Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rahiljnmc

Customs Duty for Shipping Used Motorola Droid X from US?

hi guys.

I purchased used motorola droid x from ebay US yesterday costing about $310 including shipping via USPS priority Mail international service. The item has already been shipped. I am from delhi

Now i realise that Used phones are not allowed to import. Is it true?? If yes what do i have to do to if it gets stuck in the customs. Mobile phone usually attracts custom duty of 4% ...but is there any penalty for used phones??

What are my chances of getting it to me with minimum charges?? plzz guys any help would be appreciated

Dont worry

its all abt money

it depends how you handle custom guy.. all de best.. no need to worry.

customs can be said to be most "corrupt tax department"

that is why very few C.A. venture into Indirect taxation.

i think this would help.

@rahiljnmc

Here is detailed info.

Since you are getting it VIA USPS, use this Website http://ipsweb.ptcmys...SWeb_submit.htm to track it till it reaches india.

Enter your USPS number and it will show you the exact status. See how the status looks like with this actual USPS Code EC669875019US

The update will stop as your parcel reaches Indian Customs as it will get stuck there for Custom Duty Assessment.

You need to Go to the Foreign Customs Department to get the shipment confirmed.

Upon request, Customs will give you an Indian Code of the same USPS Label/Receipt No. This is called BL Number.

Now request Customs to approve the shipment and value it for Customs Duty after which they will pass it on to India Post for Delivery and payment.

Usually the Customs will not bother to value the item at Actual Invoice Price shown in US Dollars but will value it at prices prevailing in the Indian Market.

So the Customs duty will tend to be higher. Use the Indian Methods here to soften the blow. Remember The Principle. Dont't quote the LAW but remain LOW and YIELDING.

Hope this helps

Be very careful while purchasing on ebay.com (US site), many times due to improper shipment and/or proper channel, the item gets blocked in the customs deptt. Better off is Ebay.in Global Easy Buy which has payment in INR and the MRP includes priority shipping and import taxes and customs prepaid by the international reseller I2C Inc. I2C is a local company handling local US purchases and forward them to the respective countries from where the order has been placed. I2C usually has a good shipping track record, and once it arrives in Mumbai, it ships the item via Bluedart.

Ebay.in Global Easy Buy process:

Day1 Buyer pays in local currency

Day2 Payment confirmed via Paisapay

Day3 I2C (newyork) procures the parcel from the seller

Day4 I2C sends to India

Day7 Item located at customs mumbai

Day10 Item given to forwared to Bluedart

Day11 Item received in original cosmetic condition

Guys I really appreciate all your help and info.

I have no problem paying custom duty but my issue is that the mobile phone is used (2nd Hand)

Is it true, that importing used mobile phones is bound to be penalised and charges are enormously high (in range of 100-110% of the original cost of the phone)

I am really scared

Dont worry Rahil u will be asked to pay custom duty at the time of delivery of your Used Motorola Droid X,USPS has tie up with the Indian EMS post, so when ever your shippment reaches u , at that time they will ask you to pay the actual custom duty, after the payment they will handover the parcel to u.

Rajan Bhai has rightly pointed out the link where u can check the status or else u can contact the local post office for the movement of the parcel.

Edited by taunk23

I have no problem paying custom duty but my issue is that the mobile phone is used (2nd Hand)

Is it true, that importing used mobile phones is bound to be penalised and charges are enormously high (in range of 100-110% of the original cost of the phone)

I am really scared

What's the point of worrying now even if penalty and high charges may be there?

तीर कमान से निकल गया है

That's why given you the whole procedure in my earlier post.

Instead of waiting for the Postal Dept. to deliver it with whatever duties, penalty by Customs...

Why don't do a personal follow up and settlement with Customs while the parcel is with them...

i had ordered a 2nd incredible and the buyer marked it sent but after 1 month i did not recieve the mobile

it was sent thru USPS priority , so i issued a case on her on paypal and after 1 month i got my money back

beacuse thses US buyers IDK but r little crazy sending stuff to India

The name of my seller was:frankmayacooper <<<avoid dealing with her

also whenever i checked the Tracking no it was showing it was delivered in Honolulu lolz

i got suspicious when she offered to send me a BB9700 till i receive the incredible.....

jus keep a track i say friend....

Guys I really appreciate all your help and info.

I am really scared

Hi,

The customs duty on mobile phone is 0 or 5% but there CVD (Counter vailing Duty) is 20%. They will charge the duty based on value mentioned in the shipping bill. So u can decide how much u wanna declare for the used piece.

You could get better deal in rimweb.

Edited by vijaymalhotra_2007

You could get better deal in rimweb.

100% Agreesignthankspin.gifprevious.gif

I am really scared

Do not worry.. in case any issues let me know.. will get it sorted.. any damn city.. RELAX...

99.99% u will be getting it delivered directly without going through any hassles of customs..

I am really scared

Do not worry.. in case any issues let me know.. will get it sorted.. any damn city.. RELAX...

99.99% u will be getting it delivered directly without going through any hassles of customs..

Thanks Sadikk Bhai!! That was so much inspiring!!

WOW...i am a new member here and have already started loving this forum.

I am really greatful for all the reply and help u guys have provided..

Cheers :)

Happy New Year Guys :)

Guys i m thinking of getting an iphone 2g used(some minor faults) from ebay.com...great deals there...should i go ahead? after reading here...a bit scared...what will be d custom charges...the phone is below 100$...so how much customs can i expect ? are there some different rules for used phones ??

Lets say I buy an item on ebay US and it is sent by the seller by USPS. And I don't do any follow with customs department on my own at any stage. Once the item arrives in customs, what will happen to it?

Will the custom department send the item to postal department with instructions on how much custom duty to collect at the time of delivery? How is the custom duty paid in such cases? I have so far avoided buying anything on ebay USA but am planning to buy a SSD drive now.

The Custom Dept. will calculate the duty to be paid and forward the item to the postal department for delivery. Custom Duty is to be paid to the Postal Dept. at the time of delivery.

Got my phone today..delivered to my place, without any custom thing.

congratulations..

ha ha ha

kitna tension le rahe the

hehehe... sahi baat hai parinbhai.... but came to know a lot about importing phones thru this thread... Cheers to Rimweb and Rimwebians......

Got my phone today..delivered to my place, without any custom thing.

This do happen sometimes. But it will be exception rather than norm.

Customs Duty do get levied in most cases and sometimes exorbitantly...Everyone should keep that in mind for import decisions....