Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
city02

Evdo Technology Which Gives Upto 2.4mbps Connection

NEERAJ SAXENA

SAN DIEGO: Reliance Infocomm is set to usher in third generation mobile services in India by deploying CDMA 2000 1X EvDO technology that will enable peak data carriage speed of up to 2.4 megabytes per second.

The service will be unveiled over the next six to nine months in a phased manner. Reliance Infocomm does not intend to upgrade its entire network, but would launch EvDO (evolution data optimised) services in the top metros where it sees demand for high data speeds.

It is expected to start with a soft launch of the service in main business districts such as Nehru Place, Bhikaji Kama, Connaught Place, Nariman Point and Park Street with select high end customers (by invitation only).

When contacted, a Reliance Infocomm spokesperson refused to confirm the news, or share the details of the company's EvDo launch.

But it is understood that the Indian CDMA (code division multiple access) major is currently testing the technology among others with Lucent Technologies, which has supplied bulk of CDMA equipment to Reliance earlier.

Interestingly, Lucent has also been awarded a $30 million contract by Reliance's rival Tata Teleservices for a CDMA network expansion in Andhra Pradesh. Lucent will provide equipment, software and services to increase the coverage and capacity of Tata's network.

The deployment will increase voice capacity on the network and enable Tata Tele to offer value-added high-speed data services such as video streaming and high-speed Internet access to more customers.

Both the Indian carriers had set up CDMA 2000 1X networks nationwide that currently offer a peak Internet access speed of 144 kbps. EvDO is expected to enable higher end data services where the actual output would be around 2 mbps.

In all the areas where Reliance launches 1X EvDO services, both existing 2G and 3G EvDO services will be available so as to continue servicing the low-end as well as target the high-end segment of the mobile customers.

In launching 1X EvDO, Reliance will join the select club of operators in Asia-Pacific which have launched 3G CDMA services for their customers. These include KDDI in Japan, SK Telecom in Korea and China Unicom which plans to launch it soon.

Already, most of the CDMA handset vendors that supply to Reliance, have planned to launch EvDO models. Over the next few months, prices of these handsets are also expected to come down, making them more affordable for the Indian market, according to Qualcomm officials.

The San Diego-based Qualcomm is pushing both Indian CDMA mobile operators Reliance and Tata Tele to launch more applications based on its BREW (binary runtime environment for wireless) platform.

Some of these applications such as location-based services, weather forecasts, video-on-demand, delayed television broadcasts, high-end gaming, or push-to-talk can run most efficiently on networks that support higher data carriage speed such as EvDO.

When Reliance launches its EvDO service, it is also expected to launch some of these advanced offerings as an EvDO network can make best use of such bandwidth hungry services.

For instance, a customer may be able to access TV and engage in video-conferencing while she is on the move. EvDO will also enable access to highly data intensive corporate databases from anywhere, anytime. Both Reliance and Tata Tele are already working towards developing applications based on BREW.

In launching EvDO, a CDMA 1X operator does not have to overhaul its entire system, but the upgrade largely involves comparatively inexpensive software upgrades. After that, the operator can offer not only much more capacity and better data speeds to its subscribers, but also high voice clarity, Net connectivity, e-commerce and m-commerce.

Reliance to launch EvDO services

NEERAJ SAXENA

TIMES NEWS NETWORK[ FRIDAY, JUNE 18, 2004 11:03:50 AM ]

<duplicate of above post>

Edited by city02

Well it is a good news.. as it can be new revolution .. think then.. here ISP uses 2mbps backbone.. then after that anyone can use 2mb line, of course high charges but on there ease :P

anujit,

"News & Media/Press Releases" is only for news which released by Reliance.

For Another press news post your topic here.

Whoa !!

i hope this EV/DO thing starts in ahmedabad

Other than LG RD 7230, which all handsets support CDMA 2000 1X EvDO technology ?

i dont think it depends on the handset , it depends on the chip which the handset contains.The chip should contain evdo capabilities . To find out the chips visit the qualcomm website.

And such a chip is present now only on the LG RD 7230 handset.

Hi,

With the limited RIL CDMA-EVDO trials said to be successful, any news on the implementation schedule?

Corporate world needs PDA/phone capabilities badly. The rival GSM GPRS speed is very poor and EDGE still has teething problems.

Something like this will really hit GSM/GPRS/EDGE in the weak spot.

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=3705

Edited by Kunal Pole

whats RIL CDMA-EVDO??

Thats really great.... Perhaps we will have reall broadband then!!!!

ev-do stands for evolution - data only with peak speeds of 2.5 mbps. RIC was supposed to launch it in a phased manner from aug-2004 to dec 2004. I guess it will only be done after the new spectrum policy is announced which will be done within 10 days.

RIC was supposed to launch it in a phased manner from aug-2004 to dec 2004. I guess it will only be done after the new spectrum policy is announced which will be done within 10 days.

24529[/snapback]

I guess its aug-2005 to dec-2005

no.. it was to be done in 2004 itself.. i read the article somewhere around march last year

EV-DO is evolution in data optimized. well reliance has been launch this ev-do base PTT (pust to talk) year back on testing. now i think they gonna launch open for all basis.

Still they will not be giving data service through EV-DO as its still in testing phase:(

It really depends on how quickly the govt. moves on this. And they're not moving. And how quickly RIM can get in cheap EVDO handsets (thats a tough ask), although the LG 7130 already supports EVDO - I don't think its done well at all.

wots evdo

akshat

I dont think EVDO will be out soon. Acc to me, reliance will continue to giv more imp to rural penetration. EVDO will take atleast a year i think.

Amplifier:

I think you're forgetting that EVDO will be a "premium" service, and that means $$$$$$ for RIM! It's just that the implementation cost vs. potential revenue threshold has to be reached before they arm twist the govt and get them to pass all the 3G laws. Or do it anyways and pay crores and crores of fines!

Villages wont help boost their ARPUs it will only bring it down.... probably to sub Rs. 200 levels!

It was February 2006 earlier. But due to the unsettled policy issues, it could get delayed further.