 300 kbps is also O.K. if you are watching Non HD videos.

Thanks for your response

My question is when I get 1 mbps for downloading 3 videos, why can't the same speed be maintained for a single video.

I watch videos at 360p and have never been able to watch it without a lot of buffer. IMO, it takes atleast 512 kbps to watch a 360p video without buffering.

The speed of downloading a single file from internet will obviously differ based on the location of the server, its bandwidth, no. of users connected etc.

I have tried downloading a file from download.com at it downloads at around 40KBPS, if I download 2 other files from the same download.com at that same time, then each of the 3 files download at around 40 KBPS each, so overall 120 kBps.

I am just wondering whether I may have made some mistake while configuring netconnect. For example the CHAP, PAP settings are unchecked and the DNS option is not used at all.

Do an Internet Speedtest http://www.speedtest.net/

My speedtest result is around 1 mbps, but as I mentioned earlier I never get 1 mbps, downloading a single file or single video.

Your speed depends not only on your own connection (Modem & ISP) but also on the website's connection speed/capacity.

So if the site is running out of bandwidth, your download will be slow even if you have a fast connection.

Now most webservers/sites will cap the allowed speed per connection to ensure that no single connection is hogging all the bandwidth and everyone gets a reasonable speed.

Most download managers try to bypass this by having multiple connections to download different parts of the same file - so if your download manger has 4 connections to the same file with each one downloading 1/4th of the file - then your speed will be 4 times of what you would get if you downloaded in single connection (provided your own connection can manage 4 times speed)

Um... let me just say thats its all very complicated stuff. With never ending details, disclaimers and exceptions.

All is well with your connection if you get good speeds in speedtest.net

Maybe If you download videos with a download manager instead of streaming etc. it will be quicker. Or see if the site allows faster speeds to subscribers and subscribe to it.