Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
gjp

International Roaming

I'm going to be traveling to the US in a few days and wanted to know somethings:

1. Would I be able to use my phone there (on international roaming) with no issues with Verizon since the phone was originally a Verizon phone? Also the phone had a Clean ESN when I got it (atleast that is what I was told).

2. Would updating the PRL of the phone be possible since I had the phone made to work on Reliance? I assume I can update the PRL using the standard Reliance procedures?

3. Is it possible to some how turn off the Cell Radio on the phone and just use the Wifi radio? Ala, like an "iPod Touch"...

Thanks,

gjp

1. No, I dont think so it would be possible

2. updating prl is possible but wont solve ur issue

3. Yes, you can put the phone on airplane mode and use only via wifi over there

Reliance has tie up with both, SPrint and Verizon in US.. i am not sure whether its possible or not. you can ask reliance cc whether the phones available with them works in US or not. if that works, then theoretically this may also work.. but then i dont think anybody form the forum had tried...

@dkaile, thanks for the insight. Since the phone was made to work for me by our famous Dr. and is programmed would I be able to update the PRL by following Reliance instructions to SMS 53733 and dialing *228 ?

I'll try the phone there. If it works it works, if it dose'nt then no problem. As long as the phone will work when I get back to India, no issues.

thanks,

gjp

Edited by gjp

No, it wont work

ANy particular reason it won't work @Dhiraj

@GhanshyamBhai- You can factory Re-set the verizon phone back to original state & activated on verizon Local Number in USA.

On Return to India,same phone used again on Reliance.

^

do you think activating on verizon without a proper us address and social security no. is going to be easy?? even if we presume that it has a clean esn (which I seriously doubt)?

Edited by dkaile
  • Like 1

Bad Esn for Verizon but Reliance also tie up with Sprint so not a bad esn for sprint,

So probably it would work with sprint.

Edited by vijaymalhotra_2007

^

Not under any circumstances...

Lets not debate over it. GjP will try it practically n revert back to us with details..!!

^

Have u been to the US and tried it? I am speaking after my experience...

Sent from my Samsung EPIC 4G using Tapatalk

well, here's the scenario.

as per dkaile's experience/intuition my incredible is not connecting to any US carrier's network.

i do have international roaming activated on reliance account. my reliance bought phone, Samsung Duos Touch W299, DOES connect onto verizon's network and i am able to make calls from it.

my incredible does have a clean esn, it was verified when bought. i did not upgrade the PRL on my htc incredible before i left india so that might be the case. however, i'm not sure that is the issue. it's probably the way it has to programmed to work on reliance.

if someone can send the latest PRL (with international cell tower info) from reliance for international roaming & instructions how to manually load the PRL. i will try that and see if the phone works.

:previous:

Thanks for the info.. So in my next trip abroad, I think it is better to leave my TataNumber in home..

Edited by KanagaDeepan

it seems that dhiraj has already tried... however Deepan, even you can try.. no harm in carrying there and then you can share your experience with the forum....

When i carried my epic to usa , i already had an international roaming evdo prl

After coming here , phone latched to sprint towers and calls and sms also worked , though evdo didnt work here and i got only 1X data here on sprint .

Any clean esn phone can be activated here on verizon or sprint , without need of SSN , but u need to pay a heavy security deposit of 500-600$

any bad esn phone can be activated here without SSN on metro and cricket which are cheap prepaid services and one doesnt need any deposits here .

@ Hi Dr.Mufaddal, That's good to hear.

Where can I get the International Roaming PRL for my HTC Incredible (handset is Reliance programmed handset)? Can someone who has it PM the file/PRL to me? Also, I'm not sure how to load the PRL (I've always updated the PRL via instructions from Reliance website).

I'm still here in the US for a few days and would like to see if I can get my Incredible to work here via International Roaming. That way I need only have 1 phone on my next international trip to a CDMA friendly country....

Thanks,

gjp

Try using verizon or sprint PRL - Just my line of thought - it should work. even though it will show home location- it will be charged as per roaming rates.

TRY IT. No harm.

Given the crazy costs of International Roaming what is better for most (90%+) of us is a good old Matrix card in a GSM phone.

Edited by sgiitk

yes you can load sprint prl and try

but i hope your phone is on international roaming activated

go to

http://www.corolada.com/prl/

and download prl

• Like 1